Transfer London to Harwich

Well First Class Rail Travel isn't what it once was. I'm not too sure about the Cruise Train (as you can see from above I was wrong when I thought it had stopped) but First Class Accommodation on One Railway usually consists of a seperate compartment at the front of certain carriages. I'm afraid that all you get is the seat which is somewhat more private than the rest of the carriage (sliding door separates you from the rest of the travelling public) and the seats certainly look more comfortable.
So are the trains to Harwich all multiple-units, then? I've certainly been very comfortable in first class going to/from Ipswich on One services, but then it may just be because they run "proper" trains on the Norwich line.

I agree, though, that first class isn't worth it on the MUs.

Thanks all for your quick replies. It sounds as if there's no need to pay the extra Pounds for First class, crossing our fingers that a mid-day train on a weekday won't be full and we'll have room for our luggage.

Happy cruising!

Well, get there a bit early and then you can put your luggage by the door before anyone else does!! Likely to be other cruisers on also - might meet some fellow cruisers and make a social occasion of it!!!

For the normal scheduled trains, the timetable ought to say whether there are catering facilities on board, and if so whether there's a trolley service that brings refreshments to your seat or whether you have to go to a buffet car to get it. However, I wouldn't necessarily expect anything to be included in a first class fare; at most, I'd only expect tea/coffee/soft drinks to be included.

Worth pointing out that there are, in essence, two grades of train in England. The "One" trains tend to be multiple units (as noted by Iceeni) where you really don't get much for First Class, and indeed on many trains the staff do not check tickets so anyone will use it. (Thameslink as was, First Capital Connect as they are now known are very poor in this respect)

Then you get the Intercity trains. I use these for commuting - tea and coffee, small snack and newspaper brought to you at your seat, with a glass of wine in the evening or orange juice during the day. They'll also get food from the Buffet for you to save your legs.

You'll see you get a much better deal with First Class on long distance. Having said that, I'd use them - 3 +2 seating which is common on some commuter trains isn't pleasant.

Is luggage storage overhead, in a separate compartment, or at your feet like the tube?

We used the ONE train to get from London out to the pier in Harwich. There is no seperate area for luggage, either overhead or in a specific area. However....there was virtually no one else on the train! We had the whole car to ourselves. It was morning so it was the reverse of the commute direction into London. Consequently there was plenty of room for our luggage in the opposite seats, on the floor, wherever!

Thanks all for your quick replies. It sounds as if there's no need to pay the extra Pounds for First class, crossing our fingers that a mid-day train on a weekday won't be full and we'll have room for our luggage.

Happy cruising!

Hi Bruce!

We'll be on the train with you that morning. I haven't been too active on the boards lately....busy time at work, but I am desperately looking forward to our trip! :)

It looks like you can buy tickets online here:

http://www.onerailway.trainsfares.co.uk/buy_tickets/requirements/journey_requirements.asp?sitecode=ONE

I don't see where the One website distinguishes a cruise train separate from a regular train, so I am led to believe that they all go to Harwich International. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is the stop for the port, right?

Thanks to everyone for the information.

Cheers!

stacey

From my e-mails this year, there did not appear to be a special cruise train. However, someone else was informed that there was.

The one thing you can rely on is that anything that stops at Harwich International and goes to Liverpool Street, will be the right one!! Just make sure you don't have to change at Manningtree if you have lots of luggage!!!

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I had wanted to be the cruise train at 12:05 on 7/28, but now we would like to stay in London until 2pm to see more sights. Does anyone know if the cruise ship train is really worth being on at 1205???.

Thank You

Sharon

Hi Bruce!

We'll be on the train with you that morning. I haven't been too active on the boards lately....busy time at work, but I am desperately looking forward to our trip! :)

I don't see where the One website distinguishes a cruise train separate from a regular train, so I am led to believe that they all go to Harwich International. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is the stop for the port, right?

Thanks to everyone for the information.

Cheers!

stacey

Hi, Stacey - we've been busy too and haven't been on the Roll Call thread very much. We're buying a new condo, and moving just two weeks before the cruise. Oh, yeah, plus working. Not too much going on, right? We figure we'll relax once we're on our flight to Heathrow.

Thanks for the link. From checking the schedule on the "one" website, it looks as if there is a non-stop train to Harwich International (the cruise/ferry terminal) once an hour at 18 minutes past the hour. We'll probably aim for the 12:18 train. They're only 1 hour 25 minutes so even the next one should be plenty of time.

See you on board, if not on the train!

Bruce

Archived