Vancouver Info if needed

Thanks! I'm still kind of giddy with shock that the extra night is happening, let alone without demolishing my budget! I also hadn't realized sunset was that late - here in Florida, the sun is down by 8:30 even at solstice time. So I arrive around 7 pm on Saturday evening, but that might even give me an hour or two to wander near my hotel.

Definitely - in fact, since I believe you are at the Bayshore, I would strongly recommend if the weather is nice walking into the first part of Stanley Park - follow around to the right, toward the Totems/lighthouse area, and you'll get some awesome pics back toward the city as the sunset begins reflecting off all the glass towers...

Definitely - in fact, since I believe you are at the Bayshore, I would strongly recommend if the weather is nice walking into the first part of Stanley Park - follow around to the right, toward the Totems/lighthouse area, and you'll get some awesome pics back toward the city as the sunset begins reflecting off all the glass towers...

Are the walking paths/streets in Stanley Park well-lit at dusk and after? Or do they close after a certain hour? Even if I arrived later in the evening, taking a long walk would be wonderful.

Are the walking paths/streets in Stanley Park well-lit at dusk and after? Or do they close after a certain hour? Even if I arrived later in the evening, taking a long walk would be wonderful.

The roads in Stanley Park are illuminated to a degree but not so the trails and walking paths. It's very hard for me to recommend walking in the park after dark, there are a number of homeless people who live in the park, some suffering from mental illness .... so no, its not my cup of tea. However the SeaWall that runs in either direction behind the Bayshore is an excellent walk as is the walk down Denman St. to English Bay....in fact English Bay can be a great spot to catch a sunset.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/English+Bay+Beach,+Vancouver,+BC+V6E+1V3,+Canada/The+Westin+Bayshore,+Vancouver,+1601+Bayshore+Dr,+Vancouver,+BC+V6G+2V4,+Canada/@49.2889582,-123.1431554,15.75z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x5486722f68e4acf3:0x2e8b93c8034168e0!2m2!1d-123.1434865!2d49.2863114!1m5!1m1!1s0x54867188a23819af:0xaf6eaf737c65b77f!2m2!1d-123.1298959!2d49.2921142!3e2

+1 to the above. Twilight lasts a long time up here in summer, and the part I described above you'll find quite well-lit, as the rowing club has functions running on until the wee small hours so walking back from there along the Seawall through Devonian to the Westin you won't have any visibility problems even if you do take some pics around sunset as I suggested. It's not far and there's regular streetlight illumination on the road just beside you for most of the walk too.

The other side of the park where the beaches are though, and much of the interior, is pitch-black (especially under the trees obviously). First time we went to an outdoor movie getting home again I was VERY happy to have a flashlight on my keychain! Ended up leading a chain of fellow movie-watchers out of the park as it was a very cloudy night and once the move shut down we could see diddly-squat!

Edited by martincath

• 1 month later...

Personally, I prefer the ATM/bank machines when travelling....

• yes there are higher service charges. But they are convenient. I see a few of them around the cruise terminal (food courts? convention centre entrance way?)
  • they dispense small bills... making it easier to use.
  • otherwise.... credit cards are handy.

Thanks to putterdude, martincath, and shoppie, just to name a few but what a great information board on Vancouver!!

My DW and I visited for just one night several years ago and promised that if we were ever on another cruise we would spend extra time. Now we are ending our cruise in Vancouver in early September and plan on spending 3 or 4 extra days visiting the City. I believe that our ship docks at the Ballantyne pier (we are sailing on Celebrity) so my question is: Is there availability of cabs to the hotels there like there is at Canada Place? Should we be looking for an area other than what has been mentioned here already? (I am a frequent traveler with both Marriott and Hilton and have points that I could use). We are looking into the hotels now so I also assume the cost for a taxi back to YVR is still in the $35-37 CAD?

I thank you in advance for your response and look forward to your visiting your City.

