Playa Uvas

rscima

We haven't been to Uvas in a while and will be in Cozumel on Dec 27. Looks like there will be a lot of ships in port that day, so we're planning on booking a private taxi over to the East side of the island to have lunch at Playa Bonita, then a stop at the tequila 'factory' before heading to a beach. Debating between Uvas and Mr. Sanchos. Advantage to Mr. Sanchos is no entrance fee. We have been there and enjoyed it as well.

Thoughts?

We haven't been to Uvas in a while and will be in Cozumel on Dec 27. Looks like there will be a lot of ships in port that day, so we're planning on booking a private taxi over to the East side of the island to have lunch at Playa Bonita, then a stop at the tequila 'factory' before heading to a beach. Debating between Uvas and Mr. Sanchos. Advantage to Mr. Sanchos is no entrance fee. We have been there and enjoyed it as well.

Thoughts?

If it was up to me I would choose Playa Uvas!! I'm a big fan!! I always make myself time to stop by there to enjoy the view, the ppl, snorkeling,ahh....

This was our 5th visit to Playa Uvas. We came in on the Carnival Elation on August 7. When we arrived, the place was a little dirty. (beer bottles, cups, broken glass, etc. on the beach) My husband decided to go and talk to them about it and they said they had just opened and had 4 ships in port the day before and had not had time to clean it yet. Within 15 minutes, it was clean but they never got around to cleaning the pool (to our standards)before we left. It did not stop us from enjoying ourselves. It is still one of the best beaches in Cozumel to spend a day and the service is still wonderful. Kiko was our waiter again and he always gives great service and attention. We will still go back next time.

Our family of five were at Playa Uvas August 5. Carmen was so warm and welcoming when we arrived! She gave us a tour and set us up with chairs and an umbrella. What I loved most was the snorkeling! We were all snorkel "virgins" and I was a little apprehensive about it, but it was a terrific experience! My kids spent the afternoon out snorkeling and having the time of their life! It is not a large beach club, but it was clean and the service was terrific! A word of caution - like others have said, the beach is not soft and sandy. It is quite rocky and water shoes are highly recommended! I would not hesitate to go back or recommend Playa Uvas to anyone! We loved it!

My family and I made our first visit to Playa Uvas on August 3. When we arrived, Carmen greeted us and had our name on the board. She introduced us to the bartender, our waiter, Kiko, and our snorkel guide, Reyes. We were offered water before we snorkeled. We were the only people in the group, so it was like we had our own personal guide. Reyes was great! Seems like a very nice young man. When we finished, almost an hour, Kiko got our drink order and we placed our lunch order. My husband ordered the mango daiquiri. WOW!! After 2 he had to take a nap. Kiko was a great waiter. He didn't hang around you the whole time, but was just a waive away!! The food was very good and the other daiquiris good too. The water was gorgeous and I found the area very clean. My daughters hung out in the water while we relaxed under the umbrella. It was so relaxing. So much nicer than the bigger beach break excursion we did with Carnival years ago. We are planning a group cruise for next summer with family and friends and will love to visit Playa Uvas again. Remember to join their group on Facebook and get a discount. Thanks to everyone at Playa Uvas who made our day a delight!!

I'm in the process of booking the Ecstasy for Nov 4 cruise...will be at Uvas on Nov 6. Get ready for my WHOLE family to show up again. I'll get with you with the number in a few days.

Lady...glad to see you're still around, too!! I spent a month traveling Ireland and the UK and hadn't planned a cruise this year, but I can't HELP myself!! I'm having UVAS withdrawal!!

We went to Playa Uvas August 13th. We were a group of ten twenty somethings and we had a great time!! We did the snorkel, open bar, and lunch combo (with a facebook discount 35 dollars per person!). The snorkeling was great and service was even better. Keiko, our waiter, kept taking drink orders non-stop! The lunch was awesome too. My husband and I got massages which we also enjoyed. Overall a great deal for the money. Playa Uvas is on the list of places to go when you get to the taxi dispatch area right at the peer. Everything was easy and great! I'd recommend it to anyone going to Cozumel!

We went to Playa Uvas August 13th. We were a group of ten twenty somethings and we had a great time!! We did the snorkel, open bar, and lunch combo (with a facebook discount 35 dollars per person!). The snorkeling was great and service was even better. Keiko, our waiter, kept taking drink orders non-stop! The lunch was awesome too. My husband and I got massages which we also enjoyed. Overall a great deal for the money. Playa Uvas is on the list of places to go when you get to the taxi dispatch area right at the peer. Everything was easy and great! I'd recommend it to anyone going to Cozumel!

you are right!! we recommend Playa Uvas to all of our friends that visit Coz...

