Playa Uvas

rscima

My daughter and I were at Uvas Beach last week when in Cozumel on the Grand Princess. We booked the 'Beach Day' directly through Uvas rather than going through the ship excursion. It was a good deal and very easy to get to via taxi. They were very efficient and immediately had us join a group that was clear kayaking.

I think they were very busy that day' date=' because I felt a little rushed and had a tough time keeping up with the large group. Didn't see many fish as I was busy trying to coordinate the steering with my daughter. Admittedly, I'm not the most atheletic person, but I did find it a bit challenging. Getting out of the kayak, I smashed my toe on a rock, as the waves were pretty strong and the area is very rocky. I know, I sound like a real klutz! After that, we got geared up for snorkeling then walked down the beach to the starting point. No one explained that we'd be walking such a distance and I had nothing on my feet. With the smashed toe and the rocky beach, it was a struggle. Again, we started off behind everyone. I thought they did a nice job explaining the equipment and a reallly terrific job of keeping the large group together through the snorkeling and of showing us some great underwater sites.

The lunch (chicken fajitas) was excellent and the drinks were plentiful. I was a little nervous about eating/drinking because I ALWAYS get sick in Mexico, but I did not get sick! The beach was lovely and quiet and my daughter loved exploring and finding lovely shells.

Overall, I would do it again. Thought it was very clean, the staff was friendly, and the food was great - overall an excellent way to spend the day, beautiful and very relaxing. Other people I talked to who went to other beaches seemed disappointed by the crowds.

Hope that helps.[/quote']

Glad you had a good time :) I am a klutz too and would find the kayaks more work that I want to do LOL>> I am more into relaxing on the beach and want to try real mexican food!

Avoiding crowds is a huge factor for me too : I don't like the sardines on the beach effect. Thanks for a good review

I LOVE the food there! We had the chicken fajitas and they were really good, especially served with warm fresh tortillas. Good beans and rice, and the quacamole was so good we ordered another bowl to go with the yummy fresh chips. And I'm from Southern California where I have great access to plenty of terrific authentic "hole-in-the-wall" Mexican eatieres, so I'm pretty picky about authentic food. The food at Playa Uvas is the real deal.:)

Thanks Stircrzy! I definitely didn't want to go off-topic from this thread, because it has great specificity for Playa Uvas. But your thoughts on PU and Cozumel in general are much appreciated!

Thanks to others for your suggestions - although I have actually already done your recommendations! I did start a new thread asking for comparisons - it only received one response. Also, I have poured through the Playa Uvas, Paradise Beach, and Nachi Cocum threads at length (reading the entire threads) - all were incredibly useful, as you can imagine! Yet when it comes down to it, I was hoping to get some insight from folks who have tried a few different clubs to see their comparisons. I like to be thorough... what can I say?!

And so, I'll keep doing my research - only about a month to go! Happy cruising :).

So' date=' StirCrazy, just when is your next trip? We love your reviews! :D[/quote']

I have one scheduled (May) and then I'll be Platinum status on Carnival by my birthday... when I plan to do a 7 nighter on the Conquest to celebrate.

Since I moved last summer and have taken on rescue animals, it's getting harder to take off on a cruise...even the 4 nighters!

thank you for your great reviews stircrzy.

I do think you deserve at least a free birthday at uvas LOL. (Hint Hint). I know you played a major part in many cruisecritic members, as well as your own family and friends' decision to visit uvas.

thank you for your great reviews stircrzy.

I do think you deserve at least a free birthday at uvas LOL. (Hint Hint). I know you played a major part in many cruisecritic members, as well as your own family and friends' decision to visit uvas.

I only gave my personal experience at Playa Uvas!

...and I hope that anyone who visited on my recommendation had as good a time as I did.

I'm anxious to go back to try the new veggie options on the menu:

Vegeterian Guests

All of our food is created with plant oils...no lard.

We can further accommodate vegetarian guests with:

VP-A
A plate of steamed veggies, brown and wild rice, our famous guacamole,

with fresh fruit.

VP-B
"Carrot Tacos with Fresco Cheese" a blend of shredded carrots and

cottage cheese, lightly fried in olive oil, served with green sauce and crumbled

fresco cheese. Taste incredible!

One of these two options in place of the choices included with our beachpass lunch.

Hi all, this thread has been very informative. I've been to Cozumel quite a few times but never heard of Playa Uvas. I think we're going to stay the day here for our cruise in May. Do have a question, is it required that you have a ressie or can you just show up? Thanks!

Hi all, this thread has been very informative. I've been to Cozumel quite a few times but never heard of Playa Uvas. I think we're going to stay the day here for our cruise in May. Do have a question, is it required that you have a ressie or can you just show up? Thanks!

I don't know the answer but just wanted to say hello to Brown Eyes! :)

Hola

Reservations are recommended, but we do take walk-ins when we have available space. Please feel free to stop in when you're on the Island!

One of the great things about resies, is they're expecting you and as soon as you arrive, Carmen and the staff great you like you're visiting royalty and then spend the rest of the day checking to be sure you are having a wonderful time and to see if there's anything more you may require from them. All for the cost of a modestly-priced beach and/or activity pass. One of the best bargains I've encountered. :D

I would recommend to everyone to wear water shoes at any beach.

I would definitely agree with the recommendation on water shoes. I actually brought water shoes on the trip, just forgot them that day. Would have made the activities much more managable!

Has anyone done the 3-reef snorkel tour from Playa Uvas? What time did it leave? How long did it last?

I think this is a relatively new excursion for Playa Uvas. I don't think any of us have done that one yet. Sorry we can't help you on the information...

but EDUARDO < click to email! > can! Just email him and he'll help you.

I think this is a relatively new excursion for Playa Uvas. I don't think any of us have done that one yet. Sorry we can't help you on the information...

but EDUARDO < click to email! > can! Just email him and he'll help you.

I agree, I haven't done that one yet! But if you do e-mail Eduardo, please give us the info!

Thanks!