When to stop wearing a bikini

Somewhere around 20 or after your first child. Weight doesn't matter. But when things start heading for Venezuela, it's time to grow up.

And, as for Speedo's---when you are 12.

Self esteem is a wonderful thing to have - but being a member of the Dunlap family should preclude the skimpy swim wear.

Now, if you wanted to sunbathe nude, that's a whole 'nuther thing. At least nothing laps over anything else.

Somewhere around 20 or after your first child.

I've seen women well over twice that age that look incredible in a bikini. Just because you age, or have a child, does not have to mean you have to fall apart. If you eat like you should, and exercise like you should, you won't. I am 50 - I carry a 6-pack. And it ain't no beverage either. :cool:

I've seen women well over twice that age that look incredible in a bikini. Just because you age, or have a child, does not have to mean you have to fall apart. If you eat like you should, and exercise like you should, you won't. I am 50 - I carry a 6-pack. And it ain't no beverage either. :cool:

I agree! Just as I told already this woman in her mid to late fifties looked great-until she went topless (this was in Martinque) and we could see how bad she was going south-but heck with her top on -she put most 20 year olds to shame!

Somewhere around 20 or after your first child. Weight doesn't matter. But when things start heading for Venezuela, it's time to grow up.

And, as for Speedo's---when you are 12.

Self esteem is a wonderful thing to have - but being a member of the Dunlap family should preclude the skimpy swim wear.

Now, if you wanted to sunbathe nude, that's a whole 'nuther thing. At least nothing laps over anything else.

:confused: :confused: :confused: 50 here. Bikini is the only swim suit I own. Worked out all my life. Fit and tan:D

I certainly am not delusional enough to think I look like a "hot babe" in a bikini but I don't think I look too bad. It would never occur to me to wear a thong, and I have yet to see anyone look good in them.

Stretch marks are a different story. Fortunately I don't have any on my stomach but my boobs look like I was sliced with a razor, they are very deep and wide. Of course my bikini top takes care of that problem. I am very self conscious about it but it doesn't bother me as much as it use to.

:confused: :confused: :confused: 50 here. Bikini is the only swim suit I own. Worked out all my life. Fit and tan:D

ALRIGHT! You go girl. You've got about another 10 years before mother nature goes to work on ya; live it up.

That's great! You've got about another 10 years before mother nature starts in on ya.....live it up.

I haven't worn a bikini in YEARS, because I am overweight and self conscious. But our FIRST CRUISE (woohoo!) starts next Saturday and I did it. I bought one. I may look "FAT" and "OUT OF PLACE" to some people on that ship but I don't care! I've worked hard and lost 18 pounds for this trip-only 20 left to go, so I'm pleased. Great looking, no. Proud of myself, heck yeah!! and my husband really likes the bikini so I bet its a fun cruise!!

:-)

I am mid fifties so will not be wearing any bikinis, though I am not fat.

What I am is very pale and flabby and there will be no change in that, unfortunately, so if anyone has seen any of those 1890's bathing "costumes" with blousy top and bloomers, let me know, that's what I'm looking for!:cool:

I am mid fifties so will not be wearing any bikinis, though I am not fat.

What I am is very pale and flabby and there will be no change in that, unfortunately, so if anyone has seen any of those 1890's bathing "costumes" with blousy top and bloomers, let me know, that's what I'm looking for!:cool:

(LOL!) we are enjoying this thread aren't we! Me neither! I am with you- no bikinis for me- but I have seen older women who looked nice and carried it off very well!

What does growing up have to do with anything? I'm 40 and in better shape now than I ever was at 20 and proudly wear a bikini.

Ran into one of my longtime girlfriends on the beach yesterday who is 41 and has a body most 16 year olds would kill for and she looks fantastic in a bikini.

What does growing up have to do with anything? I'm 40 and in better shape now than I ever was at 20 and proudly wear a bikini.

Ran into one of my longtime girlfriends on the beach yesterday who is 41 and has a body most 16 year olds would kill for and she looks fantastic in a bikini.

that is the key-plenty of 20 year olds should NOT wear a bikini-but I have also seen 50 plus women that looked great. I believe it has more to do with how good a shape you are in then how old you are.

I'm in trouble.. my son from ca. is arriving tomorrow nite.. he hasn't been here in a few months and of course when we speak he asks 'Have you been going to the gym and working out like I showed you"... I cross fingers, ankles, eyes and pray for forgiveness asn I reply.. "of course i have".. and quietly add..'not'.. but it will be obvious when he arrives.. so this morning at 7:30 I jumped in my pool (fortunately i live in fl and it was toasty warm) then went to the gym...by tomorrow I will be slim and trim and bikini bait.. sure I will!!..oh yes, have to ride the bike the kids bought me for Mothers Day (think they are giving me hints,, lol) so that may perform miracles between now and tomorrow :)i'm widowed so the kids think they are responsible for me..

