Snorkeling in Roatan

HollyfromSC

Hi!! I am organizing a group and we will be using Victor Bodden Tours in Roatan. We are going to do the Zip Line then to the beach to go snorkeling. Are there places that rent snorkel equipment at the beaches or do we need to bring our own?

Thanks for the help!!

Holly :D

Thanks for answering and the pictures. Where is that dive shop? Is it on the beach where we would be snorkeling and the Bodden Tours would be dropping us off? Any idea how much it costs? I know--I am pain with all these questions!!!

Thanks for answering and the pictures. Where is that dive shop? Is it on the beach where we would be snorkeling and the Bodden Tours would be dropping us off? Any idea how much it costs? I know--I am pain with all these questions!!!

Hola, Just tell your guide you need snorkel equipment. Their cousins probably have that concession.;) From the reviews that I have seen about Senor Bodden, you are in good hands. And don't worry about the cost. There have been more vacations ruined because of money worries. Cut loose and live a little.

$10 seems to be a standard price to rent snorkel equipment. The pictures I posted were from West Bay (where Tabyana and others are).

A number of pictures on the Bodden website are from the same general area, but in the reviews they mention snorkeling at Half Moon Bay which is in West End not West Bay.

Since the website also mentions lunch at Half Moon Bay, my guess would be that he has relatives/friends there.

I would contact Victor and ask if where he is planning on taking your group.

Thank you both for responding and the info. I totally agree about not worrying about money--but since I am organizing 30 people....they all ask me questions about the trip, the prices of stuff, etc. :) It is fun though--and I love reading all the info on this web site. I think I am getting addicted! Only 184 days left! :D

Holly

$10 seems to be a standard price to rent snorkel equipment. The pictures I posted were from West Bay (where Tabyana and others are).

A number of pictures on the Bodden website are from the same general area, but in the reviews they mention snorkeling at Half Moon Bay which is in West End not West Bay.

Since the website also mentions lunch at Half Moon Bay, my guess would be that he has relatives/friends there.

I would contact Victor and ask if where he is planning on taking your group.

So where is the best place for snorkeling??? (we've never been to this port)

So where is the best place for snorkeling??? (we've never been to this port)

The majority of the time, cruisers are brought to West Bay Beach for snorkeling. It is very good and very convenient. At the far west side of the beach, where the sand ends & the "iron shore" (hard rock that is actually reef that has come up out of the water) starts, the reef is virtually right at the shoreline. Makes for pretty snorkeling that is very easily accessible for anyone, even a not-so-strong swimmer. Because of this easy access to some pretty sights, it can get fairly crowded on cruiseship days.

The snorkeling at Half Moon Bay is every bit as pretty, but involves a bit more effort to get to the better reef area. You can either enter walk along the shore to the west (your left as you face the water) and enter when the sand ends; swim out toward the open water & you'll hit the reef. The dropoff/wall (depth drops to 50 feet or so) is about 30 or 40 yards away. Or you can enter at Half Moon Bay cabins (around the point to your right as you face the water); angle across toward the open water. There are some reef heads, brain coral, etc, almost right away, then the deeper water/full coral. It's probably a 100 yard swim from the cabins to the wall.

At either place, watch for boat traffic & a snorkel vest is suggested to help the boaters see you. Maybe a bit more important at Half Moon Bay since snorkelers aren't quite as common there.

As for which is better, it's simply a matter of opinion, tastes, and even the day/time of day (and whether you happen to be in the right place at the right time to luck into seeing something special in the water). For me, on non-ship days I prefer West Bay but on ship days I prefer HMB & the lower number of people (large crowds tend to make the sea life jittery & scarce). I've not done Roatan on a cruiseship, my experiences there have been land-based stays on scuba diving trips.

• 4 weeks later...

We had great snorkeling last week at Half Moon Bay. We rented equipment on the beach for $6 a set. The snorkels were the good ones with the bottom purge valve. We almost had the bay to ourselves. They have a nice shady area with lounge chairs. The water was calm and clear. There was a shallow area that my kids snorkeled in - they saw hundreds of minnows. Great day...

marieadela - They did not have any vests to rent. It was a very "informal" rental situation. Basically a guy had snorkel equipment laid out on a table and you just tried on masks and fins. He probably had a total of 10 sets. We asked if they were clean. Of course he said "yes". When my husband returned the gear when we were done the guy put it right back on the table. Needless to say I don't think it is sterilized. I just made sure I gave it all a good splash in the ocean before I used it. We had a lot of fun snorkeling!

SeaPA 1,

I will be coming into port in December and our ship will be the only one in port that day. Would it really matter which area we went to for snorkeling? Also, which one has a better beach area?

The beach area is definitely nicer at West Bay; there is a long stretch of nice, white sandy beach, lined with palm trees for some shade. I'm just guessing, but it is probably 1/2 mile or so long, maybe a bit more. There are several restaurants & bars along the stretch.

West End/Half Moon Bay beach is smaller, not quite as sandy, but still nice. There is a bit more of a community, with more shops, places to eat, and/or grab a beer.

As for the crowd aspect, it obviously isn't as bad on a 1 ship day, but it will still be a bit more crowded at West Bay, just not like it is on a multiple ship day.

They're close enough together to do both if you so choose. Maybe go to West Bay for swimming & snorkeling, then go to West End & stroll around the community, have a cold Salva Vida or Port Royal (the local beers) & a bite to eat.

• 2 months later...

I went back up and read your post. Since you are going through Bodden you are probably doing the South Shore Canopy as "walk-ups". Gumbalimba's is booked through the cruise line. THe canopy tour of Gumbalimba ends on the beach and it's $10 to snorkel and includes a free guide to show you the reef and vest. There is also Snuba for those who want a little more than just snorkeling.

Currently Snuba is only offered via the cruise ship with Carnival. We are full on those days so no walk-ups. Any other line you can just walk-up to the beach shack (see the map at www.gumbalimbapark.com ). You don't have to visit/pay for the Park but you get to enjoy the beach (and can wander to the restaurant, the authentic Honduran cuisine cook station, and shops).

Archived