Duct Tape, Collapsible Water Bottles, Hi-lite Pens, Anything Else?

mahreeya

I put all the suggestions together in Microsoft Word to form a complete list so no one else has to go through all 23 pages if they don't want to.

I hope it helps. Happy Cruising!!!!:D

The List:

• I take post-ems notes: to stick on the mirror to communicate with the room steward when I don't see him or with other in the cabin. I also use them to label the drawers and shelves with names,etc

I take 2 over the door clear hanging shoe bags. One for shoes on the outside of the bathroom door, one for the inside of the bathroom for misc. stuff due to limited counter & closet space.

Extension cord, power strip, hair dryer if you want good power, back pack, disposable & waterproof cameras, first aide kit, medicines, bonine, sunscreen and aloe vera gel, lotion, hanging cosmetic/shaving kits. I take a full size but plastic blender that is light weight and inexpensive.

I take some sort of inexpensive door decoration to make recognizing our door easier and use a putty to attach it.

• Zip lock bags, duct tape, hi-lighter pens (to hi-light activities on the ship in the newsletter), collapsible water bottles, hand sanitizer, lavender oil, room fresheners, insulated cup holders

• Benedryl gel, night light or small flashlight, bungee cords: to hold the balcony door open

• a small, collapsible cooler to take drinks into port to ensure we have drinks we like.

• I have a small travel kit with assorted toiletries and keep a night light in it. That is handy at a hotel or on a cruise as it can be left on in the bathroom (like we do at home) and if you get up in the middle of the night you don't need to turn on the bright light.

• Bungee cords! Can be used to keep your balcony door open, and are really handy to hold your towel down on deck when it's windy! Also Downy Wrinkle Release, a small travel steamer, lots of plastic clothes hangers (they never give you enough, and sometimes you can't take them off the closet pole!) Also some clothes pins, handy to hang up your bathing suits or whatever if you have a clothes line in your shower. Post it notes, great to leave your room steward requests when you are leaving the room and he or she will be in to clean your room while you are gone.

• Uses for the Duct Tape: I read that it is useful to identify luggage, fix luggage, tape the shower curtain to the floor so it doesn't stick to your butt when you shower, and to hem pants. I think it also makes a good lint remover if you wrap it around your hand sticky side out, and rub over the linted area.

• I love to take door dec. Remember all doors are metal on the ship, so I use magnet printer paper. Yes most places sells it.. You can custom design on your computer what you want.. In May I did a big sign that had my cruise critic names on it.. date and ship... Then I did a bunch of small cutie ones.. Like a cup of coffee, bottle of whine, waiter, Hamburger, french frys, Malt shake, all on one 8x10 and cut them out.. so they can be placed on differant areas of the door. Everyone who came by my cabin LOVED THEM.. and the last day a few of them came up missing.. That was ok with me..
    You can even make special ones that read,, DO NOT ENTER ... or LATE SLEEPER TODAY.. We had about 15 people on my last cruise who used my idea ...

• Suction cup hooks are handy for extra hanging capacity, particularly for wet stuff in the Bathroom.

• A shower cap so you don't have to wash and dry your hair after a quick shower, and some antihistamines in case you have an allergic reaction to something. Also, don't forget the Tums or Rolaids in case you try a new food which doesn't agree with you!

• We also include a small air freshner for the bathroom...one that can be opened or closed as needed. Extension cords are a must and a power strip is a great idea.

• roll of quarters (used in laundry room),

• We like to bring binoculars to get a closer look when pulling in or out of port. The new spray bandaid works great for blisters, or if you have a wound and still want to snorkel in the warm water.

• My wife likes to bring one of everything in the house!!

• One thing I am never without when I go on a cruise and that is ALCOHOL WIPES.As soon as I arrive in my cabin,out come these 'little wonders' and I clean the phone,the door handles,the TV remote,the bathroom cabinet door handles...in fact anywhere that can be touched by hands.

Just think of all the germs left behind by the previous passengers....they could have had a roaring cough and cold or even worse!! Since I started using these alcohol wipes(which are used in hospital isolation wards)I have stopped catching colds on board.

Don't forget to pack some scissors in your checked luggage,if you are flying!

· i always travel with a small flashlight, a map of the area we're going to and a tiny journal to keep notes (or maybe my pda this time). and zip bags..the really large ones are great to keep inspector's paws out of your undies. take a sewing kit...2 needles, a yard or so of threads to match your clothes, cheap scissors, steam-a seam tape (great to 'save those hems') alwrapped around a small piece of cardboard. also i try to have some way of carrying my room "key" safely and not lost in the bottom of my purse somewhere

· I have a small coiled extension cord with a double plug end that I take. The wall plug in never seems to be in the right place for what I need for my hair dryer, curling iron, camera battery charger, etc.

· duct tape can be an emergency strapless bra

· I also bring preprinted address labels for friends & family to whom I plan to send postcards. And, speaking of pre-printed, I bring personal address cards with address, phone number & email address for new friends I meet on board with whom I'd like to stay in touch.

· Always bring a travel size can of Lysol spray!! You can buy the small ones at travel stops along an interstate or major highway.

· I always take a little bottle Woolite to wash out my swimsuits each day - it's also a nice thing to have just in case you spill something on your shirt or pants at dinner and don't want to pay to have it cleaned by the cruiseline.

· - Benadryl for allergic reactions

- Lomotil for Aztec two-step

- Duct tape

- ZipLok bags (I keep my digital camera in one to prevent condensation on and in it when going outside)

- Little hand-held battery fan (they REALLY come in handy during muster drill)

- Post-it notes

- Suction hooks

- Clothesline and wooden clothespins (if we have a balcony)

- Wine

- Business cards we've printed with our names and email address (to give to new friends)

- Witz box to keep money, boarding pass, credit card, etc. in while ashore

- Smallest Swiss Army Knife

- Pre-addressed postcard labels and return address labels

- Small plastic basket (really helps organize if there's no vanity drawer)

- Paperback books

- Small mini maglite

- Small travel alarm clock

· Also, they now have out small bottles of sunscreen that have a clip attached to them. You can have it hooked to the bag you carry with you so it is always where you can find it.

· I always carry a little plastic thingy that usually comes with a loaf of bread... the thing that keeps it closed... it is great for keeping the curtains closed tightly and super tiny to pack.

· don't forget to take along hand sanitizer...i always get the tiny bottles in the .99 cent rack in wally world. you should also remember bug repellent if you're going south...it helps at the beach.

sunscreen!!!!!!! that's a must!!!

· Since Most room keys are now the kind that are the credit card type (at least on NCL), I would suggest either a small purse that can be worn over your body, or there is a thing (don't know what to call it) that will hang around your neck (often used for company ID cards)/ I have seen some cases at the dive shop that are supposed to be water proof and would hold a credit card and a little money.

· tums, travel sized pain reliever, throat lozenges

· My husband and I sometimes like to go in different directions once in Port, so walkie talkies with at least a two mile range are very useful. If we get hung up or I need help, we are able to communicate. He even wears his on his belt in a waterproof cell phone bag while snorkeling and I am lounging by the pool on board. If he has found something interesting and wants to stay out longer, it keeps me from worrying that he has been "lost at sea" or eaten by a giant clam! Just be a good citizen and keep the volume down low so as not to offend the sensibilites of other passengers. It helps to buy a pair with a lot of channels (50+) to avoid being rudely reminded that Joe Blow "owns" the channel you just used. (Like with 5 ships in port and an extra 11,000 people running around that won't happen - NOT!!!)

· A rain poncho

· A friend of mine gave me this one to me last night at dinner - toothpicks. Being a true Texan toothpicks are just something I take for granted as being there. I would hate to have to go all the way back to my cabin just to get the floss if a toothpick would do.

· I take a "laundry" kit with me, in a zip loc bag I put 2 rolls of quarters, 4 dryer sheets and some of those solid laundry tablets, any quarters left over I use in the slot machines. I hate to come home and face 2 suitcases full of dirty clothes. Also we never pack all of Jim's clothes in one suitcase or all of mine in the other. You never know if one or the other suitcase will get lost in transit and you will be stuck with no clothes. I also love gallon size Zip Loc bags for packing toiletries or lingerie. I carry some empty ones along, I take a few pieces of fruit for days in ports (I am diabetic) in my Zip Loc bags and I order cold sandwiches from room service or make sandwiches out of bagels and cold cuts on the breakfast buffet, great money saver until you decide where you are going to eat at the port, cuts down on that "desperation" meal you pay too much for because you're starving. I'll never forget the time we were on a snorkeling trip that ran a little long and the looks we got from fellow passengers while we were eating a banana and bagel sandwiches. I also make sure I carry pepto bismal, immodium, tylenol and a travel alarm. I am ordering a travel alarm/flashlight from a healthcare catalog (Roaman's-by Dr. Leonard) for $3.99 to use on my next cruise, I don't know how many times one of us had flipped on the lights and woke up the other using the restroom at 2:00 AM.

Also ladies that get acrylic nails. You should carry superglue and the same polish color you come on the cruise with in case you have to get a repair in the salon or if you have to fix a chip in your toenail polish. Nothing worse than knocking off bright red toenail polish while you're out at the beach and having a big white spot on your toenail the rest of the cruise - always good to be prepared!

· If you wear eyeglasses or contacts, you may want to take a backup pair. Since I don't (the prescription in the old ones changed so much), I have my eyeglasses checked and tightened by a professional the week before I leave. Of course I try to keep from leaning overboard and looking straight down into the water. With my luck they'll come sliding off!

