too strict on the dress code

One think I would like to point out is that most of these posts are addressing "dressing for dinner"... I believe the suggested dress code is for entire evening not just dinner...

That is true on Celebrity (where the dress is was stated as required on our cruise and it was clearly stated that it applied to all public areas) but on RCL, it is often stated in the Cruise Compass that the suggested dress is for the Dining Room. There is no mention of extending it to the rest of the ship.

Again a sign of the changing times on SUn Viking and Soverign of the Seas dress code was for the evening...Im glad that Celebrity still includes this note though.

ok.. another topic that just won't die.... Yes... i dress up for formal nights... even bring my tux and the fancy shoes.... and yes... i think its nice to see everyone all "gussied up" on formal night... But... as long as you're neat and clean... well... it IS your vacation too... Yes, I may think that by not dressing "formally" for formal night you are losing some of the cruise experience... but that's your right and your call... and i'm not going to say stay out of any venue... dining room or otherwise. Just go.. be pleasant... and have fun... As for me.. i'll dress up in my tux... and i'd rather have dinner with an interesting individual who isn't dressed formally than with an obnoxious passenger in a tux!

On my last cruise, my wife & I were seated at a table with a couple who had scraped together enough money for a belated honeymoon cruise, and did not have "appropriate" clothes for formal night. It didn't ruin my night, or upset anyone in the general vicinity. In fact, each of the folks at our table took off jackets and ties and evening wraps so that the couple would feel less uncomfortable. We had a great evening with wonderful people, which we would have missed if we had sent them off to "an alternate venue".

You're a class act, JTMalt. A few months ago I read a story on the boards about a couple whose children had sent them on a cruise for their Anniversary. The couple brought their Sunday best but it didn't meet the standards of certain of the "dress code police" and they were very uncomfortable. The wife cried at dinner. It broke my heart. Nice to see that you and your table companions handled things so well.

GreenEyedMom - I wasn't trying to be mean. But really, you have plenty of warning as to what RCI's suggested dress is - you can go along with it or not. It sounds like what you're planning is fine. I would never point and laugh. How would I know what some one's circumstances are?

What I DO have a problem with are people that read the suggested guidelines and say "I'm on vacation, I'll do what I want". Does it ruin my evening? No, but it does annoy me when people think the "rules" (or in this case guidelines) don't apply to them.

Schplinky - Again, not trying to be rude. Just stating the facts. RCI has a suggested dress code. If one chooses not to follow the guidelines for the dining room, there are other choices. And yes, if some one asked me that question in person, I'd answer it the same way.

aebalc - Thank you. You said it better than I did.

There are thousands of types of vacations. We also enjoy tent camping. When we go tent camping, I expect one thing. When we go on a cruise, I expect something else. The choice is yours. We do both, but the experience is not the same. If I sat around the camp fire in a formal gown--it would not be appropriate. If I wore shorts to a formal dinner on the cruise ship--It is not appropriate. I don't understand why some people get so stressed.Its just commen sense. The cruise ship offers different eating arrangements so everyone can do what they are comfortable with. I would not be comfortable wearing shorts or jeans in the dinning room at night. The woman brought appropriate clothes--so why is she stressed? Did she not give herself plenty of time to pack? That would make me stressed. Also, is she packing for her whole family? I had my little ones pack--now they are big ones. I would look through their stuff--usually repack--but they were helping and contributing. My husband does his own packing. Maybe that is where the stress is coming from--having to get everything ready herself? Just go and have fun! It will all fall into place.

Well that says it all -- Terrific post and delivered with great humor! Especially enjoyed the part about the waffle-soled shoes/stripe on stripe tablecloth! Keep up the good work!

No one, repeat, NO ONE, who is neat and clean and wearing decent clothes of any style other than bathing suit/shorts/tank tops/bare feet should be made to feel less than welcome aboard ship after 6 p.m. Period. All of you who are tearing your hair out over this, drop it. As many others have said, don't let the "fashionistas" get you down.

Too bad that you're getting stressed over something as simple as dressing appropriately. In reality, the dress code can be boiled down to a couple simple directives that will help you always fit in.

