Mostly for the ladies....:) Now That We are Seeing Summer Fashions........

sail7seas

As you are shopping for summer fashions, do you have in mind upcoming cruises (to the Caribbean perhaps) when you shop? Are you thinking that top/suit/dress will be good if we take a Caribbean/Mediterranean cruise soon.

Good morning Marie.

No matter when or why I shop it seems I can't look at any outfit without wondering how well it will pack and if it will go with other cruising attire I have at home.

It isn't exactly a bad way to shop, I mean there is always a reason to buy that perfect little outfit and tell DH that now I have so many colorful things for the Caribbean it is time to book another cruise ;)

Trisha

Always....it's an ongoing process. My next two cruises will be hot weather cruises....to the Amazon in September and to the Caribbean in February....so I'm already looking for items that will be cool, light and easily laundered. The last two years we cruised Alaska, and I had an entirely different type of wardrobe, so now it's time to beef up my summer clothes.

It's funny....I have some clothes that I have taken on almost every cruise for the last five years....and never wear anywhere else....but I usually buy a few new things for each trip. If I don't take some pounds off in the next five months, I'm going to have to buy more than a few for my next trip!

If I see something I really like, I'll buy it now, but since I'm not going until September, I'll probably wait for the summer clearance sales to replenish my basics. I can usually find something then. But my shopping trips are always "recon" runs with my next cruise in mind.

There seems to be a pattern here. you go shopping, and while you're out you look around to see if anything catches your eye that you can buy and put away for the next cruise. Womens fashions change, mens don't change that much. So I have my husbands cruise wear in a closet in a different bedroom.

The other day he walks in our bedroom at 6:30 in the morning with a cruise shirt on. And I said, where are you going? He said, to work. I said, that's a cruise shirt! He said, I know, but I feel tropical. I said, well I feel like we should be on a cruise. He said, we have one booked.

Does looking at certain clothing make you long to be on a ship? Give you a feeling of being homesick?

I really have to hide his clothes.

Pat.

I rarely shop for clothing without a cruise in mind. This is so ridiculous considering I spend at most 2 weeks of the year on a cruise.

The only other event I shop for is a wedding and even then I decide whether I could also wear it on a cruise :).

I can safely say I might spend 30 to 40% less on clothing if I never cruised or went to weddings.

Always - I rarely buy anything without the thought jumping into my head "now that would work beautifully on a cruise".

There must be a name for this sort of peculiarity.

Valerie:D

I always shop with tropical weather in mind even though I live in the frozen north! Not only for cruises but for the Carib/Mexican vacations we take 3 or 4 times a year. In fact, I`m leaving in 16 hours for 2 weeks in Mexico, so if you wonder where I am, now you know!!!............jean:cool: :cool:

I am packing right now and having problems as to what to bring - this is the shortest cruise I've ever been on and I'm having trouble adjusting to less than 10 days worth of clothes - especially having problems with shoes!

I prefer summer/spring clothing for the most part, so I am always looking for new things when I shop - they happen to be great for cruising too. :)

Cruisitis wardrobitis??? Ah, I knew it was something serious ever since it first infected me. It is exacerbated by every Chico's catalog and color ad in the newspaper.

I suppose the only cure is to keep cruising and have a chance to wear all those new duds!

Slinkie

Slinkie! You and me both! I think I have terminal Chicositis and have no idea what I did for clothes before I discovered them. They are especially fantastic for cruise formalwear and never a wrinkle ... mix and match all over the place.

Recently I went completely bonkers with the 50% off whatever you bought ... even under $100!!!!!

Headed for Sanibel with some girlfriends in a couple of weeks and can't wait to see what they have at the store over there ... every store different stuff!

See what happens? Just say "Chico's" and I go on forever:) .................

:o

Slinkie! You and me both! I think I have terminal Chicositis and have no idea what I did for clothes before I discovered them. ...Just say "Chico's" and I go on forever:) .................

I found out about Chico's here on CC and shopping has really changed!!! We went crazy in that store; DH helped. Oh boy :o I haven't worn any of it yet, but am looking forward to it.

I have several distinct wardrobes - home (serviceable), tropical/vacation, and business/formal - and they aren't particularly inter-changeable. I rarely buy anything without worrying about how it will travel. Not just for cruises, but for any vacation. I have clothes I would never, ever wear here at home, but take with me when I go anywhere remotely warm. I'm sedate and casual at home - no bright colors, etc. Put me on a ship or an island and I'm totally different. So is DH. We have nice Hawaiian and Fijian shirts and dresses, but never wear them here. Look forward to leaving home so that we can put them on :)

Heather,

There used to be a Chico's outlet over in Estrero ... you should go right by it on your way to Sanibel! :)

My cruise wear becomes my everyday wear for the summer months. Hawaiian shirts, bright colors, etc. -- I wear them at work and at play!

As summer wanes and the sales start, I stock up on new "cruise" clothes for my annual fall cruise. After the cruise, I put them away for the next spring/summer season.

Quick question, though - how do ya'll make Chico's formal enough? My stuff is nice, but I wouldn't have characterized it as formal. (Let me guess; ya'll know how to accessorize...)

