Oceania Cabin Question

schreibs

Sailing on 6-29-07 from Rome to Barcelona on the Insignia and was wondering which of the following cabins are the best: 7026, 7035, 7056. 7058 and 7074 or on deck 6, should we decide not to do concierge class, what would be the best cabin. Is being on the concierge level worth the extra money?

Thanks..

Not knowing what cabins on Deck 6 are avaiable to you, I'd suggest reserving 7056 or 7058. They're closer to the center of the ship, and as such, they tend to be less prone to the ship's pitching and rolling. Of course, in heavy seas, everybody's cabin will be rocking, but the midships cabins will experience less rising and falling than the cabins at the bow and stern.

The cabins are all decorated alike - the only advantage to 7026 is that you're closer to the forward elevator, which puts you closer to the show lounge, the spa/fitness center, the computer lounge, the card room, and the Horizons bar, which can be great conveniences depending on where you plan to spend your time aboard ship. My wife prefers a cabin aft, where the dining rooms are located.

As far as concierge service is concerned, we've been able to survive four Oceania cruises without it! ;)

We just got back from the Istanbul to Athens cruise (LOVED IT!). We were in 7079, concierge class--yes, category A-3. The location on the ship was fabulous! The balcony is small but great for all purposes (except nighttime nooky, if you catch my drift, because the separators are not extremely private and by the end of two or three days, we knew our neighbors and didn't want to get "caught"). We had friends on 6 but don't remember their cabin number but they heard the anchor (and on a port intensive trip that meant they heard it almost daily!) and refered to their cabin as 'steerage' compared to ours, though the size is hardly different at all--with the exception of not having a balcony or being in a suite, the rooms are pretty much the same size but that balcony makes a world of difference in how the size can be appreciated and perceived and I won't give that up!.

We are not people who say that the cabin amenities and location don't matter because it does to us. There are plenty of people who share the opposite opinion and don't really let the location affect their travels. To them I say, thank you for taking the inside cabins and the lower decks so that I can have my choice of other cabins!

Where ever your cabin is, just enjoy the ship, the cruise, the people!

[We had friends on 6 but don't remember their cabin number but they heard the anchor (and on a port intensive trip that meant they heard it almost daily!) and refered to their cabin as 'steerage' compared to ours, though the size is hardly different at all--with the exception of not having a balcony or being in a suite, the rooms are pretty much the same size but that balcony makes a world of difference in how the size can be appreciated and perceived and I won't give that up!.

You seem to think that most of the cabins on Deck 6 are without balconies. In fact most have balconies with a few "oceanview" with obstructed views at midships.

Where is cabin 7079 located? The deck plans are so small I can't find it?

kind of mid ship..if you look at picture of deck 7..where the back

staircase is, it is to right of it about 3 cabins forward

This may not work for everyone but if it does, you're in luck..

On the O website, click on explore ships then deck plans. Down

and to the left, click on "print this". Now, here's the kicker- - -

If you have Adobe Acrobat on your computer an option for printing

is to print to Adobe... Thak will make a (.PDF) file which you can

later open (it should be in your My Documents folder.

Open this .PDF file and you can now ZOOM down to the finest detail.. You'll

be able to read every room number CLEARLY and any other words printed on the deck plans. I find this real handy to "explore"..

Happy cruzin.. Marv :cool:

We prefer a cabin not close to mid-ship. I'm a light sleeper and on sea days like to sleep late. It's amazing to me how some people have no problems standing outside someone else's door at 8:00AM and calling out to their cabin-mate "WOULD YOU BRING MY SUNGLASSES". I'd love to do this outside THEIR door at 2:00AM when I'm going to bed! <g>

So for us, the further away from mid ship, the better. The inconsiderate noise bothers us more than the additional swaying if the sea's are rough.

The balcony cabins are deck 6 and deck 7 are identical in size and layout. The only difference is that deck 7 cabins have a fridge and some concierge amenities.

If you are concerned about sickness or other motion discomfort, the best place to be will be low in the ship and close to amid ship.

Every inch of the ship rolls (side to side) the same number of degrees

(bow, stern, and amid ship). Since the axis of roll is at sea level and parallel to the ship, the further up on the ship you are, the greater distance you get slung from side to side.

Now for pitch, the axis of pitch is amid ship and perpendicular to the ship.

When bow goes up, the stern goes down and the pivot point is amid ship. So the further you are from the pivot point (amid ship), the more distance

you travel up and down.

Another point - - It's good to have a large view of the horizon when

the ocean is rough. When you can fix you eyes on the horizon, your internal "motion detectors" (inner ear I think), or whatever they're called, will be calmed down when you can fix on a statonary point.

In addition, there are mechanical considerations to think about. Near the

bow, there are anchor chains and winches. (noise & vibration makers)

Near the stern, the propellars cause viabration and noise. It's also good

if you can avoid having a real buisy room (night club, etc) right over

your stateroom. Sometimes folks up there party later than you might

want to.

Help any??

Marv ;)

Drwong,

Aren't all staterooms on deck 7 concierge class?

Yes they are, but our last stay on Deck 7 was before the Concierge Class conversion. After that, we've managed to become accustomed to more modest accommodations. :rolleyes:

The inside cabins on 7 aren't concierge. Ask me how I know!

I would dearly love a balcony, but my husband doesn't see the point. And we do have 2 kids in university, one who has been bopping all over Europe this year while doing her third year in France. At least I sure hope she's getting credits. Seems to me she has an awful lot of time free to travel.

Actually, our room was lovely. It was large enough for us and very quiet. We NEVER heard a sound, not once. So we've booked the same room again. I keep hoping for an upgrade so that DH will see how nice a balcony is, but the cruises we choose keep selling out, so no chance of that!

Mo

The inside cabins on 7 aren't concierge. Ask me how I know!

I would dearly love a balcony, but my husband doesn't see the point. And we do have 2 kids in university, one who has been bopping all over Europe this year while doing her third year in France. At least I sure hope she's getting credits. Seems to me she has an awful lot of time free to travel.

Actually, our room was lovely. It was large enough for us and very quiet. We NEVER heard a sound, not once. So we've booked the same room again. I keep hoping for an upgrade so that DH will see how nice a balcony is, but the cruises we choose keep selling out, so no chance of that!

Mo

The cabins Schreib had to choose from were all balcony staterooms - Schreib's dilemma was having to chose Concierge or non-Concierge class (the poor dear!!! :o ). You might need to gently explain to your DH that if you weren't underwriting the wanderlust of your travelling daughter, you might have been able to afford that balcony cabin! :D

Dearest Potterhill: spring for at least a balcony, you won't regret it, and you deserve it. I guarantee you when your offspring is your age he/she will. Maybe you would consider that a young person really doesn't need to travel all over the world while his/her parents are stuffed into an enclosed stateroom.

Wrote in part:

"It's amazing to me how some people have no problems standing outside someone else's door at 8:00AM and calling out to their cabin-mate "WOULD YOU BRING MY SUNGLASSES". I'd love to do this outside THEIR door at 2:00AM when I'm going to bed! <g>

Or you could just call them on the phone.oops wrong room

:rolleyes: hummmmmmmmmmm

Archived