Vancouver Info if needed

Thanks Left Coast.

It's all I could get on my Hilton Points, so I'll have to deal with it. Maybe I'll get my rental car earlier. I was going to wait until I left to go to Seattle. I hate to pay the $16.00 to park it each day!

The Hampton Inn is within walking distance of lots of shopping and restaurants, the Vancouver Art Gallery, library, Gastown, Yaletown and Chinatown. It's also only a short taxi ride to/from Canada Place and the waterfront, Stanley Park and the English Bay area.

There's no need to rent a car for only two days unless you plan on going outside the downtown area (say, to the Museum of Anthropology at UBC). Even if you'd like to go to the North Shore and see Grouse Mountain or the Capilano Suspension Bridge, it would be more economical (and fun) to take the seabus and public transit.

Thanks Ell52, after looking at the new price I got for the extra days of rental car I decided to skip it. A cab couldn't cost that much. We're also pretty good figuring out public transit (we're from Boston).

I have to figure out what the closest trolley stop would be to the HI. I want to do that the first day.

Thanks for all the info!

• 3 weeks later...

My party of 8 will be a 1-day car rental (pick up Friday, return on Saturday) within walking distance of the Canada Place Pier or at least one that will shuttle 8 people with luggage from the pier.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

FOFT

My party of 8 will be a 1-day car rental (pick up Friday, return on Saturday) within walking distance of the Canada Place Pier or at least one that will shuttle 8 people with luggage from the pier.

Any suggestions?

Is there any particular reason you want to rent a car? Yes, there are rental car agency kiosks at Canada Place. However, I think you will need to rent at least 2 vehicles for 8 people plus luggage. Minivans seat a maximum of 7, and even then, I'm not sure it would accomodate the additonal luggage from a cruise. In addition, parking in Vancouver is very expensive and if you plan to sightsee within downtown Vancouver, quite impractical.

As has previously been discussed here, downtown Vancouver is very easy to get around by foot, taxi or public transit.

Hello,

Four of us are going on a cruise on the Infinity May 27th this year. We are thinking about staying at the Hyatt Regency in downtown Vancouver and taking the airport limo from the airport. http://www.yvr.ca/pdf/guide/limojetbrochure.pdf

We understand that these limo's are lined up out front and would charge a total of 47.70 CAD to take the 4 of us to the hotel. They also quoted us 32 CAD from the hotel to the Ballantyne terminla.

Does anybody know anything that might not work with all this????

John & Betty

Hello,

Four of us are going on a cruise on the Infinity May 27th this year. We are thinking about staying at the Hyatt Regency in downtown Vancouver and taking the airport limo from the airport. http://www.yvr.ca/pdf/guide/limojetbrochure.pdf

We understand that these limo's are lined up out front and would charge a total of 47.70 CAD to take the 4 of us to the hotel. They also quoted us 32 CAD from the hotel to the Ballantyne terminla.

Does anybody know anything that might not work with all this????

John & Betty

:eek: The $32 from the hotel....

Now I just read this again and you say Infinity and Ballantyne normally she sails form Canada Place. So if It is the former you're fine

You can almost throw a rock to the dock. lol. almost. It's likley because they would have to pull a limo from the routine of back and forth on their routes. Take a cab.

We have used the limo airpoort servce a number of times would use it again and highly recommend it especially with all the Olympic construction goin' on.

Hi LeftcoastBC,

Thanks for the imput. If I'm reading this right Infinity will be at the Ballantyne dock. Too bad, we would have prefered Canada Place.

http://www.portvancouver.com/vanAlaCruise/content/schedule/index.php?

Now the trick will be to get reasonable airfare from Sacramento to Vancouver. Any suggestions?

John

John& Betty.

Yes you are reading that correct. First year that's happened normally she is at Canada Place. Thanks for bring that to my attention. We are going with a group of CCer's in Auguast and I know we were all thinking Canada Place. :eek:

Now your airfare..... Why don;t ou just take the first cruise North from Down there in California or over to Hawaii or something. :D and then pull into Vancouver on a ship.

Sorry got no good idea's on air. It's always a pain. Just don't forget you need a passport now to fly.

Shoppie, Your advice on what to do with a short stay. We arrive Mid May for just 5 hrs on the cruise ship. Have no plans due to such a short stay. Not into hikes, or anything too physical. Maybe a nice ride around town and a bit of shopping. Do I need to get Canadian money for this?

Thanks, Joan

Hi,

Someone mentioned a Dim Sum restaurant in downtown Vancouver that was good and now I can’t find the post. Anyone know a good one?

We have been to Vancouver many times but always stayed at the Park Royal and ate at their lovely little restaurant overlooking that beautiful garden. I still can’t believe they tore it down.

John

Hi,

Someone mentioned a Dim Sum restaurant in downtown Vancouver that was good and now I can’t find the post. Anyone know a good one?

I just read this entire thread (researching for my Alaska cruise this summer) so I know the post you're talking about.

Must go places

Sun Sui Wah Restaurant has great dim sum. Dim sum is kind of like a chinese brunch. The servers push carts around and you pick what dishes you'd like. Most of the servers cannot speak english all that well so speak slowly to them to find out what they have!

Here is the original post.

John&Betty

I just read this entire thread (researching for my Alaska cruise this summer) so I know the post you're talking about.
Originally Posted by ultimatemaniaccruiser

Sun Sui Wah Restaurant has great dim sum. Dim sum is kind of like a chinese brunch. The servers push carts around and you pick what dishes you'd like. Most of the servers cannot speak english all that well so speak slowly to them to find out what they have!

