Duct Tape, Collapsible Water Bottles, Hi-lite Pens, Anything Else?

mahreeya

• Polarized Sunglasses - you'll see alot more sea creatures in the water as you look over the side of the ship!!!
  • Also, a hat or visor (with a chinstrap or clips if it's a favorite and you're going on a sailing excursion).
  • Waterproof case for ID - they usually sell these on the ships, but if you already have one you don't need to buy again.

:rolleyes: We just returned from the Carnival Glory on 5/27 and I wish we had taken a bottle opener. All of the beer bottles are now aluminum cans without twist off lids. If you order a bucket and want to carry it with you to your room or anywhere else, the bartenders have to open them all at once. This, of course, results in drinking them way too fast. :p

Don't forget the super glue! I know this sounds weird but super glue is great for small cuts or cracks on your heels. My father-in-law owns a framing store and he is constantly cutting his hands on the glass. He simply puts some super glue in the cut and holds it closed for a minute and voila....the cut is held together. I have tried it several times and it does not sting or anything....works great!

Instead of taking plastic hangers, take the wire ones. They aren't as big and then you can just throw them away at the end of the trip to make more room in your bag.

Or, instead of throwing them away, leave them behind for the next cruisers.:)

I know it's been said before but the one thing i won't go without this time is a light up alarm clock. I was really surprised they didn't have one in the room. Other then that maybe a short, light extension cord with multiple plugs at the end...especially handy if you have many rechargeable items.

Just returned from cruise on Jewel of the Seas to the Baltic (WONDERFUL). I had read all the posts in preparation, and the best items I took were the over-the-door shoe thing and a NIGHTLIGHT! We had an inside cabin, so it was very valuable. The cabin had two plugs, so didn't need the extension cord at all. Just posted a cruise review if anyone is interested.

We have searched high and low for Tide Tabs and Downy Wrinkle Release. Sounds like two products that will work well for our large family. Finally called P and G and they have discontinued both items. Any other great suggestions?

Hi,

these products aren't discontinued, I just bought both at walmart last week for my up coming cruise.

The bottle of the de wrinkler bottle is a little differant but it's the same stuff.

enjoy your trip.:D ;)

this is for ladies with sensitive skin....I bring my own washcloths to wash my face with...I have sensitive skin and the washcloths on the ship have so much bleach in them that they make my face peel and break out ;) gotta do what ya gotta do to cruise :p

Don't forget the Maxi Deet (98.11% deet even though it claims to be 100%) or a similar bug spray. I know I react worse than most to mosquito and other bug bites. I swell up huge like a baseball in the area of the bite. I have had my eye swell shut 3 times due to bug bites so I also pack Benadryl to apply if a bug bites me near my eye as I have found it will prevent my eye from swelling shut.

Don't forget the super glue! I know this sounds weird but super glue is great for small cuts or cracks on your heels. My father-in-law owns a framing store and he is constantly cutting his hands on the glass. He simply puts some super glue in the cut and holds it closed for a minute and voila....the cut is held together. I have tried it several times and it does not sting or anything....works great!

It's true had a really bad cut on my knee a few months back, it really required stitches, but I didn't want to wait forever in the ER and frankly I was just to lazy to go anywhere so I just super glued it shut. Sure I have a scar but it worked! My husband has used it for similar situations as he's the one who taught me the trick.

We have been for almost 20 years cruising and the shoe bag was the first thing that we found was a must... Post it notes with my parrot stamp on it to leave messages on doors or windows, two mesh bags..one for white and one for colored clothes so that when we arrive home the laundry is all separated.. and inthose bags we place liquor and breakables.. The newest must have is Febreeze to spray the clothes from smoke...depending on which port, if we have to fly we do not take aerosols.. Actually, we have a "necessities" bag which starts off with the shoe bag..and the contents we will want to put in itl.. all in a zippered plastic bag... the shoe bag contents has taken a life of it's own.. there is a little flashlight, liquid soap, tanning lotions, wooden clothes pins, a stretch clothes line.. of course there is always emergency medicine kit filled with alcohol wipes, bandaids, Antibiotic cream, antacids... When I find I'm buying make up I put the extra makeup in the necessities bag...and shower washes.. When we arrive home I go over the necessities bag and if I remember put a post it note on what needs to be refilled and added. Oh yes.. there is always a huge heavy duty trash bag or two. One of the newest things I've seen they've adapted.. I've take little tubs of Crystal Lite iced tea mix and lemonade (now they have individual packets) and make my own lemonade and iced tea when I'm tired of drinks with liquor.. BTW in E.R. there is a form of "super glue bnow beiing used for sutures.,lol On our last cruise I put a smaller size suitcAse in our 30" and used it for bringing home items...

• 2 weeks later...

Wow.

I have absolutely nothing to add. LOL. But if I think of anything that wasn't mentioned...except the kitchen sink...I'll be sure to post it here!

Oh, I do know that one thing we wished we'd packed on our last cruise was sunburn stuff. We had to pay an arm and a leg in the gift shop for it. You can bet that bottle will be one of the first things packed this time!!

wow...alot of overpacking here.....i have only once not been able to find an item i needed on board (contact lens case).....the duct tape i do take and a travel alarm, but I have never figured out a need for that organizer to hang on the back of the door, or a power strip...maybe because there are only two of us in our cabin!

Beverly

It's doubtful that you could overload a circuit in that big ship! There are 2 outlets in every cabin, whether inside or out...so an extension cord with a power strip is an absolute necessity! Happy sailing!:)

wow...alot of overpacking here.....i have only once not been able to find an item i needed on board (contact lens case).....the duct tape i do take and a travel alarm, but I have never figured out a need for that organizer to hang on the back of the door, or a power strip...maybe because there are only two of us in our cabin!

Beverly

The over the dor deal is the best:) It is so handy.... Anything used on a regular basis is in easy reach. At first I felt the same way as you:mad: Why????

It is the best, easy to see, locate, and return. As for the power strip, just figure out how many things you need to plug in, and then add 1 or 2 and thats the type of outlet you need. Power strip or maybe three outlet extention cord. I like the freedom that an extention cord adds. I take both.:cool:

• 1 month later...

We do many of what you all have suggested. We also bring a bottle of diet root beer to make root beer floats with, flavored liquid creamers that don't need refrigeration for morning coffee on our balcony, a bottle of moderately priced champagne for mimosas on our balcony. Enjoy!

Lynne

SAIL AWAY.....................LEAVE THE WORLD BEHIND!

We do many of what you all have suggested. We also bring a bottle of diet root beer to make root beer floats with, flavored liquid creamers that don't need refrigeration for morning coffee on our balcony, a bottle of moderately priced champagne for mimosas on our balcony. Enjoy!

Lynne

SAIL ON....................LEAVE THE WORLD BEHIND!

The one thing I will absolutely take with me are baby wipes. Mexico can be horrible for bathrooms - no toilet paper, no clean area to wash hands, etc. So, along with the anti-bacterial hand wash, the baby wipes are indespensible!!

• 2 weeks later...
These tips are great....do I need to bring my own blow dryer???? What about shampoo...is it in the rooms. Thanks a bunch...have fun y'all....CC:p

I would take the blow dryer because you never know if the one in the room will work or not. There wasn't shampoo the last few times we have gone. They seem to have the shower jel for washing but have dropped the shampoo and conditioner. I'm sure if you ask for soom they will find a small bottle for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Alot of great ideas on this post so if this was already mentioned, oh well you read it twice:D .

For us who wear eye glasses carrying a second pair is priceless if you break or lose a pair, and an eye glass screw driver (repair kit) to tighten loose lens can come in very handy.

Archived