Playa Uvas

rscima

Would my 5 year old enjoy Playa Uvas? I know my DH and DS13 will love the snorkeling. Is the water warm enough to wade around in? How deep is the pool? Thank you for any help you can give this first timer.

My personal opinion? I wouldn't bring a 5 year old there. The shoreline is very rocky. There is nothing to play with, nothing for a kid to do. It's very quiet and low-key. The pool is not central to the activity, the water in the pool was soooo cold (the beach water was nice and warm). The pool seems like an afterthought.

I loooove Uvas and recommend it very highly but not for someone that age.

I'm with some other friends and we are going to decide what to do on the ship so I'm wondering if Uvas fills up and then doesn't allow more people in. My other question is do they have a full menu and how are the prices for food and drink if you don't do the all inclusive? Not sure if our group wants to be limited to the chicken Fajitas.

I'm with some other friends and we are going to decide what to do on the ship so I'm wondering if Uvas fills up and then doesn't allow more people in. My other question is do they have a full menu and how are the prices for food and drink if you don't do the all inclusive? Not sure if our group wants to be limited to the chicken Fajitas.

According to my confirmation from last year:

• Chicken or beef fajitas or fish filet plate per adult. One club sandwich or hamburger per child
  • Open bar (domestic coke, sprite, juice, water bottle, beer, rum, tequila margaritas, daiquiris etc)

I have been 2 or 3 times!

Eduardo the manager is great!

When everyone is queing up to go on boat tour,,you just go get a cab to Uvas. Food is amazing. I have NEVER gotten sick there.

Tried something new one year..went to Punta Sur dune buggy trip and was sick as a dog for a week after

I had the same question, from the board, got the "yes" answer, after some digging on their website, found the full menu with prices.

I had the same question, from the board, got the "yes" answer, after some digging on their website, found the full menu with prices.

Thanks I went back to the website and like it you said, the menu is there (under the dining menu button) just hard to find.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from play uvas and the western caribbean. It was a fantastic experience. We went diving for the first time at Uvas, the instructor was awesome, it was probably the best time I had during my entire vacation.

Our wives hung out on the beach for most of the morning drinking and relaxing untill they got antzy and decided to go shopping.

Oh and the fish tacos were execellent.. probably my 2nd most favorite meal of the entire week next to this turtle burger I had in Caymen. We all had an excellent time and would stay again.

Shawn

Does anyone know if the kayaks are still rentable through Playa Uvas or do we have to go through the ship excrusions to book it?

I emailed them a few weeks ago and asked about kayaks. They replied that they no longer have the kayaks available. We really wanted to kayak and snorkel so we have decided to go to the Money Bar instead. They do have kayaks there.

I emailed them a few weeks ago and asked about kayaks. They replied that they no longer have the kayaks available. We really wanted to kayak and snorkel so we have decided to go to the Money Bar instead. They do have kayaks there.

We were at Uvas last week and I could have sworn I saw the kayaks there? Overall, the experience there wasn't all that great. We got there and the marine park was closed for the first couple of hours due to some high winds and choppy seas, no problem, no one can control the weather. They actually charged me a little less since I had originally reserved the package witht the snorkeling tour. I was told if the park opened they would come get us and take us on the snorkeling tour, which they never did. The beach itself was not that nice, VERY rocky and loaded with sea grass all over the place. Usually people rake the beaches, but not that day. We were the ONLY two people there for the first two hours and only one other small group of 5 or 6 showed up after us. I always had to get up to go to the bar and looked over and saw our server sleeping in the hammock. The drinks were extremely weak, but once I asked the bartender to make them strong he put some alcohol in them. One point in time I went over to check the pool temperature, which is tiny by the way, and found three of the employees sleeping in chairs next to the pool. The food that came with our package was ok, but very small portions. All in all, I enjoyed myself just do to the fact that I was in Mexico on a beach and not in the office, but I would definitaly not go there again. Even the taxi driver told me on the way that we would not like it and it was a very ugly beach, guess I should have listened to him.