Ron

Thanks to putterdude, martincath, and shoppie, just to name a few but what a great information board on Vancouver!!

My DW and I visited for just one night several years ago and promised that if we were ever on another cruise we would spend extra time. Now we are ending our cruise in Vancouver in early September and plan on spending 3 or 4 extra days visiting the City. I believe that our ship docks at the Ballantyne pier (we are sailing on Celebrity) so my question is: Is there availability of cabs to the hotels there like there is at Canada Place? Should we be looking for an area other than what has been mentioned here already? (I am a frequent traveler with both Marriott and Hilton and have points that I could use). We are looking into the hotels now so I also assume the cost for a taxi back to YVR is still in the $35-37 CAD?

I thank you in advance for your response and look forward to your visiting your City.

Ron

Well the good news is that Balantyne has been mothballed for a couple of years now and the Miilie will be using Canada Place so yes, there will be lots of cabs. There is currently no Hilton properties downtown however while Marriott has been playing musical hotels they still have the Pinnacle on West Hastings which is about a 4 block walk +\_ from Canada Place and is an easy walk. A flat rate cab from YVR to Canada Place will run you $35 and while the return is not a flat rate....$35 should cover it CAD of course. Have great return visit and a wonderful cruise. I knew if we left the porch light on you would be back.:)...

Thanks putterdude and martincath for the information. Was not sure on the pier as Celebrity is soooo a bundle of information when it comes to that type of thing. Happy to hear that it is Canada Place. Hampton is always a good property, unless there is an evening soccer game, as someone else mentioned, that goes on into the late evening hours.

Can't wait to try out those great little sidewalk eateries (as I recall), maybe the Salmon House on the Hill, if it is still going, the gorgeous parks and some new adventures along the way.

Thanks for leavin' the light on!!

Ron

Hi there..I live in Vancouver and have worked at several of the hotels in the city..and have also worked on cruise ships before, so I've done more Alaska cruises than I care to admit..I'll gladly answer any questions about the city, cruising or what have you! :)

Hello Shoppie, Are you still answering questions

Hello Shoppie, Are you still answering questions

We haven't heard from Shoppie in years, however there is a large contingent of Vancouverite who post on this thread and are more than happy to answer any questions you may have and help make your visit to Vancouver a memorable one.

Hi Putterdude!!

Thanks for the offer. I just booked my cruise today. Arriving in Vancouver on Friday, September 16, 2016. We depart on a Princess cruise Saturday.

I am going to try to get the earliest arrival on Friday with my flight so we can spend the majority of the day visiting.

Do we need a rental car?

What hotel do you suggest?

What do you suggest we do Friday afternoon and evening, Saturday morning?

Two adults, active and like outdoor activities, no museums please.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and guidance.

Meggan

My guess would be that with you coming from MS you are likely not going to get here until late morning and it may well be early afternoon before you clear Canadian Customs at YVR and get to your hotel. You could stay out by the airport but with your limited time .... well its 35 mins in either direction and a $35 cab fare....so you are better off to be downtown.

Here is a list of downtown hotels that of hotels than are within 8 blocks of the Canada Place cruise terminal and that I can recommend:

The Pan Pacific (part of Canada Place)

Fairmont Waterfront (across the street from Canada Place)

Fairmont Pacific Rim

Marriott Pinnacle

Pinnacle Hotel-Harbourfront (not to be confused with the Marriott Pinnacle across the street)

Hyatt Regency

The Shangri-la

Fairmont Vancouver Hotel

Auberge

Coast Coal Harbour

Delta Suites

The Metropolitan

Four Seasons

Rosewood Georgia

Sutton Place (about 8.5 blocks)

Sheraton at the Wall Centre (about 10 blocks)

le Soleil

The Wedgewood

You will have a difficult time finding a hotel in the downtown area for much under $200 CAD unless you get lucky with something like Hotwire, Priceline or Booking.com. However, one hotel that is a popular with cruisers is the Blue Horizon which often comes in at about $170.

