Cabo,Mazatian,Puerto Vallarta Shore Tours Question

Guest ljfreitas

Guest ljfreitas

I'm thinking of taking these shore tours. When we take our cruise on the Vision of the Seas on Nov 12, 2006.

1. Cabo San Lucas Coastal Highlights Tour.

2. Mazatian City Tour and Folkloric Show.

3. Puerto Vallarta City Tour.

If anyone has been on any of these tours. I would like to know what did you think of them, Is it worth the money,etc...

We haven't done any of those things, so I have no advice. We have a teenager so we look for more adventurous tours! ;) We did the De Los Veranos Canopy Tour (zip lines) in Puerto Vallarta, Randi's Happy Horses in Mazatlan, and in Cabo, we just grabbed a glass bottom boat on the pier for $15 they will take you around the rock formations (which are breath taking!) Afterwards, Son and Hubby snorkled a bit at Lover's Beach while the girls went into town to shop and have a Margarita at Cabo Wabo!

I can tell you that at every port there are many many many people there just waiting to take you on any kind of tour you would like to go on for a fraction of the price of the cruise tours. But I know some do like the security of booking through the cruise line and are willing to pay the price!

Whatever you end up doing, have a great time and a lovely cruise!

(BTW - I love your picture of Huell - THAT'S AMAZING!!!) :D

Our first trip to Mazatlan we did the City Tour and were disappointed. On and off the bus constantly stopping at the Diamond stores and such. I am sure others have enjoyed this tour but we are not shoppers for that kind of stuff and we enjoyed the shopping right there at the pier. We now do Randi's and I can't imagine going to Mazatlan and not seeing our favorite tour guide, that beautiful beach and eating at Victor's. I PV we like to go to Krystal Resort and relax at their beautiful pool. The Coastal Highlights tour in Cabo was nice - we did that the first time. The last time we just walked into town, went to the CaboWabo and then back to the ship.

This was our 2nd trip to Cabo and we did the Coastal Highlights tour this time. We enjoyed it. Shortly after leaving the pier area, we stopped at a oceanside restaurant for a beverage and some photos. From there we traveled to San Jose del Cabo where we visited the cathedral (although there were worshipers there, so we did not get a "tour". But, we were permitted to walk around quietly and take pictures if we wished). We then had about 1/2 hr to shop, and there were some nice shops. From there, we went to the Cacti Mundo, the catus garden, which was very interesting, although not quite what I expected. We then went to a glass-blowing factory, where we watched two demonstrations of blown-glass and then had a short time to shop there. We had the option of being dropped in town to shop or to go back to the pier. Overall, I thought it was a good value for what we saw and what it cost.

Hi,

We're just off the Pride. We didn't do any of these tours either, but I did book Mazatlan Frank for his city tour/beach resort tour. You may want to research Frank's tour as you are on a smaller van vs. the big bus that the ship's tour uses. We had a great time.

I just returned from off the Carnival Pride today.

I did the de los veranos canopy tour and had a blast.

But my favorite part was my "colonial and city tour" with Mazatlan Frank.

Look around this board and you will see a ton of info about him, but let me tell you......none of it comes close. The guy is soooo full of information and fun it is almost ridiculous. You are in a private van so you don't have to be herded around like sheep.

He even lets you customize the tour. For instance, my girlfriend and I weren't interested in shopping so he skipped that part so we could bodysurf on the beach for a little bit. We saw 250 year old churches, he even let us hang out for a bit at his friend's beautiful hacienda in Concordia. (a little colonial town near mazatlan) You learn and do so much with him without ever getting bored. If you do a mexican riviera cruise, you have GOT to check him out.

If you need any info about him or his email or website or anything, just email me. (i dont' know if we are allowed to post links or not)

Oh, and in cabo we just grabbed a glass bottom boat too. I would suggest doing something organized in PV or maztlan, but cabo is pretty easy to just cruise around on your own, especially since you are there for such a short time.

Best of luck......

Eric

As a general rule, the ship's excursion "city tour" is little more than a bus ride from one shopping opportunity to the next. Heavy on the shopping and lite on the tour.

Mazatlan Frank is highly regarded. What are you interested in doing or seeing in Vallarta?

I failed to mention that the City Tour we were disappointed in was through the ship. I have heard great think about Mazatlan Frank's tour - we did meet him at Randi's pickup location on the Pier. He and Randi are friends and they provide the same good service.

Guest ljfreitas
As a general rule, the ship's excursion "city tour" is little more than a bus ride from one shopping opportunity to the next. Heavy on the shopping and lite on the tour.

Mazatlan Frank is highly regarded. What are you interested in doing or seeing in Vallarta?

Hi MSN,

Thanks for the info on the City Tour offered by the ship.I'm glad that I didn't buy my tickets yet. Everyone here has recommend Mazatlan Frank,and that's who we will book out tour with.