· alcohol pads

Anbesol

baby wipes

baby powder

back pack

bandaids

bathing suit cover up

bathing suits

batteries

Benadryl for allergic reactions

binoculars

bottle sleeve/bottle carrier

bug spray/wipes

bungee cords

Business cards printed with names and email address (to give to new friends)

cameras (disposable, waterproof, digital, charger) - Mark Camera with name

check book

cell phone and charger

clothesline

clothespins

collapsible cup

collapsible cup

conditioner (hair)

cotton swaps

cotton balls

credit cards

Croakies for eyeglasses

daytime clothes

dental floss

deodorant

dollar bills for tips to room service, sky cap, luggage handlers

downy wrinkle releaser

Downy Wrinkle Release,

dresses

dryer sheets

duct tape

emery boards

evening bag

evening clothes

extension cord

extra contacts

extra contact solution

eye glasses

Fabreeze

facial toner

facial cleanser

Fan handheld battery (they REALLY come in handy during muster drill)

fanny pack

fish food

flash light

frisbee or kite

hair gel

hairspray

hand sanitizer

Hemorrhoid medication

high lighter pens

HOLE PUNCHER

insulated travel mug

insulated lunch bag

iron

Iron on tape

itty bitty book light

jewelry

Kaopectate

LANYARD OR CORD TO WEAR AROUND NECK with room key

lavender pack and/or oil (to help sleep)

Laxative

Lomotil for Aztec two-step

Lysol

makeup

mesh bag for laundry

moisturizer

money

Neosporin

night light to keep in bathroom; the rooms get really dark at night

nighties

notebook

pack of playing cards

pants

Paperback books

pen

Pepto bismal tablets

plastic clothes hangers

plastic basket small (really helps organize if there's no vanity drawer)

pool toys

post it notes

Post it notes

pre cut sheets of aluminum foil

Preaddressed postcard labels and return address labels

prescription drugs

Q tips

rain ponchos

reading material

reading glasses

room freshener

shampoo

Shoe bag - Over the door

shoes

shorts

Shout stain wipes (spot remover wipes)

skirt

sneakers

stamps

Stapler (small)

Suction cup hooks

sun block

sunglasses

swim shoes

swim float

Swiss Army Knife

Toilet seat covers

Toiletry bag

toothbrushes

toothpicks

tops

Travel Documents

Travel steamer (small)

Travel alarm clock that lights up

tweezers

Tylenol

underwear

watch on key chain

water proof carrying case thing that goes around your neck

water bottles

wine bottle opener

Witz box to keep money, boarding pass, credit card, etc. in while ashore

Woolite (small bottle) to rinse bathing suits

ZIP lock bags - 2 gallon size for wet clothes, dirty clothes. Press all the air out and seal.

ZipLock bags (small for digital camera in one to prevent condensation

· vitamins. Gotta stay healthy while on board!!!!

· If you forget your nite-lite, you might try this. On Royal Caribbean's Voyager Class ships, the TV has several music channels with no picture. Turn the sound all the way down. When your eyes adjust to the dark, you'll notice a faint glow from the tube which will just barely illuminate the room but not interfere with your sleep. This might work on other cruise lines as well. Please note that on many ships, turning the bathroom light off will also affect the plugs in the bathroom, so a nite-lite would not work.

· Don't forget safety pins and a small sewing kit. And a bottle of champagne for a bon voyage party! and dancing shoes? I am getting carried away!

· Take a couple of letter sized pieces of cardboard and an large envelope for storing your shipboard photos. They won't get bent or have the corners turned up when you get home.

· Just got back from my fantastic Alaskan cruise and the suggestions here made a huge difference! Gotta say that if you plan on bringing an air freshener, don't do what I did and bring one of those gel fresheners with the raspberry scent. You know the kind... looks like a plastic christmas tree where you pull the top up, revealing the gel underneath. Well, I made the brilliant decision to place the air freshener into the luggage with the dirty laundry on the way home and upon opening it was engulfed in the stink reminiscent of some very old and well-used outhouses. I'll have to lysol out the luggage as well as let it air out to get the stench out. Maybe I should have brought the regular neutralizer instead.

· Some things to add to your lists if your going to Alaska...Coat, Warm Hat, and Gloves.

Last time we were there it was cold when you went out on deck to see the glaciers.

After all you are sitting in a big glass of ice water.

· an umbrella. One of those little ones that folds to about 6 inches

· I love those mesh pop up laundry baskets that you twist up and lay flat. They take up no room at all in the suitcase. You can open them up and stick them in the closet so your laundry isn't all over the room.

· Over the door clear shoe holder - DEFINITELY the BEST thing we took with us. We hung it over the closet door & put our cameras, suntan lotion, cell phones, clothes roller etc. in it. Pack it!

· This was probably mention here, but I bought a cigarette case. Fit anything and everything i needed (cruise card, money, credit cards, etc).

· I also like to take my bath scrubbie and shower gel.

· Plenty of C - A - S - H !!! If you're going to have a balcony, a small clothesline and pins will help you dry your wet stuff faster, as well as keeping it out of the bathroom.

Most important - Take ZipLok freezer bags large enough to seal your camera inside. When you go from the cool ship into the hot, humid Hawaiian (or Caribbean) air, or from your room onto your balcony, your camera will form condensation - both outside and inside. Especially if you have a digital, use the ZipLoc bags. Try to get as much air out of the bag as possible when you zip it. Then leave the camera inside the plastic bag until it warms up. Any condensation will form on the soft plastic, instead of inside and on the camera. If you're in a hurry to warm it up (for example, to take a sunrise or sunset photo), you can warm the camera under your arm. Try this. It works, and will save you having to replace your digital camera too soon.

· You might think about a Mr. Clean magic eraser sponge. It will take marks off of shoes and some bags. If kids write on walls, erase it!

A scarf for your head/ears on windy days. A hat.

Hair ties, detangler.

Feminine products and meds.

A small travel/language guide if going 'alone' instead of booking a shore excursion.

Pack of mini 'one-use' tubes of crazy glue. Good for buttons on loose thread, hems, glasses repair (temporary), fingernails, etc

glasses screwdriver kit

card game

and finally a BIG SMILE!!! We're going cruisin', gotta looove it!!!!

· bubble wrap for the breakables you take home

8x10 or larger manilla envelope with cardboard insert to keep the pics you buy from being torn or kinked.

· I take a combination lock or bike lock to use to lock my beach bag while I swim. You can lock it to a lounge or a tree limb. The type of lock depends on your beach bag. You've got to be sure it can't be opened.

· A couple of ideas for room key carrying

1) A small Business Card holder is nice and elegant and CHEAP

2) if you live in a metro area you can buy a "Metro Card/Subway pass" Holder

· I take my own beach towel. When you are faced with a sea of towels on deck from the ship that all look the same, it's hard to find your spot. Not only that, but a lost towel will cost you $25 or so. I'd rather "lose" my $5 walmart towel, although that's never happened yet (knocking on wood). I then use the cruise line beach towels in my cabin as bath towels.

· We have just returned from our first cruise, and the nylon mesh tote bag ($1.50 at flea market) came in very handy. From carrying our towels, water bottles, lotion on excursions to packages of nick-knacks and assorted must have gifts to the heavy-hauling of the 6 lg bottles of liquor we bought off of the ship at the end of the cruise, it was a winner. I had been searching for a cotton one when I ran accross the nylon (small diameter braid that would contract and elongate when put under a load) and settled on it instead. Now I am happy I did not find the cotton.

Don't forget to take your own bottled water - and save a couple for debarkation!

· Buy postcards and mail them to yourself from each port you visit. You will have a small reminder of your time there and the out of country postmark.

· I buy the generic wrinkle releaser available at dollar stores

· the little wet baby wipes help also... a small pack of those you can use on and off the ship.

· I found lip balm with a high spf a blessing and I use a hair and scalp protectant spray.

· On our cruise last Feb on the Zenith my daughter made us door decorations on the computer. She just used our CruiseCritic Screen names and and "regular" names and had planned for us to add picures of ourselves (that part never happened) so that our CC friend could find/recognize us. We also had brightly colored cardboard Parrots, the kind with the honeycomb bellies on the door. There were 4 couples traveling together and each of us had one. Made it super easy to find our rooms and even helped others on our hall locate their rooms. I started this reply to say that we carried magnetic strips to hang them with and THEY DIDN'T WORK! Either our doors weren't metal or had too many coats of paint on them. Luckily we had also take some of the tacky putty and it worked very well.

We also use those plastic ties that are for holding automotive wires together instead of locks on our luggage. They worked super great. Just remember to take nail clippers or something to cut them off with and pack extra for securing the luggage on the way

· My husband and I carry Credit cards from different accounts. That way if one is stolen you still have the other card to get you through the vacation.

· Put a couple of clothespins on the bottom of your shower curtain for a little weight to prevent it from attacking you during your shower. Also: nightlight for the bathroom so that you don't have to shock yourself awake from the full light during a 3 AM nature call. I've always taking a steamer but someone talked about Faultless brand wrinkle release spray. Also, a few dryer sheets to use for those pesky static cling issues. Hubby always packs one of those multi-tool items (One brand is Leatherman,I think) and I'm always amazed at what he fixes with it. We haven't ever had a balcony and always take some type of clothesline/clothes pins to string up in the room for those handwash things (like workout wear) that can drip dry. Thanks fo some of the other tips.

· For those long walking shore excursions, we always take a precut roll of padded Moleskin, made by Dr. Scholls. It's saved us from hot spots and blisters many times!

I'll also be taking my own facial and bar soap in small sizes, since the coconut-based soap on our last cruise made me break out.

· We are parking our car at the airport in Buffalo for 2 weeks. The weather can get crazy in January. So we are taking doorlock de-icer just in case moisture freezes the locks.

These (very) little plastic bottles can be bought at places like Wal*Mart or Pep Boys.

· you might want to throw a can of Fix a Flat in the trunk - you never know. We take one and it came in handy after one cruise. Our tire had a slow leak.

· I packed 2, 6 ft extension cords.

· I haven't seen anyone mention the use of a fanny pack. I have used mine for several vacations. My Mom bought me one on her cruise through the Panana Canal numerous years ago. They take the place of my regular purse when we go on a cruise.

· alcohol pads handy to sanitize door knobs, phone... also will take out stains

baby wipes

back pack also I had some totes that I would put in the back pack to carry the things I bought while in port.

bandaids a must

bathing suit cover up

bathing suits

batteries

binoculars

bug spray/wipes we hit a port we needed them.

Business cards printed with names and email address I wish I had done mine up. We were given several from the friends we made. They had their pictures on their cards.

check book

cell phone and charger We were able to use this in several ports. It was helpful when we were shopping and we needed to meet back up.

conditioner (hair)

cotton swaps

cotton balls

credit cards

dental floss

deodorant

dryer sheets

duct tape

emery boards

extension cord

frisbee or kite

hair gel

hairspray

hand sanitizer Some of the places you really wanted to be able to sanitize your hands before you ate anything.

high lighter pens

hole puncher I used this to punch holes in our card. You do need to watch out some of the ships puch holes for the kids to show they are underage for drinking and so on.

lanyard to wear around neck with room key I love the lanyard I used it on the last two cruises and won't not use it in the future. I think I would get the clear plastic to slip the card in and skip the whole punch.

Lysol

mesh bag for laundry

money

Neosporin

pack of playing cards

Paperback books

pen

Pepto bismal tablets luckily I didn't need this.

plastic clothes hangers I did bring some from home and also one that had the attached clothes pins.

post it notes great to use to leave messages to others in your group.

prescription drugs never leave home without it.

