Vancouver Info if needed

Thanks Dam, imogene, and ell for the info on breakfast spots. I really do appreciate you all coming on these boards to help those of us who are trying to make the most of a wonderful trip to an awesome part of the Great Northwest. And ell, I thank you for the google map.....I have already written down the location in my travel log. Thanks so much from: gg, deep in the heart of East Texas where today it is 92 degrees with 81% humidity :eek: !!!!! Now you know why I am so excited to get to Canada and Alaska:D gg

I second Cafe Artigiano (great lattes). They also serve a selection of pastries and very good panini sandwiches.

I think the closest location for you would be 740 West Hastings Street -- around the corner and up the street from you.

Otherwise, the food court under the Fairmont Waterfront has fast food outlets. Or you could take a stroll up to Robson Street and have your pick of dozens of places.

_

I'd personally walk up to Robson--then you can eat at any of several places AND get your coffee at any of the multiple Starbuck's on that street! :D

Thank you so much for offering info. I will be flying in on 9/01 and departing from Canada Place on 9/03.

My questions are:

1. Is it worth to rent a car for the amount of time we will be there

considering we would like to stay downtown?

2. I am looking for a nice hotel as close to the pier as possible for

the price range of $150 - $250 / night, any suggestions?

3. Do I need to bring Canadian dollars, I live in the U.S.?

4. What is the weather like in September?

5. Any tour spots you would highly recommend?

6. One of the travelers in our group is actually a canadian

citizen although lives in the U.S. will he have to go

through a separate customs, embarkment than the rest

of us?

Thank you so much in advance for your advise, I can't wait to see Vancouver I have heard so many wonderful things about Vancouver.

Thank you so much for offering info. I will be flying in on 9/01 and departing from Canada Place on 9/03.

My questions are:

considering we would like to stay downtown?

the price range of $150 - $250 / night, any suggestions?

3. Do I need to bring Canadian dollars, I live in the U.S.?

4. What is the weather like in September?

5. Any tour spots you would highly recommend?

of us?

Thank you so much in advance for your advise, I can't wait to see Vancouver I have heard so many wonderful things about Vancouver.

Hi there:

1. I wouldn't bother renting a car for that short of time when staying downtown ... you can walk and there is easy transit to all the sites.

2. I'd suggest the Hyatt Regency on Burrard St - about 4 blocks to Canada Place.

3. All prices will be in Canadian currency here. With the $U.S. being devalued lately you will not get much exchange on any U.S. cash you spend, or exchange. That said, you could spend your US $ at par and people would happily accept it for cabs, meals, souvenirs, etc...

Better still (if you don't want to use our Canadian currency) use your charge cards and you will be billed by your own bank in your own funds at whatever exchange rate they set when you return.

4. September weather is usually still very nice here with temps around 20 Celcius (70 degrees F) for highs.

5. Stanley Park is a must see and you can check out Tourism Vancouver website at http://www.tourismvancouver.com/visitors/for many various things.

6. All people go through Canada Customs when arriving at YVR from other countries, regardless of their citizenship. While they do have seperate lines for Canadian citizens only, they do not have to go through those lines and can go through the same ones as you.

You will all have to go through US Customs before boarding your vessel at Canada Place for your Alaska Cruise.

Hope that helps you some and enjoy your trip.

Dave

Hello (I was the start of this thread...LOL!) We are staying at Penny's Place on Commercial Drive in Vancouver mid July. Do you have suggestions for a quality, but least expensive buffet locations to take these big gentleman to a buffet for a 3 or 4:00 meal. They probably will not want to eat dinner after that. They are tall and lean and like to eat good food. We are looking within walking or even a cab distance. The waterfront area would also be a good spot for us. They love buffets! We'll have 2 days prior to our cruise.

Do you have suggestions and possible pricing for that time frame for any of the following Buffets in the area. Chinese, American or Italian.

Do you recommend a good shopping spot to stop on way from Airport to 810 Commercial Drive around 2:30 PM? (simple groceries).

Thanks so much!

Do you have suggestions and possible pricing for that time frame for any of the following Buffets in the area. Chinese, American or Italian.