Part of it is definitely the accessories. I buy the Chico's Traveler's basic black and and then they have quite formal, sparkly jackety stuff. Also I have a Chico's velvet jacket which I accessorize with sparkly jewelery.

It's not the same as wearing a formal evening gown, but I wouldn't wear that anyway. I like a sleek sort of look and I think Chico's looks fabulous and so easy to pack.

Quick question, though - how do ya'll make Chico's formal enough? My stuff is nice, but I wouldn't have characterized it as formal. (Let me guess; ya'll know how to accessorize...)

I agree with Heather. Add some sparkly jewelry (good or not) and it looks great. I've done it a few times when I didn't want to pack a long gown.

I love the Travelers line and have worn it on flights to and from New Zealand and arrived looking as good as when I left. (The clothes, that is, not me!)

A few years ago, I was at some sort of ladies gathering (middle-aged broads) where they were all discussing Chico's. I turned to my friend and innocently asked "What is Chicos?" She, astonished, said "Susan, you must be the only middle-aged woman in Dallas who doesn't know what Chico's is!"

I guess I'm still middle-aged; that is if I live to be 120!

Part of it is definitely the accessories. I buy the Chico's Traveler's basic black and and then they have quite formal, sparkly jackety stuff. Also I have a Chico's velvet jacket which I accessorize with sparkly jewelery.

It's not the same as wearing a formal evening gown, but I wouldn't wear that anyway. I like a sleek sort of look and I think Chico's looks fabulous and so easy to pack.

Heather,

do you get your accessories at Chico's? I got one of their belts, but normally I don't even wear a belt. I have some nice jewelry, but nothing large or terribly flashy. I'm trying to talk myself into some crystal hair accessories; I think it helps formalize the look when my hair is up... I got a couple of their jackets, but figured they'd be for regular dinner. I dressed for dinner last night every time even when it was not required. I imagine I will take at least 3 regular cocktail dresses... In other words, I'll probably take way too much ;)

Thx!

I agree with Heather. Add some sparkly jewelry (good or not) and it looks great. I've done it a few times when I didn't want to pack a long gown.

I love the Travelers line and have worn it on flights to and from New Zealand and arrived looking as good as when I left. (The clothes, that is, not me!)

A few years ago, I was at some sort of ladies gathering (middle-aged broads) where they were all discussing Chico's. I turned to my friend and innocently asked "What is Chicos?" She, astonished, said "Susan, you must be the only middle-aged woman in Dallas who doesn't know what Chico's is!"

I guess I'm still middle-aged; that is if I live to be 120!

They have some extremely fashionable women in Dallas! I was there over 20 years, went to SMU. Oh - such stylish people (who could accessorize)... I wear my good jewelry every day, LOL! Why wait? I've thought of costume jewelry because I am not the flashy type. Even if it's only semi-precious stones, I prefer genuine stones over costume jewelry, but I am getting tempted by some of the jewelry I see online now. (The greatest thing since sliced bread is moissanite - totally sold on it and bought some last year)!

I'm 40, almost 41. Still getting used to this middle-age stuff :p I have to walk a fine line. The salesladies at Chico's were very helpful with that. They threw in some brighter colors and pretty jackets. Otherwise, I would surely have felt like my mother! I don't know if I'd wear any of the Chico's on a flight all the way to NZ, tho. I am very casual on the plane. I have my fave stretch jeans (from NZ) that I wear on flights now. They're like wearing leggings only they're jeans. Totally comfy :D I'm guessing this may not be age-appropriate as I get older, but I'm willing to risk "mutton dressed as lamb" if it's comfortable!

Thanks ya'll - I am going to have to find someone to help me accessorize. Looks like that is the key to everything, as I've long suspected. Sigh...:(

Heather,

do you get your accessories at Chico's? I got one of their belts, but normally I don't even wear a belt. I have some nice jewelry, but nothing large or terribly flashy. I'm trying to talk myself into some crystal hair accessories; I think it helps formalize the look when my hair is up... I got a couple of their jackets, but figured they'd be for regular dinner. I dressed for dinner last night every time even when it was not required. I imagine I will take at least 3 regular cocktail dresses... In other words, I'll probably take way too much ;)

Thx!

I'm not flashy either ... but I do like a bit of glitter when I wear black. I don't have a lot of accessories from Chico's. But I'm quite a Brighton lady I have to confess. And I'm also a huge QVC fan and love their Diamonique. I defy anyone to know real from fake with that jewelery. I never bring my really fine jewelery on a cruise after "losing" a valuable bracelet on our honeymoon cruise. It had been a wedding gift from my husband and I've never recovered.

Also I have some Nolan Miller design jewelery from QVC. I would rather spend my money on accessories and tops for the basic black Chico's because you can mix and mingle all the stuff and never look the same.

When I was your age I always wore my hair up and loved the look! You're absolutely right that it does wonders for a formal look.

When I say "jackets" I don't mean the informal type. They have a lot of filmy, glittery tops or jackety things. Hard to describe, but you'd never call the look informal. Works for me because I am always cold in the DRs on ships and need long sleeves.

I just hate to take up the suitcase with formal wear when this is an equally wonderful look (as wonderful as I can muster up in my later years;) )

Archived