On Italian Night, you should always make sure that you wear something that you would wear into a Northern Italian restaurant if you were going to order the antipasti platter, Caesar Salad and the broiled shrimp over fettucini. Lots of people try to make it really complicated and end up wearing a Sicilian scarf with a Roman blouse or something that would be more appropriate with Veal Parmegiana. No wonder they get ripped to shreds by the Maitre'd when they walk in! I'm sure you would not make that mistake.

Another good piece of advice is to be sure that your dinner shoes have a tread pattern that matches the table cloth. You'd be surprised at the number of people who show up wearing Manolo Blahnik shoes with waffle soles on a night when the tablecloth is a simple stripe on stripe. Can you blame the other cruisers for yelling "Hey waffle-shoes..you think this is Denny's or IHOP?!!!!" Again. I apologize if this is stuff you already know, but you sounded stressed out and once you know easy this stuff is you can relax and enjoy your cruise.

Finally, don't make the mistake my DW did on our first cruise. When they brought out the escargot, she was still wearing her long white opera gloves with the sequined cuffs. So she picks up her escargot fork while wearing the long gloves and you should have heard the gasps!!:eek: I pointed to the shorter black gloves in her bag and she turned red. The people next to us shrieked and then laughed and pointed at us. We just wanted to die. Now she always thinks "White/Salad Black/Escargot, where did all my fancy gloves go? "

It's really easy, and if you just keep these simple fashion rules in mind you'll have fewer rude encounters with Fashionistas:D

Dear "Mom" -- I agree, posts of the type submitted by Iszu are what really set many of us off. It's that "you don't meet my standards" snootiness that is really obnoxious and uncalled for.

As for being banished to Windjammer, thank you, but no, we may not wish to dine there -- though Windjammer does offer more and more options as time goes on and people choose to take advantage of it and the alternative restaurants that charge a fee for utilization. Imagine that, if you wear fancy duds you can dine in the large dining halls unmolested and uncritiqued by the fashion police; if you wish to be a little more casual you are banished to Windjammer or an extra fee-for-service restaurant. Interesting, to say the least................

See, it's people like you on these boards that made me write the original post. I am taking nice clothes for the formal nights, my husband and son are taking dark suits and ties, but perhaps in your eyes, it won't be nice enough. Other people have had encouraging words for me, you tell me to dress for dinner, go somewhere else or DON'T CRUISE, real nice.

Well that says it all -- Terrific post and delivered with great humor! Especially enjoyed the part about the waffle-soled shoes/stripe on stripe tablecloth! Keep up the good work!

No one, repeat, NO ONE, who is neat and clean and wearing decent clothes of any style other than bathing suit/shorts/tank tops/bare feet should be made to feel less than welcome aboard ship after 6 p.m. Period. All of you who are tearing your hair out over this, drop it. As many others have said, don't let the "fashionistas" get you down.

Thanks for making me laugh!!!!!:D

Boatbuilder, it sounds like you were at our table, on behalf of the 'rest of the table' allow me to appoligize to you and your lovely wife...we had no idea it was your first cruise:eek: ...if we had have know we would have furnished you with the pamphlet of easy to remember rhymes on formal/smart casual/casual cruise dining tips...sounds like you figured it our tho...good for you! :p

(I have read several of your posts and have noticed you have a knack for 'telling it the way it is' ;) ..Id like to invite you over to the "Dying to Doc Dance" lounge(do a search on it)...I have a feeling you'd fit right in)

I will pass your apology on to the DW. She is out at Tar-jet' shopping for our next cruise. Our new dining rhyme is :

Don't tuck your napkin in the top of your shirt,

I won't wipe my knife on the lap of my skirt,

Pay attention to details so nobody gripes,

Make sure your crew sox have matching stripes.

I pressed your fanciest shirt, it would seem,

Proudly emblazoned "Penn State Bowling Team",

Your clip-on tie is not an Armani,

Your watch neither Rolex, Tag or Moldani.

This cruise is a special occasion for us,

We arrived not by plane, but by Greyhound bus.

We saved for this cruise for a year and half,

You can't give me gold but you sure make me laugh,

My dress isn't Prada, or Dolce Gabana.

My hair isn't coiffed like that Trump named Ivana.

We'll both do our best to get through this dinner

But from my perspective, my spouse is a winner.

I just have a unique observation from our last cruise. A senior couple on their honeymoon. Every night they dressed formal, they also always ate in the buffet. They wanted a table for two.

