Chilled Peach Soup

I LOVE chilled fruit soups. One of the best I ever had was a chilled watermellon soup with just a hint of cayenne for little zing. I've tried to duplicate it myself with no success.:(

Are you speaking of the Watermelon Gazpacho? If so try this recipe:

2 cups 1/4-inch-diced watermelon

2 cups Fresh Squeezed orange juice (You can use frozen in a pinch)

2 tablespoons fruity extra-virgin olive oil

1 seedless cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch dice. You can also use a seeded cucumber with the seeds removed.

1 small yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice

1 small onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice

2 medium garlic cloves, minced

1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional)

3 tablespoons fresh lime juice

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, basil or cilantro

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Process 1/2 cup of watermelon, along with the orange juice and oil, in a blender or food processor until pureed. Transfer to a medium bowl, along with remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve. (Can be made several hours before serving.)

This is a take on the one in a USA Today article.

and the berries-and-buttermilk, and.... I can't remember what else exactly, but with 9 nights of dinner there were a lot of good fruit soups!

YUMMY stuff huh??? I am starving right now. I had foot surgery last Thursday and have not been eating my "quota" lol. Actually, I really havent eaten ANYTHING. My husbands friend just opened a new resturant (cant go cause of my foot) tonight and it's "tester night". What that means to me is he is bringing home ribs, chicken, shrimp and other YUMMY stuff. Steak too!

Plus, I made a blueberry cobbler. That, with ice cream, will top me off great tonight. Oink, Oink...

Waiter? Can I please have a cup of tea? Honey please.....:p

• 1 month later...

The chilled fruit soups didn't do much for me when we were on the Explorer in March, but the guys at our table loved the strawberry soup... poured over ice cream for dessert! Our waiter mentioned that this isn't an uncommon way to eat it.

As for me, RCI used to have a chilled cucumber soup on their menu, which I thought was terriffic, but when I asked about it on our most recent cruise, I was told it is no longer on the menu. What a disappointment:( Anyone have that recipe?

The only one I really don't care for is Strawberry. It tastes like they just poured Strawberry Daquiri bottled mix right into a bowl! LOL!

And what is wrong with that!!!:D:D

Actually the chilled strawberry bisque is my absolute favorite, though followed closely by the chilled peach and chilled pear soups. A very wonderful way to start off my meal, since I oftentimes pass on the appetizers.:) The only ones that don't appeal to me are the watermelon gazpacho and the chilled cucumber, but hey, no one is perfect.;)

:) We had the pleasure of cruising with Bill & Rita on the Jewel Tranatlantic last fall and enjoyed our time with them. Do give Captain James my very best when you see him...Ray has booked a Penthouse with Celebrity for our next cruise.

Sandy

Sandy - when is your Celebrity cruise? We just booked a Sky suite on the Constellation 2007 westbound transatlantic, because RCI cancelled next year's Jewel TA cruise that we had booked. Got the sky suite for less than we were paying for a D1 on the Jewel and the itinerary is very much the same. Only disadvantage, and a slight one at that, is that it leaves us off in NJ instead of Boston. Say hi to Boss Ray and Monty from Rita and me. We still talk about the great times we had last year and your gracious hospitality in the Royal suite.:)

I think that Captain James will be on vacation by the time we board in late October and Captain Tor will be there in his place. If I am wrong, I will certainly extend your best wishes to Captain James.

Ok, maybe I'm totally imagining this, but isn't there a banana soup offered one night that comes with rum? Maybe on Caribbean night? I haven't had it, but I seem to remember seeing it on a menu. Sound familiar to anybody? Tell me I'm not crazy.

Okay, I too have never tried the chilled soups but you all have convinced me to give them a try!

Skittles, we are also on the Mariner on Sept 3rd and we too are from Ohio! Also a little nervous about the virus.... It would be terrible to be sick and confined to an interior cabin. :(

Sandy

Okay, I too have never tried the chilled soups but you all have convinced me to give them a try!

Skittles, we are also on the Mariner on Sept 3rd and we too are from Ohio! Also a little nervous about the virus.... It would be terrible to be sick and confined to an interior cabin. :(

Sandy

Bring your hand sanitizer with you and use it often. They have little purse size bottles that fit anywhere. Wash your hands faithfully. Every time you go to eat, especially the buffet, use it. Also after the dining room menu. Lots of people touch that. Every time you touch anything after someone else does, use it. Never put your hands to your face unless you have used your sanitizer before you do. That is your best chance of staying healthy on that cruise. ;)

Where in Ohio?

How many days til sunshine?

Ok we are ready and now to add to it all, I talked my Mom and her bestfriend into going w/ us. I can't wait for us all to have a great time especially Mom she has been thru so much lately with losing her Mom and now her sister is dying from brain cancer. I just hope nothing happens while we are at sea. If you see us please say hello........

See all of you Sept 3, 2006

Archived