Alaska in August?

carmzav

We just booked a cruise on the Statendam, leaving Seward on August 8 and heading down to Vancouver.

I am looking for any tips or suggestions. We aren't experienced cruisers at all! I've been on one 4 day Bahamas cruise, and my husband hasn't been on any.

I keep hearing mixed messages about what to pack- will one sweatshirt/sweater be sufficient, or should I drag out all of my winter clothes, gloves, hats, etc??

Are binoculars a neccesity? One person told me that her only regret on this same cruise was that she didn't take binoculars and had difficulty seeing the glaciers and wildlife from the ship.

Just returned from Statendam. We went first week of June and it was much cooler. The high temp. was 62. The Glaciers were in the 30's and you have to add the wind factor in. We took sweatshirts and lined jackets (not heavy) with hoods and they really came in handy. August may be completely different. As for binoculars if you both do not have a very good pair you will really regret it. I do hope you enjoy the scenery as much as I did. It is absolutely beautiful.

:rolleyes: Alaska

Whenever we have gone to Alaska we always take lined jackets (or lined rain gear) and a sweater. This way we can layer and as the day gets warmer, take off as many layers as the weather warrents.

Seward can be cooler than Vancouver as it is further north. Also around the glaciers it can be cool.

You definitely need binoculars.

And don't forget the umbrella.

:D

We sailed Alaska the first week in August a couple of years ago and the weather was near perfect. We had no rain until the last day. Sunny and warm until we hit Glacier Bay. Naturally, being around all that ice was a little chilly. The advice to plan layering your clothing is a must-do for Alaska. You can just never tell what Mother Nature is going to cook up for you. It's a fantastically beautiful state, and you will thoroughly enjoy it.

exactly layering is definitely the only way to prepare for alaska. as you head southbound on your trip, temperatures will tend to warm up a bit. but alaskan weather is always unpredictable. so bring clothes that are easy to layer on and easy to peel off. afterall there wouldn't be glaciers unless that was all that ice and snow, and there wouldn't be ice and snow without really really cold weather!

and binoculars are a definite must for alaska!

Archived