I dress nice for formal night, hardest part of cruising is figuring out that formal wear. So far I am top bidder on a Vera Wang, I feel like wearing it inside out for the fashion police. That is said with humor.

Also and this is just an observation, with the tighter luggage restrictions for flying I can see that impacting how formal people will go. I like to just have one big case and one carry-on. The cabins are only so big. So two formal outfits will be the first to go unless you are into mix and match like I am.

Welcome to the forum O comedy king. I don't know you yet, but that was the best tongue and cheek post I have seen in months. BTW, I disagree with your sentiment, but I wanted to compliment your skill.

jc

Too bad that you're getting stressed over something as simple as dressing appropriately. In reality, the dress code can be boiled down to a couple simple directives that will help you always fit in.

On Italian Night, you should always make sure that you wear something that you would wear into a Northern Italian restaurant if you were going to order the antipasti platter, Caesar Salad and the broiled shrimp over fettucini. Lots of people try to make it really complicated and end up wearing a Sicilian scarf with a Roman blouse or something that would be more appropriate with Veal Parmegiana. No wonder they get ripped to shreds by the Maitre'd when they walk in! I'm sure you would not make that mistake.

Another good piece of advice is to be sure that your dinner shoes have a tread pattern that matches the table cloth. You'd be surprised at the number of people who show up wearing Manolo Blahnik shoes with waffle soles on a night when the tablecloth is a simple stripe on stripe. Can you blame the other cruisers for yelling "Hey waffle-shoes..you think this is Denny's or IHOP?!!!!" Again. I apologize if this is stuff you already know, but you sounded stressed out and once you know easy this stuff is you can relax and enjoy your cruise.

Finally, don't make the mistake my DW did on our first cruise. When they brought out the escargot, she was still wearing her long white opera gloves with the sequined cuffs. So she picks up her escargot fork while wearing the long gloves and you should have heard the gasps!!:eek: I pointed to the shorter black gloves in her bag and she turned red. The people next to us shrieked and then laughed and pointed at us. We just wanted to die. Now she always thinks "White/Salad Black/Escargot, where did all my fancy gloves go? "

It's really easy, and if you just keep these simple fashion rules in mind you'll have fewer rude encounters with Fashionistas:D

Welcome to the forum O comedy king. I don't know you yet, but that was the best tongue and cheek post I have seen in months. BTW, I disagree with your sentiment, but I wanted to compliment your skill.

jc

I'm not even sure that *I* agree with anything I post here. If you search my posts you probably will find the only common denominator is that I don't take either position too seriously :rolleyes:

When I was in High School, (many years ago), I was the guy who used to pass notes that made people crack up while I looked totally straight-faced and innocent. Message boards only provide a larger audience for my evil craft :D

These formal night threads always end up the same way. The "you know what you signed up for" or "shame on you it's my cruise and I'll do what I want people", vs. the live-and-let-live crowd, who state that what you see people wearing on a cruise ship is what you would see at church, wedding, graduation, business dinner.

I've never been to a wedding where every single male was wearing a suit/tie or tux and every female a formal gown/dress/pantsuit. It's the same as everyday life....you will see a wide variety of attire and if what people are wearing bother you, maybe your energies are focused in the wrong place.

Now if the cruise line decided to enforce any "guideline" or "rule" at the entrances to the dining rooms, this would be moot discussion.

RCI is a more casual line. If you want to see every single person dressed exactly like you and the necessity of it has a bearing on your experience, then RCI is probably not your line of choice.

Honestly, even though DH and I dress up for formal night, I would rather not dine with anyone who let someone else's clothes bother them. That's not what I want to be discussing at dinner. You will never know a person's reasons for dressing the way the do unless you ask, so focus on something else.

These formal night threads always end up the same way. The "you know what you signed up for" or "shame on you it's my cruise and I'll do what I want people", vs. the live-and-let-live crowd, who state that what you see people wearing on a cruise ship is what you would see at church, wedding, graduation, business dinner.

I've never been to a wedding where every single male was wearing a suit/tie or tux and every female a formal gown/dress/pantsuit. It's the same as everyday life....you will see a wide variety of attire and if what people are wearing bother you, maybe your energies are focused in the wrong place.

Now if the cruise line decided to enforce any "guideline" or "rule" at the entrances to the dining rooms, this would be moot discussion.

