Istanbul dock, how close to...?

azkitty

:confused: Does anyone know how close the cruise ship docks are to the Bosphorus ferry and to the Sultanahmet area? Are there taxis waiting near the docks? Is it easy and quick to get to the ferry and Sultanahmet? Are tours really necessary? It is my understanding that one can buy a ferry ticket and go as far as you want with stops. Thanks for any hints, info. and ideas for getting the most for our $$.

MOST cruise ships dock in Karakoy next to the Galata Bridge over the Golden Horn that connects the "old town" area (where you will find Sultanahmet) with the "new town/financial" district of Istanbul. There will be taxis outside the terminal area which are fairly inexpensive (just be sure they turn the meter on unless you negotiate a tour price w/ the driver). On our recent stay pre cruise in IST, we became quite proficient using the public transportation system. It is extremely clean & efficient. Either the tram or bus will take you just about anywhere you'd want to go. The Bosphorus and Prince's Island ferries are located in the "old town" areas at Eminonu & Sirkeci (respectively). The Bosphorus cruise (whether the shorter or the 2/3 day in length) gives you a nice overview of the surrounding area). There is so much to take in if you only have one day as a port of call there that your time will be better spent hiring a driver to take you to the places you really want to see. You can search these boards for IST guides/drivers if you prefer to pre arrange your touring. You obviously want to see the major sites of Sultanahmet (Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace & Grand Bazaar); & this will consume most of your day. We had the luxury of spending a week there (which wasn't enough time in my opinion). If you ever have the time, might I suggest a visit to the Spice Bazaar, the Basilica Cisterns, Dolmabache Palace, Beylerbei Palace (on the Asian side) & a visit to the Prince's Islands. We did spend (a very little) time in the "new town" area; & were not impressed (but that's just MHO). The charm of IST is found in the rich heritage of the old town area & the fabulous people who call it home. Whatever you choose, I hope you come away w/ an appreciation & love the city as I have.

Thanks to you both for all the great info. which I have printed. We have 3-post cruise days in Ist. and want to see the most important sights as well as enjoying some shopping. We like doing things on our own. I lived in Belgium and traveled Europe extensively on my own even before that, so am not that much of a candidate for a tour unless it's the only way to go because of lack of time.

Would you recommend a tour for the night dinner show for folk and belly dancing? Perhaps our hotel can make reservations and arrange taxi service. Is that the best way to go?

Thanks again for your help,

Zella

Archived