Vancouver Info if needed

Sounds like you are in at the Lonsdale Quay Hotel or the newer Pinnacle at the Pier, if so and you are able bodied and can handle you own luggage then you can take the Canada Line from YVR to Waterfront Station and transfer to the SeaBus and then walk about 3/4 of a block to the LQH or about 2 blocks to the PatP. Then when you are ready to go back into the city, its the SeaBus. Otherwise its a cab from YVR that will run you about $50 which is not bad when split between 4 adults, with 4 adults and luggage you will likely want a mini-van cab which is the same price as a normal cab but you may need to wait a few extra minutes. A regular fare on the CandaLine/SeaBus from YVR is going to run you $9 per person the return fare on the SeaBus is $4.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/Single-Fares.aspx

I'd either be taking Skytrain/Seabus per PD above, or maybe a fixed-rate cab to Waterfront station for $35 then taking Seabus over to Lonsdale Quay ($4 midweek or $2.75pp evenings/weekend) as a cab for 4 is almost identical price to 4 inbound Skytrain tickets and some folks just don't want to take Skytrain. You will want to use Seabus as it's the only sensible way across the water unless your budget is unlimited...

A cab from YVR will be at least $60, even without traffic issues - and crossing either bridge to North Van is going to have a high chance of traffic adding a big chunk to the fare (could reach $100 in rushhour). Between the extra cost of getting there and then getting back into Vancouver - multiple times if you are here for a few days to sightsee - you can probably see why the rates for hotels look more enticing on the North Shore!

We are here now. We did a van taxi that easily handled 4 adults, 5 checked bags plus carry-ons. We left YVR at 1800, traveled cross town to North Vancouver during the evening commute time arrived at the hotel with a charge that was within the range set by both of you. It cost $57.40 CAD. We had to wait an extra 5 minutes at the YVR taxi stand while they got a "van" for us.

The taxi took a CC for payment but did ask that we use one with a chip. They do not accept pre-paid or gift cards.

We are at the new Pinnacle at the Pier for one night. There are so many food and entertainment options right outside our door that we never had to go more than a hundred yards in any direction. Canada Place is right across the port from us and we were able to watch both Princess & HAL arrive this AM. Time to head over and get aboard Coral.

Edited by MSN-Travelers

We are here now. We did a van taxi that easily handled 4 adults, 5 checked bags plus carry-ons. We left YVR at 1800, traveled cross town to North Vancouver during the evening commute time arrived at the hotel with a charge that was within the range set by both of you. It cost $57.40 CAD. We had to wait an extra 5 minutes at the YVR taxi stand while they got a "van" for us.

The taxi took a CC for payment but did ask that we use one with a chip. They do not accept pre-paid or gift cards.

We are at the new Pinnacle at the Pier for one night. There are so many food and entertainment options right outside our door that we never had to go more than a hundred yards in any direction. Canada Place is right across the port from us and we were able to watch both Princess & HAL arrive this AM. Time to head over and get aboard Coral.

Thanks for the feedback, especially on the need for a Chip card - since Canada rolled out chip & PIN cards years ago that's not something any locals would ever hear about.

You timed it perfectly - northbound rushhour well past it's peak as you hit the bridge, but still the bonus lane going your way so smooth traffic flow.

The BEST Chinese in Vancouver. No problem, we will have to take a taxi. We are at Fairmont Waterfront, I believe!

Now we enter the realms of subjectivity, specificity, and regionality. The best in Vancouver proper:

Dynasty on Broadway has been racking up wins in seafood, dim sum, and several high end Chinese food categories across the board for the last few years. It's probably the best bet for across-the-board excellent food. Kirin, much closer to your hotel, has also been a consistent performer for many years only recently overtaken by Dynasty - so also a safe bet.

