Century 9th July St Petersburg Cancelled

countryhugh

I've just been told by my TA that the visit to St Petersburg on the 9th July Scandanavia/Russia cruise on Century has been cancelled. Warnemunde (Berlin) has been substituted. This is apparently because of the G8 summit in St Petersburg 13-17th July. Relly, really, really annoying - we booked this cruise hoping to see a little bit of Russia. Surely George Bush and Tony Blair etc. are not as important as our cruise? Their compensation offer of $250 onboard credit does not seem enough. The extra cost of going to Berlin from Warnemunde ($304 per person) will take care of that. Come on Celebrity - you should also throw in a free trip to Berlin.

Quite honestly I think you are asking too much. This issue is not Celebrity's fault, they have replaced it with another port plus gave you $250 credit. This seems more than fair and I think you are asking for more than is necessary.

This just seems to be getting out of hand these days. Everyone wants more.

Warenmunde, while a lovely and friendly little port on the Baltic ( excellent beer from neighboring Rostock BTW), does not begin to equal St. Petersburg. This is not an A=B.

I know that we booked our Baltic cruise primarily to go to St. Petersburg and its museums and palaces and would have been bitterly disappointed had this happened to us.

I would hope that something else could be done.

Will cross fingers for you.

Quite honestly I think you are asking too much. This issue is not Celebrity's fault, they have replaced it with another port plus gave you $250 credit. This seems more than fair and I think you are asking for more than is necessary.

This just seems to be getting out of hand these days. Everyone wants more.

I couldn't agree more. Celebrity is having to incurr a cost through no fault of their own. Partisan politics aside....this is a security issue and not a vast right wing conspiracy to disrupt someones vacation.

Thank you for your support Verdana. Perhaps if joemaj booked Hawai he would be happy to go to Alaska? The point is I live in Europe - I can fly to Berlin for £80 return any time. I can't do this to St Petersburg.

Thank you for your support Verdana. Perhaps if joemaj booked Hawai he would be happy to go to Alaska? The point is I live in Europe - I can fly to Berlin for £80 return any time. I can't do this to St Petersburg.

Good grief. I thought you were kidding.

If your TA JUST informed you, seems that you have a beef with the TA, not Celebrity.

What was your TA waiting for?

TA advised me on Saturday. I'm not really concerned that my TA only advised me on Saturday - it would have made little difference had I known 2 weeks ago. The point is that Warnemunde IS NOT St Petersburg - as greeneg says there's no comparison! A trip to Berlin would possibly equate a little closer to St Petersburg. You can visit St Petersburg by yourself - you have to pay a furtune ($304) to go to Berlin from Warnemunde. So by changing the itinerary to Warnemunden, Celrebrity are achieving maximum income from shore excursions. The point I am making is that the $250 on board credit is not even enough to cover the exta expense to go to Berlin which is a lesser destination than St Petersburg.

Country Hugh,

I'm sorry about your cancelled St. Petersburg visit.

Sadly, it does sound like your travel agent dropped the ball big time. This issue has been discussed here since late April, and apparently, Celebrity had made a firm decision on the matter by May 4 at the latest.

From fellow passenger comments, it appears there may be a way to cancel without penalty and/or there is a price reduction or cabin upgrade to be negotiated. Read these two threads for background--the Roll Call for your cruise and a discussion in the Baltics forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=248985&page=2

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=334614&page=2

I hope you are able to reach a satisfactory resolution.

And remember folks, X didn't cancel St. Pete's. St. Pete's canceled on no less than 24 cruise ships. That's alot of scrambling for alot of ships.

It's costing X money.

The time to address the problem was when the G6/Crusie Ship issue became known and was discussed here almost a month ago.

I don't understand why people whine so much when travel plans change and immediately turn to the provider of the service for some kind of "compensation." Clearly the change in the port of call is due to a circumstance Celebrity has no control over. I think it is generous that Celebrity offered what they did and passengers should be thankful for that. I don't have a lot of tolerance or sympathy for whiners who always are looking for some kind of "handout" because travel plans are sometimes revised. Just my two cents worth.