RCI is a more casual line. If you want to see every single person dressed exactly like you and the necessity of it has a bearing on your experience, then RCI is probably not your line of choice.

Honestly, even though DH and I dress up for formal night, I would rather not dine with anyone who let someone else's clothes bother them. That's not what I want to be discussing at dinner. You will never know a person's reasons for dressing the way the do unless you ask, so focus on something else.

Funny you should mention the wedding attire in your post. DH and I were at an evening wedding last Saturday night at a golf course clubhouse. Very dressy affair, and yep, there in the middle of the dance floor was a guy in long shorts. I had to smile, because I thought to myself, "this is just like the dining room on formal night"...:D

I'm a little schizoid on these threads: I'm a "you know what you signed up for" crossed with a "live and let live". Mostly, answer the question and let them make up their own minds.

I will pass your apology on to the DW. She is out at Tar-jet' shopping for our next cruise. Our new dining rhyme is :

Don't tuck your napkin in the top of your shirt,

I won't wipe my knife on the lap of my skirt,

Pay attention to details so nobody gripes,

Make sure your crew sox have matching stripes.

I pressed your fanciest shirt, it would seem,

Proudly emblazoned "Penn State Bowling Team",

Your clip-on tie is not an Armani,

Your watch neither Rolex, Tag or Moldani.

This cruise is a special occasion for us,

We arrived not by plane, but by Greyhound bus.

We saved for this cruise for a year and half,

You can't give me gold but you sure make me laugh,

My dress isn't Prada, or Dolce Gabana.

My hair isn't coiffed like that Trump named Ivana.

We'll both do our best to get through this dinner

But from my perspective, my spouse is a winner.

Thanks for making me laugh!!! My clothes are going in my suitcase as I write, well as soon as I post. Thanks everyone, I'll let you know how it goes. Freedom 6/11!!!!!

The fashion police are going to be critical of everyone, so why let yourself be bothered by them? As Schplinky says, they'll be the only ones who aren't having a good time!

Once I saw a couple of women in beautiful Indian saris on formal night. And another in a gorgeous Japanese kimono. Can you imagine what the FP would say??

They would say that you are mixing apples and oranges. These modes of dress you describe are considered formal. :rolleyes:

....and she may forego schlepping formal wear and STILL enjoy the dining room on formal night. Dress codes on RCI are "suggested guidelines", not rules. There is no reason she should be banished to the Windjammer on formal night.

On my last cruise, my wife & I were seated at a table with a couple who had scraped together enough money for a belated honeymoon cruise, and did not have "appropriate" clothes for formal night. It didn't ruin my night, or upset anyone in the general vicinity. In fact, each of the folks at our table took off jackets and ties and evening wraps so that the couple would feel less uncomfortable. We had a great evening with wonderful people, which we would have missed if we had sent them off to "an alternate venue".

To the OP, I really believe that most of the people you will run into on a Royal Caribbean ship are very easygoing in this regard. If you dress with respect for your companions, you will never feel out of place. Don't let the vocal fashion snobs that sometimes post on these boards intimidate you.

Just one comment on this post. While I agree with what you're saying, I find that the "vocal fashion snobs" tend to be the men on line specific boards, rather than the women on the fashion board. Threads regarding clothing almost always head south on line specific boards, especially the jeans subject. The only threads that are downright nasty are the ones the moderators have moved over there and I'm surprised this one has yet to be moved.

If you have a question about clothing, visit the fashion board. Almost everyone over there is very nice and rarely is anyone flamed there. I wish all the boards were as pleasant to read. If you do find a thread there that is as nasty as the line specific boards, you can almost bet it was moved there.

We may not always agree and that's OK, but most don't stoop to flaming or being rude.

36kruzes - It's not my standards, it's RCI's. They're the ones who suggest the dress code. I'm just the one with enough courtesy to abide by their suggestion. If I chose not to dress for dinner, I'd go to the Windjammer. If I thought suggested attire was out of line, I would either not cruise, or choose a line with no suggested dress code.

How is following what a host suggests snooty? I didn't call any one here a slob. All I said was that for those who don't think RCI's "policy" is fair there are other options.

They would say that you are mixing apples and oranges. These modes of dress you describe are considered formal. :rolleyes:

Yes, you and I know that, but my only point was that some people may not and may actually think, "what the heck?" (yes, I really did hear that.)