Bao Bei, actually in Chinatown, has a very much more modern take on things so is anything but traditional - if you like artisanal cocktails, and especially the matching of food with booze (which traditional Chinese food is generally oblivious to) this is the place to go, provided you can tolerate spicy food (NB: not just HOT, there's good depth, but the basis for the dishes is the cuisine of Taiwan & Shanghai, so more heat than Cantonese which is what most people think of when they think of 'Chinese food'). Bambudda has a similar concept, perhaps not quite so fancy, but with a Cantonese spice palate so more mellow - we also love these guys, especially the owner/FoH Ray. Both do 'share plates' and 'small plates' - think Tapas style dining.

Further out but still in the city is Sun Sui Wah, perhaps a $20 cab ride each way, who have been doing high end food for many, many years and basically created the entire concept of the Alaskan King Crab Feast - if you have a group of diners (at least 6 unless they have HUGE appetites) this is the only chance you will have to actually eat FRESH King Crab (nowhere but nowhere in Alaska does anything other than frozen as the season is long over by the time the first cruise ship comes in - down here we keep 'em alive in huge tanks, you can pick the one you want, and watch as it is carried to your table then cooked up for you in 3-5 different ways). They're also justly famous for their squab (pigeons - served head-on, a bit disconcerting to some but delicious!)

It's very arguable that the best Chinese in Vancouver isn't actually IN Vancouver! Neighbouring municipalities, especially Richmond, have even higher % Chinese folks (and thus a better claim to consistently higher standard/greater authenticity of food) and can offer way more Chinese restos than Vancouver itself. Kirin & SSW have branches out there; Red Star and Fishermans terrace get a lot of respect and there are many and varied individual places that do the best particular dish (local awards get really specific because there's such a volume of restos).

I know it is subjective. I come from Hawaii with a huge Asian influence, and although it is mostly Japanese, there are all types. We have two nights to enjoy Vancouver. My friend wants "Chinese" but she is more traditional, so I think Dynasty or Kirin for them...I would have picked Bao Bei for me.

I want to snak Sun Sui Wah in as that crab sounds to die for!

LOL...thanks a million. You are a wonderful tour guide!

Carole

I know it is subjective. I come from Hawaii with a huge Asian influence, and although it is mostly Japanese, there are all types. We have two nights to enjoy Vancouver. My friend wants "Chinese" but she is more traditional, so I think Dynasty or Kirin for them...I would have picked Bao Bei for me.

I want to snak Sun Sui Wah in as that crab sounds to die for!

LOL...thanks a million. You are a wonderful tour guide!

Carole

No problem - SSW isn't the only place that does the crab feast, they just started the ball rolling. Kirin, Dynasty etc also offer them - so assuming you have enough tummies to fill a single trip can check off Good, Fancy, Traditional and Crab Feast boxes. Here's a very detailed blog listing of the sort of goodies you can get with a crab feast at Dynasty...

I am the girl who goes to the specialties on the ship as I only eat a bowl of soup, or an appetizer (my husband has one course). I was thinking crab legs, but after reading this, I would have to starve for a week, and I don't think I could get it all down. I know my husband loves crab, so there are two of us! I am not sure about the two we are traveling with. I wonder if I can get "some crab"! Personally, we have to pay so much for king crab down here, even at Costco as that cost didn't scare me off, but ALL THAT FOOD! I hope there is just one more person to share this with. Each and every course looks great...and who could eat the noodles too! Thanks for the info...I have already gained 10 pounds.

We live in the Pacific NW and will be heading out on Amtrak while the other couple will be leaving by air--one of them is disabled. What I'd like to find is a reasonably priced day rate at a hotel where we can relax and eat a meal (allergy friendly) before heading out in our separate directions. Any suggestions? Is this possible to do in down town Vancouver. We'd be out of the room at 4 pm to make connections............help???

You would likely be best to stay downtown and that way each party can head in their own direction when the time comes. The challenge is to find a reasonable day rate hotel during the busy summer season when hotels are operating at close to 100% occupancy. I would suggest you phone the Fairmont Waterfront, the Fairmont Pacific Rim and the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver. In addition you could try the Hyatt Regency and the Pan Pacific. The Fairmont Airport and the Pacific Gateway Hotel at YVR normally have day rooms available but they are not going to be any less expensive then the aforementioned and you are going to be doubling back to the Pacific Central Station to catch your train..

