Playa Uvas

rscima

• 3 weeks later...

We have been to Playa Uvas in the past, and had already booked for four people to go again in January 2010. I just emailed them because I wanted to book for this November as well and I recieved an email stating that Carnival Cruiseline and the Playa Uvas beach operators are in "politics" and that no reservations or packages are being taken or offered at this time. They are trying to compile new excursions, but I wrote an email tonight complaining and expecting my reservation to be honored. I will let you know the response that I get, but I assume they are not emailing anyone back at this time due to the fact that they are not taking reservations for this reason.

I expect that the cruiselines are trying to take over this and other beach excursions so that they can only be booked through them exclusively. As a witness to what the cruiseline offers compared to what they offer on the website, I would NEVER book through the cruiseline.

We booked the kayak, lunch and unlimited drinks for $45 pp and when we got there we ended up getting to kayak, snorkel and swim, a full plate of food that we each couldnt finish and enough drinks to last for a week (lol) it was AMAZING there, water so blue and clear and we had the BEST time. Then we saw some cruise ship passengers come there and they got 1 free bottle of water, 1 drink ticket, NO food, and as soon as they were done with the kayak tour and snorkel, they had to leave for about $90 per person. As we got to stay the entire day, arriving before them and leaving just a half hour before having to be back on our ship.

I have been looking forward to this Playa Uvas for the last 6 months and now I dont know what will happen, they said they may be forced to cancel our reservation, but I am doing all I can to keep our reservation to be honored!!!!!! Like I said I will let you all know what happens!

We have been to Playa Uvas in the past, and had already booked for four people to go again in January 2010. I just emailed them because I wanted to book for this November as well and I recieved an email stating that Carnival Cruiseline and the Playa Uvas beach operators are in "politics" and that no reservations or packages are being taken or offered at this time. They are trying to compile new excursions, but I wrote an email tonight complaining and expecting my reservation to be honored. I will let you know the response that I get, but I assume they are not emailing anyone back at this time due to the fact that they are not taking reservations for this reason.

I expect that the cruiselines are trying to take over this and other beach excursions so that they can only be booked through them exclusively. As a witness to what the cruiseline offers compared to what they offer on the website, I would NEVER book through the cruiseline.

We booked the kayak, lunch and unlimited drinks for $45 pp and when we got there we ended up getting to kayak, snorkel and swim, a full plate of food that we each couldnt finish and enough drinks to last for a week (lol) it was AMAZING there, water so blue and clear and we had the BEST time. Then we saw some cruise ship passengers come there and they got 1 free bottle of water, 1 drink ticket, NO food, and as soon as they were done with the kayak tour and snorkel, they had to leave for about $90 per person. As we got to stay the entire day, arriving before them and leaving just a half hour before having to be back on our ship.

I have been looking forward to this Playa Uvas for the last 6 months and now I dont know what will happen, they said they may be forced to cancel our reservation, but I am doing all I can to keep our reservation to be honored!!!!!! Like I said I will let you all know what happens!

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. I really wanted to book my "Discover Scuba" dive through them for February, but I guess I can find another vendor if necessary- which is too bad because I really liked Playa Uvas last time I went.

My bigger fear is that this isn't just isolated to Playa Uvas, and private bookings throughout Cozumel may be in jeopardy.

• 1 month later...
Anyone have any recent info since the other post reporting that Playa Uvas isn't accepting private bookings from cruise customers at the moment? I checked the website and couldn't even get it to load.

The Playa Uvas website is back up and working fine today!

I'm hopeful that this link will work:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=10012&id=100000008393160&l=ba603d5340

These were taken the last week of October 2009 when Eduardo arranged for me and my crew to visit with Professor Benavides and Sandra Dutton and help with the turtle nesting.

After our wonderful day at Punta Sur with the Professor, we stopped by Playa Uvas for lunch before our return to the Ecstasy. We have visited Playa Uvas about 10+ times since March of 2005, so are very familiar with Playa Uvas. We found the place in wonderful shape, grass was green and landscaping in perfect order. We (myself, my friend, my brother and sis-in-law, and my sister and her husband) spent the remainder of the afternoon lazing around Playa Uvas, instead of shopping downtown as was our original plan after lunch at Playa Uvas.

The food was superb! Probably the BEST we've ever had there. We were very impressed with the food in the past, but had no idea it could get even better. I don't drink alcohol, so can't speak to that other than to say that the others thought the margaritas were the best they had during our trip!

Photos of some of the gargantuan amount of food we consumed are posted at the above link, at the end of the album.

Enjoy the little baby turtle photo! He wasn't ready to return to the sea, so we re-planted him into his nest. Wish I could have stayed another week so that I could have gotten in on his return...