Q tips

rain ponchos didn't need it won't leave it out though

reading glasses

shampoo

Shoe bag - Over the door this is the one that I loved the most. We had the family suite with 4 of us in there. We loved it. We used it for shoes, cards, cameras, hand mirrors, sunscreen, lotion... it kept things right on hand.

sneakers

stamps

sun block I burn and won't not bring

sunglasses

swim shoes important, my sister didn't bring hers and stepped on a sea urchin

toothbrushes

toothpicks

Travel Documents

tweezers

Tylenol

underwear you can't always find them to purchase in shops in port. I did the wash before going and didn't get them in the suitcase. Luckily I had enough to get us to the first port. It was hard to find them in the shops in Alaska.

ZipLock bags these are great for bringing home seashells, small items you purchase, packing loose papers in, close and squeezing the air out.....

· When laying out in the sun, I like to take a small spray bottle that I fill with water. Then when I get hot, I just ~mist~ myself and cool off a little. I purchased it in the travel size section at WalMart. It's made out of plastic and is about 8 ounces.

· Travel Bag

Birth Certificate

Driver’s Licenses

Cash/Traveler’s Checks

Credit Cards

Cell Phones

Cell Phone Chargers

Royal Caribbean Notebook

Pens

Highlighters

Digital Camera/Charger

Hearing Aid Batteries

Ziplock Baggies

Medicines

Tylenol

Post it Notes

Door Decorations

Organization Tools for Room/Miscellaneous

Over the Door Shoe Holder

Suction Cups

Duct Tape

Clothes Pins

Alarm Clock

Thermos

Glade Plugin

Wine

To The Beach

Mesh/Beach Bag

Bathing Suits/Coverups

Squirt Bottle

Lunch Bag (Collapsible)

Water Bottles

Lip Balm

Sunglasses

Disposable Water Camera

Tolietries

Makeup Bag

Brush

Toothbrushes

Razor/Shaving Creams

Hair Dryer

Flat Iron

Curling Iron

Shampoo/Conditioner

Bath and Body Works

Soap

Clothes

PJs

Shirts (Hers)

Shirts (His)

Pants (Hers)

Pants (His)

Shorts/Capri Pants (Hers)

Shorts (His)

Underwear (Hers)

Underwear (His)

Socks (Hers)

Socks (His)

Formal Wear (Hers)

Formal Wear (His)

Shoes (Hers)

Shoes (His)

· To keep your fine chains from tangling - open the chain and thread it through a straw and then reconnect it. That takes a whole lot less time to do than to try to untangle the thing.

· Here is my list and I hope it helps someone!

Aloe gel (for burns)

aluminum foil

back packs (plane backpack and hiking bags)

Bandaids

bar soap

Barrettes

bathing suit cover up

bathing suits

batteries

beach bag

beach towels

belts

binoculars

books

Bras

Brushes

bug spray

Business cards(to give to new friends)

Capri pants

Casual dinner outfits

Cd’s

cell phone and charger

Clorox wipes

Cologne

conditioner (hair)

cotton balls

credit cards

Curling iron

dental floss

Deodorant

digital camera/cleaner/charger

dollar bills for tips to room service, sky cap, luggage handlers ($2 bills)

door decorations

dryer sheets

duct tape

Dvd’s

Ear plugs

Extension cord

Eye drops

fanny pack (waterproof)

Feminine products

First aid kit

fish food

flash light

Formal night outfits (dress, suit & shoes)

Hair dryer

hair gel

hairspray

hand sanitizer

Hangers

Hats (visors, beach hats, baseball)

Headphones

high lighter pens (yellow & blue)

Insulated lunch bag (sandwiches for plane)

Jewelry

Keys

Laptop (all necessary cords)

Laundry bag

Laundry detergents

Lip Balm

Lysol

Magazines

makeup

Make-up remover

Medicines (pepto, pepcid, Excedrin, benadryl gel, Dramamine)

Mesh floats (foldable)

Moisturizer (hand and body)

money

Nail clippers

Nail polish

Nail polish remover

Notebook/journal

Pajama’s

Pants (jeans & Khaki)

Pens

Perfume

playing cards

Portable cd walkman

Portable dvd player

Post it notes

Q-tips

Quarters for laundry (2 rolls)

rain ponchos

Razors/shaving creams

Room freshener with night light

Rubber bands for hair

Sandals

Semi-formal outfits (dress, suit & shoes)

Sewing kit

Shampoo

Sharpie pen

Shirts

Shoe bag - Over the door

Shorts

Shower cap

Shower gel

Shower poof

Small scissors

Snacks for room & plane

Sneakers

Snorkel gear

Socks (black & white)

Sunglasses (cords to hang on sunglasses)

Suntan lotion

swim float (foldable mesh)

Tanks

Toilet paper (for islands)

Toothbrushes

Travel Documents (passports, confirmations, drivers licenses, insurance information, etc.)

Travel iron

Travel steamer

Tweezers

Umbrella (compact)

Underwear

Walkie talkies

Water shoes

Waterproof camera - Mark Camera with name

Wind jackets (light fleece)

Woolite

ZIP lock bags – 2 gallon size for wet clothes, dirty clothes. Press all the air out and seal.

Zip strips

· Last year, my kids were in the cabin next door & we used these to keep in touch. (Young adults - no way were they using walkie talkies!) Actually we found sticky backed dry erase plastic that stuck to the door and removed easily. Duct taped the marker to the door by its lid. Other people left messages for the kids too. Like the door decorations mentioned, it helped us pick out our door from a corridor that seemed a mile long!

· Travel Bag: (If you leave room in it (instead of doing a purse) you can use it for souveniers going home..a canvas bag or something works great)

Folder with all Cruise Documents (birth cert, etc)

1 set of postit notes/pen

Highlighters (3) (his, hers, yours activities) (better yet, buy the triangle one or tiny ones)

Different size Ziplock Baggies (all inside one)

Medications (including tylenol..bring inside ziplock baggie)

Laynard

To the Beach: Pack a mesh bag or canvas bag to take up less room or pack a backpack and check it or carry it on. You can technically carry your travel bag in the same bag and take it out when you get there, particularly if you put all the travel bag supplies in a big ziplock baggie so it's all in one place.

1-2 bathing suits each. I'm not a duck so I personally only need one. Put these in a ziplock baggie so you'll have something to put your wet clothes already in your bag.

Collapsible lunch bag (not necessary..I'm planning to pack a picnic before I leave).

Squirt bottle (one is fine) to squirt water on yourself when you get hot (unless you are at the beach the entire time).

2 water bottles (you can refill)

Sunglasses

Lip Balm

Sunscreen (I buy travel size)

Bug Spray (if you need it..some ports do)

2 disposable water cameras

I'm not sure about towels

Room Supplies:

Clothespins (for keeping the shower curtain from clinging to you)

DeWrinkle Spray (if you want)

Pop up Laundry bag (not necessary)

Alarm Clock

Tolietries:

Small makeup bag

Few Jewlery (just for formal night)

Brush

2 Toothbrushes

Travel Size toothpaste

Small Shampoo Bottle

Body soap

Deodorant

(Hair dryer already in cabin)

Curling or flat iron

Razor/Shaving creams

Clothes:

1-2 PJ's each (unless you like naked, then a robe) (Personally one for the week is enough for me).

Shirts/Pants/Shorts (I would bring more shirts than pants and shorts..you can mix and match)

(I personally am planning to bring 5 shirts for me, 1 pair of shorts (all I have), 2 black slacks, 1 jeans, 1 capri pants and my formal (I have a formal top for 2nd night). 4 shoes (tennis shoes, dress shoes, flip flops, and black shoes). My husband will likely bring 1 pair of shorts, 2 jeans, 4 shirts, 2 slacks, a suit (with 2 shirts and ties) and 2 shoes).

7 pair of underwear each

2 bras

7 pairs of socks each (unless you are bringing flip flops, then much less)

· I recommend bringing CLEAR duct tape especially for the instant strapless bra effect!

· My daughter got a pair of socks for Christmas that had a zipper compartment in them. It's big enought for a credit card/room key.

· At Walmart they have a whole puncher called a Buggles. It's the size of a mini stapler and sells for $3.88. I found it in the Craft section/ Fabric area on one of those small hanging displays near the end of an aisle. They had a stapler, whole punch, and a pencil sharpener variety. Best part,it has a hook and holder.

· I know it sounds funny, but if you bring one of those milk bone dog treats, its great to use while snorkeling. In St. Thomas we snorkeled off of a beach and would brake off tiny peices of the dog bone and feed it to the fish. they would take it right out of our hands and we were surrounded by fish! It made for some really nice pictures!

· One of the things I can't do without on my travels is what I call my "saddlebag" that I got from Eddie Bauer which I use instead of a purse. It goes over your shoulder around your body, has multiple pouches for passports, documents, pens, etc. a clip for keys, a hidden zipper compartment in the handle and a larger compartment for small paperbacks,etc. Everything is right in front of you.

· If you wear a different shade of makeup in the summer than you do at the time of your cruise, pack it! I looked like a ghost wearing the foundation I brought after my face and body tanned!

· I always stick my room key in my bra.

· I am an accident prone kinda guy (35 year old mtn biker/jock) one who......scraps, bumps, trips, slams, hits, bangs every body part.....you get it..........so every cruise, DW, packs the Gauze, extra bandaids, first aid little kit, and my knee brace(velcro) and elbow brace and ankle brace------all like $5 at Target....this way as soon as I trip or stumble, out comes the brace.... this helps me get around, and avoid visiting the doctor on board.

SO, pack up:

Nylon/gauze/ankle wrapping for sprains, strains, aches, trips and slips--they are going to happen, of course to me, alllllllllllllll theeeeeeeeeeee timmmmmmmmmeeee!

· We take a clock radio with CD player built in.

· DH and I were grocery shopping last weekend, and we found a nifty little item to pack. It's a corkscrew with a wide flat plastic handle at the top, and a cone-shaped cover over the screw that has a rubber band around the center. The handle flips open to reveal a foil cutter. When the whole thing is assembled, you place the cone shaped portion in the opened wine bottle, and it acts as a stopper. The rubber band then acts as a seal. It was hanging on a random shelf in the supermarket, and cost $2. We also go camping a lot, so we will get a lot of use out of this. When we buy the shoe bag next week, this is going in it!

· My best friend and I pack some of those nose strips for sleeping times because the more we drink and/or the more tired we are the more one or both of us snores and keeps the other awake (they really do work). We also take a white noise machine and one of those clip on 5" desk fans for the times in the caribbean when it is just too hot! Gotta LOVE those balcony cabins....no matter how hot it is we seem to need to have the balcony door open whenever we are in the cabin

· I take those removable wall hooks to use within the cabin and in the bathroom. These are the white ones that you "pull the strip" to remove them later, not the suction cup ones.

