New Certification

sea-jay

I was able to get my NITROX and AOW certs. at the same time when I took them. I heard the whole feeling less tired thing is just in your head and not really true, but I dove with nitrox on my last two dives of my aow class and then drove 4 hours home never feeling the least bit tired at all... go figure.

Mixed gas diving has been around for quite a few years, but wasn't available for sport diving until recently. The military, especially the Navy knew the benefits, but providing quality breathing gas to the public through local dive operations was the issue. I really expect that the future in sport diving will be mixed gas diving and I agree the the prices, all the way around should come down in most of the more frequented diving areas.

How's it going bruce-r and cmdchiefthom?

cal2632, You'll find out that if you do multiple dives having nitrox is a good tool to have under your belt or in your tank. Typically I will use two tanks air and three nitrox of differing EANX values in a day/night of diving. I'll do my two deepest dives on air multilevel and then use the different EANX mixes to dive a predetermined depth plan rather than multilevel dive. I can tell you i've pushed a sixth dive, at 50' or so where i'm either snapping photos or spearfishing at night. Nitrox is a viable way to extend your diving.

Thom, you would have to pay for overweight charges on the plane for all the additional gear if you wanted mixed gases (trimix). So far not many operators will accommodate for all its worth at the cruise diver level with EANX let alone advanced gas mixing. Even if gas price was cheaper someone else is going to find a way to tag you for the extras. I wish it could be economical. I think it is the future also. Maybe rebreathers?

bruce-r, you're a divaholic, lay off the nitrox it's addictive and I wouldn't have it any other way (lol)...Paul:)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived