Help calm my nerves!

bride93006

For our honeymoon, my FI and I are taking a RCI cruise to the Caribbean. Even though I'm really excited about the cruise, what makes me nervous is actually getting to the ship! Neither of us have ever flown before or been on a cruise. So...just getting on the airplane (making sure my luggage goes to the right place, getting on the right plane) and then getting to the ship and onboard are kind of scary to me!! I've never really been in an airport except to pick up a friend, so I really don't know what to expect!!

There are just a lot of "firsts" that are going to be taking place for my honeymoon and it makes me nervous! I want to have a nice honeymoon and not have to worry about the details of getting to my dream cruise!!

Help me with any advice or suggestions, please!!

Thanks!

What a wonderful Honeymoon you have planned and Congrats on your forthcoming wedding. Since 9/11 you have to jump through a few more hoops when traveling but it is all pretty painless, just time consuming....some tips( there are so many):

1. Get to the airport Early, some airline require you be there 2-3 hours ahead of time for international flights, 1-2 for domestic. You go by the final destination.
  2. Have your documentation and tickets stored in an accessible location. Do Not pack anything you need such as medication, valuables etc.
  3. Make sure your luggage is tagged with name etc. We also place a paper with our trip itinerary and contact info for the trip on top of the clothes before we lock the bags up. ( Use TSA approved locks) We also put a bright ribbon on out bags so they are easy to find
  4. You can make the security check easier if you avoid wearing anything with metal that may set off the detectors...wear comfortable clothes and shoes. (http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=183)
  5. Sometimes luggage gets lost or delayed so....pack 1 days worth of clothing in a carry on. We also use 2 checked bags and put half of what we need in each bag. If one bag gets lost we still have what we need.
  6. Use ziplock bags for containers of lotions and liquids.I learned this the hard way LOL
  7. Relax and Enjoy...the last thing you want is to be stressed

If you are unsure of anything about your flight, check with your carrier.

Hope you have a wonderful and uneventful trip and a great Honeymoon!

Those are all great tips for the AP & travel in general, especially the one about getting there early.

I would add these:

1. If you are driving yourselves to the AP as opposed to being dropped off, review a map of the AP before you go. Navigating the arrivals, departures, short term & long term parking can be stressful if you are not used to the congestion.

2. Wear slip on shoes b/c you will have to take them off to go through the metal detectors.

3. Keep reading the net to learn more about your cruise. Get involved in the Roll Call thread for your cruise. Meet those folks for a drink so you will have a friendly face or two on your trip.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

When you get to the airport, you will go up to the counter where you will obtain your boarding pass. You will need photo ID at this time. After you check in your luggage (50 pound weight limit per bag or you will have to pay extra) you will then proceed through a security checkpoint where you will show your boarding pass and photo ID. While at the checkpoint, you will put your carry-ons, jackets, and shoes on a conveyer through the x-ray machine while you walk through a metal detector gateway. Be sure to empty your pockets of all metal items into a bowl that goes through the x-ray machine. Oh, you cannot take knives, etc. on the plane with you. You may be asked to be further searched - this involves them taking their wand and scanning your pockets, etc. It is nothing to fret over if this happens.

Once through security you will pick up all of the things you just put through the x-ray and then you will go to your boarding gate. You will not have to do anything more at this gate - you are ready to board when your seating area is called.

When your seating area is called, you will give your boarding pass to the gate agent and he/she will scan it, and send you on your way down the jetway. Once on the plane you will find your seat. They are well labeled above the rows. You will put most, or all, of your carry-ons in the overhead bin. You can keep things out, but them must be able to fit in the pocket of the back of the seat in front of you, or under the seat in front of you.

Read the planes emergency information card. This will help you see where the emergency exits are. I always count how many rows it is to get to the exits. Never had to use the emergency exits, but I feel better knowing I am prepared.

During the flight the attendents will probably come around with drinks (you pay for alcohol) and if you are lucky, some snacks such as pretzels. If your flight is long, or around lunch/dinner time, you may want to bring on food to eat. They no longer serve meals on most flights.