I also take a large skirt safety pin. This is the type of skirt pin that used to be used on scottish kilts. You can buy a pack of 2 pins at any JoAnn fabrics or other fabric store. I take my cruise card to the purser's office and have them punch a hole into my card. Then I safety pin it to whatever I'm wearing! Works great as I don't usually have pockets!

· I can't travel without my itty bitty book light -- I like to read a bit after DH and DDs are in bed.

· address book with snail mail and e-mail addresses

· nail clippers and a nail file. I think I am going to bring a small thing of super glue for my nails.

· Bring Liquid spray on Bandaids! The new over the counter stuff doesnt sting, has a Antibiotic, is water proof, and stays on for 3 to 7 days!

· Also a must have is Preperation H Cooling Gel - not for hemorrohoids but for sunburns. It works wonders!

· Some folks from Georgia explained it to me this way: Duct Tape is half of the Red Neck Tool Kit. The other half is WD40. Now I would not suggest packing WD40 or any other aerosol cans in your luggage especially if you are flying, but here is how it works: If it moves and it's not supposed to then you use the Duct Tape to fix it. If it is supposed to move and does not, then you hit it with the WD40.

More on Duct Tape: Someone in the thread above mentioned blisters. The Georgian Folks I mentioned above coat the bottoms of the feet with Duct Tape prior to hiking to prevent blisters. I have since begun using this approach and can attest to its success. I cover only the areas known to blister. I have yet to have a blister using this approach. There are many supposed remedies for blisters once they have occurred. This likely will prevent them from ever forming. If you know where you tend to get blisters, try cladding that area of you feet with Duct Tape. It sometimes gets gummy and sticks to your socks, but it is a small price to pay for being blister free. If you do not like the silver (Aluminum) colored Duct Tape, you can now buy "Clear" for a premium price.

· I got a mailer tube and cut it to 10 inches length, put our birth certificates in a freezer ziplock, rolled them up and put 'em in the tube. Put the ends on, and voila, crush-proof travel docs.

· one thing you might consider packing is your packing list to make sure you don't leave behind anything valuable on the ship.

· A flat, round, plastic bubble-maker and small bottle of bubbles on the balcony for when you sail away. I love bubbles!!

· For those who drink a little too much the night before, the Hangover Cure

1. Take 2 aspirins

2. Take 200mg cysteine (available at specialty food stores)

3. Take 600mg vitamin C

4. Take 1 tablet vitamin B-complex

And for the people who bring blenders aboard (or you may be able to have something like this made at breakfast for you):

5. Mix the following ingredients together in a blender:

1 banana

1 small can V-8

6 large strawberries

2 tablespoons honey

1 cup orange juice

1-2 cups milk (or soy milk), to desired consistency

¼ tsp. salt

dash of nutmeg

Drink it all down

And of course, lots of fluids (water, Gatorade, Maalox, and bullion soup for lunch of you still feel like crud then.)

Stay away from coffee and other caffeinated beverages.

• What about shrink wrap? Good for almost anything...

• Here are some things I found really useful on the cruise:

LED keychain light--ours was red, so as not to screw up your night vision (for hunting for things in your cabin at night w/o having to turn on the main light; should be on a lanyard hung in a consistent location)

pad of post-it notes

highlighter

pens and sharpies

safety pins (my husband left his belt at secuirty in the terminal; my son's clip-on tie was broken)

Our own first-aid kit (including imodium, aspirin, etc.)

night light

power strip or outlet increaser thingie is essential

rechargeable AA and AAA batteries and battery charger

alarm clock (natch)

99 cent inflatable swim ring for the pool (our kids loved it at sea in the "kiddie pool": 1.5 ft. deep pool with 1.5 ft. high waves)

lanyards form home depot (altho I bought a cute cloth disco purse just big enough to hold a passport and a sail'n'sign card for a buck at the pier in Progreso)

corkscrew and your own wine for dinner, if your cruise ship allows you to bring wine, as Carnival does (if you bring a bottle already opened, but corked, to dinner, and it's a common winery like Kendall Jackson or Mondavi, they might assume you bought it on the ship the previous night, or at one of the bars on board, and were just finishing the bottle and they probably won't charge the corkage fee)

roll of quarters and concentrated clothes soap (Target sells Method brand, which is in a small bottle). You can always buy a roll of quarters in the casino; however, when I did laundry the casino was closed and I was glad I brought my own

small stuffed animal for each child--our 5-year old loved having Alex from Madagascar sharing his experience, plus the cleaning staff posed him with towel creations at turn-down service. So sweet!

thin sanitary pads (my 5-year old got, er, a touch of the runs, so we gave him an "underpants protector" to use; we also could have begged a disposable diaper off the infirmary staff, if the situation were worse)

a packet of powdered gatorade *would have been* useful to have along

Follow-up items:

Bungee cords not needed on Carnival's Elation. The beds have a clip to hold the beds together.

Ship's water perfectly drinkable...just tastes distilled. Save bottled water for excursion, altho all of our excursions gave us water. In Belize, the dive boat had these cool little iced, bags of water...astronaut water! On ship, I often took a drink-of-the-day cup up to the buffet area and filled it up with cold water before heading back to the cabin.

We took magnets, clips, and duct tape, but never used them. I think they're good to have "just in

• I just bought an insulated water bottle with a shoulder strap & pocket that's just the right size for $$ or S&S card. Should make it easy to take on shore excursions.

• I bring a mini first aid kit. Great for beach, excursions, etc! Comes in handy with kids except so far the adults are the only ones that have needed to use it. I bring duct tape, a collapsing shoe organizer (for handbags, belts, walkman, etc) Saves us tons of room!

• Take slipper socks instead of house shoes. Easier to pack.

• I just picked up a clear card holder on a retractable clip at Wal Mart for 97 cents. You can clip it on your belt, pocket, etc and just pull on it to use. I even splurged for one for my husband!

• I take my clothes out of the closet on their hangers and pack them in my suitcase. When I unpack, I pick up the clothes on their hangers from the suitcase and hang them in the closet. It takes me about ten minutes to pack and unpack my clothes.

• I swear by Shout Wipes

• I take a Credit Card to pay my sail and sign

• We have taken walkie talkies to communicate on the ship. They work well for locating or the other half.

Don't forget to take a copy of all of your id, and credit cards just in case.

Bring postage. What is really fun is to send a post card home from every port and/or just once a day to yourself. Write about the day or send future message to yourself. They come sometimes days and even weeks after you are home. But it's a great reminder of how much fun you had and put's a smile on your face after the cruise. Post cruising depression usually sets in as soon as you get home and will last for about a week.

• We bring small kleenix tissue packets for use in the facilities when we go on shore excursions.

• we carry a compass. We like to rent a car when visiting an island and road signs are not always easy to find. With a compass you can at least find the general direction you want to go.

• Take Tide to Go. Takes stains out. Easy to carry in purse, fanny pack, etc.

Take small notepad and take notes of where you went, who you met, what you did. You would be surprised how much is forgotten. Fun to go back and read your notes as you look at your pictures.

• Polarized Sunglasses - you'll see alot more sea creatures in the water as you look over the side of the ship!!!

Also, a hat or visor (with a chinstrap or clips if it's a favorite and you're going on a sailing excursion).

Waterproof case for ID - they usually sell these on the ships, but if you already have one you don't need to buy again.

· Adolphs Meat Tenderizer For Stings

· A small plastic or bamboo "Cafeteria" tray. If you like to go to the buffett, and bring your sleepy loved one back some hot breakfast in bed, and are not thrilled by the room service menu, a small tray is invaluable

· I bring my own washcloths to wash my face with.

· Don't forget the Maxi Deet (98.11% deet even though it claims to be 100%) or a similar bug spray.

· We also bring a bottle of diet root beer to make root beer floats with, flavored liquid creamers that don't need refrigeration for morning coffee on our balcony, a bottle of moderately priced champagne for mimosas on our balcony.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

WOW - thanks all - have just read the lists and Avril's consolidated one.

I think you forgot to add 'the kitchen sink' :D

Seriously.........this is invaluable as I have never, ever cruised - first one booked in August - yaaaay.

much appreciated.

Lisa

WOW - thanks all - have just read the lists and Avril's consolidated one.

I think you forgot to add 'the kitchen sink' :D

Seriously.........this is invaluable as I have never, ever cruised - first one booked in August - yaaaay.

much appreciated.

Lisa

Lisa,

Be sure and visit cruisediva-dot-com.

http://www.***************

Good for first time cruisers.

• 11 months later...
I put all the suggestions together in Microsoft Word to form a complete list so no one else has to go through all 23 pages if they don't want to.

I hope it helps. Happy Cruising!!!!:D

The List:

• I take post-ems notes: to stick on the mirror to communicate with the room steward when I don't see him or with other in the cabin. I also use them to label the drawers and shelves with names,etc

I take 2 over the door clear hanging shoe bags. One for shoes on the outside of the bathroom door, one for the inside of the bathroom for misc. stuff due to limited counter & closet space.

Extension cord, power strip, hair dryer if you want good power, back pack, disposable & waterproof cameras, first aide kit, medicines, bonine, sunscreen and aloe vera gel, lotion, hanging cosmetic/shaving kits. I take a full size but plastic blender that is light weight and inexpensive.

I take some sort of inexpensive door decoration to make recognizing our door easier and use a putty to attach it.

• Zip lock bags, duct tape, hi-lighter pens (to hi-light activities on the ship in the newsletter), collapsible water bottles, hand sanitizer, lavender oil, room fresheners, insulated cup holders

• Benedryl gel, night light or small flashlight, bungee cords: to hold the balcony door open

• a small, collapsible cooler to take drinks into port to ensure we have drinks we like.

• I have a small travel kit with assorted toiletries and keep a night light in it. That is handy at a hotel or on a cruise as it can be left on in the bathroom (like we do at home) and if you get up in the middle of the night you don't need to turn on the bright light.

• Bungee cords! Can be used to keep your balcony door open, and are really handy to hold your towel down on deck when it's windy! Also Downy Wrinkle Release, a small travel steamer, lots of plastic clothes hangers (they never give you enough, and sometimes you can't take them off the closet pole!) Also some clothes pins, handy to hang up your bathing suits or whatever if you have a clothes line in your shower. Post it notes, great to leave your room steward requests when you are leaving the room and he or she will be in to clean your room while you are gone.