Do you recommend a good shopping spot to stop on way from Airport to 810 Commercial Drive around 2:30 PM? (simple groceries).

Vancouver is not really a big buffet kind of city. The only buffets I can think of are the expensive hotel ones. Maybe someone else knows some.

On the other hand, you are situated in a very interesting area full of great coffee shops, Italian and other ethnic restaurants. (The stretch of Commercial Drive nearby was the former "Little Italy" of Vancouver).

I'd suggest you ask the owner of the B & B for recommendations nearby. That's one of the nice things about being in a B&B - the chance to get to know the ins and outs of an area better from a local.

There are also lots of little groceries along Commercial Drive, but if you want something more mainstream, there's a Safeway at 1780 East 1st Avenue (just off Commercial Dr).

_

My questions are:

considering we would like to stay downtown? I agree not if you are going to stay inside the downtown core. Parking is expensive also.

the price range of $150 - $250 / night, any suggestions? Possibilities are endless

3. Do I need to bring Canadian dollars, I live in the U.S.? We will take your US$ but like at your place nobody has much use for foreign money so don't expect change in US or exchange unless at a bigger store

4. What is the weather like in September? Should be great Sunny and cool, cooler at night..unless it rains like it does a lot on the coast. September is usually one of the better months here :)

5. Any tour spots you would highly recommend? Granville Island/Stanley Park/and if it is a clear day Seabus to North Vancouver and Grouse mtn.

of us? Nope everyone goes through the same funnel and has the same odds of getting "Picked" for a secondary.

Hello (I was the start of this thread...LOL!) We are staying at Penny's Place on Commercial Drive in Vancouver mid July. Do you have suggestions for a quality, but least expensive buffet locations to take these big gentleman to a buffet for a 3 or 4:00 meal. They probably will not want to eat dinner after that. They are tall and lean and like to eat good food. We are looking within walking or even a cab distance. The waterfront area would also be a good spot for us. They love buffets! We'll have 2 days prior to our cruise.

Do you have suggestions and possible pricing for that time frame for any of the following Buffets in the area. Chinese, American or Italian. Noting cloe by that I can pick out. Up the "Drive" lots of great places but I am unfamiliar with their exact content. I would think Penny's would be your best source as you are in a "Unusual tourist area"

Are you driving? You should pass a shopping center somewhere along the way. No problem.

Thanks so much!

////

Thank you so much DAM1050, you are wonderful. It is always so helpful to speak to someone from where you are traveling to. I live in San Diego, CA so if you ever need some assistance or advise pls. let me know. Count down to my cruise, can't wait!

Thank you so much DAM1050, you are wonderful. It is always so helpful to speak to someone from where you are traveling to. I live in San Diego, CA so if you ever need some assistance or advise pls. let me know. Count down to my cruise, can't wait!

You are most welcome - glad to be of some help. Love your city ... we'll be spending a couple of extra days there before our Hawaii cruise in the fall.

Dave

Also, I would like to see the lighthouse in West Van; however, I read somewhere that it's quite a walk to it once you get in the park. Does anyone have any info about that, or could someone suggest a lighthouse site to check?

Interestingly enough:

today in the paper 21 JUN a nature trip was advertised for the park and the lighthouse.

"A naturalist will walk you through coastal fores a Lighthouse and Wycliffe parks and check out the evidence of past glaciations. Also watch for the eagles that return each year to raise their young"

It was for 55+ so it can't be all that tough a walk :)

I've read several pages of this thread so far, but have a few questions, if you don't mind. Traveling with my 76-year-old mom in September and staying two nights pre-cruise. Here are my questions:

1. Trying to decide between the Marriott Pinnacle Downtown and The Fairmont (the one on W. Georgia). The Marriott is offering a senior rate (thanks, Mom!) on a higher floor at $229 and internet access is $17 per night (I need that). Fairmont is $269 on a high floor including internet access and continental breakfast. Any opinions?

2. I've booked us for a 3-1/2 hour tour of the city with LandSea Tours. Thought it would be a good way for Mom to see the sights without making her walk too much, as she's got a knee that bothers her. Good decision?