I think the younger generation has started taking care of themselves much sooner than we thought about it..or most of us thought about it.. they work out, are on zone diets, eat healthier.. I just went to the store to get supplies like whole wheat bagels, yogurt , soy milk, etc.. I know his weakness is Ben and Jerry's chunky monkey ice cream .. lol.. he's coming without his wife so in between some business appts. he has I'll have his undivided attention.. which means more visits to the health club.. lol.... Back to the bikini question.. I think those days are over, but I'll settle for the tankini, which I find very comfortable and you can purchase different size bottoms than tops.. i'm smaller bottom and larger top so they work fine..

I'm in trouble.. my son from ca. is arriving tomorrow nite.. he hasn't been here in a few months and of course when we speak he asks 'Have you been going to the gym and working out like I showed you"... I cross fingers, ankles, eyes and pray for forgiveness asn I reply.. "of course i have".. and quietly add..'not'.. but it will be obvious when he arrives.. so this morning at 7:30 I jumped in my pool (fortunately i live in fl and it was toasty warm) then went to the gym...by tomorrow I will be slim and trim and bikini bait.. sure I will!!..oh yes, have to ride the bike the kids bought me for Mothers Day (think they are giving me hints,, lol) so that may perform miracles between now and tomorrow :)i'm widowed so the kids think they are responsible for me..

I think the younger generation has started taking care of themselves much sooner than we thought about it..or most of us thought about it.. they work out, are on zone diets, eat healthier.. I just went to the store to get supplies like whole wheat bagels, yogurt , soy milk, etc.. I know his weakness is Ben and Jerry's chunky monkey ice cream .. lol.. he's coming without his wife so in between some business appts. he has I'll have his undivided attention.. which means more visits to the health club.. lol.... Back to the bikini question.. I think those days are over, but I'll settle for the tankini, which I find very comfortable and you can purchase different size bottoms than tops.. i'm smaller bottom and larger top so they work fine..

Hey, I have a coupla those! Kids, that is. Tofu, Seitan, organic this and that, yeah. They are both in their early to mid 40's and are in great shape from (pick one or all), running, spinning, yoga, aerobics,kick boxing and I think it is great - for them.

I walk when the weather is suitable and belong to a local "women only" 30-minute work-out place where I try to go a coupla times a week. But, mother nature is slapping me around. She and I have a lot of laughs together. I laugh, she snickers!

I wore the tankini up until I was about 54 - and then came the "Big M".....now a conservative one piece does just fine...:o

Yes, younger people who have grown up keeping toned don't understand our problem and for many of us it's a bit late to undo the flab, even when we are not fat.

In high school in the mid sixties so long as you weren't really fat, that was fine; there was no such thing at that time as "hard bodies" for girls, even here in L.A. And we were all wearing girdles back then, too, whether we needed them or not! It was the thing to do! YECCHHH.

Also, some people are just naturally more firm than others throughout their lives despite eating and exercising habits -- and some of our problems are inherited, not weight necessarily but body "type" and problem areas. I will always have my mother's fat knees, for example.

So you are doing the best thing by saying, yes, dear, I've been doing my best at the gym or whatever; and filling your kitchen with "health" foods, maybe if YOU seem convinced you have been shaping up, your son will buy it when he sees you -- and the tankini idea sounds good. I'm the reverse of you, larger on bottom than top -- good to know these pieces are bought separately. Good luck !! You could always tell your son (nicely) to mind his own business;)

Funny!

The OP of this thread was worried about turning 40 and being 5 pounds heavier. so I really believe she would still look great in a bikini! When I was 40, I looked good-(and like the OP worried because I had turned 40 that I didn't) I even looked good and 45! but sometime after that I started going downhill!

I also like the tankinis! Great for us with the not so perfect bodies!

Your son must be something else! I wish my Meg was health conscious! She eats nothing but junk! but so far she has no weight problem-at least as in being over weight! she needs to gain around 25 pounds! Junk food which does us in-does nothing to her!

Funny!

The OP of this thread was worried about turning 40 and being 5 pounds heavier. so I really believe she would still look great in a bikini! When I was 40, I looked good-(and like the OP worried because I had turned 40 that I didn't) I even looked good and 45! but sometime after that I started going downhill!

I also like the tankinis! Great for us with the not so perfect bodies!

Your son must be something else! I wish my Meg was health conscious! She eats nothing but junk! but so far she has no weight problem-at least as in being over weight! she needs to gain around 25 pounds! Junk food which does us in-does nothing to her!

I can just barely remember back to the days of junk food and being'skinny'.. but we are proof that at some point our metabolism slows down.. mine died :D so I have to be very careful not to even look at hot fudge sundaes.. or cheeseburgers and fries.. even a look will be cause to run to the gym!!!