• Uses for the Duct Tape: I read that it is useful to identify luggage, fix luggage, tape the shower curtain to the floor so it doesn't stick to your butt when you shower, and to hem pants. I think it also makes a good lint remover if you wrap it around your hand sticky side out, and rub over the linted area.

• I love to take door dec. Remember all doors are metal on the ship, so I use magnet printer paper. Yes most places sells it.. You can custom design on your computer what you want.. In May I did a big sign that had my cruise critic names on it.. date and ship... Then I did a bunch of small cutie ones.. Like a cup of coffee, bottle of whine, waiter, Hamburger, french frys, Malt shake, all on one 8x10 and cut them out.. so they can be placed on differant areas of the door. Everyone who came by my cabin LOVED THEM.. and the last day a few of them came up missing.. That was ok with me..
    You can even make special ones that read,, DO NOT ENTER ... or LATE SLEEPER TODAY.. We had about 15 people on my last cruise who used my idea ...

• Suction cup hooks are handy for extra hanging capacity, particularly for wet stuff in the Bathroom.

• A shower cap so you don't have to wash and dry your hair after a quick shower, and some antihistamines in case you have an allergic reaction to something. Also, don't forget the Tums or Rolaids in case you try a new food which doesn't agree with you!

• We also include a small air freshner for the bathroom...one that can be opened or closed as needed. Extension cords are a must and a power strip is a great idea.

• roll of quarters (used in laundry room),

• We like to bring binoculars to get a closer look when pulling in or out of port. The new spray bandaid works great for blisters, or if you have a wound and still want to snorkel in the warm water.

• My wife likes to bring one of everything in the house!!

• One thing I am never without when I go on a cruise and that is ALCOHOL WIPES.As soon as I arrive in my cabin,out come these 'little wonders' and I clean the phone,the door handles,the TV remote,the bathroom cabinet door handles...in fact anywhere that can be touched by hands.

Just think of all the germs left behind by the previous passengers....they could have had a roaring cough and cold or even worse!! Since I started using these alcohol wipes(which are used in hospital isolation wards)I have stopped catching colds on board.

Don't forget to pack some scissors in your checked luggage,if you are flying!

· i always travel with a small flashlight, a map of the area we're going to and a tiny journal to keep notes (or maybe my pda this time). and zip bags..the really large ones are great to keep inspector's paws out of your undies. take a sewing kit...2 needles, a yard or so of threads to match your clothes, cheap scissors, steam-a seam tape (great to 'save those hems') alwrapped around a small piece of cardboard. also i try to have some way of carrying my room "key" safely and not lost in the bottom of my purse somewhere

· I have a small coiled extension cord with a double plug end that I take. The wall plug in never seems to be in the right place for what I need for my hair dryer, curling iron, camera battery charger, etc.

· duct tape can be an emergency strapless bra

· I also bring preprinted address labels for friends & family to whom I plan to send postcards. And, speaking of pre-printed, I bring personal address cards with address, phone number & email address for new friends I meet on board with whom I'd like to stay in touch.

· Always bring a travel size can of Lysol spray!! You can buy the small ones at travel stops along an interstate or major highway.

· I always take a little bottle Woolite to wash out my swimsuits each day - it's also a nice thing to have just in case you spill something on your shirt or pants at dinner and don't want to pay to have it cleaned by the cruiseline.

· - Benadryl for allergic reactions

- Lomotil for Aztec two-step

- Duct tape

- ZipLok bags (I keep my digital camera in one to prevent condensation on and in it when going outside)

- Little hand-held battery fan (they REALLY come in handy during muster drill)

- Post-it notes

- Suction hooks

- Clothesline and wooden clothespins (if we have a balcony)

- Wine

- Business cards we've printed with our names and email address (to give to new friends)

- Witz box to keep money, boarding pass, credit card, etc. in while ashore

- Smallest Swiss Army Knife

- Pre-addressed postcard labels and return address labels

- Small plastic basket (really helps organize if there's no vanity drawer)

- Paperback books

- Small mini maglite

- Small travel alarm clock

· Also, they now have out small bottles of sunscreen that have a clip attached to them. You can have it hooked to the bag you carry with you so it is always where you can find it.

· I always carry a little plastic thingy that usually comes with a loaf of bread... the thing that keeps it closed... it is great for keeping the curtains closed tightly and super tiny to pack.

· don't forget to take along hand sanitizer...i always get the tiny bottles in the .99 cent rack in wally world. you should also remember bug repellent if you're going south...it helps at the beach.

sunscreen!!!!!!! that's a must!!!

· Since Most room keys are now the kind that are the credit card type (at least on NCL), I would suggest either a small purse that can be worn over your body, or there is a thing (don't know what to call it) that will hang around your neck (often used for company ID cards)/ I have seen some cases at the dive shop that are supposed to be water proof and would hold a credit card and a little money.

· tums, travel sized pain reliever, throat lozenges

· My husband and I sometimes like to go in different directions once in Port, so walkie talkies with at least a two mile range are very useful. If we get hung up or I need help, we are able to communicate. He even wears his on his belt in a waterproof cell phone bag while snorkeling and I am lounging by the pool on board. If he has found something interesting and wants to stay out longer, it keeps me from worrying that he has been "lost at sea" or eaten by a giant clam! Just be a good citizen and keep the volume down low so as not to offend the sensibilites of other passengers. It helps to buy a pair with a lot of channels (50+) to avoid being rudely reminded that Joe Blow "owns" the channel you just used. (Like with 5 ships in port and an extra 11,000 people running around that won't happen - NOT!!!)

· A rain poncho

· A friend of mine gave me this one to me last night at dinner - toothpicks. Being a true Texan toothpicks are just something I take for granted as being there. I would hate to have to go all the way back to my cabin just to get the floss if a toothpick would do.

· I take a "laundry" kit with me, in a zip loc bag I put 2 rolls of quarters, 4 dryer sheets and some of those solid laundry tablets, any quarters left over I use in the slot machines. I hate to come home and face 2 suitcases full of dirty clothes. Also we never pack all of Jim's clothes in one suitcase or all of mine in the other. You never know if one or the other suitcase will get lost in transit and you will be stuck with no clothes. I also love gallon size Zip Loc bags for packing toiletries or lingerie. I carry some empty ones along, I take a few pieces of fruit for days in ports (I am diabetic) in my Zip Loc bags and I order cold sandwiches from room service or make sandwiches out of bagels and cold cuts on the breakfast buffet, great money saver until you decide where you are going to eat at the port, cuts down on that "desperation" meal you pay too much for because you're starving. I'll never forget the time we were on a snorkeling trip that ran a little long and the looks we got from fellow passengers while we were eating a banana and bagel sandwiches. I also make sure I carry pepto bismal, immodium, tylenol and a travel alarm. I am ordering a travel alarm/flashlight from a healthcare catalog (Roaman's-by Dr. Leonard) for $3.99 to use on my next cruise, I don't know how many times one of us had flipped on the lights and woke up the other using the restroom at 2:00 AM.

Also ladies that get acrylic nails. You should carry superglue and the same polish color you come on the cruise with in case you have to get a repair in the salon or if you have to fix a chip in your toenail polish. Nothing worse than knocking off bright red toenail polish while you're out at the beach and having a big white spot on your toenail the rest of the cruise - always good to be prepared!

· If you wear eyeglasses or contacts, you may want to take a backup pair. Since I don't (the prescription in the old ones changed so much), I have my eyeglasses checked and tightened by a professional the week before I leave. Of course I try to keep from leaning overboard and looking straight down into the water. With my luck they'll come sliding off!

· alcohol pads

Anbesol

baby wipes

baby powder

back pack

bandaids

bathing suit cover up

bathing suits

batteries

Benadryl for allergic reactions

binoculars

bug spray/wipes

bungee cords

Business cards printed with names and email address (to give to new friends)

cameras (disposable, waterproof, digital, charger) - Mark Camera with name

check book

cell phone and charger

clothesline

clothespins

collapsible cup

collapsible cup

conditioner (hair)

cotton swaps

cotton balls

credit cards

Croakies for eyeglasses

daytime clothes

dental floss

deodorant

downy wrinkle releaser

Downy Wrinkle Release,

dresses

dryer sheets

duct tape

emery boards

evening bag

evening clothes

extension cord

extra contacts

extra contact solution

eye glasses

Fabreeze

facial toner

facial cleanser

fanny pack

fish food

flash light

frisbee or kite

hair gel

hairspray

hand sanitizer

Hemorrhoid medication

high lighter pens

HOLE PUNCHER

insulated travel mug

insulated lunch bag

iron

Iron on tape

itty bitty book light

jewelry

Kaopectate

lavender pack and/or oil (to help sleep)

Laxative

Lomotil for Aztec two-step

Lysol

makeup

mesh bag for laundry

moisturizer

money

Neosporin

night light to keep in bathroom; the rooms get really dark at night

nighties

notebook

pack of playing cards

pants

Paperback books

pen

Pepto bismal tablets

plastic clothes hangers

plastic basket small (really helps organize if there's no vanity drawer)

pool toys

post it notes

Post it notes

pre cut sheets of aluminum foil

Preaddressed postcard labels and return address labels

prescription drugs

Q tips

rain ponchos

reading material

reading glasses

room freshener

shampoo

Shoe bag - Over the door

shoes

shorts

Shout stain wipes (spot remover wipes)

skirt

sneakers

stamps

Stapler (small)

Suction cup hooks

sun block

sunglasses

swim shoes

swim float

Swiss Army Knife

Toilet seat covers

Toiletry bag

toothbrushes

toothpicks

tops

Travel Documents

Travel steamer (small)

tweezers

Tylenol

underwear

watch on key chain

water bottles

wine bottle opener

Witz box to keep money, boarding pass, credit card, etc. in while ashore

Woolite (small bottle) to rinse bathing suits

ZIP lock bags - 2 gallon size for wet clothes, dirty clothes. Press all the air out and seal.

· vitamins. Gotta stay healthy while on board!!!!

· If you forget your nite-lite, you might try this. On Royal Caribbean's Voyager Class ships, the TV has several music channels with no picture. Turn the sound all the way down. When your eyes adjust to the dark, you'll notice a faint glow from the tube which will just barely illuminate the room but not interfere with your sleep. This might work on other cruise lines as well. Please note that on many ships, turning the bathroom light off will also affect the plugs in the bathroom, so a nite-lite would not work.

· Don't forget safety pins and a small sewing kit. And a bottle of champagne for a bon voyage party! and dancing shoes? I am getting carried away!

