too strict on the dress code

Think of it this way -- what would you wear to a restaurant at night at a nice resort, like Four Seasons Maui, or the Bellagio in Vegas, or some other similar property? Would you drag along fancy and/or sequined dresses and a dark suit/tie or tux for the men? I should think NOT! Maybe on New Year's Eve, but that's another matter.

Even on "fight night" in Vegas at Mandalay Bay, MGM Grand, and other venues, you see plenty of tuxedos, suits and fancy dresses (except in the "cheap seats"). You will not eat dinner at Le Cirque (Bellagio) without jacket and tie (unless you are a comped high roller or other such celebrity). Ritz-Carlton, Maui, will not admit to The Banyon Tree restaurant without "formal" Hawaiian shirt (and it's NOT Tommy Bahama) or coat and tie. Lots of resorts have a dress code.

I would probably be singing a different tune if I were crossing the Atlantic on the Queen Mary circa 1952. But that's not the case -- things change and all the cruise lines ask is that you not look like a ragpicker at night in the dining room.

That's not the case AT ALL. Some of the cruise lines DO care and do try to maintain traditional cruise ambiance. HAL REQUIRES at least a jacket and tie.

Princess REQUIRES a suit or tux.

"Formal Evenings:

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies

• Tuxedo, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men "

You would DEFINITELY be out of place on the QE2 in anything other than at LEAST a jacket and tie.

NCL has optional formal night. Oceania is "country club casual". There really is a cruise for everyone. But the "it's my vacation and I'll do what I want, p*** on your expectations"-crowd has mostly materialized out of the woods in the last couple of years (check the dates of the members who advocate "casual"-most post 2004). And the entire attitude is rude and crude.

When you purchased the cruise, you also purchased the dress code. If you didn't want the dress code, you should have purchased a cruise on a less formal cruise line.

I think Mark Cuban put it best yesterday when asked if he would wear a suit if the Mavericks won the NBA Championship. He said, "NO! Why do I need to dress for someone else?" That's the way I feel. I will be comfortable and if my tablemates don't like it THEY can dine elsewhere!

It is wonderful to see that the 'it's all about me' crowd is present and accounted for. Respect for others sometimes demands that you dress formal on a moment of occasion.. That is the reason for formal night to help create a special atmosphere where memories are made. Does this sound hokey? Okay, it does. I can live with that. Bring Your best outfit - look dazzling - have fun!

Okay, I have just got to vent. I am packing for my cruise and am totally stressed!!!! The pressure is taking the pleasure out of planning and packing. I am talking about feeling like I'm going to a junior high dance and if I don't wear the right clothes people are going to point and laugh at me. I have seen people on these boards blast people over their choice of clothes. I have been upset, barking at my family and I don't think it's right. I am going to pack the best clothes I have, if I don't look right or appropriate, please forgive me, I am on vacation and enjoying my time with my family. I want to thank you who offered excellent packing tips and a wealth of other information. Thanks for letting me vent, now it's back to packing.

Too bad that you're getting stressed over something as simple as dressing appropriately. In reality, the dress code can be boiled down to a couple simple directives that will help you always fit in.

On Italian Night, you should always make sure that you wear something that you would wear into a Northern Italian restaurant if you were going to order the antipasti platter, Caesar Salad and the broiled shrimp over fettucini. Lots of people try to make it really complicated and end up wearing a Sicilian scarf with a Roman blouse or something that would be more appropriate with Veal Parmegiana. No wonder they get ripped to shreds by the Maitre'd when they walk in! I'm sure you would not make that mistake.

Another good piece of advice is to be sure that your dinner shoes have a tread pattern that matches the table cloth. You'd be surprised at the number of people who show up wearing Manolo Blahnik shoes with waffle soles on a night when the tablecloth is a simple stripe on stripe. Can you blame the other cruisers for yelling "Hey waffle-shoes..you think this is Denny's or IHOP?!!!!" Again. I apologize if this is stuff you already know, but you sounded stressed out and once you know easy this stuff is you can relax and enjoy your cruise.

