Halifax

We are supposed to catch the tail end of Alberto here in Halifax, so it might be a little wet. Right now its nice...sunny (with clouds) and about 20.

Another thing you might want to do is the harbour hopper

http://www.harbourhopper.com/main.html

How long is that harbour hopper tour for? Wouldn't want to go hopping in the rain now would we?--lol--One week to go and then we're coming up to see you.

Heard about taking FRED.... but that doesn't start until July 1st

We will be in Halifax on Sept. 22. Looking for tours etc. Peggy's Cove, the Harbour Hopper, or the Double Decker bus tour. Would the Harbour Hopper and Double Decker bus tour be somewhat the same on the land portion?

Also: what could we mostly expect with the weather?

There's quite a group of us on the Constellation posting on Roll Call.

Thanks for any info.

We will be in Halifax on Sept. 22. Looking for tours etc. Peggy's Cove, the Harbour Hopper, or the Double Decker bus tour. Would the Harbour Hopper and Double Decker bus tour be somewhat the same on the land portion?

Thanks for any info.

email greg@kiwikaboodle.com

He will surely put together a custom day for a small group. Tell him Jane sent you.... Real nice fellow who loves to help you plan something for your interest. KIP & KABOODLE

Touring with Jonathan Duru

http://www.yourcab.ca/index.htm

We had a wonderful tour with Jonathan Duru. He does a great job and we were able to beat all the ships tours in and out of Peggy's Cove. Jonathan was fantastic and I would highly recommend him. You get to see and do so much more with him in a shorter period of time. He wants to make the tour fun and he also wants to make you happy. Below is an email my brother recieved from Jonathan after we returned from our trip. Thought you might enjoy reading it.

JumpinJack

Reply-To: <info@yourcab.ca>

To: "Billy K"

Subject: Greetings from Jonathan/Yourcab

Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:23:46 -0400

Hello Billy, This is Jonathan from Halifax and I thought to give you time

to unpack your bags before sending you a mail to say a very big'Thank you'

for using my company during your short stay in Halifax. I did enjoy your

company very much and you folks were great to work for especially Jay.

Please extend my deep gratitude to all in your family and I hope that our

paths will cross again someday in the course of our life time. Thank you

very much and do have a great day. Yours truly, Jonathan.

PS. Did those Lobsters arrive yet ?

Jonathan, the lobsters made it here and the inlaws loved them. Thank you

for the wonderful tour of your city. I have cc this email to my brother and

we will see if he writes something nice or if the $4.00 for bottle water

made him mad (ha ha). I will visit Halifax again some day. I love the

scenery.

When we were in Halifax in 2004, we took a city tour in an old London Cab.

aberdeen-itw.com/Blackcab

It was not a get in and out tour but did enjoy it and it gave us a feel for the city. (We had booked our own van tour to Peggy's Cove and only had limited time left.) This time, Oct 2006, we are going to walk around on our own so some of the suggestions here are terrific.

I just returned from a HAL Canada/NE cruise. Turns out that Halifax was my favorite port. We took a taxi up to the public gardens where the flowers were in full bloom. It was so beautiful.I highly recommend the public gardens if you enjoy greenery and flowers. Then, we walked back thru town down to the waterfront. Halifax is a great city that is a must see.

is the citadel close to the gardens? i am going to walk around the town or take """fred"" the free bus. i want to see the gardens also but mainly the citadel. then like you go back towards the dock and check things out.

Public Gardens and the Citadel are basically across the road from each other. Here is a map that shows their proximity to each other:

http://halifaxinfo.com/WaterfrontHRMt.pdf

I would go to the Citadel first, then to the Gardens. When you leave the Gardens you can walk down Spring Garden Road (lined with shops, restaurants, etc.) towards the waterfront. :)

We will be there the first week in September. I am sure the gardens will be just as beautiful then.

musicmansmom, According to the map the citadel is right across the street from the public gardens. We plan to visit both. We hope to time our visit to coincide with the noon cannon.

oceanlov1, Were you able to visit the citadel? any pointers? Were you up on deck for the official greeting? If so what was it like?

We will be there the first week in September. I am sure the gardens will be just as beautiful then.

musicmansmom, According to the map the citadel is right across the street from the public gardens. We plan to visit both. We hope to time our visit to coincide with the noon cannon.

oceanlov1, Were you able to visit the citadel? any pointers? Were you up on deck for the official greeting? If so what was it like?

we will pass each other as i get on board and you leave. i cruise out of new york on the 9th of sept. i am planning on being up and ready to see what goes on when we get to the halifax port. it sounds really neat to be greeted by the bagpipe player ( or is it saint john that they do that ?? )and i want to be at the citadel at noon too. have a great time and i know i will too :D .

I'm just finishing a week in Halifax on my second trip here. I wandered down to port of Halifax to check out what goes on when a ship is in. This one was Victory. I see many of the shops in Halifax set up booths in the port for those who want to shop and may be getting on a bus for the day. There also are a number of tours hanging out there. The duk in Halifax is the Harbor Hopper. I haven't taken their tour here, but it looks like fun and doesn't take long. You can walk everywhere, but keep in mind there are some steep hills. The boardwalk has a lot of sailing ships and shopping, as well as some harbor tours. Then again, you can take the ferry across the harbor and back for four bucks. The Citidal is a major attraction. The entrance is closer to Brunswick and Sackville Streets. From the Public Garden you're looking at Garrison Grounds, an empty field. You could walk down Sackville from the gardens. Keep in mind, it's up a hill, sitting about 450 feet above sea level where you started. If you're not in good walking shape, think about the FRED bus or a tour or a taxi.. You can pick up a visitor guide at the Pier as they set up a tourist information center when ships are in. The guide gives you walking tours as well as a schedule of events. Halifax lives on festivals and I'm here for the International Military Tattoo. In addition to the show, which would not work for cruisers, there are free band concerts all over town at noon daily. They have a jazz festival coming up and a buskers festival. There is also the Highland Games, Gathering of the Clans and the CHanging of the Guard, which is a massive one time event to commeorate the Brits marching out of Halifax and leaving the Nova Scotians in charge. In other words. there is almost always something going on.

On the subject of Peggy's Cove...it seems to be what everyone talks about. Problem is, it eats up most of your port stop. We drove down a few years ago and went early to beat the crowds. It was lovely and picturesque. Then the busses came. This small place turns into a fleet of busses disgorging an army of tourists. Everyone is brought into a big restuarant to eat (probably not the gourmet food another poster mention), then funneled into the gift shop. You're then on your own to join the crowd climbing on the rocks and standing in line at the post office. We beat it out of there. Also, you could arrive on a foggy or rainy day and see very little. I think anyone is better off seeing Halifax on their own.

Thanks for any info.

Hi there,

I'm sorry I'm so late getting back to you! I'm not sure if they take the same route but I would say that the Harbour Hopper would be the "funner" of the two :)

As for tours to Peggy's Cove I'm not sure - I've always just gone on my own. Its an easy drive if you decided to get a rental car. Just remember to stay off the wet rocks!!! :)

As for the weather, its still nice in September usually. A few years ago we had a hurricane hit towards the end of September - but it was the only one that has hit us in my 25 years of existence so i wouldn't worry about that.

Let see...what else....I guess everyone tries lobster, but for something different maybe try a donair (very yummy! Its made from hamburger and it has onions and tomatoes and a sweet sauce - all on a pita!) And you MUST get a beavertail :)

Archived