I can still highly recommend Playa Uvas. It's not as big as some of the beach clubs, not as loud, and there aren't as many children. I'd call it a bit more Euro, and perhaps a bit more upscale. The lounge area by the fresh water pool is very nice for sitting and relaxing out of the sun. The loungers on the beach are very nice and sturdy. Service is superb, and the food is quite plentiful and tasty.

These were taken the last week of October 2009 when Eduardo arranged for me and my crew to visit with Professor Benavides and Sandra Dutton and help with the turtle nesting.

After our wonderful day at Punta Sur with the Professor, we stopped by Playa Uvas for lunch before our return to the Ecstasy. We have visited Playa Uvas about 10+ times since March of 2005, so are very familiar with Playa Uvas. We found the place in wonderful shape, grass was green and landscaping in perfect order. We (myself, my friend, my brother and sis-in-law, and my sister and her husband) spent the remainder of the afternoon lazing around Playa Uvas, instead of shopping downtown as was our original plan after lunch at Playa Uvas.

The food was superb! Probably the BEST we've ever had there. We were very impressed with the food in the past, but had no idea it could get even better. I don't drink alcohol, so can't speak to that other than to say that the others thought the margaritas were the best they had during our trip!

Photos of some of the gargantuan amount of food we consumed are posted at the above link, at the end of the album.

Enjoy the little baby turtle photo! He wasn't ready to return to the sea, so we re-planted him into his nest. Wish I could have stayed another week so that I could have gotten in on his return...

I can still highly recommend Playa Uvas. It's not as big as some of the beach clubs, not as loud, and there aren't as many children. I'd call it a bit more Euro, and perhaps a bit more upscale. The lounge area by the fresh water pool is very nice for sitting and relaxing out of the sun. The loungers on the beach are very nice and sturdy. Service is superb, and the food is quite plentiful and tasty.

I agree with your post about Uvas, but would also add they serve topshelf liquor on their open bar... great place to relax in or out of the sun!! we are so looling forward to being back with Carmen and Eduardo in March!!! we have always been treated like friends, not just customers....

Edited by oldmedic

Enjoyed looking at your pics!! It's been awhile since I last seen you on here.

I hope all is good and it's good to know that Uvas is up and running smoothly!!!:D

I would like to visit Playa Uvas...but can't get a reponse from them.

I filled out the online form requesting information...no response.

I emailed Eduardo at one email on the site....no response.

I emailed Eduardo at a gmail account he has also listed on the site...no response.

I called the number on the site. It was a cell phone number with some spanish messsage.

I'm about to give up on this place since I can't get any information.

I'm a diver and my husband isn't so I wanted to get information on the best way to go for him to learn and then us dive together.

i recieved an email from them earlier this week, and their website is back up and running, try again.... it will be worth the effort!!!

Enjoyed looking at your pics!! It's been awhile since I last seen you on here.

I hope all is good and it's good to know that Uvas is up and running smoothly!!!:D

we are back from the fabolos cruise that we too, my D.H and me, and you know what? we arrived just in time for my daughter's wedding, the wedding was fantastaic, the flowers, soh god, they were just amazing, the cake with so many elaborate decorations out of this world everything worked beautiful i want to share my divine experiences that i had in UVAS and the glass fussion of Sole we followed strictly eduardo's instructions that he send us in our reservation sheet via e. mail i've never been to cosumel, and how surprised i was about how beautiful and big the island is. it only took us 15 minutes to get to UVAS in a taxi and there was carmen, so kind and really like a miracle she knew each of us by our names. our reservations was for michael my dh to take the snorkel tour, but me always lazy only took the lunch and the open bar option, margaritas mmmm still can taste the flavor. they were wonderful and its so easy with the open bar option nobody is counting how many margaritas i had, by the way quite a few but dont tel anybody, because my dh was snorkeling i went to see all the things they have in Sole and found beautiful merchandise sorry but couldn't resiste and bought 2 ashtrays, earrings, and collars, one of the ashtrays is going for my dh as a christmas present and the rest think i'll keep them all because i don't know i'll be able to return to UVAS so i bought and bought everything is so cheap and really nice. the girl that was in charge of me let me tried everything i like and hope my memory works, think her name is Keela, odd name dont you think? really hope one day macy's emplyees were as efficient as she is besides the jewelry that i bought my day in UVAS went flying and smoothlly, food delicious, the open bar kept coming and coming we were lucky that our waiter was Kilo, what name is that? he was very attentive with us he earned a good tip from us, he treated us like royalty. My only recomentation???? please go to UVAS, you'll never be sorry. if you have any questions about the jewelry from Sole, prices, quality, whatever, feel free to ask me any question that you might have MISSYFUS

