Impromptu Cocktail Party on Deck on AOS?

Hello all! I've never cruised before so I need some help planning a celebration. It's going to be my husband's birthday on the first formal night of our upcoming cruise on the Adventure of the Seas.

I asked him how he'd like to celebrate, and he wants to share a good bottle of red wine (or two!) with our extended family (10 adults, 6 children [drinking something other than the wine ;) ]) in an OUTDOOR setting, after dinner. (We're in the early seating.)

So as this is a formal night, and I have no idea how hard it's going to be to stake out some territory for 16 folks to gather, or even if there are outdoor areas where people can drink wine.

Can I make hubby's wish come true? Or do we have to hit a lounge (where I'm afraid the kids would be excluded)? Thanks in advance for your advice, experience and wisdom!

You should have no problem finding plenty of room poolside at night. There are small tables outside Windjammer for dining and smaller ones between the lounge chairs. There are several decks of open space and I think you will be able to find a suitable location. Have a great time!

You won't get glass wine glasses at the pool or sky bars, if that's important to you for the ambience of the thing. And if you have late seating dinner, those bars are likely to be closed after dinner. They MIGHT be still open following early seating (8:00).

I would 2nd the motion about a little get together at the Viking Crown Lounge. You can easily 'cordon off' an area with streamers at that low demand time of the evening. (8:00, assuming it's after your early seating dinner. If you have late seating, there will be music pumping when you arrive at 10:30 or so.)

I agree with the others about finding a spot indoors. The first formal night is a sea day and the wind can certainly ruin a good hair day! It could also rain, so you would need a plan B anyway.

There are plenty of spots in the lounges that you could use - if you can steal a few minutes away by yourself, ask some of the bartenders what they would recommend.

Plus, so many people are lined up for formal photos before and after the early sitting I don't think the lounges will be that crowded.

Enjoy your cruise - we had a great time last week.

Robin

I think it's very mice of you to honour your husband's wish to be outdoors and another thought I had was to get wine at Vintages (Deck 5) and then go out on the Promenade Deck (Deck 4) and drink it. It wold be a lovely place to ahev everyone.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll ask hubby if real glassware is important to him... or if he'd rather be outdoors.

Does anyone know if the tables (mentioned above) outdoors near the Windjammer have glassware? Bar service? And, yes, I'd be happy to tip a bartender... I'm a real money saver in most moments, but it's hubby's 50th and I'd like him to get as close to his ideal as possible. Thanks!

There is a bar just inside the windjammer that has glasswear. You could get your drinks there and stroll outside. Most outdoor bars will not have glasswear, since the risk exists that someone would drop a glass and a foot would get cut near the pool.

Archived