I can just barely remember back to the days of junk food and being'skinny'.. but we are proof that at some point our metabolism slows down.. mine died :D so I have to be very careful not to even look at hot fudge sundaes.. or cheeseburgers and fries.. even a look will be cause to run to the gym!!!

I can't eat that stuff either-anymore.

You are right the kids today are into fad diets and such. Which is not healthy. I grew up in the 70's and I think we were in much better shape back then as kids compared to the kids today. We were more involved in gym classes in school ( which out here in Ca is not required anymore)

and we seemed to walk more because back then we didn't have cars.

It's great that your kids are trying to help you get into shape:) But it has to be a change in lifestyle not fad dietings and working out right before vacation. I have worked out all my life and have never been on a diet. Just watch what you eat and how much. But it has to be your choice.

Good luck!

By the way they do have some really cute bikinis with attached skirts out now. They are quite flattering.

Happy sailing

You are right the kids today are into fad diets and such. Which is not healthy. I grew up in the 70's and I think we were in much better shape back then as kids compared to the kids today. We were more involved in gym classes in school ( which out here in Ca is not required anymore)

It's great that your kids are trying to help you get into shape:) But it has to be a change in lifestyle not fad dietings and working out right before vacation. I have worked out all my life and have never been on a diet. Just watch what you eat and how much. But it has to be your choice.

Good luck!

By the way they do have some really cute bikinis with attached skirts out now. They are quite flattering.

Happy sailing

well I do believe the soy stuff is good-I am eating like host star's son and my blood sugar is great now-I am off diabetes meds. I do not see it as a fad-but a healtheir way of eating that is better for me.

Still though I am not bikini material!

I wish my daughter would eat healthier! She is not overwieght but she has many other health issues and diabetes is in both mine and hubby's family so she does need to think about what she eats.

well I do believe the soy stuff is good-I am eating like host star's son and my blood sugar is great now-I am off diabetes meds. I do not see it as a fad-but a healtheir way of eating that is better for me.

Still though I am not bikini material!

I wish my daughter would eat healthier! She is not overwieght but she has many other health issues and diabetes is in both mine and hubby's family so she does need to think about what she eats.

It's funny that you mentioned diabetes. I was looking for a new cookbook and I came across this wonderful diabetic cookbook. Mind you, no one in our family are diabetic. I can't remember the name of it off hand. But I bought it and have been using it for about 2 years. My son and daughter in law moved in with us for a year so they could save up for a house. While they were living with us I cooked alot of the meals from that cookbook and guess what? They both lost weight. They did not even know I was using the recipes from that book:) Same as normal food, just using low fat cheeses, wheat pasta instead of regular pasta etc. etc. They never new the difference.

But they still exercised also.

It's funny that you mentioned diabetes. I was looking for a new cookbook and I came across this wonderful diabetic cookbook. Mind you, no one in our family are diabetic. I can't remember the name of it off hand. But I bought it and have been using it for about 2 years. My son and daughter in law moved in with us for a year so they could save up for a house. While they were living with us I cooked alot of the meals from that cookbook and guess what? They both lost weight. They did not even know I was using the recipes from that book:) Same as normal food, just using low fat cheeses, wheat pasta instead of regular pasta etc. etc. They never new the difference.

But they still exercised also.

Yep I do all that-but I also drink soymilk in place of whole milk. I do eat the low fat cheese though.

I eat very little pasta but when I do it is this brand called Dreamfields which is whole wheat. It costs considerably more then other brands but it is worth it because it does not run my blood sugar up as much-and I can enjoy pasta occasionially.

If diabetes is in your genes chances are you will still get it-but hopefully you will be 70 and not 35. Watching your diet does delay the onset and helps you to live a fuller happier life.

I never took it seriously until this friend of mine whose mother died at 60, after going on kidney dialyisis and having a leg amputated. her mother was around the same age as me when diagnosed too-her late thirties.

My mother died after having open heart surgery at 71-a side effect of her diabetes, the bad heart. Between those two it was a wake up call for me.

I was about to post earlier about this, but I held back. Here it is :D

My husband was a soy devotee. You know how many things soy is in? Everything. All candy bars, but Payda (that we've found so far) and most of the food we eat everyday. Well Gene has just been diagnosed with a severe soy allergy. I figured it was very rare, but no. My doctor says she has a lot of patients with soy allergies and that they are getting more common with our exposure to soy products.

Not a, "RUN FOR THE HILLS" warning, but a comment that soy is good for you, but like everything else maybe we should consider it in moderation. I now bake most of our bread and cook most of our other foods from whole foods to make sure the soy is out. Makes going out to dinner fun. Not! Sigh.

I don't know so much that people are into fad diets but trying to eat healthy.

Archived