Empress of the Seas - Typhoid Fever !!!!

Just saw this on our local (Channel 3) news out of Philly.

Apparently a female crew member (I think they said she is from India) has come down with typhoid fever while working on RCI's Empress of the Seas which is sailing from Philly to Bermuda. It can be spread if you come into contact with infected person handling food or drinks.

The whole news story will be on the 11:00 news.

Did anyone else see this????

Dee

Just saw this on our local (Channel 3) news out of Philly.

Apparently a female crew member (I think they said she is from India) has come down with typhoid fever while working on RCI's Empress of the Seas which is sailing from Philly to Bermuda. It can be spread if you come into contact with infected person handling food or drinks.

The whole news story will be on the 11:00 news.

Did anyone else see this????

Dee

I hope it turns out she's ok! I'll be on her (Empress...not the crew member) in September.

Typhoid fever is transmitted in much the same manner as the Norwalk virus, via food or beverages handled by a contaminated person, except that Typhoid is caused by a bacterium (Salmonella Typhi) rather than a virus. Hopefully the crew member who contracted it is not involved with food preparation or serving. In any case, I'm sure the ship is being sanitized as thoroughly as possible, at least I hope so since I'm sailing on her this Saturday!

According to the 11 pm news last night, the server was a bartender from India, and she became sick on one of the April cruises. The Health Department in Philadelphia said that the cruise line handled it appropriately (antibiotics, restricted to cabin, etc.) and the CDC did not have to be called into the situation. I am sailing the Empress in August and September so I was very interested in this announcement.

Ok, last night's news report said that the female crew member was a bartender!!!!! They said thousands may have come into contact with her. Also, that her roomates have NOT yet come down with typhoid fever. Apparently if left untreated (antibiotics) it can be life-threatening.

Dee

Typhoid is rare indeed.

One thing I've noticed - the Explorer hasn't had any cases of norovirus since she repositioned from Miami to NJ. Hoping the trend continues - we're onboard in three weeks + two days.

I missed the broadcast, but heard about it. Can't seem to find anything online, either. Looked at channel 3 and 10 websites. Anyway, apparently she was on the April 29th cruise we were on and that was before it was known she had typhoid. Not really worried, but was interested in hearing more. Can I get a free cruise now?;) Seriously though, I hope everyone is ok.

One thing I've noticed - the Explorer hasn't had any cases of norovirus since she repositioned from Miami to NJ. Hoping the trend continues - we're onboard in three weeks + two days.

Of course there hasn't been any norovirus on Explorer since moving to Jersey. New Jersey's nickname is "the Garden State". Lots of nice greenery and none of those nasty germs.....:rolleyes:

Archived