Anyone on the 'new' Star Princess? How are things?

rkdahl

[quote name='catravelers']Quite a few took the train - you do have to be organized with the schedule. The cruise director gives a presentation on each port for those interested in doing things on their own. His presentations are also shown on the Princess channel on a repeating basis in your cabin. Very, very helpful - and this keeps you away from the shopping stops! I must say that there is much less emphasis on shopping this cruise in comparison to what we heard for the Mediterranean and Alaska. I think Princess has had complaints from passengers regarding the shopping and kickbacks!

We used ATMs in every port - although you have to wait until you reach the main city in some cases. We found that almost every port will take euros and US D - the rate may not be as good. Don't recommend using your ATM card in Russia at all - too much fraud. We ordered a small amount of rubles from our bank before we left. We took the Princess bus in Stockholm and then proceeded on our own. Helsinki and Tallin worked beautifully using Rick Steves directions. Princess does have a currency machine aboard, but there is a $3.50 fee each time you use it and the exchange rate is very poor. Heard some Brits really complaning about the machine! The Princess tours are crowded - next time I will research independent tours in each port - especially Russia where thousands are coming and going at the same time - traffic on weekdays is a mess, even for those on small van tours.[/quote]

Thanks Linda. Did you hear of anyone using the taxi service from the port?
That was one of the other options we were looking at as well as the Princess tour.
It sounds like you did the Princess Stockholm On Your Own tour so how much time did you actually spend in Stockholm from the time they dropped you off till you had to meet the bus and go back to the ship?
Thanks again as this is helpful for us to what's the best option.
Julia

[quote name='Juliadlf']Thanks Linda. Did you hear of anyone using the taxi service from the port?
That was one of the other options we were looking at as well as the Princess tour.
It sounds like you did the Princess Stockholm On Your Own tour so how much time did you actually spend in Stockholm from the time they dropped you off till you had to meet the bus and go back to the ship?
Thanks again as this is helpful for us to what's the best option.
Julia[/quote]

Julia,

We had four + hours to see Stockholm using the Princess bus. I did not talk with anyone who used a taxi, but if you get a group of 4 it is not too expensive. People we know who used the train took the second to the last one, just is case something went wrong! We just felt that is was too much of a hassle and took the Princess bus. They drop you right in the center of things and give you directions regarding the ferry and bus system. Locals were very helpful when we rode the bus as far as stops to use and which bus to take.

Hope you have a great cruise and can spend a day or two in Copenhagen. We really enjoyed the city - it was smaller than I pictured - we were able to walk everywhere. Most hotels are very convenient to the Stroget. Be sure to take a canal ride - early in the day, as it rained in the afternoon!
The residents really enjoy their city and everyone speaks english!

Linda

[quote name='catravelers']Julia,

We had four + hours to see Stockholm using the Princess bus. I did not talk with anyone who used a taxi, but if you get a group of 4 it is not too expensive. People we know who used the train took the second to the last one, just is case something went wrong! We just felt that is was too much of a hassle and took the Princess bus. They drop you right in the center of things and give you directions regarding the ferry and bus system. Locals were very helpful when we rode the bus as far as stops to use and which bus to take.

Hope you have a great cruise and can spend a day or two in Copenhagen. We really enjoyed the city - it was smaller than I pictured - we were able to walk everywhere. Most hotels are very convenient to the Stroget. Be sure to take a canal ride - early in the day, as it rained in the afternoon!
The residents really enjoy their city and everyone speaks english!

Linda[/quote]

Linda:
Again, thanks so much for the information. Very helpful and I'll post this over on our roll call so it will help the others as well.

Julia

Anyone in a Balcony cabin???

Can you please tell me if there is NEW BEDDING? [B]Or[/B] do only the suites get the Duvets etc.??

I am booked for Dec. 9 in a Balcony (7 Day Western Caribbean) and was spoiled by the new bedding on the Diamond in the Mini-Suite.....

.wondering what was the bedding will be like like on the Star ??

Thank you....Renee

[quote name='GottoCruise']Anyone in a Balcony cabin???

Can you please tell me if there is NEW BEDDING? [B]Or[/B] do only the suites get the Duvets etc.??

I am booked for Dec. 9 in a Balcony (7 Day Western Caribbean) and was spoiled by the new bedding on the Diamond in the Mini-Suite.....

.wondering what was the bedding will be like like on the Star ??

Thank you....Renee[/QUOTE]

We had the new bedding in our suite but our friends balcony cabin did not in March, their bedding was the same as the inside cabins. Sorry, no matter what I'm sure you're going to have a wonderful time!

Thanks for the quick reply.........

I'll request an egg-crate for the mattress..........the old mattress' are awful!

Wish Princess would take a lesson from HAL and others and upgrade all the bedding! Not just the suites! It's a shame what they get away with in this regard!

We usually book a Mini and the new bedding is wonderful...

The Dec. 9 cruise is just a little 'fill-in' holiday for us - no need for a mini on a 7-day....

Our Caribe balcony should be fine - we'll just 'suck it up' about the bedding..........as long as we're on a ship! :)

Thanks again! Renee

Linda-Thanks for all the great info. We are going on the Denrus tour in St Petersburg. Was wondering how the independents were handled. Did they have to wait until the official Princess tours left or what? I hate it when Princess does not have their act together organizing the tour process. Have you posted a longer review of the other ports yet? Thanks for help--we sail on July 4th. Can't wait! Dottie:) :) :)

[quote name='judyzoo']The new balcony furniture sounds like the furniture on Enchantment of the Seas. If so, it's soooooooo much nicer than plastic, and very comfortable.[/QUOTE]
We just moved our booking to the Star and are wondering about the new balcony furniture...is there any information on it?

Archived