Explorer Inside Handicapp Accessible Rooms

DFW4

Looking to book our second cruise on Explorer (we were on one of the 2-day inaugurals) and was wondering if anyone has info on the handicapp accessible inside rooms. On the website, it looks to be 260 sq ft vs the standard 160 sq feet and while neither of us is handicapped, I'm wondering what the general consensus is on reserving this room.

Of course, we would not want to take it away from someone who needs it, but if its available, is it worth requesting??

Here we go again.:rolleyes: Why in the world would you want to book a handicapped room when neither of you need the facilities that it offers??? There are so few rooms that people with handicaps have to book sometimes as much as a year in advance to be able to go at all. Yes it is a larger room, made so for the wheelchairs to be able to get in and out of the room also a lot of the room is its rollin type of bathroom.

Since you are new to this board I hope that you have made and error and would never book a handicapped room when neither of you need it. The cruiseline will say that they will move you if someone else needs it but what it all boils down to is they won't. Usually state something about privacy.

I just wish that you would think about your fellow man when you book these rooms and the hardship that it causes when they can't cruise at all because they Have to have a handicapped room with it's raised toilet seat, grab bars, roll in shower with seat, and lower closet rail and you just want the extra floor space.

You can usually book these rooms legally after final payment is due if they are not needed by handicapped people.

Here here Valentine's Mom!!!

We had an opportunity to cruise at the last minute for spring break this year. We were booking 2 weeks in advance. I can only cruise if I have a handicap cabin. There was only one balcony cabin availble on the entire RCL fleet that week. There were many standard balcony cabins. Luckily we found one sometimes we can not find any.

The average RCL ship has 12 cabins that are w/c accessible.

we would not want to take it away from someone who needs it

If you dont want to take it away from somone who needs it then......... DONT BOOK IT!!!!!!!

Handicapped rooms are larger for a reason. The reason is NOT because you can have extra room. The reason it is larger is so people who are in wheelchairs can cruise. These cabins have wider doors so people in wheelchairs can get in the cabin. Wheelchairs can not get into regular cabins, you and your husband can.

Handicapped persons have around 12 cabins to choose from on the entire ship. Able bodied people have hundreds to choose from. Please do not even consider doing this. Do the right thing.

Linda

Looking to book our second cruise on Explorer (we were on one of the 2-day inaugurals) and was wondering if anyone has info on the handicapp accessible inside rooms. On the website, it looks to be 260 sq ft vs the standard 160 sq feet and while neither of us is handicapped, I'm wondering what the general consensus is on reserving this room.

Of course, we would not want to take it away from someone who needs it, but if its available, is it worth requesting??

GEEZ:mad: It takes all kinds.:(

Shame on DFW4! I have been handicapped for many years but have never booked a special cabin because I only use a rolling walker with a seat, not a wheel chair and I didn't want to deprive someone in worse shape than I am of a chance to cruise.

Archived