Finally, don't make the mistake my DW did on our first cruise. When they brought out the escargot, she was still wearing her long white opera gloves with the sequined cuffs. So she picks up her escargot fork while wearing the long gloves and you should have heard the gasps!!:eek: I pointed to the shorter black gloves in her bag and she turned red. The people next to us shrieked and then laughed and pointed at us. We just wanted to die. Now she always thinks "White/Salad Black/Escargot, where did all my fancy gloves go? "

It's really easy, and if you just keep these simple fashion rules in mind you'll have fewer rude encounters with Fashionistas:D

Too bad that you're getting stressed over something as simple as dressing appropriately. In reality, the dress code can be boiled down to a couple simple directives that will help you always fit in.

It's really easy, and if you just keep these simple fashion rules in mind you'll have fewer rude encounters with Fashionistas:D

Boatbuilder, it sounds like you were at our table, on behalf of the 'rest of the table' allow me to appoligize to you and your lovely wife...we had no idea it was your first cruise:eek: ...if we had have know we would have furnished you with the pamphlet of easy to remember rhymes on formal/smart casual/casual cruise dining tips...sounds like you figured it our tho...good for you! :p

(I have read several of your posts and have noticed you have a knack for 'telling it the way it is' ;) ..Id like to invite you over to the "Dying to Doc Dance" lounge(do a search on it)...I have a feeling you'd fit right in)

Before my first cruise I was worried, yes, even a bit stressed...mainly because of how some people make it sound...I packed a nice pant suit and hoped for the best...to my suprise, I enjoyed Formal Night, b/c I found out that the people that make the biggest fuss over what 'should and should not be worn' were not on my ship...<or they would have had a hay day>...I also found out that the views expressed on these boards are not the views expressed on board the ship...

As long as you look nice and make an effort to dress up , you will be fine.

Nothing to stress over...

Even on "fight night" in Vegas at Mandalay Bay, MGM Grand, and other venues, you see plenty of tuxedos, suits and fancy dresses (except in the "cheap seats"). You will not eat dinner at Le Cirque (Bellagio) without jacket and tie (unless you are a comped high roller or other such celebrity). Ritz-Carlton, Maui, will not admit to The Banyon Tree restaurant without "formal" Hawaiian shirt (and it's NOT Tommy Bahama) or coat and tie. Lots of resorts have a dress code.

That's not the case AT ALL. Some of the cruise lines DO care and do try to maintain traditional cruise ambiance. HAL REQUIRES at least a jacket and tie.

Princess REQUIRES a suit or tux.

"Formal Evenings:

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies

• Tuxedo, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men "

You would DEFINITELY be out of place on the QE2 in anything other than at LEAST a jacket and tie.

When you purchased the cruise, you also purchased the dress code. If you didn't want the dress code, you should have purchased a cruise on a less formal cruise line.

I must confess, I don't disagree--especially the last line. I'm watching The Sting right now and over 30 years later it remains classy for many reasons, but Newman and Redford in the tuxes must be listed among those reasons (ladies, would y'all agree on that aspect?). My first cruise I rented through the cruise line (it was actually the crappiest tux ever, but two subsequent rentals, done for packing convenience, have had much better tuxes). And on the cruises when I've packed heavy, I brought my own--and my tux cost half as much at Jos.A. Bank as the suit I bought there yesterday.

But for this coming december on the sovereign, i know the options, and I feel like packing light and easy and we're going to have all our dinners in the windjammer, and dress casual the whole time. i probably would have polos and khakis, but DS likes sports pants and shorts and t-shirts, and so we'll skip the dining room out of respect for our fellow guests who do have the consideration to comply with dress code.

Andy99--Thank you for your comments. Your words are exactly how we feel and what we experience on a formal night. Thank you

Its really ashame that people feel getting dressed is a chore or burden. I have noticed during my travels Americans tend to feel that way more then people from other countrys. I dont know why. A suit thats well tailored is very comfortable more so then a pair of jeans. My wife also rarely complains about being uncomfortable unless she chooses to wear her very high heals. I just hope all the cruise line dont go casual all the time. If one or two line take that route thats fine by me I will just choose to cruise on a different line but if they all follow suit it will take away from our cruising experience.

A suit thats well tailored is very comfortable more so then a pair of jeans.

Not for me, no way!!! Jeans are the most comfortable thing ever. I live in them.