So with your limited time in Vancouver you may care to head down to Stanley Park, rent some bikes and spend the afternoon doing the park...at 1000 acres you wont see it all. On the morning of your cruise you may care to walk around historic Gastown or perhaps head for Granville Island which is Vancouver's festival type market.

We booked the Marriott Pinnacle Downtown. What do you recommend for meals? Any specific restaurant? breakfast, lunch and dinner? We enjoy all types of food and are willing to try new cuisines.

Excellent choice of hotels.

You might want to try De Dutch for breakfast at the new Convention Centre on the water just west of Canada Place...great views. In the same complex there is Mahoney & Sons, a pub which is good for lunch or dinner. And yet again at the same location there is the Cactus Club. A nice little walk away on the SeaWalk from Canada Place is Cardero's, one of my faves. A little to the west of Cardero's is the Lift which is very nice. Both the Cardero's and the Lift are great for dinner. If you want to go south a few blocks then another fave of mine is Joe Fortes.

http://dedutch.com/locations/burrard-landing/

http://mahonyandsons.com/burrard-location.html

https://www.cactusclubcafe.com/location/coal-harbour/

https://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos/

http://liftbarandgrill.com/

http://www.joefortes.ca/

And if you're looking for a good burger that isn't one of the major Fast Foods, there's always Triple-O's around the corner at Dunsmuir and Thurlow if I'm not mistaken (in the TD Bank tower). Triple-O's is the 'fast food' burger business spinoff of White Spot. I'd describe it as Red Robin with a British Columbian twist.

New to Vancouver and booked a pre-cruise hotel across from Canada Place in North Vancouver. May not be the most convenient place but the non-refundable price was pretty good.

I'm looking for recommendations on how to get there from YVR. Party of four adults with bags.

Thanks . . .

New to Vancouver and booked a pre-cruise hotel across from Canada Place in North Vancouver. May not be the most convenient place but the non-refundable price was pretty good.

I'm looking for recommendations on how to get there from YVR. Party of four adults with bags.

Thanks . . .

Sounds like you are in at the Lonsdale Quay Hotel or the newer Pinnacle at the Pier, if so and you are able bodied and can handle you own luggage then you can take the Canada Line from YVR to Waterfront Station and transfer to the SeaBus and then walk about 3/4 of a block to the LQH or about 2 blocks to the PatP. Then when you are ready to go back into the city, its the SeaBus. Otherwise its a cab from YVR that will run you about $50 which is not bad when split between 4 adults, with 4 adults and luggage you will likely want a mini-van cab which is the same price as a normal cab but you may need to wait a few extra minutes. A regular fare on the CandaLine/SeaBus from YVR is going to run you $9 per person the return fare on the SeaBus is $4.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/Single-Fares.aspx

I'd either be taking Skytrain/Seabus per PD above, or maybe a fixed-rate cab to Waterfront station for $35 then taking Seabus over to Lonsdale Quay ($4 midweek or $2.75pp evenings/weekend) as a cab for 4 is almost identical price to 4 inbound Skytrain tickets and some folks just don't want to take Skytrain. You will want to use Seabus as it's the only sensible way across the water unless your budget is unlimited...

A cab from YVR will be at least $60, even without traffic issues - and crossing either bridge to North Van is going to have a high chance of traffic adding a big chunk to the fare (could reach $100 in rushhour). Between the extra cost of getting there and then getting back into Vancouver - multiple times if you are here for a few days to sightsee - you can probably see why the rates for hotels look more enticing on the North Shore!

While its hard to argue with the wisdom of the taxi fare estimator, I will say that in some 40+ years of taking cabs from North Vancouver to YVR I have never experienced a fare of over $60 and that is in peak travel times. The cabbies are usually pretty tuned into traffic conditions on either bridge and my experience has been that they will often tell you what they are and ask which bridge you would like to use. Even today if the economics work we will park our car at #1 son's house in NV and cab it.