· Take a couple of letter sized pieces of cardboard and an large envelope for storing your shipboard photos. They won't get bent or have the corners turned up when you get home.

· Just got back from my fantastic Alaskan cruise and the suggestions here made a huge difference! Gotta say that if you plan on bringing an air freshener, don't do what I did and bring one of those gel fresheners with the raspberry scent. You know the kind... looks like a plastic christmas tree where you pull the top up, revealing the gel underneath. Well, I made the brilliant decision to place the air freshener into the luggage with the dirty laundry on the way home and upon opening it was engulfed in the stink reminiscent of some very old and well-used outhouses. I'll have to lysol out the luggage as well as let it air out to get the stench out. Maybe I should have brought the regular neutralizer instead.

· Some things to add to your lists if your going to Alaska...Coat, Warm Hat, and Gloves.

Last time we were there it was cold when you went out on deck to see the glaciers.

After all you are sitting in a big glass of ice water.

· an umbrella. One of those little ones that folds to about 6 inches

· I love those mesh pop up laundry baskets that you twist up and lay flat. They take up no room at all in the suitcase. You can open them up and stick them in the closet so your laundry isn't all over the room.

· Over the door clear shoe holder - DEFINITELY the BEST thing we took with us. We hung it over the closet door & put our cameras, suntan lotion, cell phones, clothes roller etc. in it. Pack it!

· This was probably mention here, but I bought a cigarette case. Fit anything and everything i needed (cruise card, money, credit cards, etc).

· I also like to take my bath scrubbie and shower gel.

· Plenty of C - A - S - H !!! If you're going to have a balcony, a small clothesline and pins will help you dry your wet stuff faster, as well as keeping it out of the bathroom.

Most important - Take ZipLok freezer bags large enough to seal your camera inside. When you go from the cool ship into the hot, humid Hawaiian (or Caribbean) air, or from your room onto your balcony, your camera will form condensation - both outside and inside. Especially if you have a digital, use the ZipLoc bags. Try to get as much air out of the bag as possible when you zip it. Then leave the camera inside the plastic bag until it warms up. Any condensation will form on the soft plastic, instead of inside and on the camera. If you're in a hurry to warm it up (for example, to take a sunrise or sunset photo), you can warm the camera under your arm. Try this. It works, and will save you having to replace your digital camera too soon.

· You might think about a Mr. Clean magic eraser sponge. It will take marks off of shoes and some bags. If kids write on walls, erase it!

A scarf for your head/ears on windy days. A hat.

Hair ties, detangler.

Feminine products and meds.

A small travel/language guide if going 'alone' instead of booking a shore excursion.

Pack of mini 'one-use' tubes of crazy glue. Good for buttons on loose thread, hems, glasses repair (temporary), fingernails, etc

glasses screwdriver kit

card game

and finally a BIG SMILE!!! We're going cruisin', gotta looove it!!!!

· bubble wrap for the breakables you take home

8x10 or larger manilla envelope with cardboard insert to keep the pics you buy from being torn or kinked.

· I take a combination lock or bike lock to use to lock my beach bag while I swim. You can lock it to a lounge or a tree limb. The type of lock depends on your beach bag. You've got to be sure it can't be opened.

· A couple of ideas for room key carrying

1) A small Business Card holder is nice and elegant and CHEAP

2) if you live in a metro area you can buy a "Metro Card/Subway pass" Holder

· I take my own beach towel. When you are faced with a sea of towels on deck from the ship that all look the same, it's hard to find your spot. Not only that, but a lost towel will cost you $25 or so. I'd rather "lose" my $5 walmart towel, although that's never happened yet (knocking on wood). I then use the cruise line beach towels in my cabin as bath towels.

· We have just returned from our first cruise, and the nylon mesh tote bag ($1.50 at flea market) came in very handy. From carrying our towels, water bottles, lotion on excursions to packages of nick-knacks and assorted must have gifts to the heavy-hauling of the 6 lg bottles of liquor we bought off of the ship at the end of the cruise, it was a winner. I had been searching for a cotton one when I ran accross the nylon (small diameter braid that would contract and elongate when put under a load) and settled on it instead. Now I am happy I did not find the cotton.

Don't forget to take your own bottled water - and save a couple for debarkation!

· Buy postcards and mail them to yourself from each port you visit. You will have a small reminder of your time there and the out of country postmark.

· I buy the generic wrinkle releaser available at dollar stores

· the little wet baby wipes help also... a small pack of those you can use on and off the ship.

· I found lip balm with a high spf a blessing and I use a hair and scalp protectant spray.

· On our cruise last Feb on the Zenith my daughter made us door decorations on the computer. She just used our CruiseCritic Screen names and and "regular" names and had planned for us to add picures of ourselves (that part never happened) so that our CC friend could find/recognize us. We also had brightly colored cardboard Parrots, the kind with the honeycomb bellies on the door. There were 4 couples traveling together and each of us had one. Made it super easy to find our rooms and even helped others on our hall locate their rooms. I started this reply to say that we carried magnetic strips to hang them with and THEY DIDN'T WORK! Either our doors weren't metal or had too many coats of paint on them. Luckily we had also take some of the tacky putty and it worked very well.

We also use those plastic ties that are for holding automotive wires together instead of locks on our luggage. They worked super great. Just remember to take nail clippers or something to cut them off with and pack extra for securing the luggage on the way

· My husband and I carry Credit cards from different accounts. That way if one is stolen you still have the other card to get you through the vacation.

· Put a couple of clothespins on the bottom of your shower curtain for a little weight to prevent it from attacking you during your shower. Also: nightlight for the bathroom so that you don't have to shock yourself awake from the full light during a 3 AM nature call. I've always taking a steamer but someone talked about Faultless brand wrinkle release spray. Also, a few dryer sheets to use for those pesky static cling issues. Hubby always packs one of those multi-tool items (One brand is Leatherman,I think) and I'm always amazed at what he fixes with it. We haven't ever had a balcony and always take some type of clothesline/clothes pins to string up in the room for those handwash things (like workout wear) that can drip dry. Thanks fo some of the other tips.

· For those long walking shore excursions, we always take a precut roll of padded Moleskin, made by Dr. Scholls. It's saved us from hot spots and blisters many times!

I'll also be taking my own facial and bar soap in small sizes, since the coconut-based soap on our last cruise made me break out.

· We are parking our car at the airport in Buffalo for 2 weeks. The weather can get crazy in January. So we are taking doorlock de-icer just in case moisture freezes the locks.

These (very) little plastic bottles can be bought at places like Wal*Mart or Pep Boys.

· you might want to throw a can of Fix a Flat in the trunk - you never know. We take one and it came in handy after one cruise. Our tire had a slow leak.

· I packed 2, 6 ft extension cords.

· I haven't seen anyone mention the use of a fanny pack. I have used mine for several vacations. My Mom bought me one on her cruise through the Panana Canal numerous years ago. They take the place of my regular purse when we go on a cruise.

· alcohol pads handy to sanitize door knobs, phone... also will take out stains

baby wipes

back pack also I had some totes that I would put in the back pack to carry the things I bought while in port.

bandaids a must

bathing suit cover up

bathing suits

batteries

binoculars

bug spray/wipes we hit a port we needed them.

Business cards printed with names and email address I wish I had done mine up. We were given several from the friends we made. They had their pictures on their cards.

check book

cell phone and charger We were able to use this in several ports. It was helpful when we were shopping and we needed to meet back up.

conditioner (hair)

cotton swaps

cotton balls

credit cards

dental floss

deodorant

dryer sheets

duct tape

emery boards

extension cord

frisbee or kite

hair gel

hairspray

hand sanitizer Some of the places you really wanted to be able to sanitize your hands before you ate anything.

high lighter pens

hole puncher I used this to punch holes in our card. You do need to watch out some of the ships puch holes for the kids to show they are underage for drinking and so on.

lanyard to wear around neck with room key I love the lanyard I used it on the last two cruises and won't not use it in the future. I think I would get the clear plastic to slip the card in and skip the whole punch.

Lysol

mesh bag for laundry

money

Neosporin

pack of playing cards

Paperback books

pen

Pepto bismal tablets luckily I didn't need this.

plastic clothes hangers I did bring some from home and also one that had the attached clothes pins.

post it notes great to use to leave messages to others in your group.

prescription drugs never leave home without it.

Q tips

rain ponchos didn't need it won't leave it out though

reading glasses

shampoo

Shoe bag - Over the door this is the one that I loved the most. We had the family suite with 4 of us in there. We loved it. We used it for shoes, cards, cameras, hand mirrors, sunscreen, lotion... it kept things right on hand.

sneakers

stamps

sun block I burn and won't not bring

sunglasses

swim shoes important, my sister didn't bring hers and stepped on a sea urchin

toothbrushes

toothpicks

Travel Documents

tweezers

Tylenol

underwear you can't always find them to purchase in shops in port. I did the wash before going and didn't get them in the suitcase. Luckily I had enough to get us to the first port. It was hard to find them in the shops in Alaska.

ZipLock bags these are great for bringing home seashells, small items you purchase, packing loose papers in, close and squeezing the air out.....

· When laying out in the sun, I like to take a small spray bottle that I fill with water. Then when I get hot, I just ~mist~ myself and cool off a little. I purchased it in the travel size section at WalMart. It's made out of plastic and is about 8 ounces.

· Travel Bag

Birth Certificate

Driver’s Licenses

Cash/Traveler’s Checks

Credit Cards

Cell Phones

Cell Phone Chargers

Royal Caribbean Notebook

Pens

Highlighters

Digital Camera/Charger

Hearing Aid Batteries

Ziplock Baggies

Medicines

Tylenol

Post it Notes

Door Decorations

Organization Tools for Room/Miscellaneous

Suction Cups

Duct Tape

Clothes Pins

Alarm Clock

Thermos

Glade Plugin

Wine

To The Beach

Mesh/Beach Bag

Bathing Suits/Coverups

Squirt Bottle

Lunch Bag (Collapsible)

Water Bottles

Lip Balm

Sunglasses

Disposable Water Camera

Tolietries

Makeup Bag

Brush

Toothbrushes

Razor/Shaving Creams

Hair Dryer

Flat Iron

Curling Iron

Shampoo/Conditioner

Bath and Body Works

Soap

Clothes

PJs

Shirts (Hers)

Shirts (His)

Pants (Hers)

Pants (His)

Shorts/Capri Pants (Hers)

Shorts (His)

Underwear (Hers)

Underwear (His)

Socks (Hers)

Socks (His)

Formal Wear (Hers)

Formal Wear (His)

Shoes (Hers)

Shoes (His)

· To keep your fine chains from tangling - open the chain and thread it through a straw and then reconnect it. That takes a whole lot less time to do than to try to untangle the thing.

