Vancouver Info if needed

weathermom, leftcoastBC, and imogene,

I know this question has been asked to death but I would love your opinions.... Hubby and I will be on th 6/29 Summit and staying for 2 nites in Vancouver at the end of our cruise. We are currently booked at the Sutton Place but it has been getting not so great reviews lately on line so I am a bit worried. Our other 2 choices are the Westin Grand or the Fairmont on Georgia St. Luxury and location are my big things, we decided to end our trip on a bang and stay at a high end propertywhere cost would not be an issue. Any input would be greatly appreciated, I'm more confused by the moment about which to choose.

Thank you so much for your time. Native New Yorker

I can't imagine the Sutton Place getting a bad review - it is one of the nicest properties in the City, it is also where a lot of the Celebs stay when they are filming in Hollywood North. The Fairmont Vancouver is nice and central, but it is not as nice as the Banff Spings or the Chateau Lake Louise. In a pinch I would stay at the Four Seasons -but it has been getting some mixed reviews lately . . .

The Heavenly Beds at the Westin and Sheraton are really really really comfortable - I am a horrible sleeper, and beds are important to me. But the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver is more old world traditional, but I have found the rooms pretty small for the price. The Westin is a bit too far from Robson and Yaletown, and Gas town for me.

If you are looking for sleek modern and luxurious the Opus Hotel in Yaletown is a New York style Boutique hotel and it is supposed to be fabulous. . . I would also consider Le Soleil and The Wedgwood - they are supposed to be wonderful . . .

Sorry I don't think I have been super helpful

I would do again as a group of cruisers I associate with has done twice in the past.

"Steamworks" they can handle groups with no problem and the food and beer is great. Make reservations.

In a pinch when we have a group of 10 or more we always end-up at the Milestones in Yale town - it has a great menu -lots of selection and good price range and they are great about accommodating a group as long as you call in advance. It is also family friendly - lots of our friends have small kids.

Shoppie : Question for you on the city layout. How difficult would it be to walk with luggage from Canada Place to the Sheraton Wall Centre Hotel? I am not concerned about the distance which appears to be much less than a mile, as I am the possible hills etc or construction/ traffic etc.

We are getting off the ship on a Friday morning and wanted to avoid long taxi lines if possible....

thanks !

It is about 10 city blocks slightly up hill, but mostly flat. I am not in super shape and 33 but could do it provided I have a suitcase on wheels. Burrard St is busy, but the sidewalks are fairly wide and wheelchair accessible and there are walk signals at every intersection. Personally I would be tempted to walk away from the terminal and try getting a cab at the Fairmont Waterfront or arranging a car service.

weathermom, leftcoastBC, and imogene,

I know this question has been asked to death but I would love your opinions.... Hubby and I will be on th 6/29 Summit and staying for 2 nites in Vancouver at the end of our cruise. We are currently booked at the Sutton Place but it has been getting not so great reviews lately on line so I am a bit worried. Our other 2 choices are the Westin Grand or the Fairmont on Georgia St. Luxury and location are my big things, we decided to end our trip on a bang and stay at a high end propertywhere cost would not be an issue. Any input would be greatly appreciated, I'm more confused by the moment about which to choose.

Thank you so much for your time. Native New Yorker

We stayed at the Sutton Place last year and it was fine for our family which stays at high-end luxury places all the time. Note however, instead of a hotel room, we ended up in an apartment in their adjoining building--worked out well for us given that we are a family of four--so we really didn't get the typical "hotel" experience. The location is great for shopping and eating! And for under $200/night via Hotwire, the price couldn't be beat!

In a pinch when we have a group of 10 or more we always end-up at the Milestones in Yale town - it has a great menu -lots of selection and good price range and they are great about accommodating a group as long as you call in advance. It is also family friendly - lots of our friends have small kids.
I second the recommendation for Milestones in Yaletown! :)

• 3 weeks later...

What a wonderful thread. We will staying overnight in Vancouver July 2 after our Alaska cruise. I have read that the cab situation at the dock is really bad. Can anyone tell me if there is a better alternative to getting to the Hyatt Hotel? I would really hate to spend half the day trying to get there.

What a wonderful thread. We will staying overnight in Vancouver July 2 after our Alaska cruise. I have read that the cab situation at the dock is really bad. Can anyone tell me if there is a better alternative to getting to the Hyatt Hotel? I would really hate to spend half the day trying to get there.

Being that you arrive on a Monday and the Coral Princess will be the only ship at Canada Place that day - cabs should be available OK.

That being said, the Hyatt Hotel is located only about 4 blocks from Canada Place (walk straight up Burrard Street) therefore if you have rolling luggage and not much of it- you might want to walk.

