Mostly for the ladies....:) Now That We are Seeing Summer Fashions........

sail7seas

Oh yes, my daughter just asked me a few weeks ago if I always analyze if an outfit is right for a cruise before I buy it. My response, "usually". Growing up in Miami, I was use to the beautiful bright colors. When I moved up north, my closet suddenly started looking BLACK. I still love black but how nice to add the beautiful tropical colors that really make you smile. It's always fun to pack for the Caribbean.

Hello All,

Have any of you bought from the LL Bean Travelers Catalog an entire wardrobe of mix and match. They have what is called a Worry Free Wardrobe with mix and match pants, skirts, crew/shells, cardigans, and dresses short and long. I was wondering if this would help the packing weight issues.

Let me know if you have done this before....I calculated that for 200 dollars I could have 4 comfortable day wear excursion stuff or daytime cruise boat attire.

Linda

I totally convinced that L. L. Bean would go out of business if it weren't for me!:D

The mix and match outfits are a really smart way to cut down on items, but still not have to wear the same thing. Smart move, LHC!

As they say, take half as many clothes and twice as much money!

Well:) , L.L. Bean gets a bit of help from me, too, although I have not tried their Traveler wear. I have often looked at it and thought about it. But I buy a ton of stuff from them and it is great quality at a good price.

My favorite part is if you have their credit card, you get free shipping and free monogramming (and no tax if you're out of a state where they have a store). You have to bet a lot of people get their Christmas presents delivered giftwrapped from LLB:D

I'm 40, almost 41. Still getting used to this middle-age stuff :p I have to walk a fine line. The salesladies at Chico's were very helpful with that. They threw in some brighter colors and pretty jackets. Otherwise, I would surely have felt like my mother! I don't know if I'd wear any of the Chico's on a flight all the way to NZ, tho. I am very casual on the plane. I have my fave stretch jeans (from NZ) that I wear on flights now. They're like wearing leggings only they're jeans. Totally comfy :D I'm guessing this may not be age-appropriate as I get older, but I'm willing to risk "mutton dressed as lamb" if it's comfortable!

(

Scrumpy ....I'm well into my fifties and I'm still wearing stretch jeans...they're way too comfortable to give up and they look great....I find I'm more comfortable in longer tops and that works well with stretch jeans....

Heather - I didn't mean "flashy" in a tacky way at all. Hope that wasn't how it sounded. I have friends who are somewhat larger than life; their personalities enable them to wear the larger, sparkly things. I have to be careful not to overwhelm myself - if that makes sense. I'm not a big personality or a big person, so I try to find little touches that make a difference. I don't have a real knack for it, so I like to shop where there are salespeople who can stop me from making tragic mistakes.

Thanks for the tip about QVC. I haven't watched that in a long time. I'm half-afraid of what I'd end up with...but in a GOOD way! I managed to pick up some accessories tonight and, the big one, I finally found silver dress sandals!!! I'd looked for almost 2 years for silver sandals that would fit, so it made my night. I saw some of those jackets you mention. I saw some in the store and also online. Neither had my size :( Also saw what I think is called a ruana, but I didn't care for those - kind of drapey, tent-looking garments. I've been trying to order some pretty crystal pieces for my hair for several hours, but the website is down. I'm starting to think these are signs that I am shopping too much :D

I'm very sorry you lost your bracelet. I can see why you would be cautious. I rarely wear bracelets, but I did the last cruise; in fact, one of my birthday presents was a bracelet. I guess I should be more aware of them. I haven't lost many things while travelling, luckily, although I did lose an entire bag of things in Paris, including the Chanel I'd gotten for my mom. I was more heartbroken than she was.

The space is an issue for formalwear, but at the same time, I figure if we have to take a garment bag for DH's tux, I should take advantage of that space, too! I believe prom is this weekend, so I may hit the shops next week and see if there is anything that needs me to take it home. It's the least I can do... Thanks again for the tips!

Scrumpy ....I'm well into my fifties and I'm still wearing stretch jeans...they're way too comfortable to give up and they look great....I find I'm more comfortable in longer tops and that works well with stretch jeans....

