Disembarkation warning

Hobbit

Hello Heywood,

I have a car service that I use all the time. They are extremely reliable.

The name is Transtar Executive and the phone is 1 800 894 7827. They charge me $100. but I live 50 miles from NYC. Limo's are regulated by a commission and have a set amount they can charge. It won't hurt to give them a call and inquire about transport.

Hope this helps out.

Sue

PS: We are traveling in August also! Could we be on the same crossing?

That may be true in NJ but limo prices in NY are not regulated at all. Carmel is in NY also look up Brooklyn Heights/Heights Hill Car service.

PBrown - where is the Carmel limo service? In N.Y. I presume - do you have the phone #. I'm noting these for our crossing next year.

Yes, I found them through Google as I'm not familiar with NYC at all. Just point and click. Telephone is 1-800-9CARMEL or 212-666-6666

I'm so excited about this trip, I couldn't wait until next year!

Can someone please help

I will be on the June 27th crossing to New York and doing self help in New York.Not sure what time we would get off and through customs 8am maybe?

If there are no yellow cabs and only a limo service waiting will they give you the price in advance?will that price include tips?and what sort of price would i be looking at to get to west 57th st.

many thanks

Can someone please help

I will be on the June 27th crossing to New York and doing self help in New York.Not sure what time we would get off and through customs 8am maybe?

If there are no yellow cabs and only a limo service waiting will they give you the price in advance?will that price include tips?and what sort of price would i be looking at to get to west 57th st.

many thanks

Yesterday they had cued yellow cabs in a waiting area and there were plenty at 10 am.

As for a limo they will be there and you will get a price before you enter, from my understanding to 57th street it will be in the $40-60 range. Personally since its so much more than a cab, I assume they have added the tip. A cab to the same point should be about $25.00 plus toll and tip. It should be a pretty fast trip- through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel straight up the west side to 57th street... and turn right...

Yesterday they had cued yellow cabs in a waiting area and there were plenty at 10 am.

As for a limo they will be there and you will get a price before you enter, from my understanding to 57th street it will be in the $40-60 range. Personally since its so much more than a cab, I assume they have added the tip. A cab to the same point should be about $25.00 plus toll and tip. It should be a pretty fast trip- through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel straight up the west side to 57th street... and turn right...

Many thanks for the reply.

I hope the yellow cabs are there at about 8, when i docked on the west side i could walk to the hotel in 10 minutes.

Thanks again

see my post above. Since its more than twice what a cab costs, its my personal belief that the tips are included. But if you have a lot of luggage and the driver is particularily helpful, I would give more. I rarely tip limo drivers because they charge so much more.

see my post above. Since its more than twice what a cab costs, its my personal belief that the tips are included. But if you have a lot of luggage and the driver is particularily helpful, I would give more. I rarely tip limo drivers because they charge so much more.

The best way to handle this is to ask the limousine company when you do the booking whether the gratuities are included. I find they rarely are but on occasion I have found they are included.

As to the difference in cost, yes the cost is more than twice the cost of a taxi -- but then a taxi is usually not a luxury vehicle such as a Lincoln Town Car or a high-end Mercedes with a large boot in which to store luggage.

Personally, I always tip the chauffeur unless he really does nothing exceptional. However, since my wife uses a cane to walk, they usually are most willing to assist with the luggage. Although it may seem counter-intuitive to some, I find that if you settle the bill and the gratuity with the chauffeur at the start of the journey -- you will be amazed as how a gratuity will cause an "attitude improvement" on the part of the chauffeur.

The best way to handle this is to ask the limousine company when you do the booking whether the gratuities are included. I find they rarely are but on occasion I have found they are included.

As to the difference in cost, yes the cost is more than twice the cost of a taxi -- but then a taxi is usually not a luxury vehicle such as a Lincoln Town Car or a high-end Mercedes with a large boot in which to store luggage.

