too strict on the dress code

I've seen a lot of people run to their cabins to change right after dinner and I don't understand that. I work so hard to look nice those nights. I just want to enjoy it for a while.

Because they are respecting the rules. But they don't like it:eek:

That would be me:)

Okay, I have just got to vent. I am packing for my cruise and am totally stressed!!!! The pressure is taking the pleasure out of planning and packing. I am talking about feeling like I'm going to a junior high dance and if I don't wear the right clothes people are going to point and laugh at me. I have seen people on these boards blast people over their choice of clothes. I have been upset, barking at my family and I don't think it's right. I am going to pack the best clothes I have, if I don't look right or appropriate, please forgive me, I am on vacation and enjoying my time with my family. I want to thank you who offered excellent packing tips and a wealth of other information. Thanks for letting me vent, now it's back to packing.

Maybe you and your family should take a differant kind of vacation. Let me ask you this if you were going to a wedding would you wear jeans & a tee shirt..

Please at the most get dressed up for the formal nights.

JM2C

Maybe you and your family should take a differant kind of vacation. Let me ask you this if you were going to a wedding would you wear jeans & a tee shirt..

JM2C

In what part of the OP's question did it say he/she were going to wear jeans and T shirts to formal nite? Did I miss something:confused: Lets me see, let's read it again:

Originally Posted by Green Eyed Mom99

Okay, I have just got to vent. I am packing for my cruise and am totally stressed!!!! The pressure is taking the pleasure out of planning and packing. I am talking about feeling like I'm going to a junior high dance and if I don't wear the right clothes people are going to point and laugh at me. I have seen people on these boards blast people over their choice of clothes. I have been upset, barking at my family and I don't think it's right. I am going to pack the best clothes I have, if I don't look right or appropriate, please forgive me, I am on vacation and enjoying my time with my family. I want to thank you who offered excellent packing tips and a wealth of other information. Thanks for letting me vent, now it's back to packing.

You really need to relax and enjoy your cruise. I spend my days at work dressed to impress and you can bet your bottom dollar that on my vacation I have no intention of doing same. I wear a pair of Dockers Khakis and a buttoon down shirt (short sleeves) On formal night I will wear a pair of dress pants and formal shirt (some times I will wear a tie and if my traveling partners are super formal I might wear a sports jacket. I always look presentable and clean cut and if that aint good enough for anyone and everyone let them stew in their own juice. People on the forum make like breaking the dress code is the sin of eternal damnation - lets all get a life. Surely there are more important things to get upset about after all we are all on vacation. I also find it an interesting irony that some of the best dressed people can often be found later on in the evening blind drunk and making a fool of themselves and that is okay though as at least they did not break the dress code (albeit the fact that they broke e very other code of civil behaviour) - Whew I am finished

You really need to relax and enjoy your cruise. I spend my days at work dressed to impress and you can bet your bottom dollar that on my vacation I have no intention of doing same. I wear a pair of Dockers Khakis and a buttoon down shirt (short sleeves) On formal night I will wear a pair of dress pants and formal shirt (some times I will wear a tie and if my traveling partners are super formal I might wear a sports jacket. I always look presentable and clean cut and if that aint good enough for anyone and everyone let them stew in their own juice. People on the forum make like breaking the dress code is the sin of eternal damnation - lets all get a life. Surely there are more important things to get upset about after all we are all on vacation. I also find it an interesting irony that some of the best dressed people can often be found later on in the evening blind drunk and making a fool of themselves and that is okay though as at least they did not break the dress code (albeit the fact that they broke e very other code of civil behaviour) - Whew I am finished

Dude, Chill.... I'm with you 100%. If they get bothered at what you are dressed in, maybe they need to take a vacation from their vacation. Get a grip....why would what someone else is wearing matter to you. I wear what I want...if it happens to be a tux then it is a tux. I may want a nice photo of my wife in an evening gown and me dressed to the hilt. We enjoy the white background photos, casual attire, laying on the floor, fun. People will stand around and enjoy what we are doing, and if they don't enjoy what we are doing they just walk by. The same should be said for your attire at dinner, if they don't like what you are wearing....tough! Shut the Heck up and walk on by..... Whew I am finished.

cruise on....and don't sweat the small stuff

You know this topic goes both ways. In my personal experience, I have never seen/heard anyone being rude to another person about their clothes being too casual. I have experienced a table full of cruisers making slights to my face and to DH on formal night because we were too "fancy".

Aren't you hot? Aren't you uncomfortable? Do you think you are "Celebrities"? You sure let the cruise line push you around. Supposedly all commented in humor and we pretended to take it as good humored ribbing. This was on formal night. Half of our large table of 10 would not eat in the dining room on the other nights because of the suggested dress code, but on formal night they wanted the lobster so they showed up. Luckily we had been on several cruises before so we were not crushed, if I had been a 1st timer I would have been in tears. This was on RCI. I will still cruise on RCI and I will still dress formally. I will try to be moderate on this topic.

One question - How would people dress if there was no suggestion??

The current suggestions leave enough room for all of us to be comfortable. All things in moderation!

