New York-Where to eat dinner?

perkyblue

I'm sorry, I feel bad for starting so many threads about this, but the search still doesn't work and I hate that I can't just edit the title of my previous thread! Anyway, my dad is sending me some extra money for the trip, so I no longer need to keep my dinner in New York under $40. (Although if there's a good and inexpensive place, that would be great!)

So now I'm open to all suggestions! What is your favorite place to eat near the Crowne Plaza Hotel?

If you tell me where the Crowne Plaza Hotel is, I'll think of some places.

Is there any particular reason you want to eat near your hotel?

Other questions:

Will you be dining alone?

Are there any cuisines you love? Hate?

Do you like "in" spots or simply quiet spots?

The Crowne Plaza is near Times Square at Broadway and 49th. I want to eat near the hotel because I'm not sure how much time we'll have that evening (Our flight arrangements have not been finalized by TA yet.) and because I've never been to NY, so I'm not at all familiar with the area and I don't want to pay a fortune for a taxi to and from the restaurant.

I'll be dining with my brother. I love just about everything, but especially seafood and Italian. I like both "in" spots and quiet spots, but since I'll be with my brother I'd like to avoid any place with a very romantic atmosphere.

TIA for any suggestions you have!

Two suggestions. Neither is in Times Square, but neither is more than $5 or $6 away in a cab, I don't think.

If you are looking to treat yourself, try Asia de Cuba. It's Asian/Spanish fusion food. The coconut sticky rice is amazing, and it's just a side (and I hate coconut). Not ridiculously expensive, and it's something different. It's somewhere around Park Ave and 40th Street -- definitely walkable.

For something more reasonable but still very good, try Bistango. It's an Italian place around 29th and Third Ave. Everything I've ever had here has been great, but I recommend the Chicken Valdostano, which is chicken breast with mozzarella, prosciutto, and pine nuts on top of it. Really tasty vegetables, too. Not a romantic Italian place, more like a fun one.

Perky,

I've got 2 great recommendations for you:

Trattoria Del'Arte on 7th Ave betw. 56th & 57th Street

7th Ave is one block from Broadway, so it's an easy walk from your hotel.

It's a very lively italian place with terrific food, including seafood. You can eat at the bar (with their amazing anti-pasta in full view) or sit at a table.

Their lobster pizza is one of my favorite items. Sit at the bar, it's lots of fun.

Their website is http://www.trattoriadellarte.com/contact.html and/or www.redeyegrillgroup.com Red Eye is also good, but I like Trattoria Del'Arte better.

Another place you'd enjoy is Ruby Foos on 49th and Broadway

It's a multi-asian restaurant and you can get alot of seafood dishes. It's alot of fun too. website is www.brguestrestaurants.com

I'll disagree with some of the other recommendations. Carmines is best for a group of at least 6 people. Dishes are served "family style" and going with two people just isn't much fun, you'll end up sharing one dish.

Bistango is an okay place. I go there sometimes because I live nearby. But IMHO, it's not worth taking a taxi to and then back to your hotel.

Asia de Cuba is excellent but probably out of your budget. It'll easily run you between $60-$75 per person with tax and tip.

Jane

Good, glad you like the recommendation.

You and your brother can sit at the bar, order a loster pizza and a salad and split them. Add some wine and some great people watching (it's a very lively place) and you'll have a great time within your budget.

Mangia!

Jane

I'm sorry, I feel bad for starting so many threads about this, but the search still doesn't work and I hate that I can't just edit the title of my previous thread! Anyway, my dad is sending me some extra money for the trip, so I no longer need to keep my dinner in New York under $40. (Although if there's a good and inexpensive place, that would be great!)

So now I'm open to all suggestions! What is your favorite place to eat near the Crowne Plaza Hotel?

You do mean $40 per person correct?

I'll ditto the recommendation for Trattoria d'elle Arte. GREAT anti pasta bar!

Archived