Been off the ship since Sat. Still Dizzy

luvgreys

What is up? I still feel like I am on the Glory. The water was fairly calm while we were at sea, but I still feel like am on a rocking boat. I have ear problems could that do it? Last year when I got off the COnquest, I was fine after one day.

After each cruise I feel like I am still on the ship for a few days. Some people aren't affected at all, and for some it lasts longer. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it lasts too long or gets in the way of your every day activites you could probably call your Dr to see if there if your ears are the problem.

This may seem odd, but I don't mind it all that much. It's a constant reminder that I was on a ship mere days ago. And, all too soon, it passes, and I'm back to planning the next one, and counting the days until I'll be aboard again!

I have inner ear problems as well, and depending upon the cruise, it can make me feel dizzy for days after.

My doctor had me use Bonine (brand name for meclizine) AFTER the cruise; even though I don't use it ON the cruise (don't get seasick on large ships). That combined with my usual allergy antihistimines/decongestant and a steroid nasal spray helped to clear up my ears and made the world stop spinning.

Hopefully you will feel much better soon! :)

I've gone from feeling nothing, to feeling it for a week. For me, it always depends on how "rough" the last day at sea it.

And it's worse in the shower and long halls. :eek:

I know! I am a teacher, and the halls are really long!

I will try the bonine, with the Zyrtec that I take for allergies.

Thanks Ella2

I have never had ear problems but I have been off the Inspiration for three weeks and I still get in long halls and also when i hear running water. I dont think it helped much since it rained for a full week and flooded here in NH.

Cheryl

It can also be caused by problems in the inner ear. If it continues, definitely call your doctor. There are meds they can give you to help you feel better.

I had the inner ear thing 2 months before a cruise and it took weeks to finally go away. The meds really helped. After the cruise, I reallydidn't have any problems (I was really concerned).

DH had ear problems before and after our cruise last year, he rocked and rolled for about a week after our cruise. I enjoyed the little reminder of where I was a few days before.:p

Ditto. I really kinda liked the feeling of still being on the ship. Every time it hit me it brought a big smile to my face. People would ask me what was up and I would just say. "I'm still cruising" Everyone who had never cruised would look at me like I was nuts, but those who have sailed before would smile and nod their head. :D

Mal de Debarquement Syndrome (MDD or MdDS)

Timothy C. Hain, MD

Please read our disclaimer buttonb.gifReturn to Index. buttonb.gifSpanish version buttonb.gifPage last modified: February 6, 2006

cruise-ship.jpg

Mal de Debarquement or "MDD" is a type of vertigo and imbalance that occurs after getting off of a boat. The usual situation is that of a person who has gone on a cruise. Most individuals with this diagnosis are women between the ages of 40 and 50 who go on a 7-day cruise. After getting off the boat, or "debarking" (debarquement), they develop a rocking sensation, as if they are still on the boat. The rocking sensation may persist for months or even years ! Most people seem to have it for a month or less though -- our study largely recruited people with longer duration symptoms, 3.5 years was the mean (Hain et al, 1999)

After I returned from a cruise in Fort Lauderdale, we went out for dinner that night and I felt like I was still on the ship at the table (Felt rocking and moving, yet wondered why the water in my glass wasn't moving):)

Timothy C. Hain, MD

Please read our disclaimer buttonb.gifReturn to Index. buttonb.gifSpanish version buttonb.gifPage last modified: February 6, 2006

cruise-ship.jpg

Mal de Debarquement or "MDD" is a type of vertigo and imbalance that occurs after getting off of a boat. The usual situation is that of a person who has gone on a cruise. Most individuals with this diagnosis are women between the ages of 40 and 50 who go on a 7-day cruise. After getting off the boat, or "debarking" (debarquement), they develop a rocking sensation, as if they are still on the boat. The rocking sensation may persist for months or even years ! Most people seem to have it for a month or less though -- our study largely recruited people with longer duration symptoms, 3.5 years was the mean (Hain et al, 1999)

Thanks for the info. I am 29, and in good shape, just some ear issues. But the results of the research are depressing.:( I have been on three cruises, but if this feeling does not go away, I may not cruise again. The only time I have relief, is when I go for a run, or lie down.

Mine lasted just over a week when I got off the Miracle.... it became a big joke at home and at work ... I wasn't walking straight and I would sway at my desk...LOL.....

I wouldn't have cared if it lasted a month, it wouldn't stop me from my next cruise:o

P.S. I'm 41 and female.....LOL

Your welcome luvgreys, I hope you can find a way to get back on a ship. I would hate it of I could not cruise again. Keep doing more research. I am actully going to talk to my accupuncturist about this. Maybe he has an idea.

Timothy C. Hain, MD

cruise-ship.jpg

I've had this for four years now, and at first I thought I would go nuts, but now it just is part of my life. I do notice it more after I get off a ship for a week or so, but then it sort of settles down and all I feel is a little vertigo and lightness when I walk. I would NEVER let it stop me from cruising. Just go with the flow. :D

Cheers~

Nicki

Last year I was on an eight day repo cruise with only two port days. I had the feeling of still being on the boat for over a week after the cruise. It didn't really bother me, I didn't feel sick or anything, just more of annoyance.

I just got back from a cruise a couple of weeks ago and I didn't have the feeling at all. But the ocean was very calm and we had four port days.

Archived