Hello.

We are planning a 4-day stay (disembark Friday and fly out Tue evening) in Vancouver after our Alaska cruise.

1) We heard so many talk about Butchart Gardens as a must-see; I was trying to see if what our transportation options are. We'd rather not rent a car. Is it possible to do a nice tour to Victoria in a day using public transportation (bus, ferry, etc.)? What would you recommend? Or would it be better to spend the night to enjoy other attraction there? And what other attractions are there that is unique to Victoria/Canada?

2) We also want to get to Whistler. Can you recommend ways to get there? Is it also advisable to spend the night there? Or is it just as well to make Vancouver our base and do day-trips? Or best to break our days between Vancouver and Whistler?

I read a few other posts here recommending the gardens in Vancouver, the suspension bridge, etc, and would like to see those as well.

Would appreciate any input/advice you have, like a hotel that would be conveniently located that won't break the bank, transportation (HOHO vs trolley, etc.)!

Thank you!

Hello.

We are planning a 4-day stay (disembark Friday and fly out Tue evening) in Vancouver after our Alaska cruise.

1) We heard so many talk about Butchart Gardens as a must-see; I was trying to see if what our transportation options are. We'd rather not rent a car. Is it possible to do a nice tour to Victoria in a day using public transportation (bus, ferry, etc.)? What would you recommend? Or would it be better to spend the night to enjoy other attraction there? And what other attractions are there that is unique to Victoria/Canada?

2) We also want to get to Whistler. Can you recommend ways to get there? Is it also advisable to spend the night there? Or is it just as well to make Vancouver our base and do day-trips? Or best to break our days between Vancouver and Whistler?

I read a few other posts here recommending the gardens in Vancouver, the suspension bridge, etc, and would like to see those as well.

Would appreciate any input/advice you have, like a hotel that would be conveniently located that won't break the bank, transportation (HOHO vs trolley, etc.)!

Thank you!

Yes it is possible to visit Butchart Gardens and Victoria by transit and BC Ferries. However, the trip can easily run 12 to 14 hours return. The link below will provide you will directions. Another option is offered by Land/Sea Tours and while more expensive it is also less stressful. Now comes the question is it worth the time and expense. If you are interested in gardens and seeing the rather quaint city of Victoria as well as enjoying some wonderful scenery from the ferry then yes, it certainly is.

For Whistler, I would recommend renting a car for a day you will find it much easier to get around in Whistler with one plus it is a very scenic drive. The drive time is about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs in either direction so there is no compelling reason to stay up there over night.

Capilano Suspension Bridge and the Grouse Mountain Skyride are both popular with visitors and both offer free shuttles from downtown, schedules can be found on their respective websites.

Hotels during the summer and cruise season are expensive, you will be hard pressed to find anything much under $200 CAD per night. A hotel that is popular with tourists is the Blue Horizon on Robson Street. Failing that you may find a bargain on Hotwire, Priceline or Booking.com.

The Vancouver Trolley is a HOHO and one that I tend to recommend if only because of its live narration and arguably slightly better routing and stops.

http://www.butchartgardens.com/visit/location

http://vancouvertours.com/tour/victoria-tour/

We live in the Pacific NW and will be heading out on Amtrak while the other couple will be leaving by air--one of them is disabled. What I'd like to find is a reasonably priced day rate at a hotel where we can relax and eat a meal (allergy friendly) before heading out in our separate directions. Any suggestions? Is this possible to do in down town Vancouver. We'd be out of the room at 4 pm to make connections............help???

Aside from the Fairmonts, whose day rates are pricier than an overnight stay in a cheap hotel, I can't think of any hotels advertising day rates at all in Vancouver. Factor in likely definitions of 'reasonable' and I would be inclined to say you have virtually zero chance. While I'm loathe to recommend a service that is technically illegal here (unless rented for 30 days+), AirBnB might be the only way to achieve your aims - and at least you would definitely be getting an apartment, thus a living area with sofa/chairs that might handle four of you comfortably, unlike most non-suite hotel rooms.

