Anyone on the 'new' Star Princess? How are things?

rkdahl

As I am employed by a major US corporation, I don’t doubt that is true and I think from a corporate standpoint, it is the right thing to do, especially when the corporation has a great many multi-national, global employees. All corporate entities understand that selling a product is dangerous in that there is a tendency for users of that product to sue at the drop of a hat. It would be a sign of poor business practices not to pass policies, processes and procedures through a legal team.

I guess I don’t understand the point of mentioning this if it wasn’t to imply there was some effort on Princess’ part of subterfuge. Kudos to the cruise line for taking such action to protect the ability to continue to deliver the product we all take so much for granted.

Not quite sure what I've ever done to you to make it that every time I mention anything that could be taken in any way as negative you quickly cut and paste my post and then give an opinon.

I just posted something that I was told, plain and simple. Sorry if it seemd to others that I was implying anything, I wasn't and I quickly stated that after the fact. I wrote that the staff wasn't back because that is was the story implied that everyone was discussing, it wasn't an some kind of scheme on my part!

I don't take the product for granted, can't do that when it's a product that I pay for and at times pay for dearly.

Not quite sure what I've ever done to you to make it that every time I mention anything that could be taken in any way as negative you quickly cut and paste my post and then give an opinon.

I just posted something that I was told, plain and simple. Sorry if it seemd to others that I was implying anything, I wasn't and I quickly stated that after the fact. I wrote that the staff wasn't back because that is was the story implied that everyone was discussing, it wasn't an some kind of scheme on my part!

I don't take the product for granted, can't do that when it's a product that I pay for and at times pay for dearly.

You’ve never done anything to me – I just thought your post needed some clarification, that’s all – I don’t question posts because someone has “done something to me.” I guess I don’t understand what is wrong with discussing a post.

Thanks for telling us what attorneys who handle cases against cruise lines are conveying to you. That is certainly interesting information.

rkdahl - So glad you started this thread. I have been so curious to know how it was going aboard the Star. I was booked for a sailing 3 weeks after the fire so didn't get the chance to sail on the Star. Hoping to use my credit to book something soon. I did get to go on a cruise though, the Costa Magica to Bermuda/Bahamas. We had a great time but won't be sailing Costa again. Nothing horrible, just not as great as the other lines we have been on. The Magica is beautiful and very well maintained but the food was bland and boring.

Great news that the posts from current Star cruisers are positive. Wishing you all a great trip!

Hello everyone. There seems to be a lot of discussion about what happened to the crew the past 7 weeks or so. During the Captain's welcome speech yesterday evening, he said that of the 1063 crew on board, 913 were here March 23. He said 600 had been sent home after the fire and 500 chose to return. Doesn't sound like they were all dispersed. Also, there are 2555 passengers, don't know how many would be on a full sailing. The deck furniture has been changed - it is a metal frame with a sort of canvas sitting area. The table seems the same - a frosted glass top, but perhaps the frame is different, I don't know. The blue rubber flooring is still there. And we did check out the sprinkler system above our balcony door this morning.

OK, off to bed. Helsinki tomorrow. Having a wonderful cruise so far!

CJSKIDS predictably has chosen to keep the pot stirred since the fire BDJAM predictably has chosen to defend PC and the STAR is sailing as/when precicted by Princess.... Gee its nice to be back to normal! Hope all aboard have a wonderful cruise.. Bet more than a few will have to take an extra day to unwind from the precruise jitters!

CJSKIDS predictably has chosen to keep the pot stirred since the fire BDJAM predictably has chosen to defend PC and the STAR is sailing as/when precicted by Princess.... Gee its nice to be back to normal! Hope all aboard have a wonderful cruise.. Bet more than a few will have to take an extra day to unwind from the precruise jitters!

Thanks for keeping score. :rolleyes:

Hello everyone. There seems to be a lot of discussion about what happened to the crew the past 7 weeks or so. During the Captain's welcome speech yesterday evening, he said that of the 1063 crew on board, 913 were here March 23. He said 600 had been sent home after the fire and 500 chose to return. Doesn't sound like they were all dispersed. Also, there are 2555 passengers, don't know how many would be on a full sailing. The deck furniture has been changed - it is a metal frame with a sort of canvas sitting area. The table seems the same - a frosted glass top, but perhaps the frame is different, I don't know. The blue rubber flooring is still there. And we did check out the sprinkler system above our balcony door this morning.

Thanks for the information. Sounds like the furniture is an improvement and may be more comfortable than the plastic stuff that used to be there. Do you know if they replaced the teak wood furniture in the suites?

I'm glad to hear that the crew has returned. I'm sure they returned with a bit of trepidation since they also had been through a harrowing experience. I would love to know what happened to our cabin steward, he was such a nice guy.

How is the weather and the seas been treating you? Hope you enjoy Helsinki tomorrow!

cjskids: Everyone on the board knows you had a very tragic event happen. But pleeeeeeeeease let it go and move on.

PTC

WOW! Really unnecessary comment!

Thank you Star passengers for posting. Glad to hear that so many of the crew are back. I'm wondering if Pietro and Fausto are back in the Capri dining room. I will always remember how caring they were to the passengers after the fire.... any news.

We left St. Petersburg today. Rain for one day and overcast the next. We have anytime seating and have enjoyed meeting different people every night. We are two, so we have been seated fairly quickly each night. Spoke with a few who are in new cabins - the only smell people mention is the smell of new carpets.

