Vancouver Info if needed

We will be flying in late the night before our cruise and staying near the airport. We have a pre-cruise city tour booked with LandSea Tours and will be dropped off at Canada Place. Is there any place close by where we could pick up soda and wine before getting on the ship?

We will be flying in late the night before our cruise and staying near the airport. We have a pre-cruise city tour booked with LandSea Tours and will be dropped off at Canada Place. Is there any place close by where we could pick up soda and wine before getting on the ship?

Harbour Centre has a Gov't Liquor store and I'm sure there is a mix place there also. Lower level. You can enter off Water street (a rear entrance) and the store is right there. You can almost see Canada Place.

Although if it's a small tour group maybe your guide do a stop and go someplace and you would not have to worry about walking and carrying stuff.

Short Walk to/from Canada Place

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/en/storelocations?postalcode=&region=Lower%20Mainland&location=Vancouver%20-%20Downtown&storenum=

Just got cruise documents in and we will be staying 2 days pre cruise at Fairmont Waterfront and 1 day post, at Pan Pacific. Please give me any info about these (I have visited web site and think they look great) re: what is close and where would you have meals. Is there a Starbucks or coffee shop close to both, to have a light breakfast ?? How far to Stanley park from each. Thank you. gg

Just got cruise documents in and we will be staying 2 days pre cruise at Fairmont Waterfront and 1 day post, at Pan Pacific. Please give me any info about these (I have visited web site and think they look great) re: what is close and where would you have meals. Is there a Starbucks or coffee shop close to both, to have a light breakfast ?? How far to Stanley park from each. Thank you. gg
Funny you should mention Starbucks. I've travelled to most major North American cities, and Vancouver very competes favorably with other west coast cities such as Seattle for highest concentration of Starbuck's! There are several locations downtown where there are two Starbuck's on opposite sides of the same intersection!

Hi gg

these 2 hotels are across the road from each other. The Pan is the hotel above the cruise ship terminal. Both are absolutely gorgeous hotels.

There is a starbucks in the lobby of the Pan Pacific there another starbucks in the concourse underground walkway below the fairmont that goes across to the convention centre/Pan Pacific. Vancouver is a coffee kind of city - There are many great coffee places in Vancouver...starbucks aplenty + many others.

Stanley park is a fast 20 minute walk or a slow 30 minute walk along the seawall..or use one of the many kinds of tours that go there or the local city buses or catch a cab. You're in a great location.

for breakfast, the hotels are notoriously expensive, but there is a good food fair in the concourse attached to the fairmont waterfront. lots of places to choose from in there & not all fast-food...I'd go there from both hotels.

Thank you so much Terpnut and Weathermom - y'all have been a lot of help for me throughout my planning and I thank you kindly. I am so excited I can hardly stand it. We are taking the Vancouver Big Red Bus (the double decker bus) that you can hop on and hop off post cruise. I need to check if it stops close to the Fairmont Waterfront for a pick up. I bet it does. gg

gg... for sure it stops in front of the Pan Pacific (across the road from your hotel) and there is a pedestrian crosswalk right there. (I park at canada place /Pan Pacific for work each day & see the bus there on my way home) ...you can grab your starbucks frappucino & be on your way LOL

have fun!!

Thinking of booking a night pre-cruise at the Blue Horizon. I looks great, and gets good reviews. I was just curious if there's any particular location to request, other than up high (although you pay more!) and corner room (likewise)?

Also, I would like to see the lighthouse in West Van; however, I read somewhere that it's quite a walk to it once you get in the park. Does anyone have any info about that, or could someone suggest a lighthouse site to check? Also, when cruise ships go out of Vancouver, is it possible they go by there, or do they turn south instead and head towards Victoria?

gg... for sure it stops in front of the Pan Pacific (across the road from your hotel) and there is a pedestrian crosswalk right there. (I park at canada place /Pan Pacific for work each day & see the bus there on my way home) ...you can grab your starbucks frappucino & be on your way LOL

have fun!!

Thanks so much for your help. It is like having my own travel agent in Vancouver. We will be coming in less than 3 weeks. So here is a weather question :D . Will I probably be more comfy in capris and short sleeved tees, or jeans and long sleeves ?? This week, in E. Texas, it has been in the 90's, humidity in the 70 %, but today it is pouring rain and 68 degrees. Pure bliss. I do appreciate you. gg

Thanks Ell52. About how long does it take at the bridge? i know there's other things to do there besides the suspension bridge.

Thanks again!

dogdoc2002

Hard to say - depends on how long you want to stay in the Treetops Adventure (bridges between the trees), reading the nature signs, viewing the totem and native displays and shopping in the gift shop areas.

There may also be a long line for the bridge during peak times in the summer. I'd suggest going either early morning (when they open) or later in the afternoon or evening.

Just a warning though - the price has increased substantially. I just looked at their website and it's currently $26.95 per adult.

Here's a link for a $1 off coupon (not much, I know, but it's better than nothing).

If you only want a suspension bridge experience and a natural park, that's FREE, you might want to try Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge instead. It's not as long and spectacular, but is in more of a natural environment (e.g. no shops, restaurants and shows).

And just for everyone's general information: It stays light out until well past 9:30 pm in mid-summer. So don't worry about park closing times of 9 pm. It will be plenty bright to see things.