On the allergy front - I can heartily recommend the Pacific Rim's restaurant, Oru, which does a great job of splitting their default menu into various sections already covering all sorts of dietary issues. But Vancouver in general is a town that handles ridiculous diets on a daily basis - it's amazing how many locals have self-diagnosed allergies to everything under the sun. Likely the most accommodating kitchen in the city is The Wallflower Cafe on Main at Broadway - not far out of the way for going to Amtrak - which caters to vegantarians, ethical carni- & pesci-vores, gluten-free, etc. etc.

Hello.

Thank you!

There's no such thing as a 'Must See' anywhere - it's all about the kind of things YOU and your traveling party WANT to see...

1) Yes, you can do Butchart entirely on public transit and it's pretty cheap. However, it's a long, looooooong day - and frankly doing an organised tour does not save you any time at all unless you throw enough cash at the problem to take a floatplane rather than ferry. Whether you arrange it yourself with transit, a rental car, or bus tours I always recommend spending at least one night on the island - it's just too much travel time, even pretty travel, for one day to feel anything but exhausting. Oddly enough I was researching some other vaycays and realised that it's quicker and easier to get to Brussels from London than it is from Vancouver to Victoria thanks to the Chunnel!

2) While there are a few coaches that go up & down, a rental car is by FAR the most convenient way to visit Whistler. Some organised day tours will stop at a couple of viewpoints, let you see a waterfall and so on, but only if you have control over the transport can you stop when and where you want for as long or short as you need.

Frankly the drive to Whistler is the highlight of a trip there - far better views to and from than from in Whistler itself... Britannia Beach mining museum is top-notch, well worth a few hours, Squamish has enough places to fuel up at lunch (Howe Sound Brewpub would be my reco), and if you see a sign pointing out a nice viewpoint stop and grab some photos as there will definitely be a view worth looking at. The newest gondola ride in the area, Sea to Sky, is also close by Squamish.

Whistler itself has very little to do unless you are active people - it's all about the hiking & biking in summer. Plenty of good (expensive) restos, one good cultural attraction in the SLCC, and if you're good with heights the Peak-to-Peak gondola - but unless you plan to hit the trails more than a day is pointless.

Lastly, even with four days you will have to make choices about priorities - a long day trip means missing out on three, four, or even more excellent options here in the city proper that are close together and easily reached. To some extent travel between cities can also be sightseeing time, but to me any return trip by same route/method is time wasted if there was a different alternative. I would seriously consider abandoning at least one of those out-of-town trips with only 4 days available - especially if one of those days is the day you need to get to the airport and not actually a full day.

Personally I'd be more inclined to do the Sea to Sky day trip than the island, just because to truly do the island justice needs at least an overnight stay - and two days gone out of your four leave insufficient time in Vancouver.

But if you feel you will be able to see all the sights of Vancouver you want to and fit in a trip to the island, if you really want to do it in one day do one leg by floatplane despite the extra expense (it's quick, it's fun, and you'll see a very different picture from up there than on a ferry).

If you can spare an overnight, then with a rental car you can take the ferry back from Nanaimo to Horseshoe Bay instead of the Tsawassen/Swartz route that all the day trips take. This lets you minimise backtracking, and there are also some fantastic attractions on the island it's really hard to get to without a car - Cathedral Grove for example, or the Aviation Museum - plus it gets you close to Squamish so you can easily do the bottom part of the Sea to Sky highway in combination with your island trip, a big efficiency improvement that gets you the best parts of the Whistler trip (i.e. everything not in Whistler!)

Hi Putterdude - I asked about you in the scary animals thread and then you disappeared for a few weeks. I was worried!

Not to worry, I come and go depending on available time, however I have been away recently on a Russia, Scandinavia cruise and some time in Germany.

Thank you, Putterdude & Martincath.

Based on your inputs, I think we will forgo Butchart this time; I would rather spend more time at Vancouver and spend a night at Whistler than just do a little bit of the 3 places.