· Here is my list and I hope it helps someone!

Aloe gel (for burns)

aluminum foil

back packs (plane backpack and hiking bags)

Bandaids

bar soap

Barrettes

bathing suit cover up

bathing suits

batteries

beach bag

beach towels

belts

binoculars

books

Bras

Brushes

bug spray

Business cards(to give to new friends)

Capri pants

Casual dinner outfits

Cd’s

cell phone and charger

Clorox wipes

Cologne

conditioner (hair)

cotton balls

credit cards

Curling iron

dental floss

Deodorant

digital camera/cleaner/charger

dollar bills for tips to room service, sky cap, luggage handlers ($2 bills)

door decorations

dryer sheets

duct tape

Dvd’s

Ear plugs

Extension cord

Eye drops

fanny pack (waterproof)

Feminine products

First aid kit

fish food

flash light

Formal night outfits (dress, suit & shoes)

Hair dryer

hair gel

hairspray

hand sanitizer

Hangers

Hats (visors, beach hats, baseball)

Headphones

high lighter pens (yellow & blue)

Insulated lunch bag (sandwiches for plane)

Jewelry

Keys

Laptop (all necessary cords)

Laundry bag

Laundry detergents

Lip Balm

Lysol

Magazines

makeup

Make-up remover

Medicines (pepto, pepcid, Excedrin, benadryl gel, Dramamine)

Mesh floats (foldable)

Moisturizer (hand and body)

money

Nail clippers

Nail polish

Nail polish remover

Notebook/journal

Pajama’s

Pants (jeans & Khaki)

Pens

Perfume

playing cards

Portable cd walkman

Portable dvd player

Post it notes

Q-tips

Quarters for laundry (2 rolls)

rain ponchos

Razors/shaving creams

Room freshener with night light

Rubber bands for hair

Sandals

Semi-formal outfits (dress, suit & shoes)

Sewing kit

Shampoo

Sharpie pen

Shirts

Shoe bag - Over the door

Shorts

Shower cap

Shower gel

Shower poof

Small scissors

Snacks for room & plane

Sneakers

Snorkel gear

Socks (black & white)

Sunglasses (cords to hang on sunglasses)

Suntan lotion

swim float (foldable mesh)

Tanks

Toilet paper (for islands)

Toothbrushes

Travel Documents (passports, confirmations, drivers licenses, insurance information, etc.)

Travel iron

Travel steamer

Tweezers

Umbrella (compact)

Underwear

Walkie talkies

Water shoes

Waterproof camera - Mark Camera with name

Wind jackets (light fleece)

Woolite

ZIP lock bags – 2 gallon size for wet clothes, dirty clothes. Press all the air out and seal.

Zip strips

· Last year, my kids were in the cabin next door & we used these to keep in touch. (Young adults - no way were they using walkie talkies!) Actually we found sticky backed dry erase plastic that stuck to the door and removed easily. Duct taped the marker to the door by its lid. Other people left messages for the kids too. Like the door decorations mentioned, it helped us pick out our door from a corridor that seemed a mile long!

· Travel Bag: (If you leave room in it (instead of doing a purse) you can use it for souveniers going home..a canvas bag or something works great)

Folder with all Cruise Documents (birth cert, etc)

1 set of postit notes/pen

Highlighters (3) (his, hers, yours activities) (better yet, buy the triangle one or tiny ones)

Different size Ziplock Baggies (all inside one)

Medications (including tylenol..bring inside ziplock baggie)

Laynard

To the Beach: Pack a mesh bag or canvas bag to take up less room or pack a backpack and check it or carry it on. You can technically carry your travel bag in the same bag and take it out when you get there, particularly if you put all the travel bag supplies in a big ziplock baggie so it's all in one place.

1-2 bathing suits each. I'm not a duck so I personally only need one. Put these in a ziplock baggie so you'll have something to put your wet clothes already in your bag.

Collapsible lunch bag (not necessary..I'm planning to pack a picnic before I leave).

Squirt bottle (one is fine) to squirt water on yourself when you get hot (unless you are at the beach the entire time).

2 water bottles (you can refill)

Sunglasses

Lip Balm

Sunscreen (I buy travel size)

Bug Spray (if you need it..some ports do)

2 disposable water cameras

I'm not sure about towels

Room Supplies:

Clothespins (for keeping the shower curtain from clinging to you)

DeWrinkle Spray (if you want)

Pop up Laundry bag (not necessary)

Alarm Clock

Tolietries:

Small makeup bag

Few Jewlery (just for formal night)

Brush

2 Toothbrushes

Travel Size toothpaste

Small Shampoo Bottle

Body soap

Deodorant

(Hair dryer already in cabin)

Curling or flat iron

Razor/Shaving creams

Clothes:

1-2 PJ's each (unless you like naked, then a robe) (Personally one for the week is enough for me).

Shirts/Pants/Shorts (I would bring more shirts than pants and shorts..you can mix and match)

(I personally am planning to bring 5 shirts for me, 1 pair of shorts (all I have), 2 black slacks, 1 jeans, 1 capri pants and my formal (I have a formal top for 2nd night). 4 shoes (tennis shoes, dress shoes, flip flops, and black shoes). My husband will likely bring 1 pair of shorts, 2 jeans, 4 shirts, 2 slacks, a suit (with 2 shirts and ties) and 2 shoes).

7 pair of underwear each

2 bras

7 pairs of socks each (unless you are bringing flip flops, then much less)

· I recommend bringing CLEAR duct tape especially for the instant strapless bra effect!

· My daughter got a pair of socks for Christmas that had a zipper compartment in them. It's big enought for a credit card/room key.

· At Walmart they have a whole puncher called a Buggles. It's the size of a mini stapler and sells for $3.88. I found it in the Craft section/ Fabric area on one of those small hanging displays near the end of an aisle. They had a stapler, whole punch, and a pencil sharpener variety. Best part,it has a hook and holder.

· I know it sounds funny, but if you bring one of those milk bone dog treats, its great to use while snorkeling. In St. Thomas we snorkeled off of a beach and would brake off tiny peices of the dog bone and feed it to the fish. they would take it right out of our hands and we were surrounded by fish! It made for some really nice pictures!

· One of the things I can't do without on my travels is what I call my "saddlebag" that I got from Eddie Bauer which I use instead of a purse. It goes over your shoulder around your body, has multiple pouches for passports, documents, pens, etc. a clip for keys, a hidden zipper compartment in the handle and a larger compartment for small paperbacks,etc. Everything is right in front of you.

· If you wear a different shade of makeup in the summer than you do at the time of your cruise, pack it! I looked like a ghost wearing the foundation I brought after my face and body tanned!

· I always stick my room key in my bra.

· I am an accident prone kinda guy (35 year old mtn biker/jock) one who......scraps, bumps, trips, slams, hits, bangs every body part.....you get it..........so every cruise, DW, packs the Gauze, extra bandaids, first aid little kit, and my knee brace(velcro) and elbow brace and ankle brace------all like $5 at Target....this way as soon as I trip or stumble, out comes the brace.... this helps me get around, and avoid visiting the doctor on board.

SO, pack up:

Nylon/gauze/ankle wrapping for sprains, strains, aches, trips and slips--they are going to happen, of course to me, alllllllllllllll theeeeeeeeeeee timmmmmmmmmeeee!

· We take a clock radio with CD player built in.

· DH and I were grocery shopping last weekend, and we found a nifty little item to pack. It's a corkscrew with a wide flat plastic handle at the top, and a cone-shaped cover over the screw that has a rubber band around the center. The handle flips open to reveal a foil cutter. When the whole thing is assembled, you place the cone shaped portion in the opened wine bottle, and it acts as a stopper. The rubber band then acts as a seal. It was hanging on a random shelf in the supermarket, and cost $2. We also go camping a lot, so we will get a lot of use out of this. When we buy the shoe bag next week, this is going in it!

· My best friend and I pack some of those nose strips for sleeping times because the more we drink and/or the more tired we are the more one or both of us snores and keeps the other awake (they really do work). We also take a white noise machine and one of those clip on 5" desk fans for the times in the caribbean when it is just too hot! Gotta LOVE those balcony cabins....no matter how hot it is we seem to need to have the balcony door open whenever we are in the cabin

· I take those removable wall hooks to use within the cabin and in the bathroom. These are the white ones that you "pull the strip" to remove them later, not the suction cup ones.

I also take a large skirt safety pin. This is the type of skirt pin that used to be used on scottish kilts. You can buy a pack of 2 pins at any JoAnn fabrics or other fabric store. I take my cruise card to the purser's office and have them punch a hole into my card. Then I safety pin it to whatever I'm wearing! Works great as I don't usually have pockets!

· I can't travel without my itty bitty book light -- I like to read a bit after DH and DDs are in bed.

· address book with snail mail and e-mail addresses

· nail clippers and a nail file. I think I am going to bring a small thing of super glue for my nails.

· Bring Liquid spray on Bandaids! The new over the counter stuff doesnt sting, has a Antibiotic, is water proof, and stays on for 3 to 7 days!

· Also a must have is Preperation H Cooling Gel - not for hemorrohoids but for sunburns. It works wonders!

· Some folks from Georgia explained it to me this way: Duct Tape is half of the Red Neck Tool Kit. The other half is WD40. Now I would not suggest packing WD40 or any other aerosol cans in your luggage especially if you are flying, but here is how it works: If it moves and it's not supposed to then you use the Duct Tape to fix it. If it is supposed to move and does not, then you hit it with the WD40.

More on Duct Tape: Someone in the thread above mentioned blisters. The Georgian Folks I mentioned above coat the bottoms of the feet with Duct Tape prior to hiking to prevent blisters. I have since begun using this approach and can attest to its success. I cover only the areas known to blister. I have yet to have a blister using this approach. There are many supposed remedies for blisters once they have occurred. This likely will prevent them from ever forming. If you know where you tend to get blisters, try cladding that area of you feet with Duct Tape. It sometimes gets gummy and sticks to your socks, but it is a small price to pay for being blister free. If you do not like the silver (Aluminum) colored Duct Tape, you can now buy "Clear" for a premium price.

· I got a mailer tube and cut it to 10 inches length, put our birth certificates in a freezer ziplock, rolled them up and put 'em in the tube. Put the ends on, and voila, crush-proof travel docs.

· one thing you might consider packing is your packing list to make sure you don't leave behind anything valuable on the ship.

