Best Piano Entertainer on Carnival?

CrusinAgain

I am so glad to hear a positive change is about to happen on the Glory. There have been sooo many bad reviews of the Piano Bar over the last couple of months of two different singers.

I have heard a lot about Ron...

too bad I will miss him...

BUT>>>>

Just reading the posts by Vince is really getting me pumped up.

I always hit the Karaoke scene and do my singing, and then I hit

the Piano bar for a late night.

I will be on the Glory in September, so by then, I am sure the rep will be that

the Piano Bar is a happening place.

Please...dont let us down Vince.

Yes, I do play around NYC, most often at the Duplex. I've also done shows at Club Getaway, up in CT...

as for my next ship after Glory, i think i'll be going back to FLA in July for a few weeks, not sure which ship. After that, who knows???

Hey man, i've played at the Duplex. HA HA! I was visiting NYC 2 years ago to watch Dream Theater. Me and my now ex-girlfriend(see what ships do to relationships?) were walking around in the village and they had a singer audition thing there. I asked them if I could take over the piano to do my song and they let me play one, and they wanted another one. Pretty much the start of what got me into the whole solo piano thing.

I am so glad to hear a positive change is about to happen on the Glory. There have been sooo many bad reviews of the Piano Bar over the last couple of months of two different singers.

I have heard a lot about Ron...

too bad I will miss him...

BUT>>>>

Just reading the posts by Vince is really getting me pumped up.

I always hit the Karaoke scene and do my singing, and then I hit

the Piano bar for a late night.

I will be on the Glory in September, so by then, I am sure the rep will be that

the Piano Bar is a happening place.

Please...dont let us down Vince.

I'll do my best, make sure you introduce yourself when you're there. Spread the word around the ship, the more people in there, the more crazy it will get!!

I'll do my best, make sure you introduce yourself when you're there. Spread the word around the ship, the more people in there, the more crazy it will get!!

Also, think of some songs that you want to sing in the piano bar!! If you're waiting awhile for a song in karoake, come on in and sing one. I'll try and learn a few if you give me some notice!

That's a pretty crazy story on how you got started. Watch now someone will sing in the karaoke room and take one of the production singer's job now. ha ha

Don't laugh...someone heard me on the Pride (in karaoke) and offered me a job. (although it was supper club, not production)

Having a cousin who has had the Omni Royal Orleans gig for 100 years, I know how hard those jobs are to come by sometimes...because when folks get them...they don't let them go.

Ok, now for my vote. Of course your "first" is always your favorite. His name was Jim Cummins and he was wonderful. He was so funny, because if you wanted to sing...he would gleefully say yes...and then change keys in the middle of the songs to see if you could really keep up. We had a blast!!!

He is no longer "cruising". The last I heard he had a land gig in Florida. But he still dear to our hearts!!

Whoever is on the Conquest right now is not good. We were on the Conquest last week and I have never seen such low energy in a piano bar on Carnival. The entertainer did nothing to get the crowd going.

I keep seeing this in all the Conquest Reviews. I sure hope Carnival is listening and changes this person out before August!

The worst I have ever seen was on Inspiration in 2001. The guy was probably mid-50s, couldn't sing, could barely play, and was always trying to hit on the daughter of a lady who was sitting around the piano. Pretty sad actually.

Also, think of some songs that you want to sing in the piano bar!! If you're waiting awhile for a song in karoake, come on in and sing one. I'll try and learn a few if you give me some notice!

I sang in the Talent Show on the Celebration, and Brie was having to assist with keyboards for the band. She kept my music (My Way) and said she hoped I would come in. We sang several songs together and had a blast!!

I am real big on the "Crooners" type of music. I am trying to learn every Frank Sinatra song I can get ahold of. I have to laugh at all the songs based on cities..."New York", "Chicago," "I left my heart in San Francisco," and so many others.

I love karaoke, but singing with a live musician who can play the sone the way you want it sung is so much better!!

I will be on Sept,. 16...get the place hopping!!