We disembark on a Friday. I'm thinking we'll rent a car and drive on to Whistler? The 2 boys in the family are big downhill bike fans so that will be something they'd enjoy -- either a downhill ride or a cross-country ride. Hit a few of the items you mentioned (Squamish; gondola) and a ride, if there's time. Spend the night (Fri), then do more of the outdoor activities (another ride) and other attractions/museum, etc. The drive to Vancouver to spend the night (Sat) and return the rental car. Sun and Monday all day will be Vancouver sights, as well as Tues morning; we fly out early evening Tue.

Does that sound fairly reasonable? That gives us about 1.5 days in Whistler and 2.5 days in Vancouver.

Thanks again! Really appreciate the vey helpful CC community!

I can understand that with young people Whistler would be more attractive than Victoria. Your itinerary is certainly very doable and I am sure that you will enjoy your visit.

Edited by Putterdude

I can understand that with young people Whistler would be more attractive than Victoria. Your itinerary is certainly very doable and I am sure that you will enjoy your visit.

Yes, after a day of cruising thru the Inside Passage, I think they will enjoy some active time. I was also just talking to a friend who was there with her teen boys and she said although she really enjoyed Victoria, her boys didn't. If we find ourselves wanting something else besides Vancouver sights on Sunday, we will consider it.

The 2 boys in the family are big downhill bike fans so that will be something they'd enjoy -- either a downhill ride or a cross-country ride.

Thanks again! Really appreciate the vey helpful CC community!

Thank you Putterdude and Martincath!! Such great suggestions and so fast---much appreciated by our little travel group from south of the border...........:)

You're both very welcome.

With active biking fans, Whistler is definitely the right choice for your group - and an overnight will allow time to see the good stuff en route as well as fitting in the biking. One further note there - while there are plenty of trails at various grades you can ride around on, I'd recommend a group ride with a local guide or at least hanging with other cyclists. Bears are a common 'feature' of Whistler trails, so unless your kids are already accustomed to them where you live it's always a good idea to have someone familiar with best practise around to avoid any incidents due to ignorance - especially if the boys are in their 'I am invulnerable!' teen years.

Thank you Putterdude and Martincath!! Such great suggestions and so fast---much appreciated by our little travel group from south of the border...........:)

You are very welcome; day rooms is something that gets asked about 2 or 3 times each season and is something that I am always scrambling for so if you do find something please come back and tell us about it so that the information can be passed on in the future.

Yes, after a day of cruising thru the Inside Passage, I think they will enjoy some active time. I was also just talking to a friend who was there with her teen boys and she said although she really enjoyed Victoria, her boys didn't. If we find ourselves wanting something else besides Vancouver sights on Sunday, we will consider it.

If everyone enjoys cycling, a great way to see Stanley Park is by bike and there are any number of bike rentals shops down toward the park in the vicinity of Denman and Georgia Sts.

https://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1C2CAFA_enCA641CA641&q=bike%20rental%20vancouver&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=49292250,-123134423,41&tbm=lcl&ved=0ahUKEwjFyc-HxbTNAhUM2mMKHZq7AMsQjGoITA&tbs=lf:1,lf_ui:2&rlfi=hd:;si:

Undecided between Blue Horizon on Robson and the Best Western Sands on Davie. Any input ???? Also, do most places strictly accept Canadian currency only or are US accepted ?

My personal choice would be the Blue Horizon, being on Robson it is much closer to restaurants, many of the attractions of the city, the HOHOs stop in front or close by, the rooms are large and it is a very well run hotel. It's also closer to the cruise terminal at Canada Place. The Sands will put you a little closer to Stanely Park and very close to English Bay but that's about it.

Almost every place will accept USD but you will not likely receive the full advantage of the exchange. If you are only going to be in the city for a half day then it may not be worthwhile getting some CAD from your bank before you leave but if you are planning on a day or 2 in the city then I would get CAD before you come. Visa and MasterCard are certainly accepted but check with the issuer about foreign transaction fees before you leave home.