This clearly is not Celebrity's fault so I'm not sure what, if any, compensation is appropriate BUT I do have to say that if this was me, and I could cancel, I would. I cannot imagine a Baltic cruise without St. Petersburg. Yes, the other ports are lovely and I had a great time at every one - including Warnemunde - but St. Petersburg was the absolute highlight and the major reason I chose a Baltic cruise in the first place.

Good luck!!

Joanie

Shouldn't the cruiselines have known about the G8 well in advance? Its not an impromptu affair.

They knew about the G8 but it's only in the last month that St. Pete decided to close their harbor during the summit at the request of the US Secret Service.

To clarify, the OP isn't whining or looking for anything. It sounds like he/she has a great attitude and posted simply to express disappointment.

The purpose of my post was simply to inform the OP that TA's who were closely monitoring this situation were able to work with their clients to make the best of the changed itinerary. It seems that post-dropping SPb, Celebrity lowered fares on this cruise, and folks have been able to secure the appropriate adjustment from Celebrity, whether in the form of a reduced fare or an upgraded cabin...but only once they've known to ask for it! I think the OP has the right to know that information, as well as the suggestion in one of the threads that Celebrity was being flexible on the cancellation deadline to allow cruisers who wished to cancel/reschedule to do so.

We have been reading a lot about Celebrity's proactive customer service...or lack thereof...in the face of disappointments to cruisers. In this case, it sounds like Celebrity is doing a great job working with the July 9 Baltics cruisers who will miss SPb due to the G8.

Truly sorry on the loss of a highly desirable port, but I hope you enjoy your cruise regardless.

Isn't it true, in the fine print and the big print, that all that is really promised is some number of days and nights on the boat, hopefully going out of your port of origin and ending at the designated disembarkation port?

We had a similar thing happen last year, when we really wanted to go deep So. Caribbean and X substituted the Dom. Rep. for Grenada for a couple months of Constellation cruises out of San Juan. Many who'd made their last payments were upset, others who had the option to do so cancelled, or called to register a complaint. Don't know if it was the complainers or the cancellers who tipped the balance, but Grenada was added back. However, in our case there were no government port closures and no other lines affected, and it seemed to cruisers designed for the advantage of the line with no reflection on the customer, to save money on fuel to the south.

At this point, we make our reservations and cross our fingers, but plan to enjoy ourselves (or cancel, if it's early enough and a big deal to us) in the advertised stops or in any substitute that happens through no fault or deviousness on the part of the management. We don't travel in hurricane season and usually we get the ports as anticipated.

If I really really really plan to see to a certain city, I book a plane ticket and make it my destination. Never have had a problem with this substitute for a cruise. I think the ease with which this alternative can occur is one damper on too many port substitutions.

It probably would be better if all the glossy brochures had at the top of each page a banner stating "DESPITE ANY ADVERTISED ITINERARY, WE MAY NOT STOP AT THIS PORT" but that would likely reduce demand and therefore the line would have to reduce prices to fill the ships.

On a Princess cruise we had 2 ports cancelled and 2 ports shortened due to an engine problem that Princess denied existed for months. When I contacted Princess they denied there was a problem and assured us all was well and our itinerary was as planned. Shortly AFTER final payment, we were told there WAS an engine problem and we would be missing ports and some would be shortened. They would not allow us to cancel, postpone or change our booking in any way without a huge penalty. Our compensation? $100.

I understand your disappointment....been there, did that....but it seems you are getting a much better deal than us and frankly I wouldn't have minded $250 and substitute ports.

I am sorry whenever I hear of these types of problems, but considering Celebrity had nothing to do with this situation, they are being EXTREMELY generous.

I've been watching this (and similar) threads with interest, and I can see both sides of the argument.

First, there's no question but that the highlight of a Baltic cruise, by a long way, is the visit to St Pete. There really isn't a 'substitute port' for this one. Like spending 36 hours in Boston instead of New York - great town, but definitely not the Big Apple.

On the other hand, I understand the official position: all the cruise lines promise is a given number of days on the ship, during which they will endeavour to sail to a list of ports but don't promise to reach any of them. Especially in an instance like this, where the cancellation is due to external circumstances.

So I suppose we ought to remind ourselves that it's the cruise that's being sold, not the itinerary. And if you really want to see a particular place, then you should arrange a land-based holiday there. And making arrangements to rendezvous with people at an interim port can go wrong.

