Walking distance bet. PWS terminal & Princess ship terminal in Whittier

Cshell5

Upon arrival in Whittier, I will be taking a PWS cruise before boarding the Island Princess. Info I received from AKRR was that it is a couple of blocks between the two places. (PWS terminal & Princess Terminal) PWS excursion will allow us to store luggage @ their terminal during our excursion. Is it walkable(sp?) with luggage from PWS terminal to Princess terminal in Whittier?? If not, are their taxis or shuttles of some sort??

Thanks.

If you are taking the ARR train to Whittier, you can drop your luggage off at the Princess Parking Lot across the street from the train. The big white bins are for your luggage.

I don't know where the PWS boat loads. I think it is at the end of the main road by the ferry building. It is a short walk, hope it isn't raining sideways for you. I don't know if there's a PWS shuttle, but there are no taxis in Whittier.

You are not going to want to haul your bags to the PWS boat tour operator, just check your bags with the ship, in the white bin as stated above. I always double tag bags when I leave them. :)

It is a very short walk between the areas.

I would also drop off your bags with the cruise line first.

The times I have been to Whittier - they have had a shuttle running up and down the street.

I did a PWS boat trip once and it was at the end of the main street - definitely walk able though I wouldn't want to do it with luggage. The 26 glacier boat trip was a little closer.

Our northbound cruise ends in Whittier, and I was considering taking the 11:00 PWS cruise that goes to Esther Passage, then a shuttle bus to Anchorage afterwards. Now I'm wondering what we'll do to occupy our time for several hours before the PWS cruise, and also about the 2 block walk with luggage to the PWS terminal. Hmmm....maybe we should skip the PWS cruise and head to Anchorage earlier. OR...since we will have already cruised through College Fjord - we could pick-up rental car in Whittier and drive to Seward for the 11:30-5:30 Kenai Fjords cruise and overnight there, then drive to Denali the next day. Good thing the cruise isn't until next summer!

Our northbound cruise ends in Whittier, and I was considering taking the 11:00 PWS cruise that goes to Esther Passage, then a shuttle bus to Anchorage afterwards. Now I'm wondering what we'll do to occupy our time for several hours before the PWS cruise, and also about the 2 block walk with luggage to the PWS terminal. Hmmm....maybe we should skip the PWS cruise and head to Anchorage earlier. OR...since we will have already cruised through College Fjord - we could pick-up rental car in Whittier and drive to Seward for the 11:30-5:30 Kenai Fjords cruise and overnight there, then drive to Denali the next day. Good thing the cruise isn't until next summer!

On second thought - unless Harley's opens before 8 a.m., we wouldn't make it out of Whittier until the 9:00 tunnel - which would be cutting it close for an 11:30 Kenai Fjords cruise, right?

It's 2 hours to Seward from Whittier, you should make a 11:30am tour with the 9am tunnel. But I do not recommend a one way Seward/Denali Park road trip. You are looking at 9 hours on the road with stops. Highly recommended is to overnight in Talkeetna, breaking the distance up and allowing for some extended touring along the way rather than a marathon trip.

Since you are going next year, don't make firm plans now, as you have already found out, the more you find out, the better your trip will eventually be. Allow this research time to refine and refine, keep your options open this early.

If you allow the time, I definately would include a PWS boat tour, you see nothing even close to it from your cruise ship. Seward and a Kenai Fjords boat tour is one of my top recommendations, always a must do for me.

Bottom line, time is needed, see that you get all you can.

It's 2 hours to Seward from Whittier, you should make a 11:30am tour with the 9am tunnel. But I do not recommend a one way Seward/Denali Park road trip. You are looking at 9 hours on the road with stops. Highly recommended is to overnight in Talkeetna, breaking the distance up and allowing for some extended touring along the way rather than a marathon trip.

Since you are going next year, don't make firm plans now, as you have already found out, the more you find out, the better your trip will eventually be. Allow this research time to refine and refine, keep your options open this early.

If you allow the time, I definately would include a PWS boat tour, you see nothing even close to it from your cruise ship. Seward and a Kenai Fjords boat tour is one of my top recommendations, always a must do for me.

Bottom line, time is needed, see that you get all you can.

Thanks again, Budget Queen! I constantly tinker with travel plans, as I love to "refine and refine." The only firm plans I have to make in the near future are frequent-flyer reservations some time in July - and I have been known to change dates and flights on those after ticketing, too. I am pretty sure we'll fly home from Anchorage, but the return date isn't definite. As for our before cruise plans, I've been all over the map of Canada! I think any Canadian Rockies plans will have to wait for a vacation that's not connected with a cruise. My latest thinking is to divide 4 nights between Victoria and Vancouver - flying to Victoria first, then taking the ferry to Vancouver.

Archived