we are back from the fabolos cruise that we too, my D.H and me, and you know what? we arrived just in time for my daughter's wedding, the wedding was fantastaic, the flowers, soh god, they were just amazing, the cake with so many elaborate decorations out of this world everything worked beautiful i want to share my divine experiences that i had in UVAS and the glass fussion of Sole we followed strictly eduardo's instructions that he send us in our reservation sheet via e. mail i've never been to cosumel, and how surprised i was about how beautiful and big the island is. it only took us 15 minutes to get to UVAS in a taxi and there was carmen, so kind and really like a miracle she knew each of us by our names. our reservations was for michael my dh to take the snorkel tour, but me always lazy only took the lunch and the open bar option, margaritas mmmm still can taste the flavor. they were wonderful and its so easy with the open bar option nobody is counting how many margaritas i had, by the way quite a few but dont tel anybody, because my dh was snorkeling i went to see all the things they have in Sole and found beautiful merchandise sorry but couldn't resiste and bought 2 ashtrays, earrings, and collars, one of the ashtrays is going for my dh as a christmas present and the rest think i'll keep them all because i don't know i'll be able to return to UVAS so i bought and bought everything is so cheap and really nice. the girl that was in charge of me let me tried everything i like and hope my memory works, think her name is Keela, odd name dont you think? really hope one day macy's emplyees were as efficient as she is besides the jewelry that i bought my day in UVAS went flying and smoothlly, food delicious, the open bar kept coming and coming we were lucky that our waiter was Kilo, what name is that? he was very attentive with us he earned a good tip from us, he treated us like royalty. My only recomentation???? please go to UVAS, you'll never be sorry. if you have any questions about the jewelry from Sole, prices, quality, whatever, feel free to ask me any question that you might have MISSYFUS

we agree that Uvas is a great place!! it's one of those places you want to keep secret and tell only your friends, but Carmen and Eduardo are such great people!!... we are certainly looking forward to seeing them again in March...

we agree that Uvas is a great place!! it's one of those places you want to keep secret and tell only your friends, but Carmen and Eduardo are such great people!!... we are certainly looking forward to seeing them again in March...

I'm so jealous!! I wish I was there NOW!!! I love Playa Uvas!! it's such a great place to have a relaxing day!!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Missyfu!

I totally agree with you that Uvas is a very ad hoc place to spend the day; I'm happy that you enjojed it - I hope this Christmas was good to you and your family and that New Year willl be even better. I don't know exactly where in the tread I read that Sole can ship via UPS her glass fusion jewelry, and I was thinking of ordering some necklaces & earrings. Secretaries Day is coming up in April and I'd like to surprise my colleagues with these (they're so unique), and for what I've heard, you can only find them at Uvas. Can you tell me about the pieces you bought, and more or less what you paid for them to see if they're in my budget? I'd appreciate it so much, and I hope you're still around! LOL

Artseeker

Thank you for pics. Sounds like you are a Cozumel regular. This will be our first time so all this information is great and I'd appreciate your feedback:

1. How would you compare the sand at Chankanab with Uvas for a just hanging out adn walking on the beach?

2. Do you know more or less the distance/cost from Puerto Maya?

3- Can I just do the clear kayak without paying for food/drinks? It's our first time so we'd rather just kayak. Do you remember the price?

4-We're thinking of maybe renting a car to try to make it to both places?

HAve you ever rented a car in Cozumel, if so can you suggest a company?

Many thanks-

Alex

Thank you for pics. Sounds like you are a Cozumel regular. This will be our first time so all this information is great and I'd appreciate your feedback:

1. How would you compare the sand at Chankanab with Uvas for a just hanging out adn walking on the beach?

3- Can I just do the clear kayak without paying for food/drinks? It's our first time so we'd rather just kayak. Do you remember the price?

Many thanks-

Alex

You can totally do both, since they are maybe a 10 min (max) walk apart. You walk along the side of a dusty road and you can take a cab if you prefer, but the walk really isn't bad.

Many thanks-

Alex

Hi Alex - we're on way back to Cozumel in a week or so for the 16th time so I can answer some of your questions or at least give my opinion.

1. Sand is going to be about the same because, as pointed out, they're next door to one another. However, there's a long stretch of beach between. I would definately choose Uvas over Chankanab for the food, the people and the relaxation factor. Unless you have small children and then I'd have other suggestions.

2. Depends on which cruise line and where you dock but none of them are far. Carnival has the closest dock - Puerto Maya. It's about a $10 cab ride - 10 min. The other docks are not much more.