· A flat, round, plastic bubble-maker and small bottle of bubbles on the balcony for when you sail away. I love bubbles!!

· For those who drink a little too much the night before, the Hangover Cure

1. Take 2 aspirins

2. Take 200mg cysteine (available at specialty food stores)

3. Take 600mg vitamin C

4. Take 1 tablet vitamin B-complex

And for the people who bring blenders aboard (or you may be able to have something like this made at breakfast for you):

5. Mix the following ingredients together in a blender:

1 banana

1 small can V-8

6 large strawberries

2 tablespoons honey

1 cup orange juice

1-2 cups milk (or soy milk), to desired consistency

¼ tsp. salt

dash of nutmeg

Drink it all down

And of course, lots of fluids (water, Gatorade, Maalox, and bullion soup for lunch of you still feel like crud then.)

Stay away from coffee and other caffeinated beverages.

• What about shrink wrap? Good for almost anything...

• Here are some things I found really useful on the cruise:

LED keychain light--ours was red, so as not to screw up your night vision (for hunting for things in your cabin at night w/o having to turn on the main light; should be on a lanyard hung in a consistent location)

pad of post-it notes

highlighter

pens and sharpies

safety pins (my husband left his belt at secuirty in the terminal; my son's clip-on tie was broken)

Our own first-aid kit (including imodium, aspirin, etc.)

night light

power strip or outlet increaser thingie is essential

rechargeable AA and AAA batteries and battery charger

alarm clock (natch)

99 cent inflatable swim ring for the pool (our kids loved it at sea in the "kiddie pool": 1.5 ft. deep pool with 1.5 ft. high waves)

lanyards form home depot (altho I bought a cute cloth disco purse just big enough to hold a passport and a sail'n'sign card for a buck at the pier in Progreso)

corkscrew and your own wine for dinner, if your cruise ship allows you to bring wine, as Carnival does (if you bring a bottle already opened, but corked, to dinner, and it's a common winery like Kendall Jackson or Mondavi, they might assume you bought it on the ship the previous night, or at one of the bars on board, and were just finishing the bottle and they probably won't charge the corkage fee)

roll of quarters and concentrated clothes soap (Target sells Method brand, which is in a small bottle). You can always buy a roll of quarters in the casino; however, when I did laundry the casino was closed and I was glad I brought my own

small stuffed animal for each child--our 5-year old loved having Alex from Madagascar sharing his experience, plus the cleaning staff posed him with towel creations at turn-down service. So sweet!

thin sanitary pads (my 5-year old got, er, a touch of the runs, so we gave him an "underpants protector" to use; we also could have begged a disposable diaper off the infirmary staff, if the situation were worse)

a packet of powdered gatorade *would have been* useful to have along

Follow-up items:

Bungee cords not needed on Carnival's Elation. The beds have a clip to hold the beds together.

Ship's water perfectly drinkable...just tastes distilled. Save bottled water for excursion, altho all of our excursions gave us water. In Belize, the dive boat had these cool little iced, bags of water...astronaut water! On ship, I often took a drink-of-the-day cup up to the buffet area and filled it up with cold water before heading back to the cabin.

We took magnets, clips, and duct tape, but never used them. I think they're good to have "just in

• I just bought an insulated water bottle with a shoulder strap & pocket that's just the right size for $$ or S&S card. Should make it easy to take on shore excursions.

• I bring a mini first aid kit. Great for beach, excursions, etc! Comes in handy with kids except so far the adults are the only ones that have needed to use it. I bring duct tape, a collapsing shoe organizer (for handbags, belts, walkman, etc) Saves us tons of room!

• Take slipper socks instead of house shoes. Easier to pack.

• I just picked up a clear card holder on a retractable clip at Wal Mart for 97 cents. You can clip it on your belt, pocket, etc and just pull on it to use. I even splurged for one for my husband!

• I take my clothes out of the closet on their hangers and pack them in my suitcase. When I unpack, I pick up the clothes on their hangers from the suitcase and hang them in the closet. It takes me about ten minutes to pack and unpack my clothes.

• I swear by Shout Wipes

• I take a Credit Card to pay my sail and sign

• We have taken walkie talkies to communicate on the ship. They work well for locating or the other half.

Don't forget to take a copy of all of your id, and credit cards just in case.

Bring postage. What is really fun is to send a post card home from every port and/or just once a day to yourself. Write about the day or send future message to yourself. They come sometimes days and even weeks after you are home. But it's a great reminder of how much fun you had and put's a smile on your face after the cruise. Post cruising depression usually sets in as soon as you get home and will last for about a week.

• We bring small kleenix tissue packets for use in the facilities when we go on shore excursions.

• we carry a compass. We like to rent a car when visiting an island and road signs are not always easy to find. With a compass you can at least find the general direction you want to go.

• Take Tide to Go. Takes stains out. Easy to carry in purse, fanny pack, etc.

Take small notepad and take notes of where you went, who you met, what you did. You would be surprised how much is forgotten. Fun to go back and read your notes as you look at your pictures.

• Polarized Sunglasses - you'll see alot more sea creatures in the water as you look over the side of the ship!!!

Also, a hat or visor (with a chinstrap or clips if it's a favorite and you're going on a sailing excursion).

Waterproof case for ID - they usually sell these on the ships, but if you already have one you don't need to buy again.

· Adolphs Meat Tenderizer For Stings

· A small plastic or bamboo "Cafeteria" tray. If you like to go to the buffett, and bring your sleepy loved one back some hot breakfast in bed, and are not thrilled by the room service menu, a small tray is invaluable

· I bring my own washcloths to wash my face with.

· Don't forget the Maxi Deet (98.11% deet even though it claims to be 100%) or a similar bug spray.

· We also bring a bottle of diet root beer to make root beer floats with, flavored liquid creamers that don't need refrigeration for morning coffee on our balcony, a bottle of moderately priced champagne for mimosas on our balcony.

I remember reading this about a year ago and since Avril has spent so much time and energy on this, I thought it was time to bring it to the forefront again. Thank You Avril! p.s Go Sabres......:D

You know I don't mean to sound negative, but October of 07 we went on the Carnival Pride and I was reading about all the extra things that we should take with us. So I went out and bought all this stuff thinking I needed it all and you know we never even used any of this stuff. The only thing that I think is worth taking is a power strip. That's it. The bungee cord to hold the balcony door open didn't even work.

You can bring the duct tape with just in case your suitcase rips, but really what are the odds, or the over the door shoe thingy which we didn't need cause the Pride had plenty of shelves in the bathroom, or highlighters and notepads. Didn't use either etc. You know, I realized my suitcase would of been alot lighter if we didn't bring any of this uneccesary stuff.

Next cruise were not bringing any of it. Just the power strip.

Everyone go on your cruises and have a ball. Don't be bothered with spending extra money and dragging all this extra stuff with. Just enjoy your cruises. Have fun.

Debbie :)

You know I don't mean to sound negative, but October of 07 we went on the Carnival Pride and I was reading about all the extra things that we should take with us. So I went out and bought all this stuff thinking I needed it all and you know we never even used any of this stuff. The only thing that I think is worth taking is a power strip. That's it. The bungee cord to hold the balcony door open didn't even work.

You can bring the duct tape with just in case your suitcase rips, but really what are the odds, or the over the door shoe thingy which we didn't need cause the Pride had plenty of shelves in the bathroom, or highlighters and notepads. Didn't use either etc. You know, I realized my suitcase would of been alot lighter if we didn't bring any of this uneccesary stuff.

Next cruise were not bringing any of it. Just the power strip.

Everyone go on your cruises and have a ball. Don't be bothered with spending extra money and dragging all this extra stuff with. Just enjoy your cruises. Have fun.

Debbie :)

Debbie, I agree with you about some of that stuff...but IF you cruise very much, sooner or later you have a VERY good chance of needing the duct tape..and I always travel with my highlighter as I always hight light what I want to do each day...and I give hubby a copy of it,so he will know where I am if he needs me..sometimes you just dont want to carry your cell phone around with you,but that little piece of paper folds up and fits right into his pocket..or mine! I also take the dental repair kit from Walmart and keep it in my travel bag ..its $4.50 at Walmart and the VERY SAME kit is $25. on the ship!!! Last cruise I took, I sold it to someone onboard that was going to have to buy the $25 one from the ship...Dot

I don't bring most of the stuff that has been suggested. I've never had a need for the over-the-door thingy.

I do bring: duct tape, highlighter, bungee cord (worked great on the Carnival Spirit to hold the door open), travel clock (has an iPod doc as a bonus) and power strip, as well as a selection of OTC meds and bandages. None of that stuff takes up that much room.

• 1 month later...

Whew! Read the list today--so much for doing housework! lol.

I have an 8 yr old. We had a few of her movies that she watched while we were getting ready. Kept her entertained when there weren't things she liked on tv.

Take books for your kids to read, especially if they read at bedtime. Whatever it takes to keep them on their bedtime routine.

Backpacks for the kids--let them carry their own things on excursions--why should mom or dad have to carry their towels too?

Small gifts for them to give--my daughter LOVES to give gifts to the staff so she really enjoyed that we'd brought a few items.

Spray on deodorant---if you're walking alot and your feet are sweating, you're develop blisters. Spray your feet and it will stop blisters from occuring. We've done this at Disney World and haven't had a blister since. Just re-spray your feet after swimming.

Bring a few "surprise" items for kiddos--like tshirts, small trinkets, etc. It will cut way down on their begging you for new toys/items if you've had something to give them. And you can often find stuff at home for much cheaper than when you're traveling. We NEVER go to disney world without souviners already packed.

I've seen earplugs---but remember, there are those to block out sound and there are those for swimmers prone to ear problems.

Hope this helps. Don't think I've seen any of these suggestions already...

Extra hangers are a must! Also a laundry bag so that you can put the dirty clothes in it and then put the bag into your suitcase. This helps when you have clean clothes and you dont want to mix them. I always bring a little fanny pack, although it is not very attractive I can fit my ID and $$ into when making short trips onshore for shopping, I too carry ziplock bags and keep everything in one to avoid anything getting wet.

Another usefull tidbit is that if you are going to shop for liquor do some pricing at your local store so that you can really see if you are getting a bargin in port or on the ship.

• 1 month later...

Since this list is so long could not be sure if this was listed for the people who wear glasses. I have purchased a "Sports Cord" Adjustable Eyewear Retainer so that when looking overboard your glasses if they slip off will not be lost they will stay around your neck.

That's a long list up there! Another thing I found useful to bring along is a small hard plastic box. You never know when you might need one.

What size is the box you bring and what reasons have you used it?

Archived