I see I am in good company then. I love longer tops. I refuse to tuck in my shirts. Won't buy anything that is supposed to be tucked in - well, sometimes I buy it and leave the tail out, LOL!!!:eek: I am so glad to see that the cropped tops are going out of style. I got so tired of seeing everyone's belly! I tend to buy a lot of things that are oversized, especially my t-shirts and sweatshirts. I usually get an XL when I probably *should* get a small or medium. I love baggy, comfortable clothes!:) ...and tight, stretchy pants, too.

Scrumpy, I understand exactly what you're saying. There's flashy and then there's a bit of glitter. A word about QVC, very dangerous to watch the channel, but whenever I'm looking for something I go to their website and check that first. They have an amazing return policy (even credit the shipping) so I love shopping through them.

Another hint for shoes: Zappos.com! Free shipping and great return policy. Love them and always look there first.

In the end we should pack what makes us happy and what we feel will make us look our best. That's part of the fun!:)

Thanks Heather! I have nearly been suckered in by some "bargains" on QVC. They've had some things they SAID were a fraction of retail - like the $20K necklace for $4K. My husband had to talk some sense into me. I was convinced I could get it and re-sell it, LOL!!! Nope, gonna have to steer clear of anything expensive...

Friends have recommended Zappos! I am leery because I have trouble finding shoes that fit and also an apparent inability to return things (she says while looking at the LLBean boots that needed to go back 2 weeks ago...)

Appreciate the input. I didn't want to sound like I thought "flashy" meant bad or tacky or OTT, although some people can do that with flair and get away with it. Dolly Parton is from near my hometown and it's sure helped her make her fortune! (where is my rhinestone cowgirl suit)? LOL!

Zappos.com is OK. I have Freddy Flintstone feet (short and wide) and have to buy my shoes mostly from catalogs. Zappos has a pretty good selection, and more than just that infuriating "B Medium" width. It really chaps my hide that all shoe manufacturers and stores think that every woman in the country wears the same width shoe!

Anyway, try them out. And if you need shoes in widths other than "B", I can give you a bunch more sources.

Zappos.com is OK. I have Freddy Flintstone feet (short and wide) and have to buy my shoes mostly from catalogs. Zappos has a pretty good selection, and more than just that infuriating "B Medium" width. It really chaps my hide that all shoe manufacturers and stores think that every woman in the country wears the same width shoe!

Anyway, try them out. And if you need shoes in widths other than "B", I can give you a bunch more sources.

Thank you very much! I would really appreciate the help. I have triangular feet, LOL! Narrow heels, wide in front, high arches... and I've had surgery on both of them, so I am usually very, very careful about wearing shoes that fit well and I'm leery of heels. I wear them on cruises, but try to find a medium height. Most of the really pretty ones are high, so I deal with it and try to wear them as briefly as possible.

Since you're in CO, do you know any good local places to find wide widths? I'm down in Black Forest.

Thanks again!

Scrumpy:

Hi Neighbor! Do you like Red Top? We try to make a pilgrimage once a year. We lived in ColoSpgs from 1980-1983. Loved those Red Tops!

I don't know of any good shoe stores in CO. I pretty much stick to catalogs. My favorite is www.WissotaTrader.com. They do business under many names, and you will get all the catalogs if you order! I have enjoyed a great deal of success with the Ros Hommerson brand. They offer many heel heights, and many colors. I also like www.marylandsquare.com. They all pretty much have the same stuff. Also www.CowardShoes.com is a division of Old Pueblo Traders in Tucson. That ought to get you started.

I order a lot of dressy clothes from Draper's and Damon's, and I know they have a store in Chapel Hills...if you need dressy stuff. But I don't think they carry many shoes.

I don't know what you ordered from Bean, but the Day Hikers I got there 10 years ago (Wide Width) have been the best hiking shoes I ever bought. Bean is getting better about offering wide shoes.

HALOnlyCruiser -

First, let me say I am not impressed with this weather. Is it SNOWING at your house? I'm probably going to end up with 2 inches or more and just spent an hour unsuccessfully trying to round up horses in it...:mad: I'll have to try again in a few minutes... (It's my fault; earlier today, I told someone that as long as it didn't flood, it could just keep raining. Should've known it'd turn to snow).

