Review -- Noordam 5/21 W. Med.

celmed

Hi Steve,

Yes, we would be interested ---we have another couple that we have met on the boards that we are doing a couple days with also---they are ,also,out of town and dont know their feelings on another couple but fine with us--We are not doing something in every port with them,I believe Palermo ,Valletta and Barcelona are free--they might want to join--He is doing most of the planning and will be back in a couple weeks--

Plan what you would want to do and let me know!

fb0075@aol.com

FRANK

When are you flying out?

The tour prices were what are quoted on their web sites. We shared the tours with another couple (Hi, Ken and Connie!). All tours were in very nice, newer vans with good A/C. We added at least a 10 percent tip to each fee, but you are not obligated to do so (they do not tip as much in Europe as we do here).

Wine and soda only are allowed to come aboard the ship -- no liquor or beer. If you pre-purchase liquor from Ship's Services it will be in your cabin on arrival (we ordered a bottle of Crown Royal for $38 and it was actually the Reserve, so who knows what you might score?!). But if you buy it from the ship's shop, they will keep it until the end of the cruise. We saw a very angry man in the shop practically throw the bottle at the cashier when she informed him that she couldn't let him take the bottle.

There are two formal nights on this cruise, both on the Sea Days. There were three the first time this cruise sailed, but our steward told us that the third one was cancelled after that first cruise. So that makes 2 formal, 2 informal (one of which is optional formal but I didn't see anyone participating) and 6 casual. Just right in my opinion! And many people were in formalwear on the formal nights, unlike what I've heard on other cruises.

To tjcox9 - we are scheduled on the 6/20 Eastern Med. Can you offer any insights or tips for sightseeing, particularly in Corfu, Katakolon and Messina, as that is where we haven't made our own arrangements yet. Also, any other tips for other ports would be appreciated. Thanks for the heads up on formal nights. You said you did back to backs. Was it the same for both, meaning 2/2/6 in terms of dress for evening?

We're not really into doing the ship's tours except in ports that we feel uncomfortable or distance is the issue.

In Corfu, we just walked to the old town, comfortable 20 minutes or so if you're physically OK. We just strolled around, had a nice lunch, browsed a little and headed back to the ship. It was not one of the highlights of our trip, but was a pleasant stop.

Katakalon is a pleasant little fishing village. Once again, we opted to not do a ship's tour as we were kind of "ruined" out by then and from our research, felt that Olympia was one to set out. Once again, we strolled the little village and had a wonderful lunch on the colorful waterfront.

In Messina, I took the ship's tour to Taormina which is a lovely little stop with views of Mt Etna (weather permitting) and the magnificent amphitheatre. It's a lovely stop with winding narrow streets, lots of flowers, great views. My traveling companion had been to Taormina twice before so just did Messina on his own. There are not a lot of highlights, but the main one is the clockworks in the bell tour that puts on a 20 minute show at noon.

We may not be good judges of what to do at ports because we like to stroll, see what there is to be seen on foot and enjoy some local food and beverage and people watch - also known as "soaking up the local color." Also, remember this was our second 10 day leg.

Overall, the itinerary was wonderful. Some were repeat ports for each of us and all were enjoyable.

As I recall, the documents listed 3 formal, 2 informal and 5 casual and it turned out to be 2 formal, 1 formal/informal optional, 2 informal and the rest casual. This was true of both 10 day itineraries, I believe.

This was the first time on HAL that I'd seen the optional approach but believe that was the one formal night that was not a sea day.

You'll excuse me if this is rather vague, but my mind is now moving forward to the next cruises.:D

You'll have a great time!!

I've been searching for reviews of the Noordam and Med cruises in general because (and you didn't hear this from me) Joel is going to be on the Noordam in July and August. Thank you for posting such detailed info about the ports (and everything.) I saved it for him and I know he will really appreciate having the scoop before he goes. EJM

All! Tee-hee!

We actually challenged ourselves to buy some cheap wines, trying to find something bad. We couldn't find a bad one. In fact, there is a supermarket across the street from the Monte Carlo pier (Carrefour) and you will see locals in there buying bottle after bottle of the 4- and 5-Euro wines. The same is true in Spain and Italy. How I wish it were true in the U.S.!

Try Trader Joe's, from what I understand they have good inexpensive wines.

I've been searching for reviews of the Noordam and Med cruises in general because (and you didn't hear this from me) Joel is going to be on the Noordam in July and August. Thank you for posting such detailed info about the ports (and everything.) I saved it for him and I know he will really appreciate having the scoop before he goes. EJM

Since I didn't hear it from you, I can't say that I'm delighted to learn that your son will be on my Noordam July 20th sailing! I've heard so many glorious reviews, and will look forward to hearing him in person! Thanks for the "non update"!

:)

Paul

Archived