Vancouver Info if needed

I think the only actual question you had in your responses to me & PD (which I didn't see while typing mine, sorry for doubling-up on Granville Island website redundantly) was about Dino skeletons in our museums.

There's a small selection of dinos among the fossil collection in the Royal BC in Victoria, and there 's one complete skeleton (a duck-billed dino of some type I think) in Vancouver - I think it's now displayed in the Beaty Biodiversity Museum having previously been in the PME which is being renovated. Beaty also has a complete Blue Whale skeleton which is rather uncommon.

BTW, if your trip(s) to Britain also included a lot of stately homes, Craigdarroch should slip way down your list of reasons to see Victoria - it's a rather Disney-esque manor house architecturally-speaking, not in any shape or form a castle. The most interesting thing about it IMO was that the floor-plan was used in an expansion to the boardgame Kill Doctor Lucky and the owners of Craigdarroch threatened legal action. NB: if you have not toured many castles & manor homes I'm sure it's a worthwhile place to visit!

Thanks for info.:)

Thank you! Yes, that is very true. I currently live in Chicago but grew up in rural Virginia and have since lived in NYC and Los Angeles so I'm used to country and city attractions. Truthfully, what I'm most looking forward to is the scenery there, the pictures look beautiful.

I'm sure Stanley Park will be a must! Chicago has a gorgeous lakefront but Lake Michigan ain't the Pacific Ocean.

The public transit tips are extremely helpful. Thats what I prefer to use.

I also have a penchant for visiting quirky neighborhoods.

Your Must Do list will probably be unique to you - I don't know anything about your interests...

However there are some 'pretty hard or impossible to do anywhere else' things that seem like a good place to start:

Stanley Park isn't the only urban park in the world, but I can't think of any others of comparable size that also border the ocean. The part of the Seawall that surrounds the park is a popular walk and cycle route, which you can also follow all the way down to Canada Place on one side of the peninsula and right around the inlet of False Creek and out to Kitsilano on the other side - cycling the whole route doesn't take too long, but if you were going to stick to Shanks' Mare then I suggest you pick a specific chunk to spend a couple of hours on (just the loop around the park for example).

Grouse Mountain offers hiking, skiing (in the right season), a wolf & grizzly bear mini-zoo, and top-of-the-mountain dining with a great view of downtown Vancouver - and is easily accessible from downtown by public transit.

Capilano Bridge is high, long, and in a beautiful setting (there's also the free Lynn Canyon bridge but with your limited timeframe it's probably just going to take too long to get to - whereas Cap is right on the road to Grouse Mountain, and does offer more things than the bridge itself like the new cliffwalk).

On the cultural rather than outdoorsy front, as a comparatively young city we're lacking in vast arrays of art galleries, museums, historic buildings etc. that older places have but there are still some relative highlights. Probably the most different one we have would be the Museum of Anthropology out at UBC, though the Beaty Biodiversity museum is also pretty good (a whole blue whale skeleton isn't too common a sight). The Vanier Park 'campus' of museums packs several different ones into a small area (the Vancouver Maritime Museum, the Museum of Vancouver, and the HR MacMillan Space Centre) and they're right next to the Bard on the Beach site if you want to take in some outdoor Shakespeare.

Wandering down the main 'cruise drag' from Canada Place to Gastown via Water Street takes you by our relatively old (and nicely renovated) downtown railway station (now used for commuter trains & Skytrain rather than long distance, also the Seabus over to the north shore), many of our oldest buildings, the Steam Clock and the Gassy Jack (our first Mayor) statue.

There are also a couple of options for a high-up rotating view - the Vancouver Lookout and the Cloud 9 bar or restaurant on top of the Empire Landmark hotel.

If your interests don't tie in with any of the above, scan the thread until you find one of BCHappyGals posts with her extensive list of local attractions.

Is there a "city pass" that one can purchase that gets you into some museums, different attractions, etc. Or is it just pay at each venue. Some cities do offer this , but have not seen this mentioned on these boards. Thanks for the information.

Cori

Is there a "city pass" that one can purchase that gets you into some museums, different attractions, etc. Or is it just pay at each venue. Some cities do offer this , but have not seen this mentioned on these boards. Thanks for the information.

Cori

I am not aware of any such pass other than the Entertainment book but you would need to look at the contents of it to see it would have any value to you.

http://vancouver.entertainment.com/discount/browse.shtml?location=vancouver,+bc&as_fid=42

Cori

I know the ones you mean - unfortunately they don't have one for Vancouver. As well as the Entertainment book mentioned by PD there's also a City Passport (same concept as EB, similar list of coupons, but you might find one or the other offers a better list of attractions for you).

