costa maya questions

In Costa Maya the actual port area is extremely nice but very touristy... my choice would either be to take an excursion over to Uvero Beach and spend the day or go outside the port area and catch a cab over to Majahual, the little fishing village, and spend the day. In Majahual there are shops, restaurants, bars, parasailing, massages, hair braiding and jet skis.... The beach is beautiful and unspoiled ...

I just was in Costa Maya on my Carnival Glory cruise in May, and this was my favorite stop. When you arrive, you'll be in a tourist area with plenty of shops, food, a pool, etc., but I suggest leaving and going to Majahual. To get there, simply walk all the way through the tourist village to where the cabs (vans) are waiting to take people to Majahual. The cost is $3pp, and Majahual is just a five minute drive. It's a beautiful little village with white sand roads and a lovely beach. The restaurants there all have tables and chairs on the beach. We loved the Cat's Meow (the first restaurant you'll see going into town).

If you want to do an excursion, you can also go on a Mayan ruins tour from Majahual through Ivan and David. They're a smaller tour group, and one of the guides was born on the ruins site. We had an exceptional time on this tour. There is quite a bit of information about this over on the Costa Maya boards, so be sure to check it out.

And a note on Cozumel: we actually went there as well, but the island is so devastated from Hurricane Wilma that it was more depressing than anything. Costa Maya--especially Majahual--is a far better stop in my opinion.

Enjoy!

I agree with Books4sail. I was there in May as well and Cozumel still has a lot of hurricane damage.

You will have a much better day at Costa Maya and you will not have to worry about tendering. I spent the day at Majahual. The beach is beautiful.

We much preferred Costa Maya over Cozumel this time. Went into Majahual, got a seat under a tent, 10 feet from the surf and loved every minute of it...especially the massage on the beach! We spent most of the afternoon there. Yes, the vendors can get a little pushy sometimes, but a firm no thank you takes care of it. Whether it be strolling Mayans posing for pictures or being serenaded by the strolling musicians, it was a great day~:D

They also changed our itenerary to Costa Maya, i really like Cozumel and hope I will like Costa Maya just as much.

Although i really wish Carnival would have informed us of this change instead of having to find out on CC.

Are you talking about the change on the Valor? Because that was changed after the hurricane last Fall. We were scheduled to go on the Valor and they changed ports from Cozumel to Costa Maya and we had 24 hours to cancel without penalty and we did and changed to the Miracle. The Miracle went to both Cozumel and Costa Maya. Just watch out for the vendors if you go to the fishing town of Majahual - 2 miles from the Port.

Archived