But I also recognise that it's easy for me to say all these things: I haven't been disappointed.

I don't jump on the line bash on this issue generally, but...

When I eventually take a Baltic cruise it will be to see St. Pete since I've been ashore in most of the other ports. This is also true about most of the pax (hence the ships overnight there).

What I'd be ROYAL in my indignation about is the fact that the line waits until a day or two AFTER final payment to announce a port cancellation that obviously had been in the pipeline months earlier. Alaska is still Alaska without Seattle or Sitka but a Baltic cruise without St. Petersburg... That's just the line with holding info to keep the ship full...

My sister has a friend who WAS on that sailing...

My sister, Brother-in-law, his brother and sister-in-law are all on the July21 sailing...

My sister's friend found out about the St. Pete cancellation a few weeks ago and had Celebrity switch her to my sister's sailing...easily enough accomplished then...

My guess is that there may be more than a few on your sailing doing the same thing...but, if your TA only just now told you, you are at a distinct disadvantage...plus, it is a little late in the game with the cruise only six weeks away!!

Personally, I cannot picture duing a Baltic cruise without visiting St. Petersburg...

Ok, so some of you think cancelling a major port (possibly THE port and the purpose behind the whole cruise) is unimportant. Anyone who considers a cruise to be about the ship needs to get out a lot more. The point of a cruise, regardless of the ship is a method of transport to locations -that is it I am not interested in playing bingo, proping up a bar, siting around a pool, I want to see places and experience new things, I can do all the ship board stuff anywhere even at home.

Cruise lines, certainly in the UK, market themselves as being a method of visiting the places you want to see without the hassle of packing / unpacking, in which case they need to start planning operationaly to meet the marketing

For the record, yes - I did have a port change on my last cruise. I didn't even get an onboard credit. Oh well, I accepted it and made new plans for my new port. I'd never been to Dublin and missed my chance, but made the most of a new port.

Face it, they closed the port and this is NOT Celebrities fault. There are 24 other ships affected as well.

Someone also said the OP was just venting. That's not the case. The OP said they did not feel what they were given was adequate. Now they want Celebrity to cover their excursions. How much were you going to spend on an excursion in St. Petersburg anyway? About $200? That now gives you $450 to play with seems to me.

It is also evident that your TA did not give you timely notification so that you could either make alternate plans or cancel, even though that appears to be options offered. Perhaps you should be venting to your TA for failing to look out for your best interesting, particularly if your TA knew how important St. Petersburg was to you.

Someone also said that Celebrity "waited until 3 or 4 days after final payment". Final payment is not necessarily when you can not cancel. Penalties begin later, and as stated by others, sounds like Celebrity was more than willing to be accommodating.

Oh, and for the record - I am the Marj of Joelmarj making me a SHE not a HE.

On a Princess cruise we had 2 ports cancelled and 2 ports shortened due to an engine problem that Princess denied existed for months. When I contacted Princess they denied there was a problem and assured us all was well and our itinerary was as planned. Shortly AFTER final payment, we were told there WAS an engine problem and we would be missing ports and some would be shortened. They would not allow us to cancel, postpone or change our booking in any way without a huge penalty. Our compensation? $100.

Wow, Margie...

I read this and thought you must have been on the old Crown Princess the Summer of 2001 in the Baltic...Then I looked at your signature area and realized you weren't---it must be a general Princess thing!!

When we did the Crown Princess to the Baltic in August 2001, for several weeks leading up to the cruise, we kept reading right here on these boards that the ship had been having engine problems--missing ports, late or shortened time in port, etc. But, when you contacted Princess, they insisted "no problem"...

Well, the ship was supposed to set sail from Copenhagen at 11:00 pm to head for Stockholm...LUCKILY, we always try to get to the ship early...Good thing we did--they revised sailing time to 5:00 pm...When questioned, we were told that they had sent notification to "everyone" three days earlier...Of course, as of three days earlier, we were already in Copenhagen for our pre-cruise...When I spoke to my TA, she told us they only received notification from Princess THE DAY OF THE CRUISE and tried to reach us but we had already checked out of our hotel (and I trust my TA implicitly!)

Why the early departure? Could it be engine trouble?