3. I'm leaning toward taking her to Milestones one night. The menu is varied, it looks like it's casual and it's close to the hotel(s). In addition, I'm looking for a casual seafood restaurant near the hotel. Mom loves shrimp and lobster, and I'd like to treat her one night. However, I don't want to make her get gussied up. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I've read several pages of this thread so far, but have a few questions, if you don't mind. Traveling with my 76-year-old mom in September and staying two nights pre-cruise. Here are my questions:

2. I've booked us for a 3-1/2 hour tour of the city with LandSea Tours. Thought it would be a good way for Mom to see the sights without making her walk too much, as she's got a knee that bothers her. Good decision?

We were on this tour prior to our cruise a couple weeks ago and it was a very nice way to start our cruise. They picked us up at our hotel and dropped us off right at the cruise terminal. It's a nice tour for a general overview of Vancouver.

1. Trying to decide between the Marriott Pinnacle Downtown and The Fairmont (the one on W. Georgia). The Marriott is offering a senior rate (thanks, Mom!) on a higher floor at $229 and internet access is $17 per night (I need that). Fairmont is $269 on a high floor including internet access and continental breakfast. Any opinions?

That Fairmont is the classic Hotel Vancouver from railroad days. I'd hate to have to pay that much for it. :) Both hotels are fine maybe go with the internet !!!

3. I'm leaning toward taking her to Milestones one night. The menu is varied, it looks like it's casual and it's close to the hotel(s). In addition, I'm looking for a casual seafood restaurant near the hotel. Mom loves shrimp and lobster, and I'd like to treat her one night. However, I don't want to make her get gussied up. Suggestions?

Milestones is exactly what you think it is. You are on the wrong coast for lobster :D Think crab (tastes better too) Any of the well know fish restaurants would not require "Mom" to get dressed up. this is the west coast after all. Seafood House Stanley Park. "A kettle of fish" "Cadero's" (not the bar side) but I did find this a little noisy but it is casual

There are some hole is the walls but I'm not that local to give advice.

Thanks in advance!

Enjoy your trip

should that be holes in the wall ??

I agree with leftcoast.

the marriott is a much newer hotel, if that makes a difference to you. great beds & everything quite new - also is much closer to the water. (a fabulous cafe "artagiano" in the same block... the best latte's in the city (much better than a continental breakfast imho)

milestone's has great seafood too. & a fabulous spinach/artichoke dip for appitizers. yum.

for seafood - very close to the marriott is a seafood bistro called the spotted prawn... it has a great view, a great patio if the weather is good, is reasonable, not fancy & the seafood is great! ..go on the early side for the best service

here's a link to a review http://www.wineries.ca/sipping_chef_prawn.html

I hope that you & your mom have a lovely time in our city!

Hi

I will be up in Vancouver a day before my cruise (Aug 31st) and a day after my cruise (Sep 8). I got a hotel though priceline for Aug 31st but for the life of me, I can't get one for Sep 8th. I have gone up to $120 for *4.

Any ideas on what is going on around Sep 8th. I was able to get a hotel for $120 for Aug 31st. I am thinking there is a lot of activities going on during Sep 8th. Any ideas.

Thanks

Jennifer

We were on this tour prior to our cruise a couple weeks ago and it was a very nice way to start our cruise.

Thanks for the good review. We'll actually be doing it the day before we sail, but I'm looking forward to it. DH and I did a limo tour of Vancouver the last time we were there, but I thought Mom would enjoy this. Thanks again!

Enjoy your trip

should that be holes in the wall ??

I believe it should be holes in the wall. LOL Thanks for all the great advice. One of the things that made me lean toward the Marriott was the separate shower. Would make it easier if Mom didn't need to step in and out of the tub. I'll check out those restaurants. I saw lobster on a few of the menus, which is why I mentioned it, but she likes just about everything except mussels.

I agree with leftcoast.

the marriott is a much newer hotel, if that makes a difference to you. great beds & everything quite new - also is much closer to the water. (a fabulous cafe "artagiano" in the same block... the best latte's in the city (much better than a continental breakfast imho)

for seafood - very close to the marriott is a seafood bistro called the spotted prawn... it has a great view, a great patio if the weather is good, is reasonable, not fancy & the seafood is great! ..go on the early side for the best service

here's a link to a review http://www.wineries.ca/sipping_chef_prawn.html

I hope that you & your mom have a lovely time in our city!