Personally, I always tip the chauffeur unless he really does nothing exceptional. However, since my wife uses a cane to walk, they usually are most willing to assist with the luggage. Although it may seem counter-intuitive to some, I find that if you settle the bill and the gratuity with the chauffeur at the start of the journey -- you will be amazed as how a gratuity will cause an "attitude improvement" on the part of the chauffeur.

with respect, there are some NY cabs that are mercedes benz's. The luxury limo doesn't have to have a medilion that costs $475,000 to buy. The cost of gas and insurance is the same and the cost of the car is not that much more than the cab vehicle. So when they charge twice as much they have already made the tip part of the fare no matter what the company says. Very few limo owners are employees. They owe the car, I really tip the boss...

with respect, there are some NY cabs that are mercedes benz's. The luxury limo doesn't have to have a medilion that costs $475,000 to buy. The cost of gas and insurance is the same and the cost of the car is not that much more than the cab vehicle. So when they charge twice as much they have already made the tip part of the fare no matter what the company says. Very few limo owners are employees. They owe the car, I really tip the boss...

I apologize foir an almost incomprehensive post but I was running out the last sentence two sentences should read

"They own the car and I rarely tip the boss". For the cabs its slightly different the cab rates are set by the Taxi and Limo Commission and they assume that people will tip 15%. Also until 20 years ago, the cab drivers were employees and got about 1/2 of the fare and got to keep the tips. The employer paid the gas and the upkeep on the cab. Now its what is called horse hire. The driver pays anywhere from $100-150 per shift for the use of the cab. He/she has to pay for the gas and gets to keep whatever he/she collects(meter fare or tip). So until the driver has booked at least $150(meter and tips)

they have made nothing.

The limos work out of a central station. They pay part of the call to the central station but most(not all) limo drivers own their own limo. Sorry this is probably more than you want to know about this.

Hi NorthernNeighbor,

This is Maria from Brooklyn. I am curious. Did you use the Promenade Car Service when you arrived at the Red Hook piers? And if you did, what was your experience - good or bad.

Thank you,

Maria

We had intended to use the Promenade Service after dis-embarkation. At the last minute, we decided instead to take the Cunard bus for the Hilton which was departing momentarily.

We had spent the best part of two hours in the immigration queue (no fault of Cunard but in a way it was since Cunard was desparate to get everyone off the ship so they could depart earlier than usual on a charter cruise) with the non-Americans and were in no mood to wait around further with hundreds of dis-embarking passengers. The Americans-only queue went fairly fast since most passengers on our crossing were Europeans.

However, I did give my information about calling them to our table mates from New York who were elderly and had difficulty in walking. She was calling them from her cell phone as we boarded the Cunard bus.

Anyone reading this post, be careful NOT to call any limousine service until AFTER you have cleared immigration. The police at the Broooklyn Terminal are not letting any limousine drivers wait around -- the passengers have to be ready to board when they arrive. Or else, the driver has to go park the limousine and wait around for the passengers to dis-embark. And -- given the "zoo" atmosphere the Immigration authorities have created in processing everyone, who knows when that will be?

I did speak to the owner of Promenade Service before we departed who said they would have plenty of cars on a Sunday morning dis-embarkation. I will not hesitate to call them in future if I have to dis-embark in Brooklyn.

We are coming in on Oct.10 to NY. Does any one know how much a cab / limo from La Guardia Airport to the Ramada Plaza is, I think its on 34 St.. Also what is cosidered a proper tip?:)

the Cab is about 35.00 a proper tip is 15-20%. A prearranged limo will be about $60.00...unprereserved limos are not allowed at the airports.

Hello Heywood,

I have a car service that I use all the time. They are extremely reliable.

The name is Transtar Executive and the phone is 1 800 894 7827. They charge me $100. but I live 50 miles from NYC. Limo's are regulated by a commission and have a set amount they can charge. It won't hurt to give them a call and inquire about transport.

Hope this helps out.

Sue

PS: We are traveling in August also! Could we be on the same crossing?

Sue, I'm sailing on the Labor Day Cruise. I called Transtar yesterday to get a quote from Long Island (Wantaugh) to Red Hook. The fare is $123 plus 20% gratuity plus 8% fuel surcharge plus tolls. One way fare comes out to about $159. I'm still looking around for another service but at least this one knows where the Brooklyn Terminal is (and is willing to go there). If I find any other car services that will go to Red Hook, I'll post here.