We were also very late into St. Petersburg and they needed to rearrange and shorten all of the morning shore excursions...Our 4 hour City Tour became a 2 hour tour...and we had no lunch break afterwards before having to head right back out on our slightly shortened afternoon Peterhof excursion, which, with the new schedule, only left us time for a quick bite before heading out to the Ballet excursion...

Finally, after enough complaints, Princess rebated everyone on the 2 hour city tour a whopping EIGHT BUCKS!!!

Anyway, to get back to this...I really don't think most of us think St. Petersburg is unimportant. It is definitely a MAJOR part of why one does a Baltic cruise (Yeah, if I cruised just for the ship and food I could save the airfare and effort and just book a lot of back-to-back Mexico cruises out of LA)...

I think what MOST people are really saying is this: It is NOT Celebrity that caused the itinerary change...and even though the G* may have been planned for months, they undoubtedly had no way to know that port closure would be an issue...you can have a conference and entertain tourists at the same time--especially since the tourists are bringing their own floating hotel rooms...

All Celebrity can really do is to alter the itinerary (and we've all been on cruises where the cruise lines have missed ports for a variety of reasons--like hurricanes, political or military issues, etc.)...

You certainly can't force your way into a port that's not allowing you to enter...

So, the real questions are:

1) Notice

2) Compensation

3) Replacement arrangements

As to notice, one would hope that the parties you are dealing with--either the cruise line or your TA--will provide you with sufficient notice to alter your plans if desired or possible. It sounds here like your TA dropped the ball a little bit.

As to compensation, the question is what is fair and reasonable to ALL parties since no one is at fault. When some folks read about people wanting to be compensated on these boards, they flash back to a thread a few months back where some guy did an elaborate production to claim Carnival owed him a free all-expense paid cruise to Hawaii because he had a few minor complaints about his cruise (like a stain on the lampshade in his cabin)...or the thread a couple of years back with the guy who though he should get all of his money back because he MEASURED his cabin and, per his calculations, it came up SEVEN SQUARE FEET SHORT of the size listed in the brochure!!

Obviously, going to Warnemunde instead of St. Petersburg is far more important than a stain on a lamp or a slightly off cabin size measurement...But the question is "What is reasonable?"...

First of all, there really can't be a "value" established for missing St. Petersburg...It's more of an inherent value than a dollar amount...And the cruise line doesn't really make any more money sending you to Warnemunde...Most of that shore excursion cost goes to the local contractors...Celebrity is still provisin you with the same number of cabin days, the same meals, the same entertainment, etc. The only real possible difference to them might be any difference in port fees (of course, that could be a negative as well)...So, their offerring you $250 is not to offset your shore excursion costs nor is it tied to any extra money they make (they don't...they'll likely lose money due to cancelled cruises and last minute logistical needs)...The $250 is merely a goodwill gesture.

The real issue is...that if you really want to visit St. Petersburg...and that is the single most important factor in your Baltic cruise...that you just need to realize you cannot do it as planned. It has become an impossibility. The answer is to CHANGE DATES (as my sister's friend did). The cruise line would undoubtedly have worked with you on this, even if they notified you AFTER final payment...

If it's important to you, RESCHEDULE...

The real issue is...that if you really want to visit St. Petersburg...and that is the single most important factor in your Baltic cruise...that you just need to realize you cannot do it as planned. It has become an impossibility. The answer is to CHANGE DATES (as my sister's friend did). The cruise line would undoubtedly have worked with you on this, even if they notified you AFTER final payment...

If it's important to you, RESCHEDULE...

Unfortunately for many people, they had all their plans arranged for this cruise (ie: vacation dates, airfare, hotel arrangements, etc); therfore, it is not so easy for them to just reschedule. Moreover, in the case of large groups such as family reunion groups it is almost impossible to rearrange everyone's schedule. St. Petersburg is definitely a major attraction for many baltic cruisers, and it is unfortunate that Celebrity notify their guests after final payment since it leaves very little time to reschedule. Other cruise lines such as Holland America were able rearrange the port order to keep St. Petersburg on the itinerary as seen on the 7/12 sailing of the Amsterdam. Maybe X didn't want to pay additional fees to the port to reserve a berth? Who knows?

Archived