My mom and I will be arriving at YVR at about 1130 and staying at the Marriott Renaissance. Looking at the website, it appears that there is plenty to occupy us at the Capilano Suspension Bridge Park for the afternoon and we can get a (free) shuttle there before 4:30 p.m. With that said, I would guess that we would probably spend that night in the Gastown/Chinatown area...so I'm looking for ideas on what to do for the following morning prior to embarkation.

Also, if we go with this plan, what Skytrain ticket should we buy? I know that there is a $5 surcharge for individual tix at YVR but is there any benefit to us purchasing any other configuration? FYI, Mom qualifies for the senior rate.

Thanks much!

martincath and Putterdude: Thanks for the infomation re the Entertainment book and the City Pass, I am checking them out and I think the City Pass might just be what we need. Thanks again you guys are a great help to all of us asking for your expertise.

Cori

My mom and I will be arriving at YVR at about 1130 and staying at the Marriott Renaissance. Looking at the website, it appears that there is plenty to occupy us at the Capilano Suspension Bridge Park for the afternoon and we can get a (free) shuttle there before 4:30 p.m. With that said, I would guess that we would probably spend that night in the Gastown/Chinatown area...so I'm looking for ideas on what to do for the following morning prior to embarkation.

Also, if we go with this plan, what Skytrain ticket should we buy? I know that there is a $5 surcharge for individual tix at YVR but is there any benefit to us purchasing any other configuration? FYI, Mom qualifies for the senior rate.

Thanks much!

I assume you mean to take the free shuttle back from Capilano too; so the only transit trip will be Skytrain from the airport?

If that's correct, just pay for the ticket at the station machines - you'll pay a $5 AddFare each on the way into town, but even if you are doing a round trip and take Skytrain back to YVR at the end, it's still cheaper than buying a book of 10 FareSavers which you won't use...

• You $2.75 + $5 + $2.75 = $10.50
  • Mom $1.75 + $5 + $1.75 = $8.50
  • Total $19.00 vs (pack of 10 1 Zone Faresavers) $21

NB: assumes you arrive and depart on weekend so just need a 1 zone ticket

If you're arriving and departing on a weekday and need 2 Zone tickets, math changes to:

• You $4 + $5 + $4 = $13
  • Mom $2.75 + $5 + $2.75 = $10.50
  • Total $23.50 vs (1 Zone Faresaver book at $21 + AddFares of $1.25 per ticket each way) $26

If one of your trips is peak time, but the other off-peak, you'll still be a couple of bucks better off just paying cash fare price.

BUT - if you're going to go *anywhere else* on transit, even just one-way, you would save money by picking up a book of 1 zone Faresavers and avoiding the $5 ding on the way in. Unless you're doing a lot of transit trips, it's not worth buying a Concession pack and a regular Adult price pack since they only come in multiples of 10 - but someone entitled to a Concession fare can always choose to use Adult tickets, so splitting a pack of Adult Faresavers between you has been my assumption above.

Edited by martincath

martincath and Putterdude: Thanks for the infomation re the Entertainment book and the City Pass, I am checking them out and I think the City Pass might just be what we need. Thanks again you guys are a great help to all of us asking for your expertise.

Cori

No problem - and whichever way you decide, please come back and tell us why that one was best for you; it may help future visitors weigh their options better.

I assume you mean to take the free shuttle back from Capilano too; so the only transit trip will be Skytrain from the airport?

If that's correct, just pay for the ticket at the station machines - you'll pay a $5 AddFare each on the way into town, but even if you are doing a round trip and take Skytrain back to YVR at the end, it's still cheaper than buying a book of 10 FareSavers which you won't use...

• You $2.75 + $5 + $2.75 = $10.50
  • Mom $1.75 + $5 + $1.75 = $8.50
  • Total $19.00 vs (pack of 10 1 Zone Faresavers) $21

NB: assumes you arrive and depart on weekend so just need a 1 zone ticket

If you're arriving and departing on a weekday and need 2 Zone tickets, math changes to:

• You $4 + $5 + $4 = $13
  • Mom $2.75 + $5 + $2.75 = $10.50
  • Total $23.50 vs (1 Zone Faresaver book at $21 + AddFares of $1.25 per ticket each way) $26

If one of your trips is peak time, but the other off-peak, you'll still be a couple of bucks better off just paying cash fare price.