_

Thanks so much for your help. It is like having my own travel agent in Vancouver. We will be coming in less than 3 weeks. So here is a weather question :D . Will I probably be more comfy in capris and short sleeved tees, or jeans and long sleeves ?? This week, in E. Texas, it has been in the 90's, humidity in the 70 %, but today it is pouring rain and 68 degrees. Pure bliss. I do appreciate you. gg

gg, you should be fine in capris and tees, but I'd bring jeans and long sleeves just in case. We've been having a stretch of cool, rainy weather lately, so we're due for some hot sunny days. :D Weather in July is generally hot (being 70s - low/mid 80s) and sunny.

BTW, you will love the hotels you're getting! Take some time and walk around the outside concourse of Canada Place after your ship docks to see it up close from a different perspective. If you've got a good map of the ship and your cabin happens to be facing dockside, you could see it from Canada Place . I always think that's cool.

_

Thinking of booking a night pre-cruise at the Blue Horizon. I looks great, and gets good reviews. I was just curious if there's any particular location to request, other than up high (although you pay more!) and corner room (likewise)?

Also, I would like to see the lighthouse in West Van; however, I read somewhere that it's quite a walk to it once you get in the park. Does anyone have any info about that, or could someone suggest a lighthouse site to check? Also, when cruise ships go out of Vancouver, is it possible they go by there, or do they turn south instead and head towards Victoria?

IT'S BEEN YEARS since I walked there or I think I did. It's not far as I recall to get to the rocks and overlook but you know I don't remember actually being close to a lighthouse.:)

Maybe someone else local can help!

Normally one will see the lighthouse from the ship.

IT'S BEEN YEARS since I walked there or I think I did. It's not far as I recall to get to the rocks and overlook but you know I don't remember actually being close to a lighthouse.:)

Maybe someone else local can help!

Normally one will see the lighthouse from the ship.

Lighthouse Park: It's not so much a long walk, as the fact that you have to climb down to get closer to the water level and lighthouse viewpoint. The lighthouse is on kind of a rocky outcropping -- not directly attached to the green park area.

It's doable if you're in reasonable shape and able to climb (hike) up and down a moderate slope.

It's a gorgeous area if you go.

_

Thanks for replying about Vancouver! We decided to come a few days early (all 5 of us) to spend a few nights over in a B&B. This way we can learn more about the city, than flying in and leaving on the ship! I love reading replies. We'll be traveling with 2 inlaws and our 14 year old and us so if there are any suggestions for simple enjoyment of the city for the week of July 23rd this summer, please let me know!

Thanks and have a great summer!

We are on our way to Vancouver this coming Friday!! We will be going to Granville Island to see "Suds" at the Artsclub Theatre (I think this is the name), and I wondered what was the best way to get there and back in the evening? We are renting a car on Friday and could keep through Saturday night, but would prefer to turn it in. Also, any restaurant you would reccommend for dinner near the theatre? We will have a 13 year-old with us. Thanks.

We are on our way to Vancouver this coming Friday!! We will be going to Granville Island to see "Suds" at the Artsclub Theatre (I think this is the name), and I wondered what was the best way to get there and back in the evening? We are renting a car on Friday and could keep through Saturday night, but would prefer to turn it in. Also, any restaurant you would reccommend for dinner near the theatre? We will have a 13 year-old with us. Thanks.

Take a cab, it's not that far, if you don't want to drive. We ate at the Sandbar and it was great. Very lively atmosphere, but a bit of a wait if you want to eat outside. Later at night the bar turns into quite the party place.

I'd suggest taking a taxi. The roads in and around Granville Island are congested and parking is not always easy to find.

Consider having dinner at one of the restaurants on Granville Island. Then just walk to the theatre after dinner.

My first choice would be The Sandbar or Dockside. Bridges has a great view, but is inconsistent.

Other Granville Island restaurants your 13 year-old might like: The Keg for a middle of the road steakhouse; and Sammy J Pepper, a chain restaurant with a little of everything.

The Arts Club Theatre also partners with some restaurants for 3-course set theatre menus.

_

I'll 3rd the cab..parking can be a real pain. Even for those of us that think we can find a spot cause "We know"

and those are good choices for food.

The only way I would not take a cab is if I was close to the Island and could walk to a Ferry dock on the downtown side. That's for getting there, going back I think would be a cab cause of the time. (darkness/no ferry running ?)

We will be in Vancouver over Labor Day weekend staying at the Metropolitan Hotel on Howe Street across from the Pacific Mall. The hotel has a fine dining restaurant, but that's a little pricey for us. Can you recommend any places for a more reasonably priced breakfast and/or dinner within walking distance of the hotel? Thanks.

Any good places for breakfast near Fairmont Waterfront and Pan Pacific ?? Not looking for expensive (or we could eat the buffet in the hotels), but something on a smaller scale like a bakery, cafe or even a Starbucks. gg

Any good places for breakfast near Fairmont Waterfront and Pan Pacific ?? Not looking for expensive (or we could eat the buffet in the hotels), but something on a smaller scale like a bakery, cafe or even a Starbucks. gg

Waterfront Centre is right there (underground from Pan Pacific & Fairmont), and they have Starbucks as well as several fast food outlets.

Dave

I would go to Cafe Artigiano on Hornby between Robson and Georgia (a few minutes walk for one of the best Lattes in the city)

They also have a location on Pender that might be a bit closer (1101 West Pender Street)

I second Cafe Artigiano (great lattes). They also serve a selection of pastries and very good panini sandwiches.

I think the closest location for you would be 740 West Hastings Street -- around the corner and up the street from you.

Otherwise, the food court under the Fairmont Waterfront has fast food outlets. Or you could take a stroll up to Robson Street and have your pick of dozens of places.

_