JB

O.K.....Club GetAway and NYC....you are talking about my neck of the woods and I will definetly have to check that out! Club GetAway does singles weekends and some of my friends and I have been know to hit those (mostly the single parents weekends)

As far as Carnival goes.... I have not seen Barry Miller mentioned....he was FABULOUS when I sailed the Glory earlier this year!! I had a blast in there every night!!

I have sailed with Damian 2 times and while he was great on my first cruise with him I must say that i was disappointed on the second sailing. He was ornery and just not much fun.

Just from your posts here I am sure that I would love to sail with either Mark or Ron! The piano bar is one of my favorite night spots on the ship!! :D

Damien Brell was on the Carnival Triumph last week 6/17/06 - 6/24/06. We had a ton of people that were there everynight. We referred to them as our Piano Bar family. Everybody that was there enjoyed it.

yea i love the duplex, my second home.

Oh, my! When I was living/working in NYC the Duplex was my regular Saturday night hang. By just being a regular drunkard there, my style was influenced a great deal by Gerry Dieffenbach, Saturday's entertainer. Of course in those days I was a project manager at an HMO in lower Manhattan. Didn't make the switch to piano man until Nov 02. SO many good times in the city. I swear I'm not sure how I made it home some nights!

Ron

When I started my new life as a piano bar entertainer three and a half years ago, my approach was to learn the classic rock tunes first and then branch out to other genre. My current repitoir is pretty well rounded and I'm constantly working on expanding and diversifying it. I keep a list of songs that guests request, prioritize it, and nick away at the list when I sit down to learn new material. I don't usually play show tunes, as they tend to send people running for the exit. But ya never know what I might play...

Mr. Ron Pass,

I'm very much looking forward to pulling up a stool in your bar on the Valor 7/9/06. I spent most of my last cruise in the piano bar on the Inspiration. Anyway, back to the subject at hand. Mr. Pass, do you tend to stick with pop and rock mostly or do you work a few show tunes in too? (I love it all pop, rock, country, punk, but sometimes I love a good showtune). And in the pop vein, got any Neil Finn (Split Enz, Crowded House) in your repetoire or do I have to wait for another cruise with a Kiwi piano man to hear my favorite song "Fall At Your Feet"?

Just curious...

Laura

I don't usually play show tunes, as they tend to send people running for the exit. But ya never know what I might play...

Ron is a true rocker... but I have to say that he did play a great "All That Jazz" very, very late one night.... must have been after many, many "socials!"

I have to say that I just love this thread....and that all you piano guys are on it... you are all really appreciated!

As far as Carnival goes.... I have not seen Barry Miller mentioned....he was FABULOUS when I sailed the Glory earlier this year!! I had a blast in there every night!!

I was on the Glory (Feb 3rd) and yes Barry was great. It seems like the Glory switches piano guys alot. Is this the norm?

Hey Tom,

I just got word from my agent that i'll be signing on as the new piano bar guy on the Glory July 1st. I can't wait! I signed off of the Liberty over in Europe about 3 weeks ago. Even though it's beautiful over there, there's nothing like a Caribbean crowd in the Piano Bar and i'm itchin to get back!

Even though i've been working with Carnival for a little over a year, i've learned lots of songs. And i'm more of a rocker on the piano. It's very rare for me not to be sweating after I play a song. I demand that everyone gets involved and has a great time. So I hope that's the kind of atmosphere that you're looking for. That week should be a blast anyway since i'm fresh on a new ship and ready to rock and let loose!

Hi Vince -

So glad to hear you will be on the Glory beginning July 1st. We will be there too with Tom & Cheryl and a group of us. We love the Piano Bar - see you in a few days!

Rich and Sue

Mark and Vince,

so who's going to be on the Glory 11/25? That's the sailing the Saturday after Thanksgiving. We had a ball in the piano bar on the Conquest in November of 2004 then we were totallly disapointed on the Inspiration in Nov 2005--so we're really looking for a good time again this year. Hope it's one of ya'll.

if vince is done by then, it will possibly be me. but still too soon to tell for sure...

Well I hope it is one of you and the that the place is rocking. I'll be watching the boards between now and then.

Archived