There are restrooms on almost all planes. Just a few little planes don't have them.

You may watch a movie on the flight, depending on the length of the flight.

When you get off the plane, if you have a connecting flight, there will probably be someone in the airport who can help direct you; if not, along the walkway there are big screens that will show you all the information you will need as to where and when your next flight leg is located.

All the airports have places where you can purchase food, drinks, reading materials and other sundrie items.

I hope this has helped.

Oh, just an FYI, my FAVORITE part of flying is take-off. I love the feeling of power you get when the plane has turned her nose into the runway and the power builds, and builds, then you start rolling, and the next thing you know . . . . . . you are FLYING!!!!!!!

Have a wonderful wedding, and an even more wonderful honeymoon!

Bride93006, there are many good pointers here for you, and I will add a few. I think the first airplane flight will be more of a challenge than the first cruise. First, when arriving at the airport go to the departing flights area of the terminal, and when once inside look for your airline's ticket counter. There is often a line to wait in to get up to the counter. The ticket agent will assist you and take your "checked" luggage. The next time you will see your "checked" bags will be at the baggage claim area of your arrival airport.

Next you join the line to go through security, as already described. Anything metal may trigger the alarm: coins, keys, cellphones, jewelry, ballpoint pens with any metal, jacket zippers, belt buckles,etc.Your carry-on, purse, camera, any anything metal goes through the X-Ray scanner in a plastic box. Again the security agents will assist you.

Once through security be sure you collect all your belongings and then look for your flight's departure "gate". There are signs to direct you and often quite a bit of walking to get there. Again, don't be afraid to ask. Sit near the gate and listen for the announcement of when to board the plane.

Once on the plane there is lighting and air control above your seat. Now a word about flying. The first time flying can cause anxiety. The engines roar, the plane shakes a little, and once airborne you will hear odd noises as the wheels are retracted and flaps are retracted. Don't worry about odd noises, the plane won't fall apart. It is common just after takeoff (and also landing) to feel some bumpiness, like a bus on a rough road, but, fortunately that sickening elevator-like swooping is quite rare. Also the plane tips (banks) when it turns. Don't think about what is holding the plane up, as you can't see anything to account for it. Also the wings bend up and down at the tips a little at times, but they won't break off. But just think, you are heading for the adventure of a lifetime, a honeymoon cruise. You will love it.

At the destination airport look for "baggage claim" and find the carousel that lists your flight- it may take 10 or even 20 minutes for your luggage to show up on the carousel. Find your luggage, make sure you have all your bags, and this is a good time to put your cruise tags that list your ship and cabin number on the bags. Next, get transportation to the pier with all your bags, and I suggest a taxi in Miami or Fort Lauderdale (or ship transfer by pre-payment, a bus).

Once at the pier you will see your ship, and the excitement gets intense. Leave all your bags except your carryons with the porters at the pier, and follow the signs for embarkation. From then on RCI employees will see to your every need and then some, as you begin a fabulous adventure. Everyone else just boarding will be excited too. You will love it. Jim

Once on the plane there is lighting and air control above your seat. Now a word about flying. The first time flying can cause anxiety. The engines roar, the plane shakes a little, and once airborne you will hear odd noises as the wheels are retracted and flaps are retracted. Don't worry about odd noises, the plane won't fall apart. It is common just after takeoff (and also landing) to feel some bumpiness, like a bus on a rough road, but, fortunately that sickening elevator-like swooping is quite rare. Also the plane tips (banks) when it turns. Don't think about what is holding the plane up, as you can't see anything to account for it. Also the wings bend up and down at the tips a little at times, but they won't break off. But just think, you are heading for the adventure of a lifetime, a honeymoon cruise. You will love it.

Jim

Great tips and advice Jim, Im glad you covered the above points, however reading it makes it sound a lot worse than it is :D

WIngs bending, what holds the plane up - you'll give us all crazy idea's:D :D :eek:

You'll be nervous at some point in the flight. Relax, the noises are normal. They will bring drinks to buy, but forgo them. Have some bottled water or juice instead. You get dried out on planes.