Edited by oldmedic

Our family of five were at Playa Uvas August 5. Carmen was so warm and welcoming when we arrived! She gave us a tour and set us up with chairs and an umbrella. What I loved most was the snorkeling! We were all snorkel "virgins" and I was a little apprehensive about it, but it was a terrific experience! My kids spent the afternoon out snorkeling and having the time of their life! It is not a large beach club, but it was clean and the service was terrific! A word of caution - like others have said, the beach is not soft and sandy. It is quite rocky and water shoes are highly recommended! I would not hesitate to go back or recommend Playa Uvas to anyone! We loved it!

Uvas sounds really nice, but I am not into snorkeling. I just like to wade into calm, shallow water and relax and float around, but the rocky shorline at Uvas concerns me.

Is it possible to wade into the water comfortably if I have on water shoes? And is the water relatively shallow with no sudden drop-offs?

I've been to Uvas like 3-4 times, and certainly it is a rocky shore, but I remember they have some kind of rubber "rugs" to step into the water and avoid stepping on the rocks. Further into the water, after the "rugs", the water level increases gradually; first the water level is up to your hips, but there is nothing better than to actually see what I'm saying than checking out Facebook. The Uvas Facebook has like 40 albums and there you can appreciate the actual "getting" in the water. Really, check them out!

We had a girls day massage at Playa Uvas on Aug 20, 2010. It was me and 2 of my girlfriends came to Uvas while our husbands had an other excursion..we wanted massages! Hands down!!!!..:D...The best Relaxing tropical massage...ever! We were greeting ..by name... by Carmen when we arrived. Uvas is not a party resort but truly a relaxing one. Everyone was friendly,the enviroment was clean, the view from our table was gorgeous, the food was delicious, the prices were fair.....best if you do packages. Be sure you add Play Uvas as a Friend on Facebook for add. pictures,reviews and discounts. Only regret...I didn't have time to snorkle as we had to meet up with our husbands.....but Uvas will be my majority stopping point my next trip to Cozumel!!!

WOOHOO!!!!!! We are coming back to Playa Uvas in January!!!!!!!!! I can not wait to get back to a beach chair with my name on it and Kiko serving up a round of cold pina coladas! I am bringing my daughter to meet the Uvas gang-get ready ya all :D She has heard her Dad and I talk about your awesome beach and now gets a chance to enjoy first hand. This will be an all gal thing-just she and I on her 21st B-day cruise. I have promised her a great massage and a amazing day. I know you will not disappoint :) See you soon my friends!

I went to Playa Uvas with 5 friends at the end of August and couldn't have been happier! We had reservations so the staff had our names written on a white board welcoming us, nice touch! We arrived at 9:30 AM and were some of the few people there. It was never very crowded which made the beach feel very private. We got beach chairs right in front of the ocean and rented snorkeling gear. The water was beautiful and there were plenty of pretty fish and reefs to see. The staff was very accommodating and brought us drinks to our lounge chairs. We even ordered lunch from where we were laying out and they brought it to us so we could eat with an ocean view! The shrimp quesadillas and guacamole were excellent. Even the pool was perfect when we needed to cool down. I would love to return to Playa Uvas!

The first week of Sept. we also pre-reserved at Playa Uvas (after a reccommendaton from a Cruise Critic member. We were greeted by name on arrival and the staff were all very friendly. We only wanted a couple of hours of beach time--and enjoyed front row loungers under an umbrella along with a drink. The water was beautiful! Just one note--it would be smart to wear your beach shoes--when you enter the water, there are rocks. Not a huge problem--but shoes would feel good. There were probably no more than 15 people there during our stay--very private feeling. The taxi fare was $10 each way for both of us--and there was a taxi waiting when we left. There is an outdoor shower and bathrooms.

I'm in the process of booking the Ecstasy for Nov 4 cruise...will be at Uvas on Nov 6. Get ready for my WHOLE family to show up again. I'll get with you with the number in a few days.

Lady...glad to see you're still around, too!! I spent a month traveling Ireland and the UK and hadn't planned a cruise this year, but I can't HELP myself!! I'm having UVAS withdrawal!!