• 2 weeks later...
We were at Uvas last week and I could have sworn I saw the kayaks there? Overall, the experience there wasn't all that great. We got there and the marine park was closed for the first couple of hours due to some high winds and choppy seas, no problem, no one can control the weather. They actually charged me a little less since I had originally reserved the package witht the snorkeling tour. I was told if the park opened they would come get us and take us on the snorkeling tour, which they never did. The beach itself was not that nice, VERY rocky and loaded with sea grass all over the place. Usually people rake the beaches, but not that day. We were the ONLY two people there for the first two hours and only one other small group of 5 or 6 showed up after us. I always had to get up to go to the bar and looked over and saw our server sleeping in the hammock. The drinks were extremely weak, but once I asked the bartender to make them strong he put some alcohol in them. One point in time I went over to check the pool temperature, which is tiny by the way, and found three of the employees sleeping in chairs next to the pool. The food that came with our package was ok, but very small portions. All in all, I enjoyed myself just do to the fact that I was in Mexico on a beach and not in the office, but I would definitaly not go there again. Even the taxi driver told me on the way that we would not like it and it was a very ugly beach, guess I should have listened to him.

So sorry that you had a bad experience there. It is very unusual to have read that their employees were sleeping....did you take a photo of them sleeping?? If you did, I would recommend that you shoot one over to Eduardo. He would love to hear from you. I am rather shocked that their food portions were small. I love their food there they have the best fajitas I have tasted so far in mexico. I had my wedding there and I have enjoyed all 4x time that I have been there. They have excellent service.

So sorry that you had a bad experience there. It is very unusual to have read that their employees were sleeping....did you take a photo of them sleeping?? If you did, I would recommend that you shoot one over to Eduardo. He would love to hear from you. I am rather shocked that their food portions were small. I love their food there they have the best fajitas I have tasted so far in mexico. I had my wedding there and I have enjoyed all 4x time that I have been there. They have excellent service.

I took plenty of pics, but none of the staff sleeping. If it wasn't for the fact that I am 100% sure I was at Playa Uvas, I would think I was at the wrong place after reading all the positive reviews. Maybe it was just an off day? The fish fajitas we had were small portions and consisted of just the fish and the tortillas, with a little bit of beans and rice on the side. There were none of the usual items that come with fajitas, lettuce, sour cream, cheese, not even any salsa until I asked for some.

My wife and I would like to spend a quiet beach day on our cruise in June. Uvas gets good reviews and all we want is the beach, chair and access to the water (no snorkeling neded). We don't intend to eat and don't need more than a drink or two. I assume then that the basic $7 fee is all that is charged?

I will be at Playa Uvas next week and will be happy to report my experience w/several pics!!

So exciting!!! I can't wait!! :D:D

Laura - I hope you have a wonderful cruise. I can't wait to read about your day at Playa Uvas and see the pictures. I'm having such a difficult time deciding where to take our group. We have ages 15-75, so I'm looking for something that will make everyone happy. Will you please check and see if they do or don't have the kayaks?

Thanks!

spalmer114 -- I agree with you!!!! We were there in early February and did not have the magical experience I keep reading about here. I thought the place was very small, and did not feel like a resort or beach club at all. The beach was unimpressive, and getting into the water was an adventure in itself since there is a wall of slippery rocks and coral between you and the water.

I was thinking there might be another place with a similar name that was the one I was reading about on this board, but after seeing photos, I know I was at the same place.

I was especially frustrated by my day there because I had planned to go to chankanaab park but couldn't find a cab at the port to take just the two of us there....they were all insisting on at least 5 people to go to one place! We tried for over an hour and finally gave up and got into a cab with 4 people who were having trouble getting a cab like we did.

Laura - I hope you have a wonderful cruise. I can't wait to read about your day at Playa Uvas and see the pictures. I'm having such a difficult time deciding where to take our group. We have ages 15-75, so I'm looking for something that will make everyone happy. Will you please check and see if they do or don't have the kayaks?

Thanks!

I will certainly post my review on here upon my return... You can find several Playa Uvas reviews on facebook. Just do a search for Playa Uvas and you will come across tons of positive reviews.:D

Just back from a relaxing day at UVAS. We were dissapointed to find that the kayaks were only available if booked through cruise ship excursions. They did not offer the kayaks to us since we booked directly through Uvas (odd?). Throughout the day the cruise ship/excursion groups would arrive at Uvas and get to go out on the kayaks :( We did have unlimited snorkeling (nearshore) which was better than the short time allotted for the excursions :) As other posts have mentioned difficult entry/exit into the water due to the hard coral/rocky shore, but once in a good snorkeling experience. Since we booked the snorkling through Uvas we were given a guided snorkling trip seperate from the excursion groups which provided a more personalized experience with the guide (not sure if this is their usual practice, but a nice touch for our experience). If you are looking for a small/intimate resort experience this is a good option.