New Carnival Cruiser - Help

TeachKinde

Just booked a Carnival cruise in July for Mexico. (I teach and am limited as to the times I can vacation.... thus .... Mexico in the Summer.)

Anyhow.... It's our 25th wedding anniversary - What would you all suggest to do/see to make our vacation special?

We've cruised only once before to Alaska. Loved it. Looking forward to relaxing.

Any tips, or suggestions about seating, embarkation (is that spelled right?), all the stuff newbies need to know. We're flying into Long Beach from Seattle. My husband thinks flying the same day as we depart will be just fine but I'm a little worried about that. If our scheduled flight arrives before noon and the ship leaves at 4:00 pm do you think it's going to work out OK? I'm concerned about cancelled flights and/or delays.

Thanks for all your input. Secrets are especially appreciated!

Bev

To be honest - I would never fly in the day of. Too much can happen. We always go in at least the day before. If you read these boards you will find that most others will say the same thing. To me - JMHO - it is worth the night in the hotel to ensure I am at the port the next day before that ship sails. Plus being one of the first on gives you the opportunity to check out the ship - fresh and relaxed, not stressed from worry and flying.

As far as the rest of the stuff - start reading this board and the ports of call boards - you will learn a lot.

Have a great time on your cruise.

I think your biggest problem flying in the same day is the LA traffic, you get off the plane, get your luggage and fid a taxi, by this time is may be 1pm, then you could be stuck in traffic for an hour, thats cutting it a bit close, maybe you can talk to hubby again and tell him there are some very nice hotels in Long Beach and in the morning you won't be rushed to get to the ship.

I live in Los Angles and I was on the Pride in May 2004. The last two Sundays I tried to get to the port so I could take some more pictures of the Pride (like the one below) but traffic was so bad I had to turn around and go back home.

Next is the airport. I flew into LAX late on May 6 (returning from my cruise on the Glory). It took me an hour just to get out of the airport (most of that time was in baggage claim). From LAX to Long Beach, plan at least an hour unless you are arriving very early in the day.

So, one, I would fly in the day before. Two, if I was flying in the day of, I would want to land around 10:00am or earlier. Three, if you were heading east instead of north when you fly out the following Sunday, this is what you would see (the Pride docks where the Paradise is docked) ...

LongBeach.jpg

If you are flying on a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Saturday, this is what you would see ...

LongBeachaerial.jpg

Once you arrive, this is what you will see ...

PrideinLongBeach.jpg

Unfortunately you might also see this ...

IMG_0119.jpg

And this is what I am hoping to get a picture of ...

IMG_1125.jpg

Seeing how it's your 25th Wedding Anniversary, treat yourself to a night at a hotel before the cruise. You deserve it. Why risk ruining your vacation. You'll be glad you did.

That could be your gift to him. Surprise him with the hotel reservations. Try Priceline. I've read where people get great deals on hotels through them.

I can not stress the above recommendations to fly in a day ahead enough.

In the "good ole days", we always flew in the day of the cruise. However, that was before flying became a cattle call. Airlines overbook the flights and so when there is any kind of mechanical or weather issue, there are less seats to get the stranded passengers to their destination.

LAX is a zoo to say the least. If you are flying into John Wayne, it is still a gamble but less of one.

The expense of one night in a hotel and a couple of meals is well worth having a stressfree vacation.

Always go in the day before. Nothing would be sadder than arriving at the port just in time to see the ship sailing away...Why take the chance. You have already forked over a bundle for a great vacation; what's another coupla bucks. And - being your anniversary, have a nice dinner somewhere.

Enjoy your cruise!

I live in Los Angles and I was on the Pride in May 2004. The last two Sundays I tried to get to the port so I could take some more pictures of the Pride (like the one below) but traffic was so bad I had to turn around and go back home.

Next is the airport. I flew into LAX late on May 6 (returning from my cruise on the Glory). It took me an hour just to get out of the airport (most of that time was in baggage claim). From LAX to Long Beach, plan at least an hour unless you are arriving very early in the day.

So, one, I would fly in the day before. Two, if I was flying in the day of, I would want to land around 10:00am or earlier. Three, if you were heading east instead of north when you fly out the following Sunday, this is what you would see (the Pride docks where the Paradise is docked) ...

LongBeach.jpg

If you are flying on a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Saturday, this is what you would see ...

LongBeachaerial.jpg

Once you arrive, this is what you will see ...

PrideinLongBeach.jpg

Unfortunately you might also see this ...

IMG_0119.jpg

And this is what I am hoping to get a picture of ...

IMG_1125.jpg

Hey - YOu are pretty talented - I like your stilo!!

Just booked a Carnival cruise in July for Mexico. (I teach and am limited as to the times I can vacation.... thus .... Mexico in the Summer.)

Anyhow.... It's our 25th wedding anniversary - What would you all suggest to do/see to make our vacation special?

We've cruised only once before to Alaska. Loved it. Looking forward to relaxing.

Any tips, or suggestions about seating, embarkation (is that spelled right?), all the stuff newbies need to know. We're flying into Long Beach from Seattle. My husband thinks flying the same day as we depart will be just fine but I'm a little worried about that. If our scheduled flight arrives before noon and the ship leaves at 4:00 pm do you think it's going to work out OK? I'm concerned about cancelled flights and/or delays.

Thanks for all your input. Secrets are especially appreciated!

Bev

I would recommend flying in the night or day before - Besides it gives you some time to relax and unwind and take in the local area a little bit and maybe get some dinner. That way you can also arrive at the port early and the sooner you get on board the sooner your vacation starts.....I think the best time to arrive is 11:00 am. :rolleyes:

We were the last people sprinting onto the Sensation a couple of years ago. It is not a good feeling. I always go the day before now. Besides if you go the day before and they ask at the airport who is wiling to be change to a later flight you'l get free flights for next time!

We were on the Pride 2 years ago ~ loved it!

We flew in the day our cruise started, a short 2 hour flight arriving at noon. We made it, BUT.....we were delayed on the runway before taking off from our departure airport (Reno) due to fog in L.A. They didn't know if we would be able to go or if we might be stuck there, possibly for an hour or longer. We did get to take off, but I was so stressed out while we were sitting there waiting, I was a basket case! Our son flew out of San Francisco airport and had the same problem. Bottom line ~ I will never fly in the day of the cruise again. Even short flights can be delayed and it's not worth the stress. Go the day before if AT ALL possible.

Next, I would not recommend using Carnival transfers from the airport if you do fly in the day of the cruise. We were stuck in the airport for almost 3 hours waiting for the Carnival shuttle. The Pride had been delayed getting in that morning and the shuttles were all waiting for the passengers at the pier, to bring them to the airport. We were almost the last ones on the ship, and it was after 5 pm. If we had used a taxi or Super Shuttle or something, we would have been at the pier several hours earlier.

Have fun, and congratulations on your 25th wedding anniversary! :)

Archived