3. See you already found that out. You can only book kayaks through the cruise lines.

4. DON'T DO IT!! I know so many people that have gotten into trouble in Cozumel renting a car. If you have any type of accident, they take you directly to jail. There have been numerous posts on CC over the years with horror stories of $800+ fines. I have a good friend that barely made his ship after a taxi hit his rental while it was parked. They hauled him to jail....jail first, questions later and the questions are in Spanish. The cruise lines will not help you out if you rent a car and get into trouble so be warned. If you want to see the island, rent a taxi for the day and let them do the driving.

Uvas is great. One of my favorite places on the island for sure. Eduardo - get my fajita's and nachos ready!!!

Hello Missyfu!

I totally agree with you that Uvas is a very ad hoc place to spend the day; I'm happy that you enjojed it - I hope this Christmas was good to you and your family and that New Year willl be even better. I don't know exactly where in the tread I read that Sole can ship via UPS her glass fusion jewelry, and I was thinking of ordering some necklaces & earrings. Secretaries Day is coming up in April and I'd like to surprise my colleagues with these (they're so unique), and for what I've heard, you can only find them at Uvas.

Artseeker - Sol used to have a website and there was a link on the Uvas website. She's in either Cancun or Playa del Carmen now so she's still in the area. You might want to check the website or email Playa Uvas and maybe they can tell you. Her jewelry is great - I have numerous sets and I'm sure I'll buy more in a week. What a nice thought for Administrative Professional's Day! (If I called ours secretaries, they would throw something at me.) :)

If you can't find out anything, post back and I'll ask around when I'm there for you.

4. DON'T DO IT!! I know so many people that have gotten into trouble in Cozumel renting a car. If you have any type of accident, they take you directly to jail. There have been numerous posts on CC over the years with horror stories of $800+ fines. I have a good friend that barely made his ship after a taxi hit his rental while it was parked. They hauled him to jail....jail first, questions later and the questions are in Spanish. The cruise lines will not help you out if you rent a car and get into trouble so be warned. If you want to see the island, rent a taxi for the day and let them do the driving.

Thank you for clarification on Uvas/Chankanab. On the map they're next to each other so I was trying to figure out why someone would pay $16 to get into one when you can get into the other for $7 and you are in the same place when it comes to snorkeling.

We're renting a car on the other islands and Cozumel is the only one I've felt conflicted about, based on my experiences driving in Mexico (particularly bad in Cancun and Puerto Vallarta). Another cc suggested a chepo "open car type" but now I think I'll play this one safe (wouldn't want the ship to leave without us should something happen). A cab to Uvas is probably safer. From what I keep reading about their food we might need to walk back to the ship.

1-I just noticed on a Cozumel web that they have a public bus system, looks good on paper, have you tried it?:confused:

2- I see you've been on tons of trips. Is there any other island you'd put w/ Cozumel in terms of avoiding a rental?

thanks again and enjoy your trip next week

Alex

Hi Alex - never tried the public bus in fact, have never even SEEN it. There will be so many taxis lined up right at the port to take you anywhere you want to go. I'm not sure where you would even have to go to catch a bus of that nature....sorry.

I'm pretty set in my mind that we don't rent vehicles in any foreign country other than Canada. I don't have any issues renting there but the laws of the islands are quite different as is the insurance. There always seems to be a lot of options for transportation and we never do ship tours. Many times we've hired a driver for the day as we have coming up in the Honduras on our next trip. We've rented a van in Puerto Rico but never anywhere else.

So glad you didn't take that suggestion to rent a jeep or scooter in Cozumel. About a month ago, there was a terrible jeep accident there that killed several Americans and injured many others. The cruise lines will tell you to never rent a scooter and they're so right.

You're going to have a great time at Uvas if you're looking for a place to kick back with good drinks, good food and a beach you can wander down.

2- I see you've been on tons of trips. Is there any other island you'd put w/ Cozumel in terms of avoiding a rental?

Alex

The Caymans would be one of my picks. They drive on the wrong ( left) side of the road. I wouldn't last 10 minutes. But public transportation isn't much better. We had a van driver that talked on her cell phone all day and swerved all over the road.:eek:

Sorry, but I don't think I'll be going back. At least not in the foreseeable future. We didn't have reservations. We took a cab there for the afternoon after playing mini golf that morning. It was a nice enough place, but they didn't have electricity there on the day we were there. Now, I'm not being negative just because of that, but I was disappointed I couldn't get frozen drinks. They gave us a minor price adjustment on our entrance fee ($30 instead of $34 each). My husband wanted beer. The only beer that comes with the inclusive pkg was draft (we found that out after paying for the inclusive pkg). Others were having bottled beer around us, but they wouldn't give my husband one. I thought they might make an exception because of not having electricity, but they didn't. I drank Sex on the Beach drinks all day. I must have had 8 of them at least. I should have been smashed, but I barely felt them. I felt like I had drank a gallon of pineapple juice with no alcohol. I drink maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I usually feel buzzed after one drink. After about 4, I knew something was up because I didn't feel a thing.