Hey Stir!! How you been?? So you been off traveling!! Must be nice to be you! :p I'm so jealous that you will be heading over to Uvas before me. We're planning on going in Dec. I guess it's not that far away. lol

We had a girls day massage at Playa Uvas on Aug 20, 2010. It was me and 2 of my girlfriends came to Uvas while our husbands had an other excursion..we wanted massages! Hands down!!!!..:D...The best Relaxing tropical massage...ever! We were greeting ..by name... by Carmen when we arrived. Uvas is not a party resort but truly a relaxing one. Everyone was friendly,the enviroment was clean, the view from our table was gorgeous, the food was delicious, the prices were fair.....best if you do packages. Be sure you add Play Uvas as a Friend on Facebook for add. pictures,reviews and discounts. Only regret...I didn't have time to snorkle as we had to meet up with our husbands.....but Uvas will be my majority stopping point my next trip to Cozumel!!!

Glad to hear that ya'll had a good time. I love spending my day there with Carmen, Eduardo, and Kiko and the rest of the guys! They are a truly awesome group!!

he Uvas Facebook has like 40 albums and there you can appreciate the actual "getting" in the water. Really, check them out!

Hey Artseeker!! It's good to see that you are still around!! When are you planning on going back to Uvas again?

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I were in Cozumel in September 2010 and loved Playa Uvas. Carmen greeted us by name when we arrived. She was very pleasant, even took us around the place to show us where everything was and to introduce us to Kiko, Reyes, and the rest of the gang.

Kiko was great, excellent bar service!

The chairs are similar to the old Carnival loungers, but who cares?! I certainly didn't. They were quite sufficient, and we also had a umbrellas and a small table between our two chairs.

The grounds are small, but were very well kept, the grass was beautiful. I took several pictures and wish I could share them here.

The pool was small, but was clean and the water was temperature was wonderful. We only got in for a few minutes to cool off.

My favorite thing about the trip to Playa was the snorkeling tour with Reyes, he was a great guide, taking time to point out all of the beautiful things along the way!

And the price was spot on! With the FB discount it only cost us $52 for the day (plus cost of taxi and gratuities) for all we wanted to drink, the entrance cost and 45 minutes of snorkeling. If you are considering snorkeling on your own rather than going with Reyes, definitely don't miss out! He is great!

One thing that you may find annoying is that the entrance into the ocean is quite rocky, you may need water shoes. I didn't find it too much of a nuisance, it was worth all the beauty that was in the water. And from what I understand these are protected waters, so they cannot bring in sand.

We have been on 13 cruises and will surely be in Cozumel again within the next 6 months, so we will see you again soon, Carmen, Kiko and Reyes!

Until...:):cool:

With the snorkeling be on shore what kind of quality of fish do yu see. I know its not reef snorkeling but really am looking for a beach that has good shore snorkeling or offers boat snorkel trip to a reef.

There is a variety of fish that one can see if you snorkel right off the beach there. As soon as you get in the water you see fish!! :D I would recommend that you take the tour guided snorkeling that Playa Uvas offers. They know the area well and their guided tour guide will show you where some reefs are at and will point out what type of fishes are swimming around you. I've seen stingrays, eel, octopus, parrot fish, and a variety of fishes there at Uvas. Not good at remembering their names. Even though I have been there several times I still enjoy doing their guided snorkeling tour. I keep the fins, and the life jacket ( i take my own snorkel and guide) during my stay there so I can go snorkeling throughout the day.:D

WOOHOO!!!!!! We are coming back to Playa Uvas in January!!!!!!!!! I can not wait to get back to a beach chair with my name on it and Kiko serving up a round of cold pina coladas! I am bringing my daughter to meet the Uvas gang-get ready ya all :D She has heard her Dad and I talk about your awesome beach and now gets a chance to enjoy first hand. This will be an all gal thing-just she and I on her 21st B-day cruise. I have promised her a great massage and a amazing day. I know you will not disappoint :) See you soon my friends!

because of great recommendations for someone that goes by hammertx hmmmmm, who knows maybe we will see them there LOL, see ya Jan. 8icon10.gificon12.gif

because of great recommendations for someone that goes by hammertx hmmmmm, who knows maybe we will see them there LOL, see ya Jan. 8icon10.gificon12.gif

LOL! I forgot to tell you on our roll call cantwait4cruise that we will be there too :)