BUT - if you're going to go *anywhere else* on transit, even just one-way, you would save money by picking up a book of 1 zone Faresavers and avoiding the $5 ding on the way in. Unless you're doing a lot of transit trips, it's not worth buying a Concession pack and a regular Adult price pack since they only come in multiples of 10 - but someone entitled to a Concession fare can always choose to use Adult tickets, so splitting a pack of Adult Faresavers between you has been my assumption above.

Thanks so much for the information! I did not realize that weekends entitled one to Zone 1 fares for the commute from YVR and yes, we are doing the NB. I guess I need to lock down what specifically we'll be doing to determine the *best* bang for our bucks.

Sorry if these questions have already been answered. I have not had time to go through the pages and pages of this thread.

My husband and I are arriving in Vancouver on Aug. 31 to depart on a cruise that day. Our flight arrives at 8 a.m. We were planning on taking the Skytrain to the port and returning to the airport after our cruise on Sept. 14. Where would we purchase tickets? I am judging by the post I see just above this that our best bet would be to buy a pack of tickets.

Also, we will be dropping our luggage at the ship and walking around downtown prior to our cruise. What is the best option for purchasing our wine and water close to the pier? I have researched and found the Harbour Mall Liquor store which I believe is the closest. I am not sure if there is a store nearby to purchase water.

Also, after the cruise, our flight does not leave until 7 p.m. Is there somewhere that we can store our luggage so we can tour around Vancouver?

Thanks for all your help on this board.

Sorry if these questions have already been answered. I have not had time to go through the pages and pages of this thread.

My husband and I are arriving in Vancouver on Aug. 31 to depart on a cruise that day. Our flight arrives at 8 a.m. We were planning on taking the Skytrain to the port and returning to the airport after our cruise on Sept. 14. Where would we purchase tickets? I am judging by the post I see just above this that our best bet would be to buy a pack of tickets.

Also, we will be dropping our luggage at the ship and walking around downtown prior to our cruise. What is the best option for purchasing our wine and water close to the pier? I have researched and found the Harbour Mall Liquor store which I believe is the closest. I am not sure if there is a store nearby to purchase water.

Also, after the cruise, our flight does not leave until 7 p.m. Is there somewhere that we can store our luggage so we can tour around Vancouver?

Thanks for all your help on this board.

I think you misread my post above - unless you're going to use transit for *more* than just coming & going YVR - Canada Place, then a pack of tickets does not save money. If there's at least 1 other person traveling with you & the hubster or you plan to use transit to go at least one other place, then a 10-pack of 1 Zone Faresavers ($21) is totally worth picking up (all your transit is on weekends).

The airport 7-11 or Pharmasave are your only option to get these - their locations are listed on the maps of the terminals.

You've found the closest liquor store, although there's a bigger one not too much further away at Alberni & Bute. Water you can buy in several drugstores, convenience stores or supermarkets around the area - which to use depends where you're walking (e.g. I'd go to Nesters in Gastown, or Urban Fare if you're going to the bigger liquor store, or both London Drugs and Shoppers Drugmart have several downtown locations).

Luggage storage - 2 options. Ask the bell staff (nicely - with money...) at a hotel near the port to store them for you, or pay Priority Baggage to store them at the pier itself. For a 7pm domestic flight YVR recommends being at the airport 2 hours early, so picking up your bags 4ish will give you ample time for the trip back to YVR (usually a little over half an hour including walking to & from the stations).

I think you misread my post above - unless you're going to use transit for *more* than just coming & going YVR - Canada Place, then a pack of tickets does not save money. If there's at least 1 other person traveling with you & the hubster or you plan to use transit to go at least one other place, then a 10-pack of 1 Zone Faresavers ($21) is totally worth picking up (all your transit is on weekends).

The airport 7-11 or Pharmasave are your only option to get these - their locations are listed on the maps of the terminals.

You've found the closest liquor store, although there's a bigger one not too much further away at Alberni & Bute. Water you can buy in several drugstores, convenience stores or supermarkets around the area - which to use depends where you're walking (e.g. I'd go to Nesters in Gastown, or Urban Fare if you're going to the bigger liquor store, or both London Drugs and Shoppers Drugmart have several downtown locations).

Luggage storage - 2 options. Ask the bell staff (nicely - with money...) at a hotel near the port to store them for you, or pay Priority Baggage to store them at the pier itself. For a 7pm domestic flight YVR recommends being at the airport 2 hours early, so picking up your bags 4ish will give you ample time for the trip back to YVR (usually a little over half an hour including walking to & from the stations).

