We fly into Vancover at 8:30AM what to do?

minniemom

So we arrive at 8:30 AM, what do we do? Go straight to the Terminal? Take a taxi? Any other ways to get there? I thought I read the cruise transfers wait a long to pick you up? I wouldn't mind going around the city for a couple of hours, but what do we do with our luggage, I don't want to bring it along? Any suggestions?

I would take a cab to Canada Place, drop off your bags, then get out and see some of Vancouver. Even a ride on the Sea bus is delightful, and a great view of your ship. :) There are buses or walk to Stanley Park.

I havent tried this yet (we don't get to Vancouver ourselves until next week - and we will just have the day to look around prior to our cruise), but there are some bus tours that will take you and your bags around the city and then drop you at the cruise terminal. Not sure if your timing works out, but this is one company I foung via google - http://www.bcpassport.com/bus/index.html and there were others as well. I havent tried any, so I can't comment on how good they are.

I like to walk more (but mom doesnt) so I have been investigating the hop on/hop off bus as a compromise. I believe Gray Line runs this one and they have it on their website.

I would love to hear any other advice for top 3 things to check out in Vancouver since we will have one evening and then part of a day

thanks!

Excuse my ignorance here, but what is Canada Place? Is that the name of the terminal? We are lucky enough to fly in on the same day, and it is a straight thru, so I will look into some of those things to do. We thought about staying over a day longer to tour the city, but we have a ranch and lots of work to do at home when we get home, so not much chance of that happening, but if we can get in a few hours, I would LOVE to do that. I do like to walk, but just didn't want to do it with luggage in tow. So, I would love to know where Canada Place is, and I will check into some of these things. Also, we are going CC on Celebrity, so I think it is a pre-board, but with lines and such, what time would you reccommend, getting there. Do we hurry up to get there to stand in line???? Thanks for all the help...

Sorry, Canada Place is the cruise dock if you are on HAL, Princess, NCL usually. :) Check your documents as there are two locations and consider taking your cab directly there and drop off your bags. Then you have plenty of time for some touring.

Landsea tours has a pre-cruise city tour. We booked with them for our upcoming cruise. They will pick us up, with our luggage, at our hotel and drop us off at the ship after the tour. I'm betting this might work for you too.

Budget Queen: Canada place Is that for Celebrity too??

cntrydncr1:

You mentioned Landsea tours, how did you find them is that a .com place, and you mention they pick you up at your hotel, well, we won't be needing a hotel at all, our flights, are on the same day as we come and go... If you have an email can you post it here? Thank you all so much. I am learning so much from this, I just appreciate you guys taking the time to help us newbies out... Thanks

At the 1986 World's Fair in Vancouver what is now Canada Place was the Canadian government pavilion.

After the fair was over it took on the following roles:

1. IMAX theatre

2. Cruise ship terminal

3. Trade and Convention center

4. World trade center

5. Pan Pacific Hotel

As for which dock you sail from: Canada Place or Ballantyne Pier it looks like it will depend on which Celebrity ship you are on.

Here's a link to the Port of Vancouver cruise ship schedule:

http://www.portvancouver.com/vanAlaCruise/content/schedule/index.php?

Hope this helps and enjoy your Alaska cruise.

Cheers

Dennis

Well, maybe more than a couple. We just returned from the Island Princess and spent the day in Vancouver, while awaiting time to catch Amtrak to Seattle. Therefore, we had need of a place to store our bags. I did not know in advance of any bus tours as mentioned on this thread (wish I had), so we stored our bags in the location at Canada Place. It was rather pricey, at $29 for our six bags, so be prepared for that. Still, for the convenience, it was probably worth it.

We took the Big Bus around the city, an on-and-off tour, which also was a bit pricey, at about $32 pp. However, we were able to have very good views of the city from its upper deck, able to get off for lunch, etc. Drawback: signs for re-boarding are a bit hard to determine, but their map is helpful.

For what it's worth: While at Gastown's famous clock, overheard a tour guide for another group advise her listeners that Gastown was okay to visit in daylight but she herself would not come there at night by herself. (They were all Japanese tourists though she was not.)

Finally, I agree with Clearbluewater that Vancouver is exceptional. This was our second visit and I would go again in a heartbeat!

Archived