The bad cab situation here is more on days when several ships are at Canada Place -- as well as being worse cab pickup service at Ballantyne Pier.

Dave

We are arriving the end of June for one night pre-cruise at the Time Square Suites. I guess we will try to get a limo (there are 5 of us) from the airport. Does anyone know the best method to get to Ballantyne Pier...should we try to arrange a Limo in advance? Would it be cheaper to go with the Trolley? Any advice would be appreciated.

We stayed at the Times Square Suites at the end of our Pac Coastal cruise about 3 weeks ago. We loved the hotel and plan to stay there again at the end of our Alaska cruise next May. We paid our taxi driver about $15.00 CDN incl tip going between Ballentine and the hotel. Hope this helps.

Anne

1. Anybody familiar with Vancouver please inform how many passengers can be carried in a Vancouver taxi.

2. Would 3 adults and 1 kid fit into 1 taxi with their luggage?

3. Roughly how much would a taxi cost on a Thursday afternoon at say 4 pm for ataxi ride from the airport to the Hyatt?

4. Would it be roughly the same returning from the hotel to the airport on a Saturday afternoon as I presume the traffic would be appreciably less.

1. Anybody familiar with Vancouver please inform how many passengers can be carried in a Vancouver taxi.

3. Roughly how much would a taxi cost on a Thursday afternoon at say 4 pm for ataxi ride from the airport to the Hyatt?

4. Would it be roughly the same returning from the hotel to the airport on a Saturday afternoon as I presume the traffic would be appreciably less.

It would depend on the size of the adults and amount of luggage.

Strictly speaking, in a regular taxi, there should be room for 3 adults and one child (3 in back; 1 in front). We have seatbelt laws here, so all passengers must be belted-in (e.g. the child cannot sit on someone's lap). You'd probably be more comfortable in a van taxi or 2 taxis.

Cost should be about $30 -35 (incl. tip).

Depending on how many luggages, but it should be no problem if you ask the attendent at the taxi stand at the airport to call a taxi van for you.

As for cost, I never rode a taxi from airport to down town, but cost me $60-75 to get home, which is further away than down town.

We will be staying at a hotel near Canada Place (HAL has not told us which one yet) post cruise and will be flying out the next AM at 8:30, so will need to get a cab early Sunday morning. Will that be a problem to find one so early.....probably around 5:30 or 6 am. I am hopeful the hotel will call for one for us. We are at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver pre cruise, but do not know post. Thanks, gg

The cars used mostly in vancouver now are not large. You would have a problem with that number and luggage. Advice for van is bang on.

Thursday PM at 4... traffic not good and I would recommend a Limojet (fixed fee) see YVR offical site for rates.

Saturday PM will be lighter but not all that much. I'd figure $40.00 tip in.

We will be staying at a hotel near Canada Place (HAL has not told us which one yet) post cruise and will be flying out the next AM at 8:30, so will need to get a cab early Sunday morning. Will that be a problem to find one so early.....probably around 5:30 or 6 am. I am hopeful the hotel will call for one for us. We are at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver pre cruise, but do not know post. Thanks, gg

A cab at that time of the day should be no problem. Arrange for it the night before with to be sure.

We were at Sutton Place (May 2006) and had no difficulty getting a cab at 5:30am on a Sunday post cruise. It was a quick ride! We did check with the front desk the night before and they told us no reservation was needed. /Sultan

Hi dogdoc. It's very easy to get to Capilano Suspension Bridge:

• Go to Waterfront Station (next to Canada Place)
  • Purchase tickets and take the northbound Seabus
  • When you dock on the north shore, you will be at Lonsdale Quay (a public market area and transit loop)
  • Take the #236 bus (Grouse Mountain) and it will take you right to Capilano Road and the Suspension Bridge

As for import restrictions, try this site: Canada Border Services Agency

How long does it take on the seabus/regular bus?

Thanks!

dogdoc2002

How long does it take on the seabus/regular bus?

Thanks!

dogdoc2002

The Seabus ride is approx. 15 minutes and depending on which bus connection you get (say #236 or #246) it should be a total of 30 - 45 minutes barring traffic delays.

The Seabus ride is approx. 15 minutes and depending on which bus connection you get (say #236 or #246) it should be a total of 30 - 45 minutes barring traffic delays.

Thanks Ell52. About how long does it take at the bridge? i know there's other things to do there besides the suspension bridge.

Thanks again!

dogdoc2002

Does anyone have any information on the Ramada Limited Downtown? How far is it from the airport, and should we take a taxi or are there other forms of transportaion? What about seeing Stanley park-best way to get there? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!