I'm definitely a latte girl and I've seen Cafe Artagiano mentioned quite a bit on these boards. I'll be there! Thanks for the link for the Spotted Prawn review. Sounds great and is reasonably priced. I prefer to eat early anyway, and our timing will be all off since we'll be traveling in from the east coast.

Thanks all for the suggestions, advice and the good wishes. I'm really looking forward to spending some quality time with Mom!

Karen

Jennifer31.......I got Priceline bid for a 4* for Sept 13 for 160....I tried starting about 80 and kept going up until I finally got it..We got the Pacific Palisades....Try higher than 120 maybe....after checking Bidding for Travel it was showing that 140ish was about the norm this year for 4*....

• 2 weeks later...

We are cruising from seattle on the ncl pearl in august however we have a week in vancouver before hand. What do you think is the best way to get to seattle, train, plane, bus. I would prefer the train but I believe there is only one per day, is this correct? Any suggestions for must do's while in Vancouver?

I was so pleased to come across this thread about Vancouver. Thanks, Shoppie for starting it. You, Ell52 and others are so generous to share your information with us. I'm hoping my questions are not repeats.

We'll be in Vancouver for a night's stay pre-cruise in September. We'll arrive late morning, and are hoping to see both Granville Island and Stanley Park. With only having the one day, (and not even a full day), will it be do-able to visit both?

We're considering the Sunset Inn and Suites. Is this a good location for what we want to do? It looks like it would be an easy to walk to where we would catch a water taxi. Is the area fairly safe? Are there any nearby restaurants within walking distance of the hotel? And would it be safe to walk to them in the evening? How far of a walk would it be from the hotel to Stanley Park?

Also, we'd like to check out the dessert place, Death by Chocolate. Is it as good as it sounds??? It looks like there are a couple of locations. Which one would you recommend?

Thanks so much for your time!

We are cruising from seattle on the ncl pearl in august however we have a week in vancouver before hand. What do you think is the best way to get to seattle, train, plane, bus. I would prefer the train but I believe there is only one per day, is this correct? Any suggestions for must do's while in Vancouver?

Train North 740 am is the best way I think

South at 6 PM daily

Other option is Quick Shuttle a bus service.

One way car rentals are also a great option.

Must do's. Stanley Park

We'll be in Vancouver for a night's stay pre-cruise in September. We'll arrive late morning, and are hoping to see both Granville Island and Stanley Park. With only having the one day, (and not even a full day), will it be do-able to visit both?

You will have no trouble doing this.

I'm not familiar with your lodging

To Cal101: Thanks for the question! there are three main options for you to consider. First, is the YVR shuttle..you can't miss it as it's a big ugly green bus that runs from the airport (www.yvrairporter.com for schedule) about every twenty minutes to most downtown hotels including the Renaissance. The damage is about 12 bucks per person. Your next option is a cab, which will run you about 35 dollars plus or minus depending on traffic (please pay with a credit card or canadian cash to avoid being ripped off on the exchange rate). Finally, Limojet Gold has a flat rate of 39 plus taxes and gratuity from the airport to downtown hotels (maximum six passengers for this rate)..you can pick them up at the limo stand at the arrivals level along with the airporter shuttle and taxis. Just make sure you confirm with the limo driver in advance the flat rate and don't let him take you for a ride - so to speak. Unfortunately, not unlike other cities, I've seen my fair share of Vancouver cabbies and limo drivers try to take advantage of travelers. Hope this helps!

First of all, thanks to all of the Vancouverites(?) that have contributed to this thread. I just finished all 18 pages, and took lots of notes.

As far as the above post, I was just wondering...do the taxis (and airport shuttles) actually take credit cards?

First of all, thanks to all of the Vancouverites(?) that have contributed to this thread. I just finished all 18 pages, and took lots of notes.

As far as the above post, I was just wondering...do the taxis (and airport shuttles) actually take credit cards?

YES they do!