Princess tours for St. Pete's got off to a very unorganized start. The ship was late in arriving, so everyting was pushed back over an hour. The staff was not prepared to handle this delay. I felt that the official staff should have been visible, orgainzing lines and seating in the Princess Theater. After all, this is not the first time they have been in St. Pete's. You had a hard time finding anyone and no announcements were made updating the 2000 people trying to get off the ship and clear customs. Lines snaked around deck 7 and confused passengers traveled from place to place. They had 3 Princess people working in the theater and they were overwhelmed. Many of the passengers felt the same about this port and the way the tours were handled. An area that requires definite improvement for the next run on 5-25!

Since this is the first of the Baltic runs and a new crew is working together, there is a certain sense of disorganization as everyone gets their bearings and falls into a routine. The dining room/cabin service has been very good.

We will post a port-by-port review when we return. If anyone has specific questions for the 5-25 cruise, let us know and we will try to answer your questions. The coffee is still terrible for those of you who are interested!!!

The entertainment has been good, although we have not attended every night. Princess has added (new since our last cruise) very informative presentations about independent travel in each port. I guess they realize that not everyone wants the group "cattle call" in each port! We handled Stockholm and Helsinki on our own and had a wonderful time. Met some CC members each time! We also enjoyed our CC meeting on our first day at sea.

For those sailing 5-25 you should have a wonderful cruise.

The deck furniture has been changed - it is a metal frame with a sort of canvas sitting area. The table seems the same - a frosted glass top, but perhaps the frame is different, I don't know.

The new balcony furniture sounds like the furniture on Enchantment of the Seas. If so, it's soooooooo much nicer than plastic, and very comfortable.

catravelers:
Sorry to hear St.Petersburg had some delays with your Princess tours.
How was it going to/from Stockholm? We are looking at doing the train so curious as to whether any issues with doing that.

Hope the rest of your trip is great and can't wait to read your reviews.

Julia

Catravelers

My wife Kim and I will be on the 5/25 cruise. Thanks for sharing your information. Any other tips you have are appreciated. We are also wondering if you have any information about the train from Nynashamn to Stockholm. Also, how available are ATM's to withdraw local currency?

Best Wishes

Dwitt

FAUSTO, FAUSTO - He is terrific. As he carried my luggage off the Diamond last Saturday (13 May, 2-day Coastal repositioning cruise), I asked him what he does in real life. His reply: "I'm was a Giggilo, but now I am Manager of the Dining Room." ;)

[quote name='kiberkid']What time is the early seating? Just wondering if we will miss dinner on any nights when we come back from excursions..cause those are the nights we can have room service etc..[/quote]

First sitting is 5:45pm - you are right, rushed getting back from many tours.
Second is 8pm.

You can go up to Horizon Court for a great meal if you are too late returning.

ENJOY :)

[quote name='dwitt'] Also, how available are ATM's to withdraw local currency?

There are ATMs available to get local currency. There is also a machine on the ship.
Credit cards are widely accepted.

Enjoy your cruise :)

[quote name='Crown Prince']FAUSTO, FAUSTO - He is terrific. As he carried my luggage off the Diamond last Saturday (13 May, 2-day Coastal repositioning cruise), I asked him what he does in real life. His reply: "I'm was a Giggilo, but now I am Manager of the Dining Room." ;)[/quote]

GO Fausto!!! I thought he was a teacher of Italian.... at least we had daily Italian lessons on our cruise. I am so glad that he is still with Princess and has a new hope, any Diamond Cruises out there, just enjoy the service!!!

[quote name='sunprincess']First sitting is 5:45pm - you are right, rushed getting back from many tours.
Second is 8pm.

You can go up to Horizon Court for a great meal if you are too late returning.

ENJOY :)[/quote]

Thank you very much for the info. I would have preferred "anytime dining" but my parents wanted the early seating. No worries.. we will make it work... heck we are on vacation.... any time is a good time!!

[quote name='Juliadlf']catravelers:
Sorry to hear St.Petersburg had some delays with your Princess tours.
How was it going to/from Stockholm? We are looking at doing the train so curious as to whether any issues with doing that.

Hope the rest of your trip is great and can't wait to read your reviews.

Julia[/quote]

Quite a few took the train - you do have to be organized with the schedule. The cruise director gives a presentation on each port for those interested in doing things on their own. His presentations are also shown on the Princess channel on a repeating basis in your cabin. Very, very helpful - and this keeps you away from the shopping stops! I must say that there is much less emphasis on shopping this cruise in comparison to what we heard for the Mediterranean and Alaska. I think Princess has had complaints from passengers regarding the shopping and kickbacks!

We used ATMs in every port - although you have to wait until you reach the main city in some cases. We found that almost every port will take euros and US D - the rate may not be as good. Don't recommend using your ATM card in Russia at all - too much fraud. We ordered a small amount of rubles from our bank before we left. We took the Princess bus in Stockholm and then proceeded on our own. Helsinki and Tallin worked beautifully using Rick Steves directions. Princess does have a currency machine aboard, but there is a $3.50 fee each time you use it and the exchange rate is very poor. Heard some Brits really complaning about the machine! The Princess tours are crowded - next time I will research independent tours in each port - especially Russia where thousands are coming and going at the same time - traffic on weekdays is a mess, even for those on small van tours.

Archived