But, anyway... back on-topic: Thank you for the websites!!! :) I really appreciate the help. I'll bookmark them. I get to Chapel Hills maybe once a year, so I'll have a look around there next time I go. I didn't realize Land's End was part of Sears, so we were there a few weeks ago. I'm sure it'll be more than once a year now! Friends keep recommending I go up to Denver, but I can't see driving that far to go shopping. I know it's normal for some folks and DH has even commuted when he had a project up there, but I served my time sitting in traffic when I lived in Dallas. I like to stay close to home now! I should at least go to the outlet stores in Castle Rock. I've only been there once.

We've only tried Red Top once. Loved it, but a LOT of food! Great milkshakes!!! We enjoyed it so much. We had been meaning to go for several years and I'm glad we finally made it. Since we moved out of the Springs, we don't go out to eat nearly as often, but I still use the post office that is over by one of them. I think there are three in town now. The Springs has grown so much in only the five years since we moved here. I imagine it's a shock when you come back!

The Bean boots (rubber boots) are actually TOO big; I couldn't get my head around ordering a 6W when I wear a 7 1/2W. Should have done exactly what they recommended! They are a hair too small for DH or we would've kept them. (Well, we have kinda kept them...sigh...)

The only trick I know about shoes/boots/sandals is that if I can find a boy's size 6, they will usually fit. My favorite everyday shoes are Merrells and I got them at Dick's Sporting Goods (used to be Galyan). Wearing them as we speak and even after traipsing around in the snow, my feet are dry. Have you tried boys' shoes? I also got either boys' or mens' Teva sandals. Unfortunately, the dogs have a taste for Teva. After they destroyed two pair, I switched to Columbia; they don't seem to like those, LOL!!! :rolleyes: Sadly, neither do I, and I try not to wear them. I loved the Tevas. They have some very cool ones now that are like a combo hiking boot and sandal. LLBean carries them.:) I would love to try a pair. Think that's such a great idea, especially around here.

Stay warm, neighbor and thanks again very much!

Scrumpy

When you take clothes for a cruise - think about versatility - clothes that can be worn in multiple ways and can be easily washed if necessary.

There are other clothing manufacturers that make a travel line besides Chicos - but that is a great idea - their black skirt can go with multiple tops. You can even get a top that will work for formal night with it. The idea is to bring clothes you feel comfortable in.

I have a skirt that is reversible -and it has been to Alaska, the Carribean, and will go to the Baltics. I always bring black capris, and black pants.

How do I control the shoes - that is my weakness!!!:D

Scrumpy:

Yes, we woke to snow, but only on the grass, really. We're only 5300 feet in Broomfield, and I know you are a lot higher in BF. I am itching to start plants, but I know better than to try that until at least another two weeks. I lost $300 of bedding plants one year because of a big storm on May 20...way after Mother's Day. You would think that after 30 years in CO I would learn!

There are a couple of Narrow-to-Wide shoe stores in Denver, but they mostly have athletic and casual. Not worth the trip, IMHO, but I will happily supply the names if you like. That trip between ColoSpgs and Denver is getting worse and worse. It used to be a pretty and relaxing drive. Now it's a speedway. We lived not too far from the post office Red Top in Village Seven. Every Saturday was Red Top day! I agree on the milkshakes. They had one for a time in the way south part of Littleton, but from here we might as well have driven to CSpgs. There's one in Pueblo that my brother-in-law goes to, the rat! We also used to have (my all time favorite) Whataburger, but they pulled out 20 or so years ago. Did you like them in Dallas? Yes, I hardly recognize CoSpgs. The world used to end at Woodmen Road. Chapel Hills was under construction, and it seemed like quite a drive up to the AFA. Sometimes we would go back to Denver on 83...much prettier. I know a man in BF who breeds Salukis, but even his place is "in town" by now. Do you like Rosie's Diner in Monument?

I have tried boys shoes, but not wide enough. (Told you...think Fred Flinstone:)) A men's 6 is OK, too, but hard to find.

Also sympathize with the hassle of returning stuff.....hate it! Usually I can sweet-talk DH into going to the post office for me. What kind of horses do you have? You can e-mail me, so we don't entertain everybody else on the thread!:)

I wanted to thank you because I ordered 2 pairs of shoes last night; great websites. Anyone who is reading this - check out the links she posted. They are worth a look. Guess I better email you, but did want to post that other people should definitely look at your recommended shoe sources. I found immediate success!

Archived