Specialty Restaurants

azkitty

:confused: Is there an extra charge or expected amount of tipping in the specialty restaurants? Crystal charged a set amt. of a tip pp, not much, $10 pp I think, but I had not heard anything about Oceania's policy. If there is a tip, is it added to your cruise chg. acct. or is it a cash tip?

There is no extra charge and no tipping in the specialty restaurants. In fact, there is no tipping anywhere on the ship, except that an 18% charge is added to any drinks purchased. A standard tip of $11.50 per day per person is also added to your shipboard account.

And I might add that the specialty restaurants are the one thing that we LOVED about Oceania. Many other problems that we won't go into here, but the speciality restaurants are wonderful and we were lucky enough to get in (or order room service from them) almost anytime we wanted.

I read a very favorable review of Oceania on another site. The one negative he had was the Polo Grill. He said the steaks are the"thin grocery store kind." Is this true?

Right on, Frank! Our experience while dining at least six times in Polo has been continually superb - steak quality rivaling Ruth's Chris and other "name brand" steak houses! Oceania's reputation for having the finest cuisine afloat is well-deserved.

Mike

And I might add that the specialty restaurants are the one thing that we LOVED about Oceania. Many other problems that we won't go into here, but the speciality restaurants are wonderful and we were lucky enough to get in (or order room service from them) almost anytime we wanted.

Seemed like you were either very lucky or very well connected to order from or eat in the specialty restraunts like you did. I would be interested in hearing about the other problems you may have had and which ship you were on.

I read a very favorable review of Oceania on another site. The one negative he had was the Polo Grill. He said the steaks are the"thin grocery store kind." Is this true?

I think they are as good as you would get in any good steak house on land. The big cut of Prime Rib is HUGE! They use ONLY Prime beef also.

When Frank started Oceania..he said to me Carnival is known as the fun ships..I want Oceania to be known as the food ships..You have done that Frank..and superbly if I might add...

Jan

Hi Mike and Jan,

I totally agree -- we even had dinner two nights in the Tapas restaurant (buffet) and I had rare roast beef which was comparable to any fine restaurant in L.A. where I have dined.

Sheila

P.S. Looking foward to returning to Oceania to taste the new menus!

Archived