That is so true!

I've never seen anyone make comments to others about being dressed too casaul, but my DH and I have received ribbing before for dressing 'formal' for 'formal night.' Long story short, our neighbors cruised w/us two years ago on DCL, and the husband took a picture, "wait till everyone sees THIS! Rob in a TUX!' to me: 'you're wearing a full-length formal? I don't see how you can stand to wear that. I like to be comfortable.' It didn't bother me that they dressed casually, but it DID bother me that they were making a mockery of us dressing for the occassion.

And, when we booked our first cruise, we weren't quite sure how 'formal' to dress for 'formal' night. 'Well, let's just pack our best clothes and find out when we sail, how others dress.' we wondered, but we weren't STRESSED. (I love the over-use of that word.) Turns out, we weren't as 'dressed-up' as others. "Gee, this would have been fun to wear a tux and gown. We'll know when we sail again.'

I've noticed when reading this and other cruise line boards sometimes someone will innocently ask 'what do you wear on formal night,' more often than not, people will blast in with 'first of all, don't worry what others think, it's your vacation, wear what you won't, you won't be denied entrance to the dining rooms, etc.' Heaven help the person who says, 'I wore a dark suit and my DW wore a black cocktail dress.' (That is, if it's the first response.)

JM2C

If you read my OP I said I was taking nice clothes, but was worried about other people's opinion of them. I NEVER said I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. The other stress has been over getting all of these clothes packed so I can dress for dinner. But you know what, I think I may take your suggestion and take a different kind of vacation from now on. We went to an exclusive resort at Hilton Head Island, SC last summer and I didn't have to take so many clothes. Even though it was exclusive, it had more of a laid back tropical feel to it.

Amen, brother!!!!

Yes, Green Eyed Mom, if you do not feel comfortable, probably you should chose another vacation. I really think you have stressed out way too much for nothing. We enjoy dressing up on formal night, that is what we chose to do. If you don't want to, that is your decision, noone is forcing you. Oh, by the way, we hardly ever have a glass of wine, we are not drinkers--but do love formal night. I am sorry for your attitude. I hope it does not carry over to affect your whole cruise experience. Every occasion is not perfect, however I try to look for the positive, especially if it is a vacation. For some things on our cruise that I have planned, I have a backup plan if something doesn't work out--and it will be ok. Go with the right attitude, and you will have fun no matter what you wear--it does not matter. As for my family, we enjoy the whole cruise experience--no matter what dress is suggested.

We (family of 4) were on Radiance in April. I also stressed out about the clothes. We just don't have formal clothes in our wardrobes. I refused to get anything like that for the cruise. I packed 2 nice skirts with sweater tops. For thje kids, khakis and white shirt, a skirt for my daughter. My husband did bring a suit.

The next time I go, I will do exactly the same thing. In hindsight I admit it made sense to shower and dress before dinner. We were always grungy by the end of the day.

Please be sure to wear your Carlos n Charlies balloon hat into the dining room that evening! My daughter and I got back on board just before dinner, and I was still in such a festive mood, that I wore mine to dinner! It brought smiles :D (and amused stares:eek: ) from our companions as well as the other guests and our servers. We all enjoyed seizing moment (I removed my "hat" for the meal) to express what fun we were having on our cruise. :)

I think you should dress in nicely for the formal nights, like captians night the captian is walcoming you abord his ship, dressing nice is one of the best ways to show respect. and we should respect him because he and his many crew work hard so we can relax. the least we can do is dress formaly to show our appresiation. Again Im not saying you have to have a Tux or anything that nice, but on the 1 cruise I ben on I wore a pair of dress pants and a golf polo. Thats nice enough but not over doin it

Monarch 6/02 (15th B-day)

Freedom 6/07 (Graduation)

Never mind.............

After almost 17,000 posts..........why am I still reading these types of threads?:D ..........yet I do...........:)

Never mind.............

After almost 17,000 posts..........why am I still reading these types of threads?:D ..........yet I do...........:)

LOL, me too. There are some things that never change we will always have

1. The ones that enjoy dressing up, do it and have fun

2. The ones that dress up but hate it and complain

3. The ones that don't like to dress up an don't,but eat in the windjammer on formal nights

4. The ones that say it's my vacation, I paid for it and I'll do what I want.

Did I miss anyone?

I had avoided reading this thread, but took a peak this morning. I'm glad I read it because I have heard from others who don't particullarly like to dress formal. A lot of what I have read on this board is pro-formal. I actually prefer the 4 and 5 star all-inclusive resorts in Mexico for the fabulous a la carte dining but no tuxes or formals suggested. :) I think the cruise lines have it covered though with other options like the Windjammer dining and room service - just would like a dining option that is included where you are served in a restaurant but don't have to dress formal. Anyway, happy to hear I'm not the only one who is not wild about formal nights. ;) I'm opting for a very fancy top, nice jewelry and formal shoes, with a slinky black pants for the formal night - this way I'll be comfortable but dressy. Have a great cruise and relax!!!! From another green-eyed mom.

Archived