Sun Sui Wah, while excellent, is not downtown. They have two locations; one in Richmond and the one in Vancouver. The Vancouver one is at 3888 Main Street. You'd need a taxi or bus ride to get there from downtown. By the way, the best Chinese restaurants are not downtown, but in the 'burbs and Richmond.

Some good downtown dim sum restaurants are Kirin Mandarin on Alberni; Shanghai Bistro on Alberni; the Victoria Chinese on Melville (same complex as the Hyatt - a bit pricey). Also the Imperial on Burrard (in the Marine Building) can be good, but the view is probably better. The first two are northern style and the Victoria and Imperial are Cantonese (southern)-style if it makes a difference to you.

Enjoy. :)

Thanks ell52,

When I think of Dim Sum I think of the little carts they bring around with all the little dishes on them like snacker is talking about. There used to be a good one on the corner of Market and Embarcadero in San Francisco.

We will be there from about 3 pm on Saturday until we board the Infinity Sunday afternoon and we did book the Hyatt Regency downtown. Maybe we'll have dinner at the Top of Vancouver. Has anyone eaten there?

John

One more quick question. Do the grocery stores sell beer & wine or do you have to buy it at the liqour store?

You have to buy them at either a liquor store or a cold beer and wine store. There are several located throughout the downtown Vancouver core.

One more quick question. Do the grocery stores sell beer & wine or do you have to buy it at the liqour store?

John&Betty, since you're staying at the Hyatt, there is a liquor store about 2 blocks away on Alberni and Thurlow (approx one block south; and one block west). Good selection.

We are flying into Vancouver on June 1st but our flight doesn't arrive until midnight. I booked some rooms at the Hampton Inn by the airport and they have transportation from the airport. I am just wondering are there any stores close by so we can buy a couple of cases of water and caffeine free diet coke for our cruise? Would we be better off staying in the downtown area? I would like to bid on priceline but I don't know if it is too early. We are a large group and need four rooms. Thanks....

We are flying into Vancouver on June 1st but our flight doesn't arrive until midnight. I booked some rooms at the Hampton Inn by the airport and they have transportation from the airport. I am just wondering are there any stores close by so we can buy a couple of cases of water and caffeine free diet coke for our cruise? Would we be better off staying in the downtown area? I would like to bid on priceline but I don't know if it is too early. We are a large group and need four rooms. Thanks....

I don't think there are any stores within walking distance of this hotel at that time of night. But in the AM a Taxi enroute to the Port of your choice could easily stop along the way at a suitable store if you told the driver what you needed.( and he speaks english :) )

A downtown hotel would give you a bit of extra time the next morning but I think the rates out by the airport will be the best.

I have stayed at this hotel it's fine for an overnighter.

We just booked a room at the Listel Hotel for 3 nights at the conclusion of our Cruise/Tour on Princess. We have family in Vancouver and will be out with them each day. Just wanted a comfortable bed in the trendy part of town. Managed to get it for about $185/night US. Did we do all right? I was getting all kinds of ridiculously high quotes on nicer places and big numbers on other places that weren't rated as high as Listel. Closest price was The Sylvia with no A/C.

Comments please...:confused:

We just booked a room at the Listel Hotel for 3 nights at the conclusion of our Cruise/Tour on Princess. We have family in Vancouver and will be out with them each day. Just wanted a comfortable bed in the trendy part of town. Managed to get it for about $185/night US. Did we do all right? I was getting all kinds of ridiculously high quotes on nicer places and big numbers on other places that weren't rated as high as Listel. Closest price was The Sylvia with no A/C.

Comments please...:confused:

Did you book directly with the hotel and were the quotes for the other places also direct from the hotels? Often, you get better pricing by booking through a site like Travelocity or Expedia. It also depends on when you're coming to Vancouver. Prices are always higher in the summer and the middle of cruiseship season.

If you don't mind bidding (and your reservation is cancellable) I'd suggest trying for a 4* hotel on Priceline. I'm pretty sure you'd get something as nice or nicer than the Listel for less.

Hi,

We have been to Vancouver many times but always stayed at the Park Royal and ate at their lovely little restaurant overlooking that beautiful garden. I still can’t believe they tore it down.

John

Your spinning earth had me in a daze...cool!

If you don't mind bidding (and your reservation is cancellable) I'd suggest trying for a 4* hotel on Priceline. I'm pretty sure you'd get something as nice or nicer than the Listel for less.

I am trying to use priceline to book a hotel in Seattle through priceline and can't figure out how to bid more than once for the same area, 4star...any help???

Did you book directly with the hotel and were the quotes for the other places also direct from the hotels? Often, you get better pricing by booking through a site like Travelocity or Expedia. It also depends on when you're coming to Vancouver. Prices are always higher in the summer and the middle of cruiseship season.

Well I did some more research and after looking at the TripAdvisor website, we decided to try the Times Square Suites. TA posters rated it their 2nd most favorite in all of Vancouver. The rates were only a few $ higher than Listel and we get a one bedroom suite with kitchen, washer/dryer and bigger more updated bathroom.

Anyone from this forum ever stayed there:confused: ?

I am trying to use priceline to book a hotel in Seattle through priceline and can't figure out how to bid more than once for the same area, 4star...any help???

I'm sorry I can't help you with Seattle as I'm not familiar with available hotels and zones in the Seattle area. The strategy of re-bidding has to do with "free re-bid zones". It is a major component of successful bidding on Priceline.

You can get more detailed information and help about re-bids at either betterbidding.com or biddingfortravel.com.