Venice water taxi/water bus & getting to San Marcos Sq.

Does anyone know how far the cruise ship port is from San Marcos? Anyone know apprx. cost of water taxi there?

Anyone know if taxi charge per person or for the taxi and how many does it hold.

Trying to coordinate transport for 6 back and forth to ship for a wonderful last hurrah supper..

If need water bus how late do they run and what do they charge? Thanks to all who can help.

Barcelona to Venice on Oceania - "Insignia"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;3;18;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Buenos Aires to Rio Oceania - "Insignia"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;2;2;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0300

mermaidswim.gif

icon_treasurebox.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ClaudiaF:

Does anyone know how far the cruise ship port is from San Marcos? Anyone know apprx. cost of water taxi there?

Anyone know if taxi charge per person or for the taxi and how many does it hold.

Trying to coordinate transport for 6 back and forth to ship for a wonderful last hurrah supper..

If need water bus how late do they run and what do they charge? Thanks to all who can help.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since no one replied as yet I will try since I am planning a trip to Italy this Fall.Anyway, from the port to SM is about 20 minutes.Water taxis are more $ than the water bus(vaporetti) and I believe the taxis only hold 4 and maybe about 50 euro(I added in some extra from what I know due to the $)The water bus will take you all.I do not know the hours,But I am sure you will beable to check them out when you arrive in Venice.I sure hope you all have a great cruise. icon_biggrin.gif

Karen

Ü

Water taxis charge from 65 to 85 euros per trip depending on how far you are going. You might be able to get a lower fare for a short trip within Venice itself. They seat anywhere from 4 to 10 or more from what we saw when we were there. There seemed to be water taxis on the Grand Canal at least as late as Midnight although not as many as you saw earlier in the day. The water bus services start closing down relatively early although some of the routes run 24 by 7. I'm not sure if the cruise ship can arrange for a taxi to come and pick you up for this kind of occasion or not. You would need to talk to them at the Pursor or the tour desk. Most ships offer a special waterbus service for passengers that goes back and forth to San Marcos and back starting relatively early in the day and lasting until on our cruise Midnight. You paid $10 a person for a ticket that let you use the service as many times during the day that you wanted to use it.

That might be a good option for getting to your dinner and then all you would need to worry about would be getting a water taxi back to the ship if you were there later than the service.

Hope this helps.

HAL Noordam 3/97 West Carib

Hal Westerdam 12/97 East Carib

HAL Veendam 11/98 East Carib

Hal Zaandam 12/00 South Carib

HAL Veendam 10/01 Panama Canal

RCCL Enchantment 09/02 W.Carib

Costa Atlantica 12/02 E.Carib

HAL Noordam 03/03 S.Carib

Golden Princess 07/03 Med

Celebrity Zenith 12/03 W.Carib

HAL Maasdam 05/04 Canada

Hi Chick's pal, thank you for the info. We will be on the Millie as well in July. Do you remember what time the free shuttle between the ship and San Marco (and back) stops running at night? (the Millie will be embarking overnight in Venice, and we would like to enjoy Venice's music/night scenes in the evenings). Any cafe with music or hotel lobby music you would recommend? "Ltgl"

I was told that if you buy the Venice Card it includes transportation to and from the airport to venice and the water taxies and restrooms for a lot less junior was 28/day and senior34/day. Is this true?

Thanks Dianna

If you purchase on line..it gives places to pick up the cards..but, not sure if one of the places is at the port? Do you know?

Barcelona to Venice on Oceania - "Insignia"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;3;18;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Buenos Aires to Rio Oceania - "Insignia"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;2;2;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0300

mermaidswim.gif

icon_treasurebox.gif

When we ordered our Venice cards online last year there were at least two places to pick up the cards, one was near St Mark's square and the other was at the Piazzo Roma. When we arrived on a Sunday the booth for the Venice card was closed on Sunday's but we were able to get our card at the ACTV booth that was nearby. Evidently the cards that were reserved were left there but you had to pay cash (euros only) no credit cards. Also we had ordered the highest level Venice card (I don't remember the color code) but when we tried to use them on the special airport water bus we were told they didn't accept those but the ACTV waterbuses did. We got told the same thing when we tried to use the Venice card to take the airport water bus back to the airport in spite of the fact that we had been by the Venice card booth by St Marks and had been assured that the card should have worked for the airport waterbus. By the way the fee per person from St Marks to the airport was 10 euros each but if you got picked up at another stop closer to the airport, Fundamental Nova for instance it was 7 euros each.

Again my advice would be careful about purchasing a Venice card and expecting to be able to get all the benefits that they advertise. The ACTV sells a multi day pass that allows you to ride the local waterbuses the same as the Venice pass does. The biggest other advantage is the free or reduced admission to a number of major Venice attractions including St Marks and the Doge's Palace as well as other museums near St Marks square.

Have a great trip.

HAL Noordam 3/97 West Carib

Hal Westerdam 12/97 East Carib

HAL Veendam 11/98 East Carib

Hal Zaandam 12/00 South Carib

HAL Veendam 10/01 Panama Canal

RCCL Enchantment 09/02 W.Carib

Costa Atlantica 12/02 E.Carib

HAL Noordam 03/03 S.Carib

Golden Princess 07/03 Med

Celebrity Zenith 12/03 W.Carib

HAL Maasdam 05/04 Canada

EBoca and "Live":

The shuttle between ship & San Marco took about 30 minutes at most.

For anyone planning an advance arrival in Venice without benefit of Celebrity-provided air, whose first encounter with Celebrity will be via this shuttle from San Marco: Please note that the pontoon (dock) for the shuttle may be VERY poorly marked. It was when we visited, and we wandered for 30 minutes with bags in tow. (Found a 8 x 11 paper sign posted on a rail at waist level in a very crowded place.) Assuming all is the same this year as last, the pontoon is located right across the sidewalk from the public garden restroom entrance, near Harry's Bar. There is a waterbus ticket office right there also, so if you see that, you're on the right track. Don't be afraid to walk down the dock and look in the dock's shelter for uniformed Celebrity personnel.

I will check my information and tomorrow let you know what the shuttle schedule was like so you know how late you can stay in Venice the first night.

You're going to have an incredible trip!

Archived