When you get off the plane just follow the signs.

Truly you will be fine and enjoy yourself. Oh and eat before you fly or take a snack. Airline food seems to have gone the way of the Dodo.

I normally get online a print my boarding pass. That will save a step and sometimes you can even pick your seats. This can be done normally 24 hours in advance. I always hold my hubby's hand on take off and landings. Originally I told him that I was scared and he seems to still think I am so he automatically grabs my hand and says snuggle close,Honey, I have you. It is so cute.

Our first cruise was last year and when we got to the ship I could not take my eyes off of the ship. What a sight, just make sure you have your passport ready and any travel documents. Before you get on the ship they take your picture and then WOW you board. How exciting that is or at least it was for me.

Well I guess I gave 4 cents worth. I can only suggest take it all in and enjoy. Watch the sun go down and come up over the water. What a sight. Also walk around the deck holding hands and taking it all in.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

i know all these posts sound like a lot to do or to remember

you dont say when you are crusing so make sure that you dont need a passport - which is really the best id to have-- check with the airline

also-- when you check your luggage at the counter make sure that the correct destination code is on the luggage tag as is the fllight number

avoid drinking alcohol --- you might want to take a bonine --an over the counter motion sickness pill that you can also take daily on the ship

if you are making connections check the monitor for departing flights and gate numbers on the tv monitors --they are all over the concourse--make sure to take your carry on off the plane

you dont say if you are arriving at your destination a day early or on the sail day or if you have arranged for ship transportation from the airport to the ship ----------so if you are coming in a day early collect your luggage and go outside to the taxi line and take a cab to your hotel

if you are arriving the day of the sail and you have ship transportation look for a greeter in the luggage area -- they wear bright blazers and carry signs they will tell you where to go to the bus with your luggage --if you dont have this transportation set up then go outside and take a cab to the cruise terminal

DO NOT FORGET YOUR ID AND YOUR SHIP BOARDING INFORMATION

this reads llike a lot but if you put all the suggestions in mental order it will flow like water ---just remember there are others on the plane and on the ship who have never travelled before

if you care to post the date you are flying --the date of the sail --the airport you are departing from --the airport you are arriving at and the cruise line it will help us

i know all these posts sound like a lot to do or to remember

you dont say when you are crusing so make sure that you dont need a passport - which is really the best id to have-- check with the airline

also-- when you check your luggage at the counter make sure that the correct destination code is on the luggage tag as is the fllight number

avoid drinking alcohol --- you might want to take a bonine --an over the counter motion sickness pill that you can also take daily on the ship

if you are making connections check the monitor for departing flights and gate numbers on the tv monitors --they are all over the concourse--make sure to take your carry on off the plane

you dont say if you are arriving at your destination a day early or on the sail day or if you have arranged for ship transportation from the airport to the ship ----------so if you are coming in a day early collect your luggage and go outside to the taxi line and take a cab to your hotel

if you are arriving the day of the sail and you have ship transportation look for a greeter in the luggage area -- they wear bright blazers and carry signs they will tell you where to go to the bus with your luggage --if you dont have this transportation set up then go outside and take a cab to the cruise terminal

DO NOT FORGET YOUR ID AND YOUR SHIP BOARDING INFORMATION

this reads llike a lot but if you put all the suggestions in mental order it will flow like water ---just remember there are others on the plane and on the ship who have never travelled before

if you care to post the date you are flying --the date of the sail --the airport you are departing from --the airport you are arriving at and the cruise line it will help us to help you further

Why don't you fly in a day early and stay at a hotel close to the ship terminal. This will let you complete one leg of the trip (the air travel) before you start another (the Cruise). You won't have to worry about flight delays, and you canget rid of the airplane anxiety and have a nice relaxing night to enjoy a cocktail and with your new spouse (congratulations!).

Have a wonderful time! :)

One other thought. You might tell one of the agents near the check-in point, at security and at your gate that this is your first flight. They are quite helpful with new flyers and can alleviate any anxiety as well as answer any questions. Do the same when you check in for your cruise... Most of all ENJOY!

Archived