Lawrence of Antigua - A Review 5/31/06

radarcruiser

:) Lawrence is the Man!! We booked via email with Lawrence at http://lawrenceofantigua.com/ based on earlier reviews on cruisecritic. We were not disappointed.

Lawrence was waiting for us at the designated spot just off the pier. As he had warned, a taxi driver tried to distract us by yelling "Lawrence over here". We continued on for a few yards and saw Lawrence's distinctive plaid vest and crome dome head. He welcomed us and we walked a short distance to his brand new 18 passenger Nissan Bus. (this is a new, clean small bus with comfortable seats and cold, cold air conditioning - not an extended mini-van the other guys use).

We had 6 people on the tour. This was a crying shame as many of our shipmates did not see the real allure of Anitgua we did thanks to Lawrence.

We left St. Johns and drove down Factory Road. Lawrence pointed out several interesting sights on our way to Shirley Heights. There, we stopped and viewed panoramic views of English and Falmouth Harbors. We continued on to the guard house overlloking to entrance to English Harbor. What a view!!!! From there Lawrence took us to the park HQ where we viewed a multimedia presentation on the history of Antigua. From there we motored down to Nelson's Boatyard:) . This is a must see. Most of the 18th century buildings have been restored and some are actually inns and restaurants.

Next we drove through the rainforest and along the southwest coast. We could see Montserratt in the distance.

My wife and I were the only two that wanted the optional beach stop. Lawrence dropped us off at Turner's beach. The beach was beautiful and safe. A few other tours drop folks there too. When we arrived only a few tourists were there, but by the time we left there was about 60 or so. We had lunch in the resatutant/bar there and it was very good. I highly recommend the curried conch. Lawrence returned 15 minuted prior to our agreed upon time and took to two of us back to the ship. We were back at about 3pm.

All of this for 55.00. I highly recommend Lawrence.

The tour (including the beach stop) referenced above was actually only 45.00!!! But it would have been worth 55.00. You do have to pay 5.00 to enter the National Park. I had to run out and missed the opprtunity to edit the post in time.

Linda - We did not go there, but, I'm sure Lawrence would take you if you asked. He really was, by far, the nicest person we dealt with on the trip. Be sure you see Shirley Heights and Nelsons Dockyard. I'd suggest you email him at lawrenceofantigua@yahoo.com and he will answer promptly.

BTW- If you look on his website it shows a pic of him in front of his old van. He has a brand new Nissan bus that is much better than the one in the pic.

Howard

• 1 month later...
The tour (including the beach stop) referenced above was actually only 45.00!!! But it would have been worth 55.00. You do have to pay 5.00 to enter the National Park. I had to run out and missed the opprtunity to edit the post in time.

That man sounds like a great tour guide...

The $45 you mention is that pp or total for both of you?

Also how long was you tour?

thanks for the info.

The price was 45.00 each if you wanted the optional beach stop in the afternoon. 35.00 each if you just wanted the tour. The tour itself was about 4 hours. Lawrence leaves it up to you how long you want to stay at Turner's Beach. When he drops you off you set a time for him to return. The beach was not crowded at all. We had no trouble getting a good spot under some shade. I'd really recommend the tour first as the beach is only a short drive from the ship. Better to get the National Park and Dockyard done early as they are all the way across the island. As for kids, there were none on our day, but I'm sure Lawrence can accomodate them. His bus is large and comfortable - with cool, cool air conditioning.

Archived