How often does a "guaranty" provide an upgrade??

Traveler723

We have booked a guaranty cabin on the NCL SUN for December. There are no cabins left that category. What are the odds of getting an upgrade???

Very good. I always book with a guarantee, and have always recevied an upgrade to a higher class cabin. Did you book an Oceanvew, Inside, or Balcony?

On the Sun, there's only 4 H Oceanviews, 2 N Insides, and 2 BE Balconies aboard. These are the classifications NCL uses for those booking with a guarantee. If 100 guarantee bookings occur for each category, only 2% to 4% don't get an upgrade. And I would bet more than 100 cabins are booked with a guarantee for each category.

Our TA is upselling us from a K to a CC, we will then be upgraded for fre ( by NCL ) to a DD. Then we will be given a room # , what are our chances of getting the balcony we wanted? (getting upgraded 3 cats). If not how much would NCL offer it to us for? any geusses?:rolleyes:

We booked a GTY inside about a month ago on the Jewel. I kept watching the prices and when the oceanview prices dropped, I called my TA who got me upgraded to a GTY oceanview (ended up assigned a cat G - obstructed). Just this past weekend the balcony rates fell and I got my TA to call NCL to see about another upgrade. After some quibbling, the NCL rep got a supervisor to allow the upgrade. It was to a cat BE GTY but later in the day we were assigned to a cat BA (the highest balcony category!). I think we got a little lucky but this proves it can be done. Needless to say we are ecstatic!

My best advice is to be persistent and see if they will accomodate you. Be aware that NCL won't talk to you so your TA will need to be agressive.

I am so amazed...a GTY inside to a BA balcony!! WOW! I think I'll faint if we end up in a mini-suite! Fat chance I know...it doesn't matter at all though...we are extremely happy! :)

We booked a GTY inside about a month ago on the Jewel. I kept watching the prices and when the oceanview prices dropped, I called my TA who got me upgraded to a GTY oceanview (ended up assigned a cat G - obstructed). Just this past weekend the balcony rates fell and I got my TA to call NCL to see about another upgrade. After some quibbling, the NCL rep got a supervisor to allow the upgrade. It was to a cat BE GTY but later in the day we were assigned to a cat BA (the highest balcony category!). I think we got a little lucky but this proves it can be done. Needless to say we are ecstatic!

My best advice is to be persistent and see if they will accomodate you. Be aware that NCL won't talk to you so your TA will need to be agressive.

I am so amazed...a GTY inside to a BA balcony!! WOW! I think I'll faint if we end up in a mini-suite! Fat chance I know...it doesn't matter at all though...we are extremely happy! :)

Something similar happened to our friends on The Jewel 5/21 sailing. They had an inside, and a day or two before sailing were offered an upsell to the highest level balcony for $100 each -- wow! I had booked a guaranteed balcony, and was upgraded a category or so. They ended up paying $800 less than we did for a higher category of balcony cabin.

We just got back from the Dawn where we had booked a GTY inside. 3 weeks before the cruise, I checked to find out that we were assigned an inside cabin on deck 11 forward. This was a great location since it is only one deck below the pool and buffet deck as well as being a short walk from the main lounge and theater.

We have booked an October cruise on the Star and currently have a GTY inside cabin assignment on deck 4. I am sure we will be upgraded to a higher deck before we sail.

• 2 weeks later...
We have booked an October cruise on the Star and currently have a GTY inside cabin assignment on deck 4. I am sure we will be upgraded to a higher deck before we sail.

Do you mean that you have already been assigned a cabin # for October, CT? We booked GTY inside for the Sun in September, and got assigned an oceanview cabin # as of the other day. I was just wondering about the chances of further upgrades, so that IS a possibility?

Do you mean that you have already been assigned a cabin # for October, CT? We booked GTY inside for the Sun in September, and got assigned an oceanview cabin # as of the other day. I was just wondering about the chances of further upgrades, so that IS a possibility?

Yes, I checked and we have been assigned cabin 4009.

I will check on it weekly to see if they move us to a higher deck inside.

I don't expect the cruise to be sold out since it is early October and the kids are back in school.

We are sailing NCL for the first time next week and had booked a BF balcony guarantee for $790. (only 4 of these cabins on the ship). Within a week were were assiged a BC balcony worth $1300, per their website so we made out well.

On our last RC cruise we booked an obstructed view outside guarantee and rec'd exactly that and a good location midship.

So I guess it is really the luck of the draw but we always book a guarantee in the category we would be happy with and if upgraded, an extra bonus, if not we feel we still get the best price this way.

Archived