Not to mention a suit for man means a shirt that buttons up to the neck and a tie, which most men don't find the most comfortable. As a woman, I don't like the feeling of a tailored jacket over a shirt.

Then, practically, a suit means potentially paying for pressing of at least the shirt. It's certainly more maintenance getting it on board in good shape.

Not for me, no way!!! Jeans are the most comfortable thing ever. I live in them.

Not to mention a suit for man means a shirt that buttons up to the neck and a tie, which most men don't find the most comfortable. As a woman, I don't like the feeling of a tailored jacket over a shirt.

Then, practically, a suit means potentially paying for pressing of at least the shirt. It's certainly more maintenance getting it on board in good shape.

I wear a shirt and tie to work every day. Maybe im just used to it. But as long as im wearing the proper size shirt I never have a problem. Its when i try to were one of my "when i was Thinner" shirts that i feel that tightness around my neck.

You know this topic goes both ways. In my personal experience, I have never seen/heard anyone being rude to another person about their clothes being too casual. I have experienced a table full of cruisers making slights to my face and to DH on formal night because we were too "fancy".

Aren't you hot? Aren't you uncomfortable? Do you think you are "Celebrities"? You sure let the cruise line push you around. Supposedly all commented in humor and we pretended to take it as good humored ribbing. This was on formal night. Half of our large table of 10 would not eat in the dining room on the other nights because of the suggested dress code, but on formal night they wanted the lobster so they showed up. Luckily we had been on several cruises before so we were not crushed, if I had been a 1st timer I would have been in tears. This was on RCI. I will still cruise on RCI and I will still dress formally. I will try to be moderate on this topic.

One question - How would people dress if there was no suggestion??

The current suggestions leave enough room for all of us to be comfortable. All things in moderation!

You know this topic goes both ways. In my personal experience, I have never seen/heard anyone being rude to another person about their clothes being too casual. I have experienced a table full of cruisers making slights to my face and to DH on formal night because we were too "fancy".

This was on RCI. I will still cruise on RCI and I will still dress formally. I will try to be moderate on this topic.

One question - How would people dress if there was no suggestion??

The current suggestions leave enough room for all of us to be comfortable. All things in moderation!

I thought this was an interesting post and an interesting take on the situation. I have, thankfully, never experienced this, but it would not stop me either. Rudeness is inexcusable in any direction. I've never heard of anyone commenting to someone's face about their too casual attire, why would anyone think this was acceptable? I don't know what happened to gracious behavior?

AMEN :)

I am so thankful for all the responses on this thread. This is our first cruise and I was having the same questions as to what to pack! We are sailing the NOS in July and we are getting so excited. I love the idea of all the uses for zip lock bags! I hope it works.

There is so much information to take in from CC and I continue to take notes. Thank you to all of you for your great advise! I am still unsure as to what to put our sail pass, credit card, money, etc. in for safe keeping while off the boat. Especially while in the water? I am sure it is here somewhere and I just haven't found it yet. Do you have to wait until you board to book the ice show? Also do you just show up for the other shows or book them in advance?

Thank you Green Eyed Mom99 for posting this! It is nice to know others out there have the same questions as myself.

"Dressing" for dinner is part of cruising. You know that ahead of time. Your choices are either dress for dinner in the dining room, go to the Windjammer, or don't cruise.

This really is not the case. My DH has always worn a jacket, tie, dress shirt, and dress slacks for the dining room, except on casual nights. He doesn't wear the tie, but wears a silk tee with the jacket on other nights. A tropical shirt or knit, collared shirt on casual nights with the dress slacks.

He is a retired mechanic, so that pretty much describes his work attire. He refers to his everyday clothes as his "uniform of the day": knit shorts, tee shirt, white socks, athletic shoes. His "dress uniform" is a knit shirt with a collar.

We've had fewer problems with any of his dress clothes wrinkling, because of the fabrics. Rolled up tie in a shoe: no wrinkles. Broadcloth shirt: no wrinkles. Jacket is a cleaning bag in the suitcase: no wrinkles. Same for the slacks.

It's really no more trouble than packing his other clothes.