Thank you so much for all of the helpful information.

No problem - and whichever way you decide, please come back and tell us why that one was best for you; it may help future visitors weigh their options better.

Sure , I will report back after the cruise, I am thinking the City Passport because it gives you several options for 2 for 1 price tickets to several venues, and a Hop on Hop off Trolley option as well. Only thing I am wondering about is that I don't see the Stanly Park trolley ( the one that goes through the park) listed on the trolley site anymore, only the bus , I think they may have discontinuned the trolley , and that would make a differance for us, since we plan on spending some time there. We will be in Vancouver for 3 days and plan on getting either the 2 day trolly or 2 day bus pass, we will be able to use those easily. So many things to see and do , that we want to make good use of our time in Vancouver. Thanks again.

Cori

Hi Scott,

We are disembarking the Radiance on Sept 13th. We have an early flight the next morning, we currently have an reservation at the Westin Wall Centre Airport hotel. Our plan was to take the Sky Train to the hotel (or nearby) and leave our bags and head back into the city to meet our inlaws. They are staying a few days and have hotel reservations downtown.

Looking at the Westin site, the "hotel is less than a 10-minute walk from the train station." Knowing we will have luggage, that didn't sound super close. So I called them and they said the Bridgeport station was the closest, a 10 minute walk and tried to push a shuttle company. Hmm, maybe not the best choice. However, we do have Marriott points as well, and their site says they are .1 mile from the Richmond-Brighouse station for the Vancouver Airport Marriott. Ok, that sounds better to me.

Are you familiar at all with either of these? Although they both claim to be airport hotels, they aren't super close to one another. Is Marriott the better choice? Ideally in a perfect world, we'd like to self-disembark, get on the Canada line, walk to the hotel, dump our luggage and head back into the city with as much ease as possible. We can take the airport shuttle to the airport the next morning from either hotel.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by sr4mjc

Hi Scott,

We are disembarking the Radiance on Sept 13th. We have an early flight the next morning, we currently have an reservation at the Westin Wall Centre Airport hotel. Our plan was to take the Sky Train to the hotel (or nearby) and leave our bags and head back into the city to meet our inlaws. They are staying a few days and have hotel reservations downtown.

Looking at the Westin site, the "hotel is less than a 10-minute walk from the train station." Knowing we will have luggage, that didn't sound super close. So I called them and they said the Bridgeport station was the closest, a 10 minute walk and tried to push a shuttle company. Hmm, maybe not the best choice. However, we do have Marriott points as well, and their site says they are .1 mile from the Richmond-Brighouse station for the Vancouver Airport Marriott. Ok, that sounds better to me.

Are you familiar at all with either of these? Although they both claim to be airport hotels, they aren't super close to one another. Is Marriott the better choice? Ideally in a perfect world, we'd like to self-disembark, get on the Canada line, walk to the hotel, dump our luggage and head back into the city with as much ease as possible. We can take the airport shuttle to the airport the next morning from either hotel.

Thank you in advance!

Hi there;

I'm not Scott but maybe I can help with your decision a bit.

I live in Richmond and if I had friends coming to stay and their choice was between these two hotels, I'd recommend the Marriott Hotel. It is located in the core of Richmond whereas the Westin is kind of off on it's own with not much to do around it.

The good thing about Richmond is that it is flat so carting luggage isn't a problem and there are no hills to deal with. The Marriott Hotel is located on a corner which also has the Hilton and Sheraton. Across the street is the Richmond Centre Mall and there are a few eatries around the area. The Marriott is closer to the Canada Line then the Westin. One caveat, if you decide to stay at the Marriott make sure you catch a train that is headed to Richmond-Brighouse station and not the YVR Airport train. By doing so, there will be no need for you to transfer at the Bridgeport station.

Hi there;

I'm not Scott but maybe I can help with your decision a bit.

I live in Richmond and if I had friends coming to stay and their choice was between these two hotels, I'd recommend the Marriott Hotel. It is located in the core of Richmond whereas the Westin is kind of off on it's own with not much to do around it.

The good thing about Richmond is that it is flat so carting luggage isn't a problem and there are no hills to deal with. The Marriott Hotel is located on a corner which also has the Hilton and Sheraton. Across the street is the Richmond Centre Mall and there are a few eatries around the area. The Marriott is closer to the Canada Line then the Westin. One caveat, if you decide to stay at the Marriott make sure you catch a train that is headed to Richmond-Brighouse station and not the YVR Airport train. By doing so, there will be no need for you to transfer at the Bridgeport station.