Hope everyone is well.

Jo

Hello Jo,

The $100. price was from Huntington (close to NSP) to JFK. A little closer and more convenient than to access than BCT. There is another post regarding permits for car services to enter the terminal area for pick up. If you find another service it may be wise to inquire whether they have the permit to enter the gates at the terminal. I understand it's quite a hike to the gates from the terminal.

Have a great trip. We leave in less than two months. Can't wait!

Sue

Sue, I'm sailing on the Labor Day Cruise. I called Transtar yesterday to get a quote from Long Island (Wantaugh) to Red Hook. The fare is $123 plus 20% gratuity plus 8% fuel surcharge plus tolls. One way fare comes out to about $159. I'm still looking around for another service but at least this one knows where the Brooklyn Terminal is (and is willing to go there). If I find any other car services that will go to Red Hook, I'll post here.

Hope everyone is well.

Jo

no tolls to Red hook. Long Island is an Island Brooklyn(kings county) is the western most part of that island(no kidding)...

Having just returned from the june 9th QM2 crossing, the red hook peir is an adventure, not so much the actual pier, but trying to get from NYC to Red Hook. Cabs just won't go there, you have to get in and then tell them where to go. Don't ask first, they have to take you there. We ended up with a car service (Carmel) from Manhattan to Red Hook.

Once you get through the battery tunnel, its like snaking through someones nieghborhood to find the ship, one lane each driection streets going through a nieghborhood in transition. I would want to get off the ship and try take take public trasnportation.

The first thing our check in person said was "sorry for making come all the way out here"...it made many think they were going to eventually go back to Manhattan (i doubt it). Its a nice view of lower manhattan, but quick sail out under the verazzano and out to sea. No comparison to the sail down the hudson. And the statue of liberty is in the distance...sad for all those who never sailed the proper departure from NY.

... Don't ask first, they have to take you there. We ended up with a car service (Carmel) from Manhattan to Red Hook.

Once you get through the battery tunnel, its like snaking through someones nieghborhood to find the ship, one lane each driection streets going through a nieghborhood in transition. I would want to get off the ship and try take take public trasnportation.

LOL it IS someone's neighborhood. has been for years. I assume you meant you wouldn't want to take public transportation....but that is what the Cabs are! I also get a laugh when people say NYC for Manhattan only. Brooklyn became part of NYC in 1896 and there are allot of Brooklynites who think that Brooklyn got a raw deal at that...

hi heywood

if you want to leave your email address i can contact you diret with all the details etc

i had a very good deal from long established company

cunard have helped with all i need to disembark etc and what time they should meet us

I would also appreciate any info on the limos. Am booking my 87 y/o father and his new "bride" on the October 12 Canada/New England cruise.

Please send to karalun@earthlink.net

A couple more questions?

Wondering if anyone has used the ship's transfers to the airport?

Need a good precruise hotel too?

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can give me to make this a memorable trip.

Hello Jo,

The $100. price was from Huntington (close to NSP) to JFK. A little closer and more convenient than to access than BCT. There is another post regarding permits for car services to enter the terminal area for pick up. If you find another service it may be wise to inquire whether they have the permit to enter the gates at the terminal. I understand it's quite a hike to the gates from the terminal.

Have a great trip. We leave in less than two months. Can't wait!

Sue

Sue, thanks for clarifying the fare issue and reminding me about the permit needed to enter the terminal. I definitely don't want to walk from the gates to the terminal. My friend who lives on Long Island is researching other car services and I've told her about the permit issue.

With all the hassle about getting to the terminal, I'm seriously thinking about using a Cunard transfer from midtown Manhattan (I can take the train in from up north to Grand Central Terminal and meet up with the Cunard bus). Anyone out there know if Cunard provides transfers from Grand Central Terminal or somewhere in midtown Manhattan to the pier?

Thanks to everyone for the useful information and advice. 79 days and counting!

Jo

Archived