As to your question what are we interested in doing or seeing in Mazatlan. We would like to just tour the City.

I just returned from off the Carnival Pride today.

I did the de los veranos canopy tour and had a blast.

But my favorite part was my "colonial and city tour" with Mazatlan Frank.

Look around this board and you will see a ton of info about him, but let me tell you......none of it comes close. The guy is soooo full of information and fun it is almost ridiculous. You are in a private van so you don't have to be herded around like sheep.

He even lets you customize the tour. For instance, my girlfriend and I weren't interested in shopping so he skipped that part so we could bodysurf on the beach for a little bit. We saw 250 year old churches, he even let us hang out for a bit at his friend's beautiful hacienda in Concordia. (a little colonial town near mazatlan) You learn and do so much with him without ever getting bored. If you do a mexican riviera cruise, you have GOT to check him out.

If you need any info about him or his email or website or anything, just email me. (i dont' know if we are allowed to post links or not)

Oh, and in cabo we just grabbed a glass bottom boat too. I would suggest doing something organized in PV or maztlan, but cabo is pretty easy to just cruise around on your own, especially since you are there for such a short time.

Best of luck......

Eric

Hey Eric,

We are cruising on the Pride in a couple of weeks. I hope you write a review. I would love to hear about your week.

One question that I have is about the slide? Any info on this? Was it up or did they give you any indication of when it would be up and running?

Thanks for any info.

Oops, sorry, I didn't get to finish that last one. We saw lots of work going on (mostly carpeting) but nothing near the slide. The stairs to the slide were roped off, and we didn't see anyone going near them. Our last day at sea was so windy that the top decks were closed in the morning - I'm not sure that they could work on the slide under those conditions.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news' date=' Dawn, but the slide is not only closed but also dismantled. I read that it may be replaced when the Pride is in drydock next.[/quote']

Thanks for the update. I had read previously that they had dismantled the slide but that they were hoping to install the new one in May or June. Looks like that won't happen.

Hi' date='

We're just off the Pride. We didn't do any of these tours either, but I did book Mazatlan Frank for his city tour/beach resort tour. You may want to research Frank's tour as you are on a smaller van vs. the big bus that the ship's tour uses. We had a great time.[/quote']

Hi Gracie's Mom, We have Frank booked for Dec. Also doing the city/beach resort tour. Could you give me details please. We've heard so many wonderful things about Frank. :)

Thanks,

JoAnn

I agree with everything you read about Frank here at Cruise Critic. His website is an excellent representation of what you will experience. I found his website on CruiseCritic, so I assume it's okay to post it here (mazatlan-frank.com) Sorry if I broke a rule.

He was very easy to contact and requires no prepayment. We were a party of 7 and there was one other family who went with us. We saw the typical tourist things as well as some of the less-typical things like the residential areas. Frank does an excellent job. The small group is vastly superior to the big buses that we saw.

I booked the city tour/beach resort because I was worried that we may not be able to swim in the ocean because of jellyfish in May. The resort is very pleasant and I would highly recommend it. We ate first at the open-air restaurant on the beach (pictures on his website.) The vendors are prevented from bothering you at the resort, but you can see them walking up and down the beach. Along with your meal, you will get drink coupons. Frank will provide towels and show you around the resort. We swam in the pools and also played on the beach a bit. The resort is an easy walk to shopping also.

I thought Frank did an awesome job. It was easily the highlight of our Mexican Riviera shore excursions.

Typical Mexican food - we can't remember if it was off of the kids' menu or the adult menu, but my kids ate their usual American kid food (grilled cheese maybe?). We used the drink coupons for pina coladas/margaritas/lemonades/sodas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I too have booked Frank because of all the wonderful things written on cruisecritic. We are sailing on the Diamond on 11/11. Does anyone have another tour guide like Frank in PV and cabo? Looking for tours of the cities and countryside if anyone has any help.Thanks

Guest ljfreitas
I too have booked Frank because of all the wonderful things written on cruisecritic. We are sailing on the Diamond on 11/11. Does anyone have another tour guide like Frank in PV and cabo? Looking for tours of the cities and countryside if anyone has any help.Thanks

Hi,

I believe that Mazatian Frank is also doing PV tours now. You may want to check with him...

Leo

Hey Leo, I just wanted to say HI from a fellow Freitas!

I wish I could help you with your decisions but I have not taken the exact tours you mention. We did take a Matzatlan tour but we didn't book through the ship or take Frank's. We weren't even going to take it but when we got to the terminal building, a tour was forming and it was $15 each. It was probably the best value we've ever gotten. A nice guide and comfortable bus. He took us all over Matzatlan and then to a beach restaraunt for some of those famous shrimp dinners. We also had some free time at the Gold Zone to wander and shop.

Our favorite excursion in Mazatlan was Randi's Horseback riding at Stone Island on a different occasion.

Have a great cruise!

Rick Freitas

Archived