Which Direction does the EOS dock in Kings Wharf?

I don´t know about EOS and I don´t know about Kings Wharf, however the question on how a ship docks and what it depends on was asked at one of the Captains question and answers on one of my cruises and here´s a few things I remember the Captain asnwered.

The decision on which side of the ship faces the dock can be influenced by many factors:

- Port authorities may request it the one way or the other

- Often for port days there are crew drills planned that can include lowering of the life boats and therefore it can differ depending on which side of the ship shall be used for this.

- Sometimes maintanance is planned. like painting, cleaning, etc. and the therefore it´s determined what side of the ship must face the dock to do this.

- Bunkering of food, fuel or other items can be an important decision maker

- Schedule can make the decision too, if coming in early the captain may decide to turn around the ship at arrival to be able to sail straight out at departure, coming in late may make him decide the other way and turn around at departure and just sail straight in.

- This could also be influenced by traffic in port and the tide.

So based on this information I would say you can´t tell.

Note these are the view points the Captain made on a cruise and there probably are more than these.

• 3 months later...

We were in Bermuda on the May 27th sailing of the Empress of the Seas; we took a ferry over to where the Explorer was, and we spent quite some time having a good look at her.

Her port side was tied up; her bow faced north. I can swear to this because we were very interested to see what the balcony of 9554 looks like because we will be sailing on her on October 15th in that stateroom.

So it seems you do have a 50/50 chance of being tied up the way you prefer.

Just for the record I am sad about what the balcony of 9554 looks like---lots more steel in the way as compared to the same category room just aft.....Oh well......

Enjoy your cruise!

Leslie

Archived