I have been to Chankanaab and I can't believe people say that the beach is the same. The beach sand was much finer at Chankanaab and you sunk down into it more, where this was harder. It was grainier and more rough to the touch. The beach loungers were also those tacky blue and white ones like Carnival used to have on their ships. Although they did the job, they weren't very nice and some of them were broken (couldn't raise the back up). Also, not having palapas made it seem less tropical.

The good things were that it was a nice, quiet, peaceful place. It was small, which I expected. From the restaurant there were some nice views. Not having electricity meant that there was no music (a good thing). The food was also very good. We had the chicken and beef fajitas. Everything was delicious. I had heard good things about the guacamole, so I tried it. I really liked it a lot, and I do not normally eat guac at all, ever, so that was a surprise to me. The waiter was somewhat attentive. We had to get up to get drinks quite often, but he would always intercept us and bring them out to the chairs.

While it was a nice enough place, I will try somewhere else next time where I can get a better beach and stronger drinks. I wish we hadn't done the inclusive pkg, and maybe I'd feel better about it. For the money, I'll pass on this one in the future.

Edited by cruzzza

We just got back from Playa Uvas. This was our second time. Playa Uvas is small and quite. They have lockers and they had electricity both times we were there. They have beach chairs and mexican food. We never eat anything off the ship. The drinks are great and reasonable.

The first time we went we went snorkeling and it was one of the best guided tours we ever had.

We did the Discover Scuba with Luis this time. This was the first time for Scuba for my son and myself. My husband had Scuba Dived before. I was really leery of trying this. I just couldn't imagine why anyone would put on weights and sink in the ocean. I was also afraid something would happen to my air. Lets face it - I was scared.

It was GREAT. We had a presentation, watched a film, questioned about procedures to make sure we understood what we had to do. We had a choice of our first practice with our equipment on in the pool or the ocean. My husband decided on the ocean. I was really scared now. The tanks are heavy even though I got a small tank. My son and husband got much larger tanks. The guide was MARVELOUS. The guide helped me feel completely confidant. I'm not a strong swimmer and Luis took me by the hand and guided me all over the place. Then the guys had to keep up with me. I would definitely do it again.

I was more than pleased with both of our trips to Playa Uvas and would certainly return for either excursion.

Also, the people are very nice and try to make sure you have a good time.

Linda

CRUZZZA:

My DH and I have been to Uvas 3 times because, besides the food being very good, they have always treated us really well. Let me tell you, the first time we were there we paid for the Open Bar and the Snorkel Tour, and after we did the tour, we were on the beach and my DH mentioned that his drinks were not strong enough, so I had to mention it to the waiter, and the next drink, and all the rest he had, were good and strong like he likes them. So, each time we're there, Kiko and the other waiter (can't remember his name), already know how my DH likes his drinks. So, if you go back, it's just a matter of telling the waiter, bartender, or even Carmen and your DH, or you, or anybody will get their drinks the way you like them.

LEZLEE:

I don't think Missyfuz came back! LOL. I think I'm going to take you up on the offer, so when you go to Uvas, could you ask Sole, or whoever is taking care of the Glass Fusion jewelry for prices for the earrings, small and medium necklaces, and could they make a discount if I buy 20 pieces, LOL! And if possible, their telephone, please!

Thank you and happy cruising!!

Edited by artseeker
NOT FINISHED

I agree with artseeker. If you like your drinks stronger simply tell your waiter or the bartender and they will put enough of alcohol in your drinks for you. I have never had a problem with Uvas and they will not have a problem with giving you stronger drinks.

I guess I should have told Kiki to make the drinks stronger. I didn't want to complain and I guess I felt like that was normal and that's just how they made them there, to save money or something. I think they should make their drinks stronger so people won't be disappointed to begin with. They were EXTREMELY weak, seriously.

Also, I don't think I mentioned before that my husband was not able to get any beer. The draft machine runs on electricity, and so he wasn't allowed to drink beer. My review sounded like he wanted bottles instead of draft, but he just wanted any beer and draft would have been fine. Since they didn't have draft I thought they should have offered him bottles instead.

Edited by cruzzza