No offense intended to the self-proclaimed FPs here. They are obviously sophisticated enough to understand the beauty of different cultures' attires and that there are different ways of being beautiful - and formal. My original point was to reassure the OP that she and her family should dress as *they* feel formal and not let others comments bother her. :)

At first I thought in describing Italian night you were serious until I got to the Veal Parm..!!!

The best was the "gloves for the escargot." I guarantee we will soon see a serious thread on..."which gloves for formal night?"

Your dining poem also was quite funny...and a great attitude..

Thanks for" " Keeping the attitude light...for formal night."

Pam

Also and this is just an observation, with the tighter luggage restrictions for flying I can see that impacting how formal people will go. I like to just have one big case and one carry-on. The cabins are only so big. So two formal outfits will be the first to go unless you are into mix and match like I am.

My thoughts exactly, but I am cramming everything into my suitcases!!!

My thoughts exactly, but I am cramming everything into my suitcases!!!

I wish it were me, but I still have months to wait for my next cruise! It sounds like you will be just fine with the clothes you are taking and there should be no reason for anyone to say otherwise.

Personally, I enjoy the formal nights and look forward to the "parade" of nicely dressed folks. We always pack for two formal nights, but don't always feel like going formal once we are on the ship. We have the clothes if we want to dress up. If we don't, we're just as happy to eat in the Windjammer. No stress involved.

Have a great cruise Mom!

Iszu: Who said you called anyone a "slob?" Not me.

Your cruise history indicates RCI is your line of choice, so as to RCI's "policy" on attire, let's recap, shall we? I have before me their most recent Caribbean brochure. Their "policy" seems more than fair, in fact, options abound.

Here's what it says, verbatim: "For evening wear, count on three basic types of attire."

"Casual: dresses or slacks & blouses for women; sport shirts and trousers for men.

Smart Casual: dresses or pantsuits for women; jackets for men.

Formal: cocktail dresses for women; suits and ties or tuxedos for men."

Note that nowhere in its brochures does RCI indicate people must adhere to these suggestions. Since peoples' opinions of what constitutes a cocktail dress or a suit (many men think a sport jacket and slacks are just fine) you naturally see many variations on RCI's suggestions.

Some people on these boards have opined that cocktail dresses are not "formal" and thus not dressy enough for formal night(s). RCI itself would seem to disagree given its description of "formal" .....

36kruzes - It's not my standards, it's RCI's. They're the ones who suggest the dress code. I'm just the one with enough courtesy to abide by their suggestion. If I chose not to dress for dinner, I'd go to the Windjammer. If I thought suggested attire was out of line, I would either not cruise, or choose a line with no suggested dress code.

How is following what a host suggests snooty? I didn't call any one here a slob. All I said was that for those who don't think RCI's "policy" is fair there are other options.

I am waiting for the day that a cruise staff member turns away someone for being under dressed for the formal night. I go to church in jeans every weekend, not because that is all I have, but that is what I am comfortable in. No one has asked me to leave any church yet. I do have a tux and enjoy dressing up on certain occassions. But If I were to wear a tux jacket and jeans, would that offend you....not no but heck no. You are there to enjoy your cruise just like I am there to enjoy my cruise.

I don't let the larger people at the pool in skimpier than gravity allows swimwear bother me. In fact I applaud them. I enjoy the show and hope they enjoy themselves. When was the last time you wore something that you knew would get looks.

I have four boys, they steal my jeans. The wife has decided to buy me those jeans that have the holes and rips in them (I'm 45 yo) My boys steal my shoes, pants, shirts and even caught one of them wearing my underwear (he has issues, we pray for him daily). Point is that I sometimes wear things just to get the looks, if I can entertain someone then so be it. If my clothing or lack of clothing makes someone gaze or galk, stare or laugh, then I have just made someone a little happier.

I have thought about buying a loud tux, possibly green, pink or red. Hey would this be anymore obscene than someone wearing slacks and a short sleeve button shirt with clip-on tie to formal night. I think the colored tux will get more looks than the underdressed individual.

Draw the line. I don't own a mens thong bathing suit, but for the right price or dare (by my wife) I could be tempted. I'm not that overweight, but I'm also not the buff 20 something I used to be.

Well see you on the ship....wear what you will. Make someones day. Or just be comfortable

cruise on..

Archived