"Dressing" for dinner is part of cruising. You know that ahead of time. Your choices are either dress for dinner in the dining room, go to the Windjammer, or don't cruise.

See, it's people like you on these boards that made me write the original post. I am taking nice clothes for the formal nights, my husband and son are taking dark suits and ties, but perhaps in your eyes, it won't be nice enough. Other people have had encouraging words for me, you tell me to dress for dinner, go somewhere else or DON'T CRUISE, real nice.

I think if you truly felt this way, you would be cruising with a line that had a dress code, as opposed to suggested dress. It strikes me that lots of people who rant about the dress being a part of the experience on RCL cannot afford to or choose not to take cruises on ships that actually require dressing up for dinner. Either that or they prefer to bark at the moon.

On RCL, the required dress for dinner is no jeans or shorts. The suggested dress will vary by night and most people will be nicely dressed.

Luckily, this board will be where people will hear criticism. Most people would never say such rude things in person.

There are rules and suggestions everywhere. Dressing for dinner does add to the cruise experience. I am a teacher. There is nothing in writing, but was told never wear jeans to school, except on a fund raiser or jean Friday day. I would never think to protest this suggestion. My husband and I talked about this last night. He said he truely enjoys dressing up. He said, sometimes you have to make an effort packing to include everything, but it is well worth it. If they don't want to dress on formal night there are plenty of other options. We feel very comfortable dressed up. I think jeans are not comfortable, since my waist has become a little larger. The dinning room is a formal dinning room. All the cruises we have been on, people were dressed very appropriately and respected the suggestion. On the Brillance, people were dressed in church type clothes every night. Once, I felt under dressed by what I wore. On formal nights everyone looked lovely and there was excitement in the air.The evening felt very special. We stayed out late that night. Even at the shows, walking around the ship, and in the lounges--most everyone was in their formal attire. My three kids enjoy dressing up--it has been a good experience for them. My son has to wear a suit jacket one day a week to school and dress shirts the other days. With him it is expected and he has never complained. If you want to wear jeans every night--do so--I won't tell you to leave the dinning room. However, some people who chose not to follow the suggestions--are more comfortable eating at the other options. We had some friends cruise and they told us they spent most of their time in their room--getting room service--or eating in the Winjammer. It was the first time they were away from the kids and they viewed it as a second Honeymoon. They ate in the dinning room the last night and left their waiters tips--as if they had been there all week. I thought that was honorable.

See, it's people like you on these boards that made me write the original post. I am taking nice clothes for the formal nights, my husband and son are taking dark suits and ties, but perhaps in your eyes, it won't be nice enough. Other people have had encouraging words for me, you tell me to dress for dinner, go somewhere else or DON'T CRUISE, real nice.

Iszu wasn't being rude and you have nothing to be concerned about. In your op you mentioned you were taking your best outfit and no one asks more than that. The only ones who anyone gets upset about are people who make no effort to conform to the dress code at all.

When you're on the cruise I believe you will find that having all the guests in elegant clothes does make for a special atmosphere that wouldn't be achieved in shorts and tee's. I'd like to hear your thoughts about the formal nights after your cruise. Hopefully it will stay with you as the special moment it is meant to be and not a unneeded burden that some find it..

A commentary on the times and times have changed. On my first cruise there was no question what the word "formal" meant. It was tux's for men and gowns for woman This was on the Cunard Countess. This is what I was always brought up to believe and I enjoy that type of fomality on occasion (i.e on a cruise)...I am very comfortable in my Tux and I the cruise lines make it very easy these days for men especially since you can now rent a tux..I guess I am another old fashioned cruiser

One think I would like to point out is that most of these posts are addressing "dressing for dinner"... I believe the suggested dress code is for entire evening not just dinner...

There is a poll on the cruismates forum were the majority voted for keeping the dress codes as is and to have the Cruise Lines enforce them...

I thought Iszu sounded rude whether that was the intention or not. The OP never said she did not WANT to dress up or was not going to dress up but was merely expressing her anxiety about it. It's not a question of if there should be a dress code, or if people should follow the dress code but a simple vent - not ABOUT the dress code but her reaction to it. The rest of us were trying to reduce her anxiety and assure her she would be fine, not tell her to stay home.

Archived