Thank you so much! Looking at the maps I had a feeling this was going to be the better option, but hearing it from a local is always the best! Ah ha, see I didn't realize there was also a Sheraton right there, clearly I had picked the wrong 'airport hotel' of that chain. I will definitely switch hotels. What time would you suggest catching the airport shuttle from the airport for an 8:10 AM flight the next morning?

Edited by sr4mjc

We will be staying at

HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS

RIVERPORT RICHMOND

10688 NO. 6 ROAD

RICHMOND, BC V6W 1E7

Pre-cruise: Is it better for us to take a taxi from here to Canada Place or is the skytrain station convenient to this location?

Post cruise: We thought we would store luggage at Canada Place rather than taking the time to go to the hotel to drop it off before spending the day in Vancouver. We too fly out very early the day after disembarkation. If this hotel is convenient to a train station we may re-consider and take our luggage to the hotel. Any advice re this?

Do taxis in Vancouver/Richmond accept credit cards?

What time would you suggest catching the airport shuttle from the airport for an 8:10 AM flight the next morning?

It depends where you are flying too. If you are flying to another Canadian city you will be leaving from the domestic terminal. I would catch the airport shuttle no later than 6:30am. That allows you time to arrive at the airport, check in and go through security with plenty of time.

If you are flying to a US city, you will need to go through US customs at YVR and be departing from the international terminal. Since you have to take that into consideration and there is always that suggested time, I would say to catch the shuttle no later than 5:30am. Again, allowing you time to arrive, check in, go through security and US customs.

Of course these are just suggested times and I'm the type of traveller who would rather be on the early side rather then running to my gate.

We will be staying at

HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS

RIVERPORT RICHMOND

10688 NO. 6 ROAD

RICHMOND, BC V6W 1E7

Pre-cruise: Is it better for us to take a taxi from here to Canada Place or is the skytrain station convenient to this location?

Post cruise: We thought we would store luggage at Canada Place rather than taking the time to go to the hotel to drop it off before spending the day in Vancouver. We too fly out very early the day after disembarkation. If this hotel is convenient to a train station we may re-consider and take our luggage to the hotel. Any advice re this?

Do taxis in Vancouver/Richmond accept credit cards?

The taxi cost from this particular HIE to Canada Place will run about $50 including tip. You are booked into a Hotel that is not convenient to either the airport or Canada Line. In fact, the only thing close to this hotel is a movie theatre, watermania pool and bowling lanes. If you can cancel your hotel and rebook at one of the closer Holiday Inn's like the Holiday Inn Express Vancouver Airport on Bridgeport, you would be much better off. My first advice would be to change hotels. Sorry for that news. :(

As for the taxis, yes they will accept credit cards.

The taxi cost from this particular HIE to Canada Place will run about $50 including tip. You are booked into a Hotel that is not convenient to either the airport or Canada Line. In fact, the only thing close to this hotel is a movie theatre, watermania pool and bowling lanes. If you can cancel your hotel and rebook at one of the closer Holiday Inn's like the Holiday Inn Express Vancouver Airport on Bridgeport, you would be much better off. My first advice would be to change hotels. Sorry for that news. :(

As for the taxis, yes they will accept credit cards.

Thank you for your response. Changing hotels is not an option. 1 night pre-paid (stupid mistake when I booked it). The other night is a free one. We get in at midnight pre-cruise so no time to kill except before boarding the ship the next day. After the cruise I guess we will leave our luggage at Canada Place, go to Grouse Mountain then take a taxi back to the hotel and fly out early the next a.m.

Edited by SeaTheWorldBySea

Thank you for your response. Changing hotels is not an option. 1 night pre-paid (stupid mistake when I booked it). The other night is a free one. We get in at midnight pre-cruise so no time to kill except before boarding the ship the next day. After the cruise I guess we will leave our luggage at Canada Place, go to Grouse Mountain then take a taxi back to the hotel and fly out early the next a.m.

If you can't change hotels, then you could take a taxi to a Canada Line station and take skytrain the rest of the way to the port. Closest would be Brighouse station.

If you can't change hotels, then you could take a taxi to a Canada Line station and take skytrain the rest of the way to the port. Closest would be Brighouse station.

Thank you Ellen - that sounds like a good plan for getting to the port! If we took the skytrain to Brighouse station after the cruise, would we be able to get a taxi from there to the hotel? Do taxi's queue up at the station or would we need to call one?

Am I right that we can buy tickets from the machine at the stations (Brighouse and the one near Canada Place - is it Waterfront station?) using a credit card?