Please help me with tough (albeit nice) cruise decision!

yseone

Hello fellow cruisers!

I am debating a difficult question. We have just returned from a WONDERFUL Island Princess Hawaii trip that we took April 21. It was our second time on that same 15 day cruise and we loved it even more this last time.

I am so sad to hear that the Island will not be doing this same trip in 2008 but it will be the Diamond instead.

Here is my dilemma. Do I book again for April 2007 on the Island (which mind you is only 10 tiny months away) or do I wait and do this trip on the Diamond in 2008?

We always like to raise the money to pay for our trips BEFORE we leave and this would be a very tight squeeze. It is the 4 of us adults in one cabin which yes sounds hard to fathom but we make it work so we can afford to cruise at all. But is it worth it again to sail the Island one more time before she leaves for unknown waters or should we wait and experience the Diamond?

Help me please all my cruising friends out there! We don't fly thus Alaska etc. is beyond our reach and Hawaii is the most exotic we can hope for.

Cheers!

Yasmine :)

I would go for it. If I liked something as much as you seem to I would make my plans for 2007. So you cannot go out to dinner as much or you

have hot dogs and hamburgers a bit more often. Life is to short go for it and have a super time.

While I would generally be all for taking a cruise asap, I would suggest you wait and experience the Diamond. Now, there are lots of folks who don't like the Grand class ships, as they believe them too large. For what my opinion is worth, we sailed Star and Sapphire and Diamond is a sister ship of Sapphire. It may be had to believe but I do think the slight design changes Star to Sapphire make a great difference. Those two ships are just beautiful.

And as for Alaska? If you live in LA and don't fly, there is always Amtrak. The Coast Starlight gets up to San Francisco where Princess AND Celebrity do Alaska cruises. Also up to Seattle and Vancouver. Also, Celebrity sails a few Alaska trips from LA in May.

If you really enjoyed the Island Princess I would sail with her again. But, this is a tough one since I loved both the Sapphire (Alaska) and the Island Princess (Hawaii). But we did make a choice. We are going to be sailing on the Island again in March 2007 (we first did it this year). We felt both ships gave us a wonderful experience but prefer sailing with less passengers.

In regards to Alaska (I know you didn't ask but just my 2 cents worth), I do not like to fly either so we took Amtrak to Seattle, wouldn't do it without a room of your own. Don't let not flying keep you from experiencing all the wonders of Alaska. We will probably make the trip again in 2008.

I also would suggest Amtrak, to San Francisco and then RT to Alaska, or Amtrak to Seattle, RT to Alaska, and Amtrak back. Even Amtrak to Seattle, and Amtrak bus into Vancouver.

We've taken the train from the SF Bay area to Seattle/Vancouver, and the reverse, in conjunction with 3 night coastals several times.

The sleeper accomodations are pretty good (but not like the Pullman's of yesterear). Amtrak's on-time performance is not very good (build in extra time in your schedule), and the food continues to deteriorate, but the scenery is great!

In 2004, we took the Coast Starlight from Oxnard (at that time, the two closest stations to us that you can check in baggage was Downtown LA:eek: and Oxnard, but since then Van Nuys has been added to the route) to Seattle. If your cruise leaves from Vancouver, there's service from Seattle to that city.

We booked a family bedroom for the three of us. A major caveat is that the trains are often running late as Amtrak doesn't have first priority to the rails and often gets sidetracked. and sometimes there's a problem that requires bus service (almost happened to us). Pad the trip at least a day.

My first question is how you know that Diamond is replacing Island in 2008, since there's nothing on the Princess site?:confused:

I would sail the Diamond: (a) variety is the spice of life and (b) we've sailed both and prefer the Diamond. We enjoyed our sailings on both ships, mind you, and are splitting hairs, but I think the Diamond was a more stable rider than Island, which is really important sailing across the Pacific.

You might also consider the Royal Caribbean sailings to Hawaii....:D

A huge THANK YOU to everyone for all of their replies and input. Now I have even more to think about!

Casshew--My mom does not fly and I take after her--the one flight I ever took was enough for me!

Critterchick--Diamond Princess to Hawaii 2008 sailings are open through a couple off the specialty cruise reservations sites. Princess always seems to lag behind. I still can't seem to find out what the Island will be doing in 2008 since they took her off the South America route originally planned for her.

Again thanks for all your helpful replies and I hope to make the best decision very soon. Yup really soon. Anytime now. My brain